Marvin L. Adams was born January 21, 1919 in Ravenna, Nebraska. He died in Sherman Oaks, California, August 17, 2000. His survivors include his wife Adele Salem Adams, daughter Elizabeth Agamalian, grandson John Agamalian, and three nieces, Gayhle Thompson, Janice Nassany and Kathy Delph. His funeral service was held August 24 at St. Michael Antiochician Orthodox Church, Van Nuys, and burial August 25th at Valhalla Cemetery, 10621 Victory Blvd., North Hollywood, CA.,

Extracted from Los Angeles Times page B12, Thurs 24 Aug 2000
Submitted by Carole Miller



The funeral of Grandfather Barney will take place from the First ME Church tomorrow afternoon at 1:30. The remains arrived via the B & M from Minden this forenoon.

(Grandfather Barney was Hiram Abiel Barney, son of Hiram Barney and Azuba Tarbell. He was born in Chester, Windsor Co, VT and married Clarissa Marshall 31 Dec 1832 in Chester, VT. Hiram and Clarissa are buried in Kearney City Cemetery. Hiram's grave stone reads:

Hiram Barney, Born Mar 10, 1809, Died Feb. 7, 1902.

He lived in Kearney until Clarissa died and sometime after that he went to live in Minden with his daughter and son-in-law, Malissa Leona and Lewis A. Kent.)

KEARNEY HUB (Newspaper), 'City & County Brevities', 7 Feb 1902
Submitted by Grace Adkinson
Schererville, IN 46375



George Bischel Meets Accidental Death

Last Friday evening about eight o'clock while driving from Miller to Sumner in his Ford coupe. George Bischel met probably instant death when the car failed to negotiate the turn in the road a mile west of Miller and went into the ditch, throwing him from the machine and evidently crushing his head as the car turned over. Mr. Bischel had been to Miller on Grange business, or which organization he was then state president, and was billed to make an address at Sumner that evening. Another autoist passing by a little after the accident occurred saw the upturned car with lights burning and the engine still running, and thought he saw a man in the car and so reported upon his arrival in Miller, where a party was soon formed and went out and found Mr. Bischel dead laying some little distance from his car. The body was conveyed to Kearney to his home on Thirtieth street and Fourth avenue, and his relatives immediately notified of the sad accident.

Mr. Bischel had been a resident for many years, having farmed in the county before removing to Kearney some fifteen years ago. He was prominent in the early telephone work, having practically organized the Farmers Union Telephone Co. in this county and of which he was manager for many years. He was always prominent in Grange work and stood high in that organization. He was also a fine stockman and it was he who first went with shipments of hogs to the Pacific coast when the shipping business first started.

The deceased was 63 years and three months of age at the time of the fatal accident. He leaves surviving beside his widow, two sons, Leonard of Rapid City, S.D., Albert of Chicago, two daughters, Mrs. Edith Palmerton of California, Mrs. Johanna Orcutt of Hastings, a sister, Mrs. Herman Otto of Amherst, and his brother August of Exter (sic), all of whom were present at the funeral.

Services were held on Tuesday afternoon from the Presbyterian church in this city of which the deceased was a member, and were largely attended by many friends of the family, the edifice being crowded to overflowing. The Odd Fellows of which Mr. Bischel was a long time member attended in a body. Many officials and members of the State Grange were in attendance, the executive committee of that organization all being here. Internment was in the Kearney (sic) Cemetery. [Ed. Note: Mr. Bischel was buried in the Prairie Center Cemetery in Thornton Township.]

George Bischel was born at Monee, Illinois on June 21, 1860, and met with accidental death September 21, 1928, at the age of 68 years and three months.

