His Wife Had Passed Away Only Five Days Ago.

Adam Altmaier, 80, died Thursday morning, and funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at St. Mary's church, with interment in the Prairie Center cemetery. Father Moser will officiate.

Mr. Altmaier was preceded in death by his wife, Mrs. Mary Altmaier, who passed away Sunday morning, August 9. Mr. and Mrs. Altmaier had been residents of Buffalo county for fifty-two years. Ten children survive them: Mrs. Maggie Burton, Mrs. Mary Stengel, Adam, Jr., Andrew, Fred, Mrs. Eva Schroder and Mrs. Lizzie Vandenberg, of Kearney; Joseph, of Sutherland; and Mrs. Katherine Smith and Mrs. Emma Luce, of Poole.

--Source, Kearney Daily Hub newspaper; Kearney, Buffalo County, Nebraska; August 14, 1931
Submitted by James Hutchinson



Mary Ruppenkamp was born in Iowa City, Iowa, April 13, 1858 and died at her home at Kearney, Nebraska on August 9, 1931 at the age of 73 years, 3 months, 26 days.

On May 30, 1876, she was united in marriage to Adam Altmaier. To this union was born thirteen children, three of whom preceded her in death: one daughter and two sons.

Mrs. Altmaier has lived in Buffalo county fifty-two years. She leaves to mourn her death her husband, four sons: Andrew, Adam and Fred Altmaier of Kearney and Joe Altmaier of Sutherland; six daughters: Mrs. Herman Schmitz, Mrs. Homer Burton, Mrs. John Stengle, Mrs. Jay Luce, Mrs. Alfred Schroeder and Mrs. John Vandenberg, of Kearney; thirty grandchildren and ten great grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. M. Baer of Kearney; half-brother and half-sister living in California and two half-brothers and two half-sisters living in Iowa. Also a host of other relatives and friends.

In infancy she was baptized in the Catholic faith to which she was a constant and faithful member up to the time of her death.

Words cannot express the sorrow this untimely death has caused in the home and community as none was ever held in higher esteem than Mrs. Altmaier, by those who knew her.

"Card of Thanks"

We wish to express our appreciation and thanks to those who mourned with us in our loss, as well as those who assisted in making our burden easier to bear.
Signed: Adam Almaier and Family.

--Source, Kearney Daily Hub newspaper; Kearney, Buffalo County, Nebraska; August 13, 1931
Submitted by James Hutchinson



Alta Robison was born in Kansas March 12, 1886 and passed away March 27th, 1919 of pneumonia following influenza. At the age of 17 she came to Gibbon and married John W. Anderson August 1, 1906. To this union 8 children were born, 7 surviving. The body was brought to Gibbon for internment in Riverside Cemetery.

The Golden Record, Vohland, Mabel Marks, Avnelle Pool Lauer and Joan Vohland Hemmerling,1976, Pg. 273, Vol. 1
Submitted by Connie Spindel who adds that John then married Marvel Helen Green. They were parents of 11 children. John fathered 19 children in total.



Paul Anderson - Born in Denmark, 30 Sept 1824.
Died 14 June 1920 age 95 at his home in Shelton. He married Jensena
Christensen, 12 children - 5 survive.
He came to America in 1865, resided in Wisconsin, Illinois and Kansas. Living in Kansas when his wife died. Paul came to Nebraska after her death and lived here for 32 years. On 1 Jan 1889 he married Ida Johnson. They had 4 children, 3 survive, of whom Mrs. Bert Thomas is one. Paul is buried in the Riverside Cemetery at Gibbon, NE.

Shelton Clipper Newspaper, Jun 1920, Nebraska, Buffalo Co., Shelton
Submitted by Connie Spindel who adds that Paul was born in Gundestrup, Aars Parish, Denmark. His wife was born in Smidie, B‘lem Parish, and they were married there. Mrs. Bert Thomas's name is Matilda.


Old Resident Here Died on July 12th at the Age of 69

Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at the Love Mortuary for Albert Bedke, for many years a resident of Schneider township, whose death occurred on July 13th.

Mr. Bedke was born in Germany on May 24, 1878. He passed away at his farm home near Ravenna at the age of 69 years, 1 month and 17 days.

Funeral services were in charge of Rev. A. B. Gray and interment was at the Pleasant Ridge cemetery.

