Caught by a Train

John Clark, a man probably forty or forty-five years of age, who lives at Odessa, was seriously injured this afternoon. He was working on the U.P. railroad with a section crew from Odessa near the woolen mills, when a train, which was backing, run against him and came nearly running over his body. He was laying on the side of the track in an unconscious condition when picked up, and was brought down to the depot. From there he was conveyed in a hack to Bragg's boarding house on East Twenty-second-st. and two or three doctors summoned. There is slight hope of his recovery.

The Daily Hub, Wednesday, 27 April 1892

Died From His Injuries
John Clark, the man who was injured yesterday afternoon near the woolen mills, as mentioned in the Hub last evening, died at 8:20 o'clock last night at the residence of his brother-in-law, E.N. Bragg, on east Twenty-second street. He was aged 45 years and 7 months. Mr. Clark leaves a wife and seven children, the oldest one being about twenty years of age. His funeral was held this afternoon at 3 o'clock in the First M.E. church.

The Daily Hub, Thursday, 28 April 1892
Submitted by Phyllis Cloyd



Daisy Alta, youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs Andrew Detamore, was born August 6 1897 in Amherst, Buffalo County, Nebraska and died in Mantiou, Colorado, February 19, 1916, aged eighteen years, six months and thirteen days.

In 1898 she, with her parents, moved to Hamilton County, were she has since made her home. About eighteen months ago she was obliged to discontinue school on account of her failing health, she being at that time a member of the junior class. She was also a member of the Campfire girls and will be greatly missed by that order.

Daisy was converted about nine years ago during the revival meeting at the M E church, later uniting with the Church of Christ at this place, and during these years she lived a faithful, consistent christian life. She was a member of the choir and also assistant organist. On December 18 1915, she with her father departed for Monrovia, Cal., with the hope of benefiting her health. Upon her arrival there she apparently begun to regain her strength and they had hopes of a complete recovery. It was at that time they were joined by her mother and brother, Johnny, and later by William Foreman her fiance. However, their hopes were not to be realized and she began to fail rapidly. Acting upon her physician's advice, the family immediately left for Manitou, Colo., in the hope that she might find some relief there, but regardless of all that loving hands could do, she passed into the great beyond, trusting her Saviour, and with the prayer on her lips, "Oh, God, give me rest."

Throughout all her suffering she was always patient and cheerful and had a smile and a kind word for all, and those who have known her longest and best are the ones who speak of her with highest praise. She was a faithful and loving daughter and sister, popular and a true friend to all. Two sisters and two little nephews have preceded her to yonder shore. She leaves to mourn her loss, father, mother, two brothers, Charles of Philips and Johnny, and one sister, Edna, now Mrs A A Linden of Giltner, besides many relatives and countless friends.

Funeral services were held at the Christian church, Elder Dobbs of Aurora in charge. It was one of the largest funerals ever held here.

"Gone, but not forgotten,
Laid beneath the sod.
Daisy will always be remembered.
But it is so hard, O God."

Paper and date unknown, from a collection of her grandmother's clippings
Submitted by Jackie Woodard,


Death of Mrs. Merryman
Mrs. Alcinda Merryman, wife of Freeman Merryman, who lives on Thirty-third St, and Avenue I, died at 10 o'clock Monday morning, May 16, from the effects of a cancer, with which she has suffered for about a year. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock at the family residence, conducted by Rev. Geo. W. Martin, D. D., of the Industrial school, assisted by Rev. E. J. Bosworth, of Baptist church. Deceased leaves a husband and four children, Mrs. Minnie E. Gamble, wife of Councilman W. R. Gamble, Arthur F., Ray, and Nellie Merryman to mourn her loss. Mrs. Merryman was born in Swedonia, N. Y., December 27, 1846, and was married to Freeman Merryman in 1866. They have lived in Kearney about ten years.

Kearney Hub 17 May 1892.
Submitted by Great-granddaughter Phyllis Cloyd



Was a Resident of This County For Forty Years
Mrs. Mary N. Merryman, aged 88, died at the W. C. T. U. hospital on Tuesday evening, after a lingering illness. She has been an inmate of the hospital for the past two years, ailing from minor complaints brought on by her advanced age. Recently she contracted a severe cold and pneumonia developed, this resulting in her death. The funeral, which is to be private, will be held on Thursday, the body being taken to Axtell for burial.

Mrs. Merryman was among the pioneer settlers in this part of the country, having resided in Buffalo county for more than 40 years. Locating south of this city, Mr. and Mrs. Merryman homesteaded a tract even before the advent of a railroad. Mr. Merryman passed away here about twenty-five years ago. Since that time the widow made her home with her son, Nels Merryman, until the last two years, since which time she has been confined at the hospital. She is survived by five children and three preceded her to the grave. Those surviving are: Nels Merryman, Mrs. Flora Volentine [sic], of Kearney; Mrs. Florence Cool of Paxton, Colo.; Perry A. Merryman, of Moline, Ill.; and Charles Merryman of Oklahoma. Freeman Merryman, living south-east of the city is a stepson.

Kearney Hub -- January 19, 1916
Submitted by Phyllis Cloyd



Mrs. Etta Stapleton Dies at Cheyenne, Wyoming
Body is Brought Here for Burial - Funeral Services Held Yesterday Afternoon at Two O'Clock

Telegrams were received here Sunday morning conveying the news of the death of Mrs. Etta Stapleton, a former well known Shelton woman, which occurred at the home of her son, O. B. Stapleton, in Cheyenne, Wyoming Saturday at 12:05 am (5 May 1923). Mrs. Stapleton had suffered with neuralgia at times for a number of years, but had always recovered from the attacks within a short time. Friday evening she was taken suddenly ill while at the supper table but a few hours later seemed to be much improved. Her son was in her room at midnight and she seemed to be resting easier and told him she was better. He went to his own room and was preparing to retire for the night when he heard a faint noise, and returning immediately to his mother's bedside, he found that she had suddenly passed away.

Mrs. Stapleton was born in New York state November 23, 1853, and was 69 years of age her last birthday. She was married in New York to Frank Stapleton and they came to Nebraska in 1873, locating in Shelton. Mr. and Mrs. Stapleton were the parents of ten children all of whom were born in this community. The father died here in 1899 and three of the children also preceded the mother in death. The surviving children are: Bay Stapleton of Butte, Montana; Roy and Jeff T., of Clifton, Colorado; O.B. of Cheyenne, Wyoming, who is city ticket agency for the Union Pacific in that city; Mrs. Nellie Awbrey of Pueblo, Colorado; and Claude of Hutchinson, Kansas. Mrs. Dan Huff of Ravenna is a sister. She also leaves two sisters living in Detroit, Michigan, and a brother in Oklahoma.

The Stapleton family lived in this community for more than thirty years. Following the death of the father Mrs. Stapleton continued to live here until twelve years ago and since that time has been making her home with her children in Colorado and Wyoming. She had been with her son in Cheyenne during the past winter. Mrs. Stapleton was one of the pioneer women of the community and was well known here during her many years residence in Shelton and vicinity.

The body arrived in Shelton Tuesday afternoon on Union Pacific Train No. 18, being accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. O. B. Stapleton of Cheyenne, Wyoming, and John I. (Bay) Stapleton of Butte, Montana. The body was taken to Bastian Bros. undertaking parlor where it was held pending funeral arrangements.

Services were held at the Presbyterian Church yesterday at 2 p.m. and were conducted by Rev. A. A. Wilson, after which interment was made in the Shelton cemetery.

Shelton Clipper, 10 May 1923.
Submitted by S. S. Levine


Death of F. H. Stapleton

Frank H. Stapleton died last Saturday morning (21 October 1899) at his home in Shelton after an illness of about a week. The funeral services were held at the family residence Monday morning, being conducted by Rev. Samuel Blair, and were largely attended by friends and neighbors of the family.

