MJH, Buffalo County NEGenWeb Project © 2001
From NSGS Ancestree
Nebraska State Genealogical Society Journals
Students: Ryan Bauer, Christie Book, Teri Chavanu, Jeff Dauel, Mark Gibbons, Brenda Hawkins, Doyle Drueger, Lisa Lammers, Keith Lockhornp Red Nichols, Linda Paitz, Joni Pritchard, Tanya Razey, Michael Thornton, Lesa Trimble, Jeff Valentine, Christi Wood, Paul Young.
Extraction from "The History of Pleasanton," Buffalo County
Sources: "Weekly Gazette; "Census records; Village of Pleasanton Record Book; "History of Buffalo County;" "Where the Buffalo Roamed;" "The Pleasanton Independent;" and oldsters of the area.
Loup Township Settlers:
1874: F. HAND, J. T. PALMER, L. A. COLBURN, C. B. OAKLEY, N. DICK, N. A. BRUNCE, J. WELCH and E. E. CLARK. 1876: E. COLBURN, J. C. CARR, John SHECKLER. 1878: C. F. MADSEN, J. H. BOOHER, R. REITER, J. J. SPARKS, C. A. TURNER, 0. HOLMES, E. REITER, D. A. PEARSON, J. F. HUNTER, W. H. SPARKS, J. UNICK, E. ROHRBARER, C. E. PARKS. 1879: F. SCHOLZ. 1880 Census: Frank MAULER, Ben GEISLER, Carl KLINE, Henry PERRY, Thomas BELL, John PEARSON, Milt BOOHER, James HUNTER, Fliz and Margaret HAYS, John TISDALE, John PHILLIPS, Jacob BALL. 1885 Census: Daniel POWELL, J. E. JOHNSON, John EDWARDS, Miley ASHER, William HUNTER, G. HELPIN, E. G. PERKINS, F. H. STORS, E. W. NOYES, L. PERKINS, W. W. REESE, J. (or L) R. HUGHES, M. M. DAVIS, Charly LESLIE, S. B. FUNK, J. H. TISDALE, Perry FRAME, John and Betsy PEARSON, G. PEARSON, Harry PERRY, R. JILEG, Robert KIRSCHNER, K. KIRSCHNER, Karl KIRSCHNER, John ENGLISH. Rusco Township Settlers: 1873: E. M. HOLLY 1874: A. PEAKE, John WILSON, L.E. JOHNSON, J. L. SCOTT, L. ALLEN, B.D. GRAHAM, A. M. MORSE, F. BOYER, J. H. LOCKARD 1875: W. E. JORDAN. 1876: W. RUSCO. 1877: M. P. BAKER. S. SCOTT. 1878: John W. PHILLIPS, A. D. COLWELL. 1879: E. BEYER, J. A. BEYER, J.T. FIELD, A.E. OLSEN, C. E. FIELD, S. A. FIELD, Kate TROTT, F. M. MOORE, J. NICKMAN, BEN GEISLER. 1885 Census: William HOLTHUSEN, Rudolph RITTER, Henry PETERS, Frank MAULER, Daniel CLUSTER, Charles DOWNEY, James PEARSON, E. BUSH. Phillip KREITZER, D. ZWIENER, J. ZWIENER, C. W. BISHOP, Adolph JUST, H. A. WELLS, D. L. ANDERSON, A. L. CHINGREN, John CLARK.
C. B. OAKLEY, in 1874 lived in the part of Buffalo County known as Pleasant Valley at that time. Louis UNICK came about 1884 and the only buildings were the WORT house and the livery barn. The Bill LESLIE family came in 1887. Mabel Leslie PERKIN was reportedly the first child born in Pleasanton. School dist. 105 was organized in 1890 by: James WELLIVER,Rudolph RITTER, Sr., A. V. HLAVA. Prior to 1890 classes were reportedly held in the James HUNTER home. W. R. PHILLIPS was identified on an early school picture. About 1908 or 1909 the
Summer 1978 NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - Vol 1, No 1, Page 26
Compiled by 4th grade in 1976 and teacher, Mrs. Corene Phillips
(continued-History of Pleasanton)
first brick school house was built. Teachers were: Miss TABLER, primary; Miss O'NELE, intermediate; Mr. GLADDEN, advanced. (ca 1912)
About 1883 Felix HAYS and his mother had a store on Dry Creek. This was constructed of sod. Later he moved in Riverview and in 1888 combined with the Jim HUNTER store and post office. Riverview was south of the Loup River. In 1890, Hays moved north of the river when the railroad depot was established. In 1893 crooks broke into the store, robbed the post office and set fire to it. He rebuilt a two story general store in 1894 and after Felix HAYS' death, his son, Guerny (who died in 1963), continued the operation.
