Wednesday, June 15, 1887
"Weekly Burtonian".

COME WEST

TO

NEBRASKA

AND

BURT COUNTY



THE BOOM OF 1887.


HOMESEEKERS COME WEST!


A Breif (sic) Description of Nebras-

ka and Burt County


THE BEST STATE

IN THE UNION AND

THE BEST COUNTY

IN THE STATE


Marketing Facilities Second To

None in the State


 

THE STATE OF NEBRASKA
is to-day the scene of the greatest activity of any other sector of the globe, in all that tends to the development of a great state, an empire of wealth and pleasant homes. Thousands of people working, watching and seizing upon every opportunity to forward the building up of a great state, and thousands of others coming in every day, we might say, taking up vacant lands settling there on and making pleasant homes; Railroads branching out in all directions, making markets in all parts of the state.

As for

NEBRASKA SOIL,
we do not waver a particle when we say that there is none better in the world. Many eastern people have an idea that the prairies of Nebraska are barren and devoid of productive nutriment, and they got that idea from a certain shiftless class that at one time infested this beautiful state, and carried the idea that the proper way to follow Horace Greeley's advice was to go west, sit down and let the gold roll in without any exertion on their part. But when the gold failed to roll, they left the country (which by the way was a blessing) saying that it was a poor state. It is from just such people that evil reports have been circulated in the east; from the scum of the lowest caste, that are an eye-sore to industrious people wherever they go. They are of no account any place and especially in the west. It is the live, pushing, industrious class of men that the west wants, and Nebraska is mostly made up of such men, and to such classes, briefly indicated there are grand and abundant openings and inducements in this new west.
NEBRASKA'S BOOM
The "boom" Nebraska is enjoying this season is genuine in the main, and 1887 will always be remembered as THE BOOM year in the great "Corn State." But comparatively few years have passed since land in Nebraska was dear at remarkably low figures. But what a change in these few years. What was once called worthless land is now settled and the thrifty farmer has "fixed" himself. In short, the country is prosperous and is growing in wealth year by year, to prove it.

Another thing: There is no good reason why this great west may not become as important for its manufacturies as for its production of all the life foods. Some certain kinds of factories are already working in various parts of the state and none have failed, and for that reason we predict that the years will be few before we can bring the consumer where the products are instead of shipping the products to the consumer. Why not? There is no better country in the world for raising produce, and there is certainly no good reason why manufacturies should not pay. They will pay.

The great activity of Nebraska is not confined to former residents and and (sic) business men by any means. New men and new capital are coming in from all parts of the older states, and from the old world even. All this goes to show that Nebraska's fame has been known somehow. But when we stop to think that Nebraska has taken premiums at World Exhibitions and that it has been universally conceded that it was the best advertised state in the Union, this immense "boom" can be accounted for, in a measure at least.

Of course depredations have been committed, and reported in the east as being samples of the average settler. But when such things are sifted down, we find that a large proportion of the crimes are committed by tramps, stragglers and black-legs, that roam over the four quarters of the globe, and not settlers at all. Let home seekers come and see for themselves, and they will be fully convinced at the beauty, fertility and prosperity of the country, as well as the quiet, peaceable, indrustrious (sic) and moral character of the citizens. We can truthfully say that the whole state is alive, moving forward to a higher plain, a more exalted station in the sisterhood of states. An area of unparallelled(sic) prosperity to continue until the state becomes one of

THE GREATEST IN THE UNION.
Burt County
The county that we will speak the most of is situated in the eastern part of Nebraska along the Missouri river. It contains 512 square miles or 327,000 acres of farming land.
THE SOIL
is exceedingly fertile, not only the bottom lands but also the rolling prairies and valleys. The Loess formation, as in most other countries in north eastern Nebraska, underlies the soil, and is from twenty to seventy feet thick, furnishing an inexhaustible substratum of fertility. Burt County is not rich in minerals although coal has been found in some parts. Crops of all kinds are raised successfuly (sic), and fruits of the tenderest variety are produced in abundance. The C St. P. M. & O. R. R. runs nearly through the center of the county from north to south, carrying away all the produce sold by the farmers.