In 1881 he came to Thornton township ten miles northeast of Kearney and settle there as one of the earlier farmers of this section of the country. On August 4, 1892, he was married to Bessie Brown, from which union six children were born, two of whom died in early childhood, Thomas Edward at the age of three on August 18, 1907, and Florence Elizabeth on September 9, 1911. Four children survive, Albert Clair of Chicago, Leonard F. of Rapid City, South Dakota, Mrs. Joanna Orcutt of Hastings, Nebraska, and Mrs. Edith Palmerton of Loyalton, California. Mr. Bischel leaves also two brothers, August C. of Exeter, Nebraska, and Edward C. of Oakland, California; and two sisters, Miss Louise of Monee, Illinois, and Mrs. Minnie Otto of Amherst, Nebraska. Mrs. Bessie Brown Bischel preceded her husband in death October 14, 1922.

August 28, 1925, Mr. Bischel was married to Mrs. Laura Brown, who survives her husband.

Mr. Bischel has been particulatly active in many phases of farm problems and was instrumental in bringing about many improvements ministering to the comforts and joys of farm life. At the time of his death he was Master of the Nebraska State Grange, in which capacity he had served with great efficiency, it was in the faithful discharge of his duties in this organization that me met his sudden death. Since coming to Kearney in 1912 Mr. Bischel has been one of the most faithful and consistent of the members of the First Presbyterian church, taking a deep interest in every phase of its life and work.

The city of Kearney, the surrounding communities, and large sections of the state of Nebraska will feel a distinct loss in the passing away of Mr. George Bischel, who endeared himself to all who know him through his friendly interest and sympathetic attitudes manifested in genuine Christian service.

Card of Thanks.
We wish to express our sincere thanks to our neighbors and friends for their many acts and expressions of sympathy following the death of husband and father. Signed: Mrs. Laura U. Bischel and the children.

Newspaper and Date Not known
Submitted by Dwight Bischel


State Master Bischel Killed in Auto Accident on Way to the Grange

Sad indeed is the news that comes from Nebraska, telling of the death of State Master George Bischel, who was the victim of an automobile accident on September 21st. He was on his way to attend a Grange meeting in the near vicinity of his home at Kearney and was planning to organize a Juvenile Grange the same evening. The news of his death was received with great sorrow by Patrons in all parts of the state and will prove startling to Mr. Bischel's associates in the National Grange.

Few Patrons had the interest of the Order more sincerely at heart than Mr. Bischel, who had served at two different times as head of the organization in Nebraska, returning to the chair nearly two years ago and representing the state at the Cleveland session last year. Under his leadership great progress has been made in Nebraska, many new Granges organized and the present year was proving one of the most fruitful in Grange accomplishments that Nebraska had known in more than a quarter century. Prospects were very bright for continued growth and State Master Bischel was greatly anticipating the coming National Grange session at Washington and the cheering report from his state which he would be privileged to make.

Mr. Bischel was twice married and his wife survives him. His sudden death brings to the chair in Nebraska former State Master J. D. Ream, who was overseer, and upon him will fall the task of conducting the annual State Grange session, scheduled for October 9th and 10th.

National Grange Monthly, October 1928
Submitted by Dwight Bischel



Mrs. Ray Cool

Fern Lutica Tatum, daughter of William and Winnie Tatum, was born near Elsie, Nebraska, April 5, 1892; and departed from this life on April 1st, 1930, at her home near Miller, Nebraska, at the age of 37 years 11 months and 26 days.

She was united in marriage to Ray Cool of Miller, Nebraska July 4th, 1910. To this union four children were born.

She was a kind devoted wife, an affectionate mother and a loving friend. She leaves to mourn their loss a husband, one daughter, Mrs. Charlie Bauer of Litchfield, Nebraska, three sons, Merle, Kenneth and Elda who are at home, two grandchildren, eleven brothers and seven sisters, besides other relatives and a host of friends and neighbors. All the brothers and sisters were present but one brother that was unable to come.

Letter of Thanks

We wish to thank the neighbors, friends, and relatives for the many beautiful flowers, kind deeds, and sympathy shown us during the illness and death of our loved one.
   Ray Cool and Sons
   Mrs. Charlie Bauer and Family

The singers were: Mrs. Jesse Baker, Mrs. Max Brandt, Mr. Chas. Sea, and Mr. Carl Sea.