When four years of age the deceased came to the United States with his parents. Their first home was at Grand Island, Nebraska, but a few years later they located on a farm in Schneider Township, in Buffalo County, where Mr. Bedke grew to manhood, making his home in that community until his death.

On November 21, 1899, he was united in marriage to Anna Ida Schmidt. They established their home on the place where he continued to reside for more than forty years. To them was born two children, one dying in infancy, and the other, Frank William Bedke, Junior, survives. Mrs. Bedke died January 23, 1923, and after that the parental home was shared with his son and family, and they lived in peace and harmony for many years.

Mr. Bedke was preceded in death by his parents, one brother and three sisters. Surviving are three brothers, Frank, August, and William Bedke and one sister, Mrs. Ernest Keilig, all living at Ravenna. There are seven grandchildren, Erwin, Robert, Edith, Lois, Phyllis, Marlene, and Merlon Bedke. There are many other relatives.

A son of the soil, he continued the occupation he understood best, was always a successful farmer and a good neighbor but his greatest interest was the welfare of his son, and family.

Ravenna paper, 1947
Submitted by Julie Flynn



J. F. Buddemeier, 83, retired farmer, died following a long illness at 12:20 A. M. today at 213 Avenue C where he had making his home.

Born in Illinois, he had lived in Buffalo county 40 years. Before retiring and moving to Kearney 21 years ago, he had farmed in the Odessa community.

Surviving are a son, Fred, of Denver; a daughter, Mrs. Irene Hall, 210 West 18th, seven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. His wife died 13 years ago.

Funeral arrangements are being delayed to await information from relatives.

The Hub, Kearney, Nebraska, March 1942
Submitted by Dorothy Schendel



On last Tuesday, June 17th, Mrs. Susan D. DeLaBarre, the wife of Mr. Reamer R. DeLaBarre, of Watertown, passed quietly into her rest. She had been a patient suffer for many years, but loving hands in the home were ever faithful in their ministrations to her every want.

Mrs. DeLaBarre was born in Crawford county, Pa, February 19, 1851. She emigrated with her parents to Mercer county, Ill., in 1864. There she was married to R. R. DeLaBarre Jan 1, 1870, and with him came on west in the spring of 1879, settling in Buffalo county, Nebr., where she remained to the close of her earthly life. She leaves to mourn her loss, beside her many friends, a husband, three daughters and two sons and two brothers, R. A. and J. C. Acheson.

For the past sixteen years she lived a devout, consistent christian, and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. The funeral service was held Saturday morning at 10 o'clock , conducted by Rev. W. C. Swartz. The singing, which was exceptionally beautiful, was led by Mr. and Mrs. B. J. Morey, Mrs. L. W. Hall, Mrs. Frank Brown and Mr. Parrish. "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints."

(In addition, the following was published in a later publication of the same newspaper (date unknown).

Card of Thanks

We wish to express our sincere thanks to our many friends and neighbors for their kindness and sympathy shown us in our late bereavement of our loved wife, mother and sister, and also for the many floral offerings.
R. R. DeLaBarre, children and brothers, R. A. and J. C. Acheson.

Miller Forum, June 24, 1909:
Submitted by Tom Fitch



Mildred I. HICKS - 81,
born Kearney, Neb.
Died of heart failure Saturday, San Bernardino, CA.
Resident of San Bernardino County for 70 years.
Office Clerk at Harris Co., 19 yrs. (department store)
Member First Christian Church of Rialto; A.A. R.P.
Survived by a son Bob; and a brother, Donald Bailey of Rialto, CA.
Service 1 pm Wednesday at Bobbitt Memorial Chapel.
Burial at Montecito Memorial Park, Waterman Ave and Barton Rd. Colton, CA.

Extract from San Bernardino County (California) "The Sun" - 11 Jan 1993



Mrs. E. W. Gillham, aged 71 years, 11 months, and 11 days, former long-time resident of David City, died Saturday night, March 23 (1946), at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W.C. Husemoller, in Kearney, after a long illness.

Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Hankins of Kearney in the Home of Funerals, David City, at 3 o'clock Tuesday afternoon. Mrs. Raymond Bock sang "Face to Face" and "In the Garden," with Mrs. Enid Soukup piano accompanist. The pallbearers were W.C. Buchta, John Scheser, John Eberly, Oscar Talbot, Frank Sellhorn, and W.E. Ball. Burial was at the David City Cemetery.

Coming from elsewhere to attend the funeral were Harold Gillham of Omaha, Miss Mabel Gillham of North Platte, Mr. and Mrs. George Wickstrom of Lincoln, Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Husemoller of Kearney and his brother and sister-in-law Mr. And Mrs. Husemoller of North Platte.

Bertha Louise Bahr, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Bahr, was born at Minier, Ill, April 12, 1874, and came to David City with her parents when 11 years old. It was during her early years here that she united with the Methodist Episcopal Church.

She was married to E. W. Gillham in 1896, and they resided here until moving to Kearney in 1919, where Mr. Gillham passed away in 1933.

Surviving Mrs. Gillham are three daughters and one son, Mrs. Irma Wickstrom of Lincoln, Mrs. Rena Husemoller of Kearney, Miss Mabel Gillham of North Platte and G. H. Gillham of Omaha; one grandson, Pfc. D. W. Husemoller of the U.S. Marine Corps.; one brother, A. E. Bahr of Durango, Colo., and a half-brother, Dr. L. B. Kilzer of Laramie, Wyo.

Banne-Press 1946
Submitted by Jeffery Holtz



Guinevere J. Miller - 87
born Kearney, Neb.
died heart attack - 5 Dec 1992, San Gorgonio Hospital (Beaumont, CA?)
Res: Calimesa, CA for 37 yrs.
Empl: real estate broker in Yucaipa, Ca for 15 yrs.
Mmbr: San Gorgonio Catholic Church in Beaumont, CA
Surv: one son, 1 grdch and 1 g-grandchild; one brother (James P. Johnson of Clearlake)
Service private.

Extract from San Bernardino County (California) "The Sun" - 12 Jan 1992



Mathilda Anderson Thomas was born in Smith County, Kansas in August 1878. She came with her parents later that same year to Buffalo County, Nebraska where she lived in the Gibbon Community the remainder of her life. She attended Gibbon school and was married to Bert Thomas. They engaged in farming until his death in 1938. "Tillie" as she was known, continued to operate the farm until 1946 when she moved to town.

She died in the Kearney Hospital on January 7th, 1962. Burial was from Miller-Godberson Mortuary with burial in Gibbon Riverside. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church, Rebekah Lodge, Farm Bureau and Community Kensington.

Surviving are 1 son, 1 daughter, 2 grandchildren, 5 great-grandchildren, 2 brothers and 3 half-sisters. Son, Albert Thomas, Gibbon, Nebraska; daughter, Mrs. Ardella Bentley, Grand Island, Nebraska; brothers, William Anderson, Shelton, Nebraska and John Anderson, Mill City, Oregon.

The Golden Record, By Mabel Marks-Vohland & Avnelle Pool-Lander, pg. 303, Vol. 2, 1981.
Submitted by Connie Spindel, who adds that daughter Ardella Bentley is the wife of William Bentley.


Funeral Services for Charles Young, 73 at Elm Creek Today

Charles E. Young, 73, died at a hospital in Kearney Tuesday evening, Oct. 29, after a lingering illness of nearly two years. He had been in and out of the hospital several times during his illness, but had been cared for mostly at his home in Elm Creek. He was admitted to the hospital Monday noon and grew worse until his death Tuesday. His wife was at his bedside until the last.

Mr. Young, a Buffalo County resident all his life, was born and reared on a farm north of Kearney in the Majors community. He moved with his family to Elm Creek in 1929, where he farmed a few years. They moved into Elm Creek in 1933, after which he worked for the Kansas-Nebraska natural gas company, the Elm Creek Alfalfa Mill and the Village of Elm Creek.

Surviving are his wife Mae; sons: Elvin, Elm Creek and Philip, Sterling, Colo; daughter, Mrs Velma Orcutt, Lexington; brother, Frank, Storm Lake, Ia.; sisters, Nellie Hoss, Oakland, Calif., and Mrs. Amy Reckard, Weeping Water, Nebr., and six grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held this afternoon (Friday) at 2:00 o'clock at the Elm Creek Methodist Church, with Rev. Warren Baker officiating.

The body will lie in state at the church from 1:00 p. m. until the time of the funeral.

Burial will be in the Elm Creek cemetery.

The Peterson funeral home has charge of the arrangements.

The family plans a memorial fund.