Newcomers are steadily flowing in, and new farmers are gradually settling in various parts of the county, and utilizing the productive soil of Burt. To the live, industrious class we say, "Come, and you will find a hearty welcome; there is plenty of room for you." To the shiftless, moss-backs we emphatically say: Stay away. There is no room for those afflicted with the disease known as the "dry rot," and your chance of "living" will be small.

Desirable homes can be obtained in in (sic) Burt Co. at reasonable rates. The county and towns in it are not "boomed" clear out of existence and beyond the reach of small capitalists, but property remains at its real worth, and even below, in many instances.

Tekamah:
The County Seat of Burt County, is located a little south and east of the center of the county; partly on the bench lands of the Missouri Valley and partly on the contiguous bluffs. The first claim in the present town site was made by Col. B. R. Folsom and others, under the name of the Nebraska Stock Company, on October 7th 1854 The first permanent settlement in Tekamah was made on April 19th, 1885(sic), by Niles R. Folsom and a few others, and a few weeks subsequently W. B. Beck, F. E. Long and Deidrick Fees and wife joined the first settlers. Mrs Fees was the first white woman to come into the county. Shortly after this Oleny Harrington and family arrived.
TEKAMAH WAS INCORPORATED
as a city very early in its history and became the County Seat at the same time. Olney Harrington was made postmaster in 1855. Miles Chilcott opened the first store in 1856. The first child was born in the fall of 1855. The first marriage was that of Lewis P. Peterson to Miss Thomson in the fall of 1856; who now owns and resides on one of the finest farms in Burt County, 8 miles north of here, on the Decatur road. The first school in the county was taught in Tekamah in 1857 by J. R. Conkling who was then a young physician and a brother to our townsman C. W. Conkling. About this time Tekamah was in a
FLOURISHING CONDITION
A paper was printed here for a short time called the Tekamah Times. We also had a bank that issued its own currency, called the Tekamah Bank. This was in the days of the wild cat money. Hard times soon set in and people began to scatter. The war broke out, and for twelve years we made no progress. In 1869 we found Tekamah in a commatos (sic) condition. One small store kept by Judge Gibson, and A. T. Conkling was postmaster, this was all that was left of the once prosperous city of Tekamah. From that time until now our town has had a good healthy steady growth. In 1871 J. Y. Lambert established the Burt County Pilot and its first number was isued(sic) on December 23.

In the fall of 1872 another paper was established called the WEEKLY BURTONIAN, G. P. Hall as proprietor. Mr. Hall continued the paper till May 1st 1887 when he leased it to the present publishers, Webb & Potter.

On the 30th day of August 1876 the first railroad train enterd(sic) our town and for the next four years this was the terminus of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha railroad, and in 1881 the road was completed to Sioux City which gives us a through line from Omaha to St. Paul, which affords full shiping(sic) facilities. The town contains at the present a population of about 2,000 and her school, of which we speak more, further on, rank with the best in the state.

There are now in Tekamah five church organizations; Presbyterians, Methodist, Baptist, Lutherns(sic) and Episcopalian. All but the last have church edifices. The secret organizations are represented as follows: Masonic-Lodge No. 31; Orange Lodge No. 23. I. O. O. F.; I. O. G. T. Lodge No. 56; Boomer Post G. A. R. No. 114; Mackey R. A. Chapter; W. C. T. U.; Y. W. C. T. U. The various branches of business are owned and run by an enterprising class of men that have the requisite push and go-aheadativeness to assure the future success of the town. It has three good hotels that afford the best of accommodatiions(sic) to the traveling public. There are in Tekamah two banks, seven general stores, four groceries, two hardware, three drug, one jeweler, four millinery, one furniture and three flour and feed stores. Five real estate and law offices, three physicans (sic), one dentist, two printing offices, one photograph gallery, two agricultural implement depot, one meat market, three lumber and coal yards, two grain elevators, three blacksmith shops, one gunsmith shop, two wagon shops, four carpenter shops, and four livery stables.