The deceased was born in Livingston county, New York, April 14, 1855, where he resided until 1872 when he removed to Iowa. He was married in that state in May 1873, to Miss Etta Buno, who survives him. They came to Nebraska the same year and located in Gardner township this county. Here they resided until 1897 when they removed to Shelton and have since made this their home. Ten children were born to them, seven of whom are still living. During his long residence in this county Mr. Stapleton acquired a large acquaintance and many friends who will deeply sympathize with his bereaved family in their affliction.

Shelton (NE) Clipper 27 Oct. 1899
Submitted by S. S. Levine



Died Oct. 12, 1916 Mrs. Celia Ann Talbott, an old resident of Kearney.

Mrs. Talbott has been in poor health since early last spring and later on May 16 she had a paralytic stroke from which she never fully recovered. Although she was up and around she was very feeble. On Oct. 4 she took seriously ill and continued getting worse until she passed away. She resided with her son, Girard, about six miles from Kearney during the last four months of her illness. She leaves two sons and on daughter to mourn the loss of a mother. George N. of North Platte and Gerard R. Talbott of Kearney and Mrs. E Hubartt of Bennett, Colorado, all who were present at her death. Celia Ann Ryan was born at Birmingham, Iowa, Oct. 11, 1843. She moved from there to Black Oak, Mahaska County, with her parents. She married Richard J. Talbott on February 19, 1865. Moved to Oregon in 1872. After residing there for two years they moved to Cass County, Nebraska, where they resided for two years. They then moved to Red Oak, Iowa and resided there for 89 years then moved back to Oskaloosa, Iowa, near their old home. In 1886 they moved to Whiting, Kansas, in 1888 they went to Alliance, Nebraska, and in the fall of 1889 moved to Kearney. In the fall of 1892 they moved to North Platte, in the fall of 1894 they came back to Kearney for one year when they went back to North Platte again in the the fall of 1895 were they resided until the fall of 1901 when they came back to Kearney. Mr. R.J. Talbott died Jan 1, 1912. Mrs. Talbott was alone until she became so ill her son took her to his home to care for her. There were seven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Talbott of whom four preceded them.

From the Kearney Daily Hub, Oct 16, 1916
Submitted by Thomas E Cady


Death comes to Lemuel and Edward K Talbott

Death twice invaded the home of R. J. Talbott at Seventeenth Street and Avenue E within a few hours calling to their final rest his father and his son. Lemuel Talbott died at half past seven o'clock Monday evening at the age of eighty-three of kidney trouble, and at two o'clock Tuesday morning occurred the demise of Edward K Talbott, the direct cause of death being stomach and liver trouble. Funeral services over the remains of both were held at the residence Tuesday afternoon.

From Kearney Daily Hub, May 24, 1904.
Submitted by Thomas E Cady



In charge of the Veterans of War of the Rebellion

At 2 p.m. occurred the funeral from the Christian Church of Richard J. Talbot. The obituary given follows:
Richard J. Talbot was born in Union County, Ohio, Nov. 23, 1845. He enlisted in the 33d Iowa Volunteers in 1862 and served in the army one year. On account of ill health he was discharged from the service. The disease contacted in the army never left him. He was married in Granville, Iowa, Feb. 19 1865 to Celia Ryan. Seven children blessed their home, three of whom preceded the father to the other side. Those living are Mrs. Ida Gustin of Axtell, Nebraska, Mrs. Iola Hubbart of Bennet, Colorado, George of North Platte, Nebraska, and Girard of Riverdale, Nebraska. Mrs. and Mrs. Talbott came to Nebraska in 1889 settling in Kearney. Later they lived in North Platte for a time but since returning to Kearney have made their home here for ten years. Mr. Talbott became a Christian at Red Oak, Iowa, in 1880 and was known for his faithfulness to his profession and the Christian church of which he was a member. He was a member of Smith Gavitt G. A. R. post at the time of his death, Jan 1, 1912. The funeral was in charge of the G A R comrades at the Christian Service January 4th with E. M. Johnson the pastor preaching the sermon. The remains were interred in the Kearney cemetery. Another of the defenders of our country in the time of her greatest trial has responded to the last roll call. His life of devotion to patriotism leaves the influence on all who knew him. The sympathy of his many friends and comrades goes to his bereaved wife and children.