Friday, November 1, 1951 (From a clipping, newspaper unknown)
Submitted by Doug Reckard



Don Knight arrived in Walnut on Monday morning with the remains of his daughter, Miss Ada, who passed away at her home in Kearney, Nebraska, Saturday, August 15th, 1914, after a severe illness of two weeks duration, at the age of 15 years, 7 months and 12 days.

Adda G. Knight was the oldest daughter of Don and Nellie Knight, and was born in Walnut, Illinois on January 3rd, 1899. She lived in this place until seven years ago when, with her parents, she moved to Iroquois, South Dakota, where they resided for a time and went from there to Denver, Colorado, where they spent one winter and then went to Kearney, Nebraska, where they have since resided. Here in Walnut she played as a child and in Kearney she developed into beautiful girlhood.

Two weeks previous to her death she was stricken with typhoid fever, which developed into a complication of diseases. She was delirious from the first of her illness, and but little hope was extended to her parents by the physicians and trained nurses in attendance, for her recovery.

No one can explain why such a young girl, such as was Adda, should be called from this life. She had no thought that was not a gentle one, and she was the light of the household, being the only daughter with the exception of a baby sister.

Funeral services were conducted at the home in Kearney, Sunday, and the remains shipped to Walnut and on arrival here were taken to the home of Mr. Knight's aunt, Mrs. Wm. Long. At three o'clock Monday afternoon the funeral cortege left the Long home for Red Oak cemetery, where Rev. Straub conducted the last sad rites.

Adda's class mates in this place, Misses Alta Minier, Blanche Wallis, Lucile Nussle, Elizabeth Andrews, Darlene Fisher and Leota Quilter bore their young friend to her last resting place.

Besides her parents she leaves three brothers, Court, Clyde and Stanley and sister Madeline and many relatives and friends to mourn her untimely death, which comes as a dark shadow to those who loved her so dearly.

Mr. Knight and family have the sincere sympathy of their many friends in this community. We feel the emptiness of human words in times of bitter sorrow. Yet he who "has borne our griefs and carried our sorrow" will comfort and sustain.

Newspaper and Date: Walnut (Illinois) Leader, Friday, August 21, 1914, page 4, column 1
Submitted by Emily Jordan


Funeral Rites Monday For Harvey Ellis, 66

Funeral services were held on Monday, August 9, at 2 p.m. for Harvey Ellis, 66, who died at his home in Shelton, Saturday. Mr. Ellis had been in failing health for many years.

He was born in Shelton, the son of pioneer residents. He had farmed and operated a threshing machine until moving into Shelton in 1932. Surviving are his wife, Lelah M. (Harper) Ellis; two sons, Donald of Grand Island and Robert of Ord. Three daughters, Mrs. Don (Maycl) Moffett of Shelton, Mrs. Ted (Margaret) Petersen of Omaha and Iris Ellis of Grand Island. Four brothers, Glenn of Kearney, and George, Adrian and Clarence of Shelton, and two sisters, Mrs. Charles Ketner of Martinez, California and Mrs. Clarence (Grace) Ross of Nashau, Missouri. One son, Merlyn, preceded him in death.

Rites were held in the Miller- Godberson Funeral Home in Shelton with De. George Chapman officiating. Mrs. Ivan Milbourn was the soloist, accompanied by Mrs. Roy Schroeder.

Pallbearers were Earl Blue, Art Lowell, George Brown, Leo Marks, Glen McCulla, and Kempton Merdinger. Interment was in the Shelton Cemetery.

Shelton Clipper, Thursday, August 12, 1954
Submitted by Kaylynn Loveland


Mrs. Julia Ellis, 82, Longtime Resident, Dies

Mrs. Julia Ellis, widow of the late Thomas Ellis, who was one of the early settlers in this community, died in a Kearney hospital at 1:15 p.m. last Thursday. Mrs. Ellis fell out of her bed and broke a hip bone several weeks ago. She was taken the following day to the hospital and had been there since.

Julia Ester Spicer was born in Illinois, March 29, 1867, and came to the Shelton area as a small child. For many years she made her home here with the late Mr. and Mrs. Stephen McKee.