MANUFACTURING ENTERPRISES
We have a canning factory with a capacity of 1,000,000 cans, and employs from seventy-five to one hundred hands about five months in the year. The stock company was orgized(sic) in 1886 with a capitol of $10,000. The factory was built immediatly(sic) and the first season turned out 400,000 cans of goods. They expect to double that amount this year. We are very favorably located for this industry. Situated in the fertile valley of the Missouri, that cannot be surpassed in the world for raising corn and tomatoes. The goods manufactured by this company, were awarded the first premium at the Nebraska State Fair last fall. We also have
A CREAMERY
in course of construction with a capacity of 1,200 cows, which will prove a great benefit to the community. It will be in operation before the first of August. We have an excellent
FLOURING MILL
furnished with the latest improvements for manufacturing flour by the patent roller process. Tekamah has all the natural advantages to make a good town. The City Council has submitted a proposition to
VOTE WATER BONDS
which will, we expect, be put in this fall. We have two public parks planted out to trees which will make a
BEAUTIFUL RESORT
for pleasure seekers, and all through the residence portion of our city, the streets are lined with trees on each side of the streets, which, from a distance, gives the town the appearance of one vast forest. Under the operation of the local option law Tekamah has
NO SALOONS.
And contains an orderly, enterpriseing(sic) and intelligent population. The present town Boards is as follows, Mayor, C. F. Dickinson, Councilmen, Ed Shafer, Clark Chilcott, Chas B. Telyea, G. P. Brookings; Clerk, Robert Smith; City Attorney, H. W. Gillis.

Tekamah is about fifty miles north of Omaha. We have a great advantage in markets, and dont(sic) have to pay three times the worth of an artical(sic) in freight rates.

Some of Our Business Men.
We herewith present an engraving of the Hopewell & Harrinton(sic) Bank building, a part of which has been fitted up in luxurious style and used as a bank by Hopewell and Harrington. The names of the managers are a sufficient guarantee of the solidity of the bank. The rest of the building is filled up as offices. On the south front of the building will be found the real estate, loan and abstract office of W. B. ROBERTS, whose rapidly increasing business proves his fair dealing.

In the second story H. W. Gillis has his law office. Mr. Gillis is an old settler of this county, formerly living at Arizona. He has but recently moved to Tekamah, where, by his energy and ambition he is succeeding in establisheg(sic) a flourishing business.

The oldest firm in the city dealing in general merchandise is that of WALLACE & WORCESTER. What we can say in regards to their energy, integrity and reliability would be no news to the people of Burt. They have established a trade second to none in the county, are always to the front in any enterprise for the benefit of the town, and any undertakiug(sic) with their management is sure of success.

J. G. EARLY, Music Dealer, is also an old resident of Tekamah. He keeps on hand a full supply of musical instruments, songs etc. Mr. Early has been largely instrumental in keeping up the record of Tekamah's brass band, which has gained the reputation as one of the best bands in the state, at State Fairs Reunions, etc. But recently Mr. CHARLES TELYZA purchased a half interest of Mr. Early in his store, and the new firm launches out with the promise of great success.

The SHAFER SISTERS are proprietors of perhaps the largest Millinery establishment in the county. They have worked up an immense trade in a short space of time, and are gaining a wide reputation of turning out the fanciest goods made.

THE CITY JEWELRY STORE is the leading store of the kind in the county and from the time of its start here some years ago, (it being the continuation of Zanner jewelry store, the oldest in Northern Nebraska) the business has been conducted with a push and energy that denotes its being entitled to a position among the most reliable business houses of the county. The proprietor, Mr. B. F. GRIFFIN, has within the last year fitted up the north room in the brick block occupied by the Merchants Hotel, and it goes without saying that it is one of the neatest best arranged and best stocked jewelery(sic) stores outside of the larger cities in the state. To any one living in the territory tributary to Tekamah and contemplating the purchase of anything in jewelery(sic) line. We feel no hesitency(sic) in recomending(sic) the "City Jewelery(sic) store" as a reliable place to trade.

PHIL SLAUGHTER, dealer in groceries and produce does quite an extensive business in that line. He has not been in his present establishment a great length of time, but is fast gaining the confidence of his customers. He also has an ice cream room in connection which is well patronized by the public.

The Poetry of the Boom.
The following words were sung recently, "with great effect," at a citizens' meeting in Cambricge(sic), Ohio, to the well known tune of "My Maryland."
BOOM THE TOWN.