Obituary - Miller Newspaper Thursday, April 10, 1930
Provided by Joy Tatum Winters, submitted by Randy Tatum



Old Resident Dies

Mrs. Anna Friede, 81, resident of Kearney for fifty years, having come from Germany, died yesterday afternoon at her home, 1706 Avenue B, where she lived with her daughter, Mrs. Anna Corrigan. She lived at that home for the past forty-five years. Two other daughters, Mrs. Charles Cannon, of San Pedro, Calif, and Mrs. Harold Holton of San Francisco, Calif. survive her and funeral arrangements await word from them.

Kearney newspaper, 1931
Submitted by Charmaine Schwieso-Becker



E.W. Gillham Dies.

1933, 5 June, Monday...Kearney, (NE) Newspaper.
."E. W. Gillham, former proprietor of the Saratoga Billiard Parlor here, and a well known resident of the city, died at six-thirty this morning. No funeral arrangements had been completed today, but will be announced later. Surviving him are the widow, Mrs. Bertha Gillham, and four children: Mrs. George Wickstrom, of Grand Island: Mrs. Will Husemoller, Miss Mabel Gillham, and Harold Gillham, all of Kearney."

Gillham Funeral Today.

1933, 8 June, Thursday...Kearney, (NE) Newspaper.
"Funeral services for E.W. Gillham were held from the Anderson Funeral Home at nine o'clock this morning, with the Rev. Paul M. Hillman in charge. Pallbearers were Guy Pierce, Raymond Schreiner, Don Frank, Raymond Collins, James Van Deusen and Ernest Rothert. The body was taken to David City, where the services at three o'clock this afternoon were to precede interment in the David City cemetery. Mrs. Gillham and four children survive."

1933, 11 June, Sunday...Wanatah (IN) Mirror.
"When Ezekiel William Gillham of Kearney, Nebraska, who had been reared in the Robert Gillham home southeast of Wanatah, passed away June 5."


Thursday, 15 June 1933, David City, NE Newspaper
E. W. Gillham was born at Canton, Ohio, September 2, 1869, and passed away at his home in Kearney, Nebraska, June 5, 1933 at 6:30 o'clock in the morning at the age of 63 years, 9 months, and 2 days.

His death came after a lingering illness of eleven months, which followed a severe heart attack. Mr. Gillham came to David City, Nebraska, at the age of 19 years and was married to Bertha Louise Bahr of David City, September 13, 1896. He resided here for 24 years, moving to Kearney in 1919, where he resided until his death.

The deceased leaves besides his widow, one son and three daughters, Harold Gillham, Mrs. Rena Husemoller, Miss Mabel Gillham of Kearney and Mrs. Irma Wickstrom of Grand Island. One brother, Thomas R. Gillham and one grandson, Dale Husemoller of Kearney, also survive.

A short funeral service was held at 9 o'clock Thursday morning in Kearney from the Anderson Funeral Home with Rev. Paul Hillman in charge. The body was taken to David City where services were held from St. Luke's Methodist Church at 3 o'clock.

Burial was in the David City Cemetery. Two numbers were sung by a quartette consisting of W.S. Rosenstock, Rev. R. Richmond, Mrs. Sellhorn, and Mrs. Penrod, with Mrs. Ruth Maule, accompanist.

Pallbearers at David City were John Schweser, Frank Osier, John Eberly, Oscar Talbot, Wm. Buchta, and William Ball. Mr. Gillham was a man of pleasing personality. He had many friends who with his family mourn his death. His smiling face and good natured disposition will be missed by all who knew him.

We wish to thank our friends for their kindnesses during our recent sorrow, the senders of the beautiful floral offerings, Rev. Hillman For His Many Comforting Words. We Wish Especially To Thank The Singers And Mrs. Maule.