On March 28, 1885, she was united in marriage to Thomas Ellis and to this union five sons and two daughters were born. They lived on a farm four miles south of Shelton for many years. Following the death of Mr. Ellis on May 20, 1933, she continued to make her home on the farm. In more recent years she had lived with her children, spending most of the time with them. Mrs. Ellis was the last of twelve children. She was a kind and loving wife and mother. She is survived by her seven children; Glenn, Harvey, Adrian, George and Clarence of Shelton, and Mrs. Charles [Bertha Mae] Ketner of California and Mrs. Clarence [Grace] Ross of Kearney, and a number of grandchildren and other relatives.

The Amos Funeral Home had charge of arrangements, last rites being held at the Shelton Methodist Church at 2:00. Rev. Dale Westadt, the pastor, conducted the services. Burial was in the Shelton Cemetery.

The Shelton Clipper, Thursday, December 22, 1949
Submitted by Kaylynn Loveland


Thomas Ellis Dies Suddenly at Home, Stricken While Working
Had Been Resident of This Community Since 1865-Funeral to be Held This Afternoon.

Thomas Ellis, 71, a well known farmer, who had been a resident of this community with the exception of one year since 1865, died suddenly at his home three miles south of Shelton Saturday morning about 11 o'clock. Although he had not been in the best of health, Mr. Ellis worked every day about the place.

After eating a hearty breakfast Saturday morning he hitched up a team and spent a few hours working in the garden. Shortly before 11 o'clock he unhitched the team and came into the house, complaining of chest pains. A physician was summoned, but death occured soon after he arrived. D. D. McKee, a half brother, and E. C. Warren, a close friend of Mr. Ellis were called, but they did not reach the home in time to see him alive.

Thomas Ellis, a son of Edward and Mary (Loomis) Ellis, was born in Dubuque County, Iowa, March 2, 1862. His father died soon after he was born and his mother became the wife of Stephen McKee. In 1865 the family came to Nebraska and located on land 2 miles southeast of Shelton. That was before the Union Pacific Railroad was built across Nebraska.

It was there that Mr. Ellis was reared and secured his early education in the district schools, although he attended only a part of three terms. He began farming on his own account in 1881 when he put in his first crop, but that year his wheat was poor and he worked all the following winter on the railroad section in order to get money to pay his bills.

In the spring of 1882 he went to Colorado where he was employed in the summer in a stone quarry at Lyons. In the fall he returned to Buffalo County and the following spring resumed farming. In 1887 he purchased the Ash Way farm in Shelton township, of 140 acres and later he bought an additional 80 acres, but during the financial panic of 1893, like thousands of others, he was unable to make his payments.

After renting for a number of years, Mr. Ellis made another start in 1898 when he purchased 220 acres of his present farm and for 35 years he has resided continuously on that place. He not only improved the farm and made many changes, but concentrated his efforts upon the cultivation and development of his fields. During the past few years he has rented out most of his land, but continued to live there and being industrious, he seemed to find enough work about the place to keep him busy.

On March 25, 1885, he was united in marriage to Miss Julia Spicer and to that union five sons and two daughters were born. His widow and all of the children survive. They are: Glenn and Harvey of Shelton; Mrs. Charles (Mae) Ketner, who has been living in California; Adrian, George and Clarence of Shelton; and Mrs. Clarence (Grace) Ross of Kearney. He also leaves one brother, Robert Ellis of Chicago, Illinois, and two half brothers, D. D. McKee of Shelton and James McKee of Long Beach, California. Fraternally, Mr. Ellis was identified with Shelton Lodge No. 141, I.O.O.F., and for many years was a member of Shelton Lodge No. 92, Knights of Pythias. He joined the Odd Fellows May 20, 1892, just 41 years previous to the day of his death. He was honorable and upright in all of his business dealings and was not only a substantial farmer, but a good neighbor and friend.

Funeral services, in charge of Rev. Harry E. Patterson, will be held at the M. E. church at 2 o'clock this afternoon and interment will be made in the Shelton Cemetery.

Shelton Clipper, May 24, 1933
Submitted by Kaylynn Loveland



Ref: the "Shelton Clipper", Shelton, Nebraska
Adrian Ellis, 68, died July 8, 1959 at the Veterans Hospital in Grand Island, Nebraska. He was a native of the Shelton community. During WWI he was awarded the Purple Heart. He is survived by a son, daughter, 2 brothers and 2 sisters.
Burial was in Shelton Cemetery.