From Kearney Daily Hub, Jan 9, 1912
Submitted by Thomas E Cady



George W. Graham was born September 18, 1831, near Crab Orchard, Lincoln County, Ky., and died at Kearney, Nebraska, May 26, 1919. His boyhood schooling was limited to a total of twenty-eight days, obtained at different intervals. On October 22, 1852, he was baptized by Rev. Richard Bolyer, and united with the Friendship Baptist church near Waynesburg, Ky.

Mr. Graham's early life was devoted to preaching and Christian work among his young associates, but meeting with little encouragement, he abandoned this work save that he became superintendent of the first Sunday School in Lincoln County, Ky.

On December 16, 1858, Mr. Graham was married to Mrs. Elizabeth J. Griffin, and to this union seven sons and four daughters were born. Five of the sons and three of the daughters, together with a stepson and two brothers, survive the deceased.

At the opening of the Civil War, Mr. Graham served Regt., Ky. Vol. Inf., and served that regiment until October, 1963, when he resigned his commission as a second lieutenant and returned home. He enrolled 47 men toward a new company and went to Lebanon, where the company was filled out to 96 men and assigned to the Sec. Bas. First Ky Cavalry, and he was promoted to first lieutenant. So close was the tie of friendship between the men and officers that when the war mustered out in October, 1865, they gave to Lieutenant Graham a cordial good cheer, three time three, and each extended his hand in a last farewell.

After the war closed Mr. Graham with his family moved to Warren County, Illinois and in 1869, again moved to Nemaha County, Nebraska, living here until 1871, at a place termed Plainfield, but later changed to Bradshaw.

In 1874 Mr. Graham again took up the work of the ministry. As a licensciate he went on horseback, from place to place, preaching and holding religious services in West Blue, York, and Lincoln Creek. Rev. Graham, D. T. Moore, L. D. Stitson, A. C. Montgomery, and Rev C. S. Harrison are familiar names in the early religious history of York County.

Mr. Graham was ordained to the gospel ministry on May 20, 1876, by a council convened at the Plainview Baptist Church, with Rev. Jacob Earnheart as the moderator, Deacon T. B. Peirson, clerk, and A. Z. T. Heath, organizing the following churches into the ordinary council: Mt. Zion, Aurora, Farmers Valley, York, Exeter and Plainfield. Not only was he the organizer, but also assisted in the establishing of nearly a score of Baptist churches in York County, Nebraska, and Graham County, Kansas. He was one of the faithful frontier missionaries and preachers and the record shows that his work was blessed by baptisms and additions without exception, every year of his ministry.

In 1888 Mr. Graham retired from the active work of the ministry and moved to a farm near Gibbon, and later came to Kearney.

Since the death of his wife, which occurred on January 26, 1912, he was made at home among his children, but practically his home has been with his daughter, Mrs. Julia A. Bird, on Central Avenue, where after a serious illness of some five weeks duration, on Monday morning he passed away.

Mr. Graham was a member of the First Baptist Church of this city, as well as of the G. A. R. Sedgwick Post No. 1 and also a lifelong member of the Masonic Lodge, his membership being in Granite Lodge, at Gibbon at the time of his death.

The funeral services were held this morning, May 28, at 10 o'clock from the residence of Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Bird on Central Avenue, conducted by Rev. Wm. E. Stilson of Broken Bow, the G. A. R. assisting, and interment made in the family lot in Riverside cemetery at Gibbon.