Submitted by Jeffrey C. Holtz or



Final Rites Held for Fannie Lavington

Fannie Oliver Lavington was born to James and Ellen Oliver on September 3, 1867 on a homestead west of Shelton, Nebraska. She passed away in Kearney, Nebraska at 7 p.m. on June 19, 1954, after an illness of eleven weeks following a stroke. She thus reached the age of 86 years, 9 months and 14 days.

Mrs. Lavington spent the early days of her life on a homestead with her pioneering parents.

She was married to Henry Lincoln Lavington on February 28, 1893. Three children came to bless the home. Laura, one of the daughters passed away on Sept. 2, 1951. Her husband also preceded her in death on May 30, 1948.

Most of her life was spent on a farm. Thirty-fours years ago the family moved from a farm north of Shelton to Shelton, where she continued to live until a few months prior to her death, when she was taken to Kearney for better care.

Mrs. Lavington was very devoted to her family and home. No task was too difficult for her if it brought happiness and the comforts of life to her family.

She is survived by her daughter, Lotta of Shelton and her son, William Lavington of Gibbon: one grandson, Howard Lavington, and three great grandsons: and one brother, James Oliver of Gibbon.

June 1954
Submitted by Brenda Lavington



H. L. Lavington, 87, Resident here for 66 Years, Dies Sunday - May 30, 1948

H. L. (Link) Lavington, 87, a resident of the community for 66 years, and a well known and highly respected citizen, died at his home in Shelton at 2 o'clock Sunday morning following a lingering illness.

Born in Liverpool, N.Y., Jan 8, 1861, Mr. Lavington had reached the age of 87 years. He was a son of Charles and Elizabeth Lavington and came from a family of six children.

At the age of 21 years he came to Nebraska with a brother and located in this community. He was engaged in farming for many years a few miles northwest of Shelton, after which he retired and purchased a home in town where the family has since lived. On Feb. 23, 1893, he was united in marriage to Miss Fannie Oliver and to this union three children were born. Survivors are his wife, two daughter, Misses Laura and Lotta Lavington, at home, and a son, William, who lives on a farm north of Gibbon, and a grandson, Howard. He also leaves a sister, Mrs. Fannie Hayes, Hollywood, Calif., a brother, Charles H. Lavington, St. Petersburg, Fla., and several nieces and nephews. Two sisters and a brother preceded him in death.

"Link" as he was familiarly known in this community where he spent more that 66 years of his life, was a highly respected citizen and a man who was well liked by everyone who knew him.

Funeral services in charge of Rev. Vincent Beebe, pastor of the Methodist church, were held at the church Tuesday at 2:30. Rev. Beebe was assisted by Rev. E.C. Staley, a former pastor of the church, who now lives at Morrill, Nebr.

For a half hour preceding the services. Mrs. Fred Schroeder, pianist, played old sacred songs and the variations. During the services Rev. Staley sang two hymns, "in the Sweet By and By" and "Jesus, Lover of My Soul," with his daughter, Mrs. R.E. Trump, of Bayard, as accompanist.

Interment was made in the Shelton Cemetery. Casketbearers were Harry Oliver, Alf Rowe, L.J. Hallas, Howard Widdowson, Leland Cook and Ralph Vohland.

May 1948
Submitted by Brenda Lavington



Laura Lavington, Former Teacher, Dies in California - 22 Sept. 1951

SHELTON -- A former Sheltonite and long-time school teacher in Kearney, Miss Laura Lavington, died in Los Angeles, Calif., Saturday, according to word received there.

Miss Lavington, who was 57 years of age, taught at the Kenwood school in Kearney for 29 years, until 1945. In 1950 she went to Long Beach, Calif., and has been there and at Oakland, Calif., with friends and relatives.

Her father, H.L. Lavington, farmed near Shelton for many years, and then moved to town where his death occurred several years ago. A sister, Miss Lottie Lavington, who also taught at the Kenwood school, still is teaching in Kearney at the Whittier school.

Besides her sister, her mother of Shelton and a brother, William of Gibbon, also survive.

Funeral services will be held here Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The Rev. George Schwabauer will officiate, with burial in the Shelton cemetery.

September 1951
Submitted by Brenda Lavington



Unknown Woman Thought to Have Committed Suicide in Kansas City Identified as Miss Merryman -- No Reason Ascribed -- Burial There

Miss Frances A. Merryman, 43 years of age May 2, last, is the identity of the unknown woman registered at the Kupper hotel in Kansas City Saturday night who was found dead Sunday afternoon indications pointing to suicide, the identity having been established at 10 a. m. Thursday by Clint Ross and his business partner, Carson Ross, stockman of that city who formerly resided in Kearney.

Suspicions first centered on the deceased as possibly being the unknown one who had so carefully concealed all possible traces of identity before going to the hotel when a telegram ____________ ____________ of the whereabouts of Miss Sylvia D. McKinney the woman who was at first suspicioned as being the unknown.
The message was undelivered and a subsequent message to Mrs. Perry Merryman stated that she had not yet arrived in Moline, although on her way having left Kearney Sept. 11, _____________ the Ray E. Turner shoe store it was learned that Miss Merryman had also purchased a pair of the particular shoes that held the ___________ clue to the identify.

When Last Seen

After having spent the summer in Moline with her sister-in-law, Miss Merryman returned to Kearney about two weeks ago ostensibly to visit her aged mother. She visited in the city a week and left for Moline on the date mentioned, purchasing a ticket only to Omaha from Kearney. On the morning of September 12, N. P. McDonald saw her in the dining room of _______ Paddock hotel, and after breakfast met her again at the Union station depot, she was waiting for a Missouri Pacific train at the time he boarded his train for Kearney.

Details of the finding were those recited in the Hub Wednesday evening with the added information secured Thursday .

The Kansas City papers give the following story:
The suit case found in her room contained a card case given as an advertisement by Glenn & ______ of Lincoln, Neb., also a mirror advertising ___ paper printed in Lincoln. Also among the effects found in the room was a traveler's accident insurance policy, No. 756,612, for $2,500, bearing _____ date and issued by the North American Insurance company. There were also found a handkerchief, bearing the initial "M' embroidered in one corner, a hypodermic syringe, two thermometers such as nurses and physicians use to take temperatures by inserting ________________, and a manicure set bearing the initials ______________

night train to the scene of the tragedy. According to his plans burial will take place in Kansas City in accord with an expressed wish that she be buried when death overtook her in some distant and unknown locality.

Born in Illinois

Miss Frances A. Merryman was born on a farm near Swedona, Ill., the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. David A. [sic] Merryman. Her mother, Mrs. Mary Mitchell Merryman, nearly 85 years of age, is in the city at the home of Mrs. F. A. Cool; the only sister of the deceased. Two brothers living are Nelson Merryman, Axtel, Perry Merryman, Moline, Ill., now in Russia, George Merryman, whose residence is unknown, and Charles Merryman of Oklahoma City. Mrs. Flora Valentine, of Kearney, is a half sister being a daughter of Mrs. Merryman by her first marriage while Freeman Merryman, now in California is a half brother, being the only son of her father by his first marriage.

Was Highly Respected

Having remained at home where she cared for her mother Miss Merryman was highly respected, usually cheerful, sympathetic and kind always, she had practiced nursing more or less the last twelve years although she had never completed her training.

She was prominent in Eastern Star and Masonic circles in which she took much interest having been worthy matron two terms.

Hosts of friends mourn her loss many of whom refuse to believe that suicide was intended but that death resulted from an overdose of an opiate taken to relieve some temporary illness.