Ref: Memorial Card
In memory of Adrian Ellis
Born-September 17, 1892-Shelton, Nebraska
Entered into Rest-July 8, 1959
Services-Miller, Godberson Funeral Home, Shelton, Nebraska-Saturday, July 11, 1959-2:00 p.m.
Officiating-Rev. R. Hervey Porter-Hastings, Nebraska
Director-Jack Godberson
Music-Mrs. James Ganz, Soloist
Mrs. Dan Dwiggins, Accompanist
Songs-"Precious Lord, Take My Hand", "Peace in the Valley"
Interment-Shelton Cemetery-Shelton, Nebraska
Shelton American Legion in charge of Military Rites at graveside
Casket Bearers-James Ashton, Walter Ashton, Jack Halbeisen, Don Lacey, Don Walker, Kempton Merdinger

Submitted by Kaylynn Loveland



Ref: the "Shelton Clipper", Shelton, Nebraska; Thursday, July 9, 1968

Mrs. Phidelia Ellis, 82, of Hastings, died Wednesday, July 3, at Mary Lanning Hospital. She was a native of Libertyville, Ill. and came in 1950 to Hastings where she operated a nursing home for a number of years. Funeral services were held on Saturday, July 6 at 10:00 a.m. in the Butler Volland Chapel with the Rev. Robert Townsend officiating. Burial was in the Sunset Memorial Gardens.

Mrs. Ellis is survived by her daughters, Mrs. Alvin L. Wrenfrow of Hastings and Mrs. Mildred Smith of Burbank, Calif., five grandchildren and nine great grandchildren, and her sisters, Mrs. Clarence Ellis and Mrs. Martha Hansen of Shelton.

Ref: Memorial card
In Memory of Mrs. Phidelia Mary Ellis
September 11, 1885-Libertyville, Illinois
July 3, 1968-Hastings, Nebraska
Services-Saturday, July 6, 1968-10:00 a.m.-Chapel of Funeral Home
Clergyman-Dr. Robert L. Townsend
Music-Mrs. Ray C. Beerman, Soloist
Mrs. Ronald Veburg, Organist
Songs-"Beautiful Isle", "Beyond the Sunset"
Pallbearers-Robert Bruner, Ray Billesbach, Burt Bruner, Lloyd Thomas, Floyd Ellis, Dale Wrede
Interment-Sunset Memorial Garden, Hastings, Nebraska

Submitted by Kaylynn Loveland


Shelton Clipper, Thursday, March 8, 1934
Believing Boy Suffering With Sleeping Sickness

Merlyn Ellis, 9, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Ellis of Shelton, was taken to the University hospital at Omaha yesterday for treatment. Physicians said the boy had encephalitis, more commonly known as sleeping sickness. He had been ill for more than two weeks and was first taken to physicians at Grand Island and later to Kearney, then returned to his home here. Tuesday his condition appeared to be much worse and it was decided to take him to the Omaha hospital. He was accompanied to Omaha by his parents and uncle, George Ellis and Mrs. Roy Kneher.

Shelton Clipper, Thursday, March 22, 1934
Shelton Boy Dies in Omaha Last Night

Merlyn Ellis, 9 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Ellis of Shelton, died in the University hospital at Omaha last night, following an illness of several weeks with sleeping sickness. The body will arrive here this evening. No arrangements have been made for the funeral.

Shelton Clipper, March 29, 1934
"Funeral of Little Boy Saturday Afternoon

The funeral of Merlyn Ellis, nine year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Ellis, who died in Omaha early last Thursday morning, was held at the Presbyterian church here last Saturday at 2 o'clock. Rev. S.M. Snider, pastor of the church had charge of the services and interment took place in the Shelton Cemetery.

An autopsy performed at the hospital revealed that death was due to a tumor on the brain, believed to have been caused by an injury on the head. During his illness it was thought the little boy was suffering from sleeping sickness. Merlyn Lyle Ellis was born March 11, 1925, at Shelton, and reached the age of nine years. He leaves to mourn, his father and mother, two brothers and two sisters, Donald, Macyl, Margaret and Robert. He is also survived by his grandmother, Mrs. Thomas Ellis of Shelton, and his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Sam Harper of Omaha, besides a host of other relatives and friends.

