Buffalo County NEGenWeb Project, © MJH, 1999-2010|
LINKS TO OTHER SITES
Visit these useful sites, then click on your "Back" button to return here.
IN BUFFALO COUNTY
- Historic Kearney Hub Newspapers, June 1889 through April 1922, on-line and searchable. Click on Historic Kearney Hub Newspapers Online. You can select dates from that screen, or click on "Advanced Search" to enter a surname or other word.
- 1860 Buffalo County Census.
- 1870 Buffalo County Census
- 1880 census (free) at Familysearch.org
- 1880 census (free) at Ancestry.com
- Amherst High School Alumni.
- Elm Creek High School.
- Pleasanton High School Alumni, 1923 - 2006.
- City of Kearney site.
- Buffalo County Historical Society
Be sure to check their Buffalo Tales which contain hundreds of articles.
- History of Pleasanton from Summer 1978 NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - Vol 1, No 1, Page 25.
- Buffalo County Register of Deeds.
- National Registor of Historic Places in Buffalo County.
- Jane Graff's Our Towns - History of towns in Buffalo County.
- Historic Bridges in Buffalo County
- Current and historic post offices, with dates of operation. Select your county of choice.
- FAMILY HISTORY WEBSITES of some Buffalo County researchers
***For websites about specific surnames, check the Surnames Page, and follow the links to the researcher. URLs are listed on the Researcher Profiles page.
- Steve Baker's Gibbon Connection
- Rod Stover's family history, which includes Stover, Clayton, Higgins, and Ewer families, and other articles of biographical and historical interest.
- Himmelright web site, of Sheila Himmelright Cave.
- Lesley Luth's website for these Buffalo County surnames -- Luth, Lueth AND Luetje.
- Laurel Busch's site which includes Gormley, Tappan, Gates, Krause, and Wiltse.
- Mona Houser's site including surnames Labs, Mueller, Rieckmann, Rusch, and Schukar.
- Nicole Carr's family site that includes Sober and Loffer from the Shelton area.
- Connie Spindel's site that includes Andersen, Gibson, Seaman, etc.
- Randy Fisher's site that includes Fisher, Duncan, McConnell, McLellan, Anderson, Young, Vest, Steinhauser, etc.
- Carol Thatcher Hall's photos of Thatcher, Haug, Vohland and Donaldson.
- Tom Brown's site that includes Daul and Milbourn
The Nebraska USGenWeb site has an awesome collection of resources on line. Here are links to a few of them. Go to NEGenWeb and spend some time exploring the resources and on-line library.
- Nebraska County Unknown - This is a wonderful site full of tips and helps.
- The NeGenWeb Project Resource center - for a lot of help in Nebraska. Don't miss this one!
Compendium of History Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska which includes articles about these men with Buffalo County connections:
Chr. H. Ahrendt, James T. Burdick, Joseph W.Cassel, Reuben E. Glass, and Lafe Paist.
Compendium of History of Western Nebraska which contains articles about these Buffalo County connections: Elisha Cunningham Calkins, Platte Collegiate Institute, Kearny Military Academy, Albert S. Ross, and William S. Moore.
- The index of towns and counties in the 1890 Nebraska State Gazetteer.
- Nebraska Place Names,1925, by county or alphabetical.
- Maps and other geographic helps for Nebraska.
- Dates of Formation of Counties in Nebraska.
- South Central Nebraska Genealogical Society for Kearney County research.
Nebraska State Historical Society - located at 1500 "R" Street, Lincoln, NE 68508. Toll free phone number: (800) 833-6747
- Extracts of Nebraska Newspapers. An awesome site for searching for articles, state-wide. It includes indexes to obituaries from the Kearney Hub, October 1999 - November, 2000, as well as to many older articles.
- Photos and letters from early Nebraska. Search for "Buffalo County" or a surname, a town, or "school", "farm", "family", "church", etc. Click here for a list of Buffalo County Surnames in these photos.
- US Geological Survey site - gives locations of rivers, lakes, cemeteries, towns, etc. Enter "Buffalo" in the county box, and "Nebraska" in the state box for a list of 597 features. Or enter the type of feature you are searching for, such as "school", "cemetery", etc.
- Pam Rietch's 1895 US Atlas
- Nebraska State Genealogical Society
- Statewide and Regional Genealogical Societies and Libraries - includes information on research in Nebraska State Historical Society Library.
- Nebraska Vital Records - includes information on birth, death, and marriage records.
- Nebraska birth certificates can now be ordered on-line. Scroll down to "Electronically submit a birth certificate request."
- Official Nebraska State Government site
- Nebraska adoption and Orphan Train
- Railroads in Nebraska
- Dick Taylor's Oldtime Nebraska
- Nebraska Census
- Nebraska Tombstone Transcription Project
- USGenWeb Nebraska Archives for Buffalo County
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet: Nebraska page
IN NEBRASKA and BEYOND