Newspaper clipping, about 1913 (unknown date and paper)
Submitted by Phyllis Cloyd



Mrs. E.J. Morrison - died April 15, 1926

Mrs. E.J. Morrison, age about 49 years, died at her home in Shelton this morning at 4:30 o'clock. Tuesday afternoon she suffered a stroke which was brought on by high blood pressure, and a few hours afterward became unconscious, remaining in that condition until death. About a year ago Mrs. Morrison had a slight stroke but seemed to recover and had been up and around as usual since that time.

Alma E. Schulz was born several miles south of Shelton near Elm Island, being a daughter of William and Christina Schulz. She was reared in this community and attended the public schools. About thirty-one years ago she was united in marriage to Joseph Smith and to this union two children were born. They are Mrs. Sadie Lavington of Gibbon and Henry Smith of Wichita, Kansas.

Following the death of Mr. Smith, his wife and two children went to California where they spent seven years. In 1908 she was married a second time, being united with E.J. Morrison. For several years Mr. and Mrs. Morrison lived in this community on a farm. They then removed to Monida, Montana, where Mrs. Morrison spent the summers with her husband, but owing to poor health and the climatic conditions there not agreeing with her in cold weather, she spent the winters in Shelton. Mrs. Morrison was making plans to leave soon for Montana.

Mrs. Morrison was reared in the Lutheran faith. She was a woman who had a large circle of friends and her death was a shock to many of them.

The date and hour of the funeral has not been set and complete, arrangements will not be made until the arrival of Mr. Morrison who is expected here Saturday. Otto Schulz a brother of Sheridan, Montana, and Henry Smith, the son, will also be here for the funeral.

April 15, 1926
Submitted by Brenda Lavington



F.W. Muhlbach Died at His home North of Shelton, Thursday

F. William Muhlbach, a very prominent and successful farmer living twelve miles north of Shelton, died at his home last Thursday evening [March 4, 1915] about seven o'clock. Mr. Muhlbach suffered a stroke of apoplexy more than two weeks ago, and his condition was considered serious from that time on. Owing to the deep snow in the roads it was impossible for Undertaker J. B. Hodge to make the trip the latter part of last week and the body was kept at the home until Monday when several men opened the roads with teams and wagons. The remains were brought to Shelton Monday afternoon and prepared for burial.

Frederick William Muhlbach was born in Saxony, Germany, April 7, 1857, and came to America in the year 1879. He located on a homestead north of Shelton and engaged in farming and has resided in the same vicinity for the past thirty-five years. He was married to Miss Emma Rohrbach of Shelton. Mr. Muhlbach was the father of nine children, four of whom preceded him to the grave. The deceased children are: Arnold, Ida, Martha and Elizabeth. Those besides the mother who survive are: Mrs. August Eickhoff, Henry, Frederick, Minnie and Richard.

Five brothers and two sisters are also left to mourn his death as follows: Carl, Moritz, Robert, August, Herman, Ida and Mrs. David Otto. Mr. Muhlbach was a member of the Lutheran church. He was an industrious farmer and at the time of his death owned considerable land and personal property which he accumulated by years of hard and earnest work. He was a man well thought of in the community in which he lived and will be greatly missed by his relatives, neighbors and friends.

The funeral services will be held from the Methodist church in Shelton this (Thursday) afternoon at 1:30 and will be conducted by Rev. J. Herm. Schaefer, pastor of the German Lutheran church north of town. The remains will be interred in the Shelton cemetery alongside the children who have gone before.

The bereaved family has the deepest sympathy of all in their sad affliction.

Card of Thanks

To the friends and neighbors who so willingly assisted us during the sickness and after the death of our husband and father, we wish to extend our heartfelt thanks. Especially do we wish to thank the neighbors who did all that they could to lighten the burden and help us in this hour of grief and sorrow. We assure that the many kindnesses shown will long be remembered.
Mrs. F.W. Muhlbach and family

(From the Shelton Clipper Vol. XXV Number 290, March, 1915
Submitted by Roma Black



Funeral to Be Held Saturday Afternoon --Burial in Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery.

Death came to the oldest person in Shelton shortly after 7 o'clock Wednesday evening (Jan 12, 1938) when Mrs. Sophia Rohrback, 95, passed peacefully (a)way at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Emma Muhlbach.

Mrs. Rohrback suffered a stroke while in the kitchen at their home last Wednesday, and since had been in an unconscious condition. Previous to her last illness she had been failing in health, but was unusually active for one of her age, being up and around every day.

Sophia Pingel, a daughter of John Karl Pingel and his wife, was born in Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany, on March 24, 1842, and in the year of 1857 she came with her father and step-mother to America in a sail ship. It required seven weeks on the water to make the trip to New York.

After living in New York City for about three years they moved to Buffalo, N.Y. and from there went to Appleton, Wis., where she met and married Fritz Rohrback, the ceremony being performed Nov. 25, 1865. They lived at Appleton thirteen years and in 1878 came to Nebraska, taking up a homestead in Gardner township, Buffalo county, north of Shelton. In 1903 Mr. and Mrs. Rohrback moved to town and the former's death occurring here on Dec. 17, 1916. Since that time Mrs. Rohrback has continued to make her home here.

She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Emma Muhlbach, five grandchildren, fourteen great-grandchildren and one great-great grandchild.

Mrs. Rohrback was a real pioneer and belonged to that sturdy class of early settlers who "blazed the trail" into a new country to seek their fortune at a time when much of the land in this part of Nebraska was unbroken prairie. They suffered many of the hardships and privations known only to those early settlers, and the first year after they came Mr. Rohrback farmed with a yoke of oxen.

She was not only well known but held in the highest esteem by everyone with whom she became acquainted, and was a woman who had many friends. She had been a member of the Zion Lutheran church ever since the church north of Shelton was built and she lived a christian life.

A short funeral service will be held at the family home in Shelton at one o'clock Saturday afternoon, and services will be held at the Zion Lutheran church at two o'clock. Rev. E.W. Beckler, the Lutheran pastor, will be in charge of the services.

Interment will be made in the Lutheran church cemetery where Mr. Rohrback is buried. Those who have been asked to serve as pallberarers are: Geo. W. Smith, Herman Wright, Herman Spahr, John Ohlmann, C.L.Wilks and Henry Ostermeyer, jr.

Submitted by Roma Muhlbach Black



Death of George Smith - January 29, 1895

George Smith, one of the oldest and best known residents of Buffalo county, died at his home in Shelton Tuesday afternoon, his death being caused by Bright's disease, from which he had been a sufferer for several years. The funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church yesterday afternoon, being conducted by Rev. C.F. Graves, and in spite of the severe storm which was raging the church was crowded, so highly esteemed was the deceased among his neighbors.

The deceased was sixty-one years of age having been born in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, April 24, 1833. He lived with his parents until the California gold excitement in 1849, when like many other young men he emigrated to the new eldorado and engaged in mining for three or four years, returning to Pennsylvania and remaining there until the fall of 1871 when he came to Nebraska and located on a farm northwest of Shelton, where he resided until about three years ago when he discontinued active farming and moved to Shelton. He was married first in 1859, and to his second wife, who survives him, in 1872. He had five children, all by his first wife, and all of whom are living-- William J. of the place, Andrew E. of Lamar, Colorado, Joseph of this place, Mrs. George Barrett of this place, and Mrs. Chris Anderson of the place. He was a brother of J.P. and Philip Smith, who also live here.

Mr. Smith was a member of the Baptist church, was in every way a most exemplary citizen, a loving husband and a kind father and being of a very retiring disposition he had no enemies and host of friends. By his indomitable energy he acquired quite a large amount of property, and at the time of his death he was a stockholder and one of the directors in the First National Bank of the place. He had been in poor health for several years past, but was able to be about until a few weeks ago, when he became worse and died as above stated. The bereaved relatives have the sympathy of a large circle of friends in their sad affliction.