Submitted by Kaylynn Loveland



Ref: the "Shelton Clipper", Shelton, Nebraska
George Ellis Sr., a native of Shelton, Nebraska, died January 9, 1966 at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Arthur Stark, in Hastings, Nebrasks. He was born February 2, 1891 to Thomas and Julia Ellis and moved to Hastings a year ago. Burial was in Shelton Cemetery. He leaves 2 sons, George Ellis, Jr., Hastings, Nebr., Wayne Ellis, Shelton, Nebr.; two daughters, Mrs. Arthur Stark, Hastings, Nebr., Mrs. Eugene Schrock, Aurora, Nebr.; one brother, Clarence Ellis, Shelton, Nebr.; and two sisters, Mrs. Charles Ketner, Martinez, Calif. and Mrs. Grace Ross, Kansas City, MO.

Ref: Funeral Memorial Card
In Memory of George Ellis, Sr.
February 2, 1891-Shelton, Nebraska
January 9, 1966-Shelton, Nebraska
Services-Tuesday, January 11, 1966-2:00 p.m.-Shelton Methodist Church, Shelton, Nebraska
Clergyman-Reverend Leonard Clard-Pastor of Shelton Methodist Church, Shelton, Nebraska
Music-Mrs. Howard Peck, Soloist, Mrs. Fred Schroeder, Organist
Songs-"Beautiful Isle of Somewhere", "How Great Thou Art"
Casket Bearers-Jack Callaway, John Mackey, Jack Heskett, Floyd Smith, John P. Kelly, Donald Walker
Interment-Shelton Cemetery, Shelton, Nebraska
Arrangements-Brand-Wilson Mortuary

Submitted by Kaylynn Loveland


Fitting Services Over Remains Brought From France

Shelton, Neb., May 10--(Special.)-The body of Private Eugene L. McWILLIAMS, the first Shelton boy to give up his life for his country overseas, and the first Nebraskan body to be exhumed in France and brought home for burial, arrived here yesterday afternoon. With the body was Private Ervin E. CRAM of Company A, Fifty-seventh infantry, stationed at Camp Dix, N. J. Private CRAM's home is at Humbird, Wis.

Funeral services for Private McWILLIAMS were held at the First Presbyterian church at 3 o'clock this afternoon and were conducted by Rev. F. E. Black.

The funeral was held under the auspices of Shelton subpost of the American Legion, forty local ex-soldiers and ex-sailors being in attendance and dressed in uniform. Accompanying the body the soldiers marched from the morgue to the church and following the service, they marched for a few blocks and then took automobiles to the cemetery.

The procession from the church to the cemetery was one of the longest seen here for many years. All business houses in Shelton were closed during the services. Private McWILLIAMS was buried with full military honors, the firing of a salute over the grave and "taps" summoning peace to his final resting place.

Private McWILLIAMS, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. D. P. McWILLIAMS, was born at Lorton, Neb., and was 22 years of age when he enlisted in the United States engineers in the fall of 1917. He was sent to Camp Lewis, Wash., where he was in training for several months, and was then transferred to another unit and sent overseas. While on the ocean he was stricken with scarlet fever and died in a hospital a few days after the boat reached France. Burial was made in a private plot in the Brest, France, military cemetery.

He is a graduate of the Shelton high school and before entering the service was engaged in farming near here. Besides his parents he is survived by three sisters and one brother. The parents moved from here to Broadwater a few months ago, but returned to Shelton to attend the services.

Grand Island "Daily Independent," Monday, May 10, 1920
Submitted by Kaylynn Loveland



Word was received by local residents Monday that Mrs. Margaret Ogilvie of Gibbon, one of the pioneer residents of that community, had passed away Saturday after a brief illness. Death was due to old age. She was 89.

Her husband, James Ogilvie, was the first Union Pacific agent at Gibbon, this being back in 1867. A son, William, is cashier of the bank of Gibbon. Some grandchildren by a deceased daughter survive also.

Grand Island Daily Independent, Monday, February 9, 1920
Submitted by Kaylynn Loveland


Obituary of E. Jane Graham

There died last evening (January 26, 1912) at 6:30 p.m. at her residence, 33rd Street and Avenue A, Elizabeth Jane Graham, the wife of G. W. Graham, after a decline of several years, and a period of prostration of several weeks.