If we would prosper like the West,
Boom the town, yes, boom the town!
We love our native place the best,
Boom the town, yes, boom the town!
Then rise and shine, your light is come,
Do something for the town and home:
Lets pull together, everyone.
Boom the town, yes, boom the town!

We've gas and oil beneath the soil,
Boom the town, yes, boom the town!
It waits to bless the sons of toil,
Boom the town, yes, boom the town!
Just put your shoulder to the wheel,
Sell out enough to make you feel
That duty's done-and none will squeal.
Boom the town, yes, boom the town!

We're built upon a solid rock,
Boom the town, yes, boom the town;
And fear not flood nor cyclone's shock,
Boom the town, yes, boom the town!
Our grain field glisen(sic) in the sun,
And will produce till kingdom come.
Then why not keep the boys at home?
Boom the town, yes, boom the town!

The Western boom is on, you know,
Boom the town, yes, boom the town!
We're "getting there," but going slow,
Boom the town, yes, boom the town!
O Wichita, where is thy charm?
And Chattanooga, it's two (sic) warm;
Return, O, western wanderer, home,
Boom the town, yes, boom the town!

Our shops are busy all year around,
Boom the town, yes, boom the town!
Our merchants are excelled by none,
Our workingmen are number one.
Don't run away, but buy a home,
Boom the town, yes, boom the town.

The faithful historian does not state whether or not the enthusiastic citizens who so widely applauded the song, immediately proceeded to "shell out enough" to make them "feel that duty's done, but there is no question that the sentiment is excellent, whatever may be said of the poetry. -Trade Review.


LYONS
The "Queen City of the Logan Valley," is a beautiful city of seven or eight hundred inhabitants, situated midway between Omaha and Sioux City, on the Nebraska division of the C. St. P. M. & O. railroad, is noted for its neatness, freshness, morality, its freedom from the saloon element, its prosperity and the productivness(sic) of its surrounding country. In June of 1866, a party of sturdy pioneers, including M. Y. Wiltse, R. S. and J. D. Hart, P. McMullen, Geo. Beeman and others, mostly from Wis., pushed across the old "Muddy" at Decatur, in search of homes. Not being suited with lands adjacent to Decatur, they were informed of the Logan Valley, but were admonished not to select land so far from the market. Decatur then being the chief town of the county. They, however, were determined to see this Valley, which was considered sterile, and came one evening to an eminence, overlooking the "Valley of the Logan." They were enraptured with the beautiful panorama spread before them-a sea of waving grass, reaching to thd(sic) utmost limits of the horizon, with the swift-running Logan Creek winding its zigzag course directly through the center- a beautiful area of rich loamy soil, a hunting ground for the untutored red man, a land to fill a farmer with admiration, and eligible to homesteaders. What more could these homeseeking pioneers desire? They located their claims and and(sic) commenced breaking prairie, leaving their families at Decatur. In July of the same year Josiah Everette, another Wisconsinite, came to the Logan Valley, located him a claim and settled there with his family, thereby being the first white family that lived in the Valley. The following spring, Wiltse and the others moved their families on their claims, and then the Valley, which for ages had been the feeding ground for bison, where the sneaking coyote had dug his hole unsoared, where the bands of roving indians had met their foes in battle, echoed to the first sounds of civilization.

The rich soil was made to produce cereals, and the succulent grass furnished ample food for lowring(sic) herds of domestic bovines. These hardy frontiersmen, by their indomitable energy in developinging (sic) the rich country, induced others to settle, and to-day the Logan Valley is one of the finest farming countries in the west. Those early pioneers are thrifty, well-to-do farmers who have no fear of hard times; independent farmers.

In 1868, Waldo Lyon, whose name the town bears, located on the present site of the town. In 1869 the first (unreadable) was built by Freeland & Warner of Onawa, Iowa. In 1870, Waldo Lyon and Sons erected the first flouring mill in the Valley, at a cost of $10,000. The mill has since been enlarged and furnished with the Patent Roller process, and to-day stands at a cost of $20,000, one of the finest mills in the state. Their brands of flour are recognized among the best and command a ready sale.