January 1895
Submitted by Brenda Lavington



Funeral of J.S. Smith - August 2, 1903

The funeral of J. S. Smith was held in the Evangelical church Monday morning at eleven o'clock, the services being conducted by Rev. C.F. Beller. There was a large attendance, so large in fact that many were unable to gain admittance to the church, while the procession of friends and neighbors who followed the remains to their last resting place was one of the longest ever seen here, showing the high estimation in which the deceased was held. Joseph S. Smith was born in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, April 16, 1865, and came to Nebraska with his parents in 1872, and has resided here ever since. He was married March 12, 1895, to Miss Alma Shultz who with two bright children survives him. After the death of his father several years ago he came into possession of the old homestead northwest of town, purchasing the interest of the other heirs. This is one of the best farms in the county and the deceased by frugality, enterprise and good management had become one of the best fixed young farmers in this part of the state, and his untimely death is regretted by all. He was of a pleasing disposition and made friends of everybody with whom he become acquainted, and his warmest friends were those who knew him best. He will be missed by a large circle of friends whose deepest sympathy will go out to the afflicted wife and children in their bereavement.

August 1903
Submitted by Brenda Lavington



Mrs. Lizzie Thiede Dies May 10, 1931

Mrs. Lizzie Thiede, 73, died Sunday night at Grand Island and the body was brought here by Ira Anderson. Funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at two o'clock at the Emmanuel church, near her home in northwest of Amhearst with Rev. H. Inselman officiating. She is survived by five children, Elsie, Walter, Luena Buehler and Ruby. The burial at Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery beside her husband, Johann Thiede.

Kearney paper, May 1931
Submitted by Charmaine Becker



On Sunday last Dr. M.D. Thurston and wife and sister-in-law left the city for Kearney to attend the funeral of Miss Cordelia Waite, daughter of J.B. Waite of that city, and a sister of Mrs. Thurston.    The deceased was a young lady 22 years of age, and came to her death on Friday last in a manner particularly sad, which will make her loss all the more distressing to her relatives and friends. It appears that she was engaged in teaching school about 14 miles from Elm Creek, and that her sleeping apartment at her boarding place was a sod addition to a frame building, the roof of which gave way some time during the night after she had retired to bed, crushing her to death. The accident was not discovered until the next morning, when the corpse of the poor girl was found among the debris with one of the heavy timbers of the roof lying across her chest.

Columbus Journal, March 16, 1881
Taken from the Platte County NEGenWeb Project pages copyright by Sherri L. Brakenhoff, with her permission.



Death of Mrs. Geo. Widdowson - May 10, 1903

Mrs. Eliza Widdowson, wife of George Widdowson, died at her home, three miles northwest of Shelton, Sunday morning after a lingering illness. The funeral services were held in the M.E. church Tuesday, being conducted by Rev. A.T. Norweed, pastor of the Gibbon Baptist church. The services were largely attended, notwithstanding that the weather was inclement.

Eliza Walter was born November 18, 1857, at Carrollton, Illinois, where she resided until grown to womanhood. She was united in marriage to George Widdowson February 1, 1887, and they came direct to Nebraska, locating near Shelton and residing here ever since. Three children, two daughters and one son, were born to them, all of whom survive their mother. Besides husband and children she leaves six sisters and two brothers to mourn her death. Four of her sisters were present at the time of her death, viz., Mrs. Samuel Creed, and Mrs. Mary Berlin of Carrollton, Illinois, and Mrs. B. Wiest and Mrs. Henry Webbin, who reside here. Mrs. Widdowson was taken ill last December, and though all that could be was done for her, every effort was without avail. She was a woman loved and respected by all who knew her and she will be greatly missed by the people of the neighborhood, and all will deeply sympathize with the bereaved husband, children and other relatives in the affliction.

May 1903
Submitted by Brenda Lavington


Last updated -- Friday, 07-Sep-2007 10:04:47 MDT