Mrs. Graham was born near Waynesburg, Kentucky, July 2nd, 1834. In 1848, she was married to James W. Griffin by whom she had four children of whom two are living, Benjamin Griffin, who lives near Gibbon, and Mrs. M. B. Evans of Fort Smith Arkansas. After the death of her husband she was married to George W. Graham December 16 1858. She had eleven children of whom eight are now living. All of her children were at her bedside except one as she passed away. They were Benjamin Griffin of Gibbon; Margaret Morrison of Ashton; M. J. Graham of Kearney; Woodson F. Graham of Gibbon; George R. Graham of Cozad; Mrs. William Bird of Kearney; John E. Graham of Shelton; E. D. Graham of Wood River; and Rachel Rayback of Shelton.

Mrs. Graham was converted in the year 1856 at a meeting held by Rev. Richard Colyer, and united with the Friendship Church near Waynesburg, Kentucky. This was that part of Kentucky made memorable by Harriett Beecher Stowe in the book Uncle Tom's Cabin. Both Mr. and Mrs. Graham were well acquainted with many of the characters and scenes in that book. The spectacle of selling slaves and tearing children from their parents make such an impression on their minds that they never could refer to it without agitation. This was also the border line during the war and as Mr. Graham entered the Union army, for four years his home was in the midst of advancing and receeding forces of both armies. While he was on the battle line his wife was at home taking care of her six children. Many times he had to take them and hide in the woods to escape the Confederate guerillas, and many times she had to flee and hide in the darkness of night as the enemy on his tract tried to apprehend him in his visits home. There were times to try the bravest hearts but this couple never failed in their devotion to the Old Flag. This good woman cannot be honored too much for her fearless patriotism.

After the war, Mr. Graham moved to York County, Nebraska where he engaged in farming and then practice law for a year and a half. In 1879, they moved to Plainfield, Nebraska, now known as Bradshaw, where he founded the Baptist church and preached for six years. They moved to Hill City, Graham County, Kansas, where they had the usual experiences of pioneers, sometimes good crops and sometimes failures. Mrs. Graham occasionally told thrilling tales of experiences that only a strong, brave woman could survive.

During this time she looked after the large family of children, while her husband did pioneer preaching. He organized nine different churches and was pastor of them. The true nobility of her soul was revealed in the splendid help she gave her husband in his work. She was not educated in book learning, and could not boast of the literary schools she passed thru, but she knew life on the frontier and the nature of the human heart, and was responsive to every call that came for help and sympathy.

In 1888, they moved to a farm near Gibbon on the Island, and then as her health finally succumbed under the long strain, they moved to Kearney where she could be free from all care and rest in the affection and watchcare of her children the rest of her days.

Mrs. Graham was a remarkable woman. Generous, kind, considerate of others, interested in those about her, capable of great endurance, and placing the welfare of others before her own welfare, she won the hearts of all who knew her.

Submitted by Kay Hoover



S. M. Cline, 71, passed away on Monday at his home east of Elm Creek. He came to Nebraska from Ohio in 1885. Services were conducted by Rev. J. A. Monkman on July 6 at the home.

Elm Creek Beacon-Elm Creek, Buffalo County, Nebraska
Submitted by Tara Cline with this note:
Salathial Marion Cline was born in 1850 in Ross County, Ohio and died July 4, 1921 in Elm Creek, Buffalo County, Nebraska.


Obituary of Elizabeth Ann Paulus

Elizabeth Ann Shafner Paulus, known as Grandma Paulus, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, January 23, 1831, and died at Kearney, Nebraska, April 21, 1927, aged 96 years, two months and twenty-eight days. From Ohio she moved to Indiana then to Iowa for a number of years before coming to Nebraska March 6, 1887, settling in Kearney, where she has since resided.

On October 23, 1852, in Eaton, Ohio, she was married to John Paulus, who preceded her in death on April 9, 1881. To this union were born eight children.

In early childhood she was confirmed in the German Lutheran church, afterwards united with the Christian church. During the early history of the local church of the United Brethren she transferred her membership to this organization and remained a faithful member. She was deeply interested in the work of the church and never failed to deposit her birthday offering in the Sunday school.

She leaves to mourn her departure one daughter, Mrs. Anna Larimer of Kearney, twelve grandchildren, twenty-two great grandchildren, two sisters, Mrs. Mary Ann Flory of Lawrence, Kansas, who is 94 years of age and Mrs. Eliza Ann Suder of Sheldon, Indiana, who is 92 years of age. Besides these are many other relatives and hosts of friends.

Submitted by Kay Hoover