Kearney Daily Hub, May 28, 1919

Deep Patriotism Bred in His Struggle on Plains.

A soldier in the truest sense of the word was George W. Graham, Civil war veteran and pioneer preacher who died at his home here this week. After a lifetime spent in overcoming the obstacles temporal and spiritual which confronted the pioneer preacher at every step in his pathway, he could scarcely rest content to let the younger generation overcome the greatest foe to civilization, autocracy. And with the first strains of martial music, the old soldier responded to the call and volunteered as a fighter in the world war, though he had passed his eightieth milestone. In spirit, he could have conquered a hundred Huns, and naturally failed to realize that the thing was an impossibility.

But, although he was not allowed to be present on the battlefields of France, he participated in every battle, closely following its course in the daily newspapers. And who can say that his patriotic zeal was not a factor in the victory. It must have contributed something toward that essential yet intangible something called morale.

Mr. Graham served throughout the entire civil war, organizing his own company for the last year, attaining the rank of lieutenant. After its conclusion he felt the challenge of the West and responded to it. He had the distinction of being superintendent of the first Sunday school organized in Lincoln county. Realizing the tremendous need for religious work, the then entered the Baptist ministry becoming a "licensciate" or preacher operating under a license, since he had not received the usual special training for the work. In those early days of Nebraska he was a circuit rider and church organizer, and he assisted in the founding of scores of churches in Nebraska and Kansas.

He has finished the fight and well deserves the special tribute given him by his fellow members of Sedgwick Post No. 1 in the Memorial services yesterday."

THE DAILY HUB - Kearney, Nebraska, May 31, 1919


George W. Graham died Monday morning, May 26 at 2:45 at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Julia Bird, in Kearney. He was in his eighty-eighth year and had always enjoyed good health until a few months ago. For five weeks previous to his death he had been bedfast.

Rev. Graham had been a resident of Gibbon and vicinity for more than thirty one years continually, and previous to that time resided here for a time going back to his old home in Kansas for a while, before locating here permanently. He spent a lifetime in preaching the gospel, being a minister of the Baptist denomination. He also engaged in farming for many years. About twenty years ago he retired from the ministry on account of his advancing age.

Mrs. Graham died about seven years ago, and he is survived by eight children, three others having preceded their parents to the better land. Those living are as follows: Mrs. Margaret Morrison, Potter, Nebr; Marion J. Graham, Arnold, Nebr; W. F. Graham, Gibbon; G. R. Graham, Kimball; John Graham, Shelton; D. E. Graham, Denman, Mrs. Julia Bird, Kearney, and Mrs. Rachel Rayback, Elm Island.

The funeral was held yesterday at ten o'clock a.m. at the home of his daughter in Kearney and the remains were brought to Gibbon and laid beside his wife in Riverside Cemetery.

Gibbon, Buffalo County, Nebraska
Thursday May 29, 1919
Submitted by great-great-grand-daughter Kay Hoover



Marion Jefferson Graham, 81, died at his home April 29, 1943. The funeral was conducted by Rev. W. P. Watkins at the United Brethren church. Burial was in the Kearney cemetery.

Five grandsons, Douglas, Milbourne, Ralph, Wesley and E. J. Graham, Jr., and Marion Campbell, and Herman Peterson were pallbearers.

Surviving are his wife, three daughters and two sons, Marion Jennings, Graham of Scottsbluff, Hallie B. Campbell and B. F. Graham of Kearney, Mrs. Jack Cross of Denver, and Mrs. N. R. DeMott of Gering; 34 grandchildren and 21 great grandchildren.

Mr. Graham was born in Lincoln County, Kentucky December 21, 1861 to George W. and Elizabeth J Graham, who came to Nebraska about 1868 with their young family.

Mr. Graham was a retired farmer and real estate dealer.

Extracted and submitted by Kay Hoover.