The town commenced to boom at the advent of a railroad in 1879, and has had a steady prosperous, permanent growth, and to-day there is no business overdone.

We have at present, two fine, large elevators; three coal dealers; two lumber yards; two livery and feed stables; two blacksmith shops; two wagon shops; two good hotels; one mammoth harness shop; two fine restaurants; two hardware firms, each carrying fine, large stocks; two firms dealing in agricultural implements; two drug stores carrying full stocks of drugs, medicines, paints, etc.; three general merchandise stores; one dry goods and ladies furnishing goods establishment; two millinery and dressmaking stores; one grocery store, full line of groceries and canned goods, one furniture store; one jewellry(sic) store; one bank; one newspaper, "The Lyons Mirror," two barber shops; one shoe shop, boots and shoes made to order; two real estate and insurance firms; two doctors, one lawyer, and one will kept meat market. We have a fine, new brick school building completed in 1886 at a cost of $5,000. This building is an ornament to the town, being situated on a rising knoll, can be seen from far and near.

The Lyons Bros. have the finest brick yard in northeastern Nebraska, the buildings of which cost $2,000. They make pure brick which are ship-(sic) to all parts of the country. We have three fine churches-Methodist, Presterian(sic) and Catholic.

Lyons, surrounded by such a magnificent farming country, commands large railroad shipments, and the prosperity of her business men indicates no lack of patronage. The scenery surrounding the town is possessed of sufficient attraction to cause the stranger to pause and gaze with wonder and admiration. As far as the eye can reach is a stretch of undulating prairie, dotted with cozy farm houses surrounded by billowy seas of waving grain, so suggestive of comfort and prosperity. The silvery thread-like Logan creek, winding its crooked way through the center offers ample water power for mills and factories.

Surely such inducements will not long be ignored, and the day may not be far distant when Lyons will be known as an important manufacturing center. W-P


Tekamah Public Schools.

The Public Schools of Tekamah so justly celebaated(sic) throughout the state were placed upon their present foundation in 1882 by Prof. D. B. Huston who established a course of study and thoroughly organized and graded every department. Prof. Huston was connected with the schools for two years during which time by indomitable energy he succeeded in establishing a plan for grading the schools which since being followed out and enlarged upon has led to their subsequent prosperity. At present the course of study embraces all below the freshmen in college and graduates from the course are admitted to the freshman of the State university without examination.

Prof. Smith who has had charge of the schools for the last three years has witnessed the prosperity of his administration and can point to a school the very first in the state in per cent of attendance. In 1886 the enumeration was 459 and of these 428 were enrolled in the schools making a showing not equalled (sic) by any town in the state.

The High School has graduates thirty-six in all. Class of '84, 3; class of '85, 8; class of '86, 13; class of '87, 12. Of these graduates many of them are making their own way in life which shows the practical character of the work. The work employs seven teachers most of whom have been the schools(sic) for a term of years and a more efficient corps could not well be found. All deserve special mention in this connection but space forbids a more extended notice than to give their respective positions; First primary department, Amanda Olson, 2d primary, Dora Lillie, 2d intermediate, Mrs. Celete Fifield, Grammar, C. F. Beck, Asst. High School, Miss Ada Gradner, High School and Supt. Prof. J. A. Smith. To the teaching force has been added a fine line of apparatus, books and specimens which greatly increase the power to impart higher instruction.

Much of the prosperity of the schools is due to the liberal and enterprising members of the school board. Nothing has been withheld that would increase their usefulness. The Board has done its whole duty.

Prof. C. F. Beck as he will henceforth be known who has presided so ably over the Grammar department for the last three years, has been promoted to the superintendency of the schools for the ensuring year. Prof. B. has a host of friends and well-wishers in Tekamah who wish him abundant success in his new field. He is young, energetic, and ambitious and a close student.

Prof. Smith after a successful and satisfactory term of service lays down the work.


Typed by Hal & Theda Haswell. Thank you!

RETURN TO BURT COUNTY NEWS

Return to Burt County ON-LINE RESOURCES


NEGenWeb | Burt Co. Home page

©1998, 1999, 2000 Burt Co, NEGenWeb, Bill Wever