2 May 1890 Business men. A. V. HLAVA, hardware, F. G. HAYS, the Old Reliable Store; Jerome BACKUS. restaurant; Rennie BACKUS and Ross TITTLER, livery stable. harness shop, Mr. BOHAC and Mr. KASE; J.V. VOSEITKA, blacksmith; Frank SOUKUP, wagonmaker; S. L. LESLIE, boarding house (The Occidental). Mr. DOWNEY and Mr. OSBORNE shipped a carload of hogs to South Omaha.
Mr. Peter FRAME and Miss Grace PERKINS were married on 30 Apr 1890. Mr. Frame planned to open a store in the near future.
The townsite of Pleasanton was surveyed and plotted in 1890, and the village was incorporated on 12 Jan 1894. Men on the board were: E. C. MOFFITT, E. W. NOYES; A. V. HLAVA; D. WORT; S. E. SMITH. Others in or around the village were J. JOHNSON, Walter REESE, Joseph Grammer, D. WORT, Vanzle VOSEITKA, F.L. GRAMKER, C. B. OAKLEY, Thomas BELL, William JOHNSON, Berdine ROGERS, S. REMINGTON, A. V. HLAVA, Charles TROTT, William MOXLEY, E. C. MOFFIT, C. W. WOOD, Dr. J. H. PENN, J. K. BOOHER, E. W. NOYES, Daniel CLUSTER, Marion W. PERKINS, Jerome BACUS, E. E. ADAMS, William RUSCO, Omar WHITE, Mr. KIRSCHNER, J. RATH, L. L. LESLIE, C. W. SPRY.
Dr. PENN was the first doctor and also owned the drugstore. The next doctor was Dr. NEELY, from Haven's Chapel, and he also bought the drugstore. In 1903 P. S. HOLTZINGER came from Iowa and bought the drugstore. Dr. RANDALL came in 1904. The first baby he delivered was Isabel Eaton PHILLIPS on 21 Oct 1904.
Telephone operators were Hattie BOOHER, Helen PRITCHARD, Bonnie BALL, Tracy HERMANNI, and Florence ZBINDEN. In 1906, Thomas DAVIS, Right WORT and Mr. GRAVELY were selected to choose the site and materials for the jail, and Louis Peters built it. In 1907, Mr. VANBUSKIRK and Mr. LUND owned land near the village.
Summer 1978 NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - Vol 1, No 1, Page 27
C-Compiled by 4th grade in 1976 and teachers Mrs. Corene Phillips
(continued-History of Pleasanton)
Mrs. Jennie WORT had the highest bowling score in 1912. D. PHILLIPS furnished the lumber for the cook house at the Scout camp. Wynne NOYES, (?baseball) pitcher, grew up in Pleasanton. He was supposedly sold to the Cleveland Indians for $10,000 in 1912. T. M. DAVIS purchased a new Brush runabout car. John PRITCHARD bought a Carter car for $1,850. Robert EATON, Art ASHER, Thomas SPELLMAN, Milt BOOHER and P. O. FRAME went to Lincoln to the State Fair in Mr. EATON's Ford car. They left Pleasanton at 4:30 a.m. and arrived there at 1:30 p.m. John BAUER built a new barn. Robert KIRSCHNER drained his 120 acre lagoon. On 24 Jan 1912 Miss Anna RASMUSSEN and William ZIMMER were married.
Services were preached in German at the E.U.B. Church on 28 Jul 1912. Village board in 1915 was Dr. RANDALL. Albert PEARSON, Robert EATON, Frank GRAMMER. The Draymen in 1907 were Isaac HOLMES, L. J. FRANKLIN, and Robert EATON. The E. U. B. Church first had Sunday School in 1892 at the school house across the river. Daniel Cluster was the first superintendent followed by C. W. WOOD and Marion PERKINS. Church was organized in 1895, in Jan 1899 the new church was finished and dedicated. The only charter member still alive (1976) is Mrs. Anna REESE RUBERT, who lives in the Good Samaritan Home in Ravenna.
Catholic services were first held in GRAMNER's Hall. Services were held once a month with Father WOLF and other priests coming from Grand Island. The white frame church was dedicated on 1 Jan 1910. Ground was broken for the new brick church on 27 Sep 1959.
The Lutheran Church building was moved from near Poole in 1955.
© 2001 for NSGS & NEGenWeb Project
by Dennis Norvell, Kathie Harrison, Connie Snyder, T&C Miller, Bill Wever