E. J. Graham, well known Kearney auctioneer, died at his home, November 8, 1941 as a result of a heart ailment.

Mr. Graham was born at Gibbon to M. J. and Joanna (Hill) Graham March 19, 1891. He had been a Kearney resident for 38 years and had been an auctioneer for 30 years.

Surviving are his father Mr. Marion J. Graham, of Kearney; his wife, Leta; eight sons and daughters, Leta Olive Worley of Omaha, Eloise Anna Heath of Manhattan Beach, Calif., Theo Beryl Edwards of Omaha, Bernice M. Roe of Ogallala, Joanne, Wesley F., E. J., Jr., and Milbourne J. of Kearney.

Three sisters, Mrs. Grace Cross of Denver, Mrs. Eleanor DeMott of Gering, Mrs. Hallie B. Campbell of Kearney, and three brothers, D. Frank Graham of Kearney, A. D. of Salina, Kas, and Marion F. of Scottsbluff.

Funeral services were held at the United Brethren church, with the Rev. V. A. Clocksin and the Rev. W. P. Watkins officiating. Interment was in Kearney cemetery.

Extracted and submitted by Kay Hoover


Mrs. J.O. Buckingham Passes Away.

Flora Zell Cook, daughter of Nathan and Dorcas Cook, was born in Henry county, Iowa, April 24, 1862, departed this life July 2, 1923 at the age of 61 years, 2 months and 7 days. Her early life was spent in Iowa.

She was married to Jesse Oscar Buckingham at Wheeler's Grove, IA., February 16, 1879. To this union were born three children.

She united with the Christian church at an early age. The family moved to Nebraska in 1891. Here she placed her membership with the United Brethren Church, and was a faithful follower of the cross all her life. She was A constant sufferer the past year, being confined to her bed most of the time. Although she had a strong desire to get well if God welled, yet when it became evident to her that he willed it otherwise she meekly said "Amen" and quietly awaited the end. God answered he prayer that she might to in peace, and with a heaven-born smile on her face as she passed asay, all of the family being with her.

Funeral services were held at the U. B. Church in Amherst July 4 at two p.m. conducted by Rev. F W McKain, assisted by Rev C.C Harris. Singing was furnished by Rev. and Mrs. McKain. Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Froelich and Mrs. M. Hudson of Kearney, accompanied by Mrs. Froehlich and Evelyn McKain.

The church was a mass of beautiful flowers, tributes to her beautiful Christian life. Burial at Riverdale cemetery where Rebekah lodge of Kearney had charge of the services. She leaves to mourn her departure her husband, J.O. Buckingham, and three children, Mrs. G.W. Clark, of Bertrand, Neb.; Clarence Buckingham and Jessie O. Wakeman, of Amherst; six grandchildren, two sisters, Mrs. John Goehring, Carson, Iowa; and Mrs. W.M. Adams, Ainsworth, Neb.; three brothers, G.W. Cook, Bakersfield, Calif.; A.J. Cook, Sex Smith, Canada; and W.R. Cook, Central City, Neb; also many other relatives and friends.

Submitted by Bonnie Starman


Grandpa Hostetler Dead.

Grandpa Hostetler, who suffered, a partial stroke of paralysis of the left side on Friday evening, September 25, died at half past five on Friday morning, a week later. During the week there has been no noticeable change in his condition, and it was thought possible that he might partially recover but the change that betokened the end came without warning a few hours before his death. No definite announcement has been made regarding the funeral, but it will probably be on Sunday afternoon, with interment in the Kearney cemetery.

- E. O. Hostetler, of Ft. Collins, Colo. is in the city having been called here by the news of his father's death.

- The funeral of Grandpa Hostetler will take place Sunday afternoon at half past two o'clock from the residence of B. O. Hostetler.

Occurs Sunday From Home of His Son in This City

The funeral of David Hostetler occurred on Sunday afternoon, October 4, at 2:30 from the home, of his son, B. O. Hostetler of this city, the services being conducted by Rev. Jacob Flook of the Congregational church, with music by the Congregational choir. There was a large attendance showing the respect of the community for the deceased, and. the remains were laid to rest in the Kearney cemetery.

"Grandpa" Hostetler, as he was better known, lived to the ripe old age of four score and six years, he having reached his eighty-sixth birthday last February. He was a remarkably strong, hale, active man until the end of his life. His-motto was work, and through being constantly active he was strong both phsyically, and mentally. His life was a useful one, and its ending a peaceful consummation of his usefulness and activities. He will be held in kindly remembrance by all who knew him.

Mr. Hostetler was a native of Ohio and for many years a resident of Iowa where his sons grew to manhood and received their education. His wife is buried in that state, but it is the intention of the sons to place the remains beside those of their father in the Kearney cemetery. These sons are B. O. Hostetler of this city, Max Hostetler of Shelton, and E. O. Hostetler of Ft. Collins, Colo.

Kearney Daily Hub, October 5, 1903
Submitted by Kathy Maple great-great-granddaughter of Mr. Hostetler.


Rites Held for Mrs. Hauschild

Funeral services were held on Wednesday afternoon from the Love & Rohde Mortuary for one of Ravenna's oldest residents, Mrs. Marie Hauschild.

Marie Ahrens, daughter of Louis and Fredricka Ahrens, was born on August 6, 1892 in Saxony, Germany and came to the United States at the early age of 14. On December 25, 1909, she was united in marriage to Albert P. Hauschild. To this union six children were born: Mrs. Gertrude Chaney, Alliance, NE; Mrs Mabel VonKrosigh, Riverton, WY; Mrs. Daisy Bays of Adams, Wisc; Albert Jr., Ravenna, NE; Otto of Grand Island, NE and Louis of Ravenna, NE.

Since last fall, Mrs. Hauschild had been ailing and passed away in the Lutheran hospital in Grand Island, Sunday morning, Feb. 2nd, at the age of 71 years, 5 months and 26 days. She was a faithful and generous member of the Ravenna Methodist church and was seen regularly every Sunday until last fall.

She leaves to mourn her passing the six children, 16 grandchildren, 7 great-grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Emma Ahrens of Shelton, NE and Mrs Martha Hoffman of Edgar, NE; and also three brothers: Alfred Ahrens and Louis Ahrens of Ravenna, NE and William Ahrens of Kansas City, MO. Her husband and one sister preceded here in death, as well as three grandchildren.

Pall bears were Oliver Bernet, Gerald (Bud) Campbell, Everett Shrader, Walter Shultz, Luther Smith and Carl Unger. Rev. F. Jacobson officiated at the services, with Mrs. Doris Skochdopole and Mrs. Margaret Rohde as singers. Interment was in the Highland Park cemetery at Ravenna.

Ravenna News - 2/6/1964
Submitted by Julie Muller grand-daughter of Marie Hauschild



MRS. D.C. BOWEN, who came to Lucas County over half a century ago, died at the home of her son, H.L. BOWEN, in Lincoln Township on Friday, April 27, 1905, after an extended illness. Largely attended funeral services were held at the Christian Church in this city on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Ward, after which interment took place in the Chariton Cemetery.

DELILA CATHERINE NORRIS was born near Charlestown, Clark County, Indiana, on March 18, 1824. She was united in wedlock with J.N.B. BOWEN on December 5, 1844. Eleven children were born to them, five dying in infancy. Those living are GEO. F. of Spokane, Wash.; LOUISA J. ROBINSON of Dodge City, Kas.; LIZZIE B. FARMER of Hoxie, Kas.; and I.N. and H.L. of this place. One son, CHARLES P. died in 1874 leaving a daughter, MAGGIE BOWEN, of Hugo, Indian Territory. Deceased also leaves two brothers and one sister, GEO. E. NORRIS of Kearney, Neb.; I.E. NORRIS and MRS. S.M. JONES of this city.

MRS. BOWEN and family came to Lucas County, Iowa in 1853, when there were only two stores and a United States land office in Chariton. They located two miles north of here on what is now known as the Robt. Stanley farm. They moved to Lynn County, Mo., in the fall of 1862, but returned to Lucas County in the spring of 1875 and located south of Chariton. The husband died on January 23, 1892, and since that time MRS. BOWEN has made her home in Kansas and at this place.

About fifteen months ago, while visiting her daughter in Kansas she was taken ill and since that time has been a patient sufferer. At the age of sixteen years she united with the Christian Church and was baptized in the Ohio River near Charlestown, Ind. She has since been a devoted Christian. To her family she always gave an affectionate devotion and an unselfish and loyal service. She was always ready to assist others and many people can testify to her kindly deeds. She was one of those good and respected women who helped to reclaim the western wilderness and blazed a path for the civilization we now enjoy. Her death is sincerely mourned by a host of warm friends who will extend profound sympathy to the sorrowing children and brothers and sister.

The Chariton Leader, Chariton, Iowa,
Thursday, May 11, 1905
Copied by Nancee (McMurtrey) Seifert, August 21, 2004


Milton Collins, A Former Resident Of Chariton, Shot By Texan Herders -- The Murderers Arrested -- Full Particulars.
Lincoln, Neb., Sept. 20.

The people of Kearney are terribly excited over a cruel murder perpetrated there on Friday. A party of Texan herders had come to the place with a herd of ponies. Some of these ponies had got into the barn of MILTON E. COLLINS, aged 25, son of the REV. COLLINS, of Kearney, and formerly of Red Oak, Iowa. MR. COLLINS corralled the ponies, and a number of the herders swore they would "have the animals or blood." They went to COLLINS' house, where he was in company with his wife and infant child. MR. COLLINS talked gently with them, but they were mad with liquor, and one of the party, named J.H. SMITH, emptied his revolver into the breast of COLLINS, who died in a few minutes in the presence of his wife and child. The party vowed that they would "clean out the town," but they thought better of it and fled southwest.

The people organized, and pursuit commenced, one party being under the command of Deputy United States Marshal BALL and the other of Colonel RAE. There was a sharp pursuit and rifle shots were exchanged. The murderer SMITH and a man named YANK started from their fellows, and the rest being brought under the rifles of RAE's party, surrendered. Eight prisoners were taken -- JOHN D. COOPER, of Oxford, N.C.; BEN MATTHEWS (colored), Austin, Texas; B. ROACH, San Antonio, Texas; S. COPELAND, San Antonio, Texas; NELSON P. MARTIN, Leavenworth, Kansas; and JOSEPH WINDECK, Kearney County, Nebraska. Two of these men are of the party who took the ponies from COLLINS, and they have done some shooting. Sheriff ANDERSON and some twenty volunteers took up the pursuit of SMITH and YANK, and Sheriff JAMES, with a posse from Plum Creek, also engaged, but up to this evening, though inquiry has been made by telegraph, we have no further information at Lincoln.

Later. -- All the COLLINS murderers have been caught and are now having an examination.

Omaha, Neb., Sept. 20. -- Doc. SMITH, one of the Texan herders of the late Kearney Junction raid, was caught last night by the sheriff on an island in the Platte River, about three miles east of Plum Creek Station, Neb, and is now confined in jail at that place. He is said to be the man that killed MILTON COLLINS.

The Chariton Leader, Chariton, Iowa (Lucas County, Iowa)
Saturday, September 23, l875
Copied by Nancee (McMurtrey) Seifert


Death of Morris Alexander at Elm Creek, Nebraska, brother of W. A. Alexander.

Decatur County Journal (Decatur County, Iowa)
July 2, 1891
Copied by Nancee (McMurtrey) Seifert