Search billions of records on


Typed for inclusion on this page by Hal & Theda Haswell. Thank you!
The newspaper name & date of publication appears at the top of each.

Anderson, Eddie
Bates, Orville Russell
Calnon, George
Christenson, Otto H.
Classen, George
Doescher, Ed.
Hart, John
Johnson, Lawrence
Kelley, Dean D.
LaFrenz, Julius
Larson, Floyd Elim Oswald
Lloyd, George
McDonald, Ernest
McGraw, Herbert Glen
Peterson, Swen Harry
Rogers, William P. "Perry"
Sackett, Nate
Southwell, Charley
Sundquist, Edward
Whitney, Leslie Eckerson

[Burt County Herald, October 25, 1918]

Popular Tekamah Boy Pays the Supreme Sacrifice for Freedom

   Julius LaFrenz, of this city was killed in action September 12th on fields of France. He is the first Tekamah boy to pay the supreme price on foreign soil., his name will be always that of a hero, as he did all he possibly could for his country.
   The father received the following dispatch from the war department in Washington, D. C.

   Mr. Chris LaFrenz:--Deeply regret to inform you that Corporal Julius LaFrenz is officially reported killed in action Sept., 12th

            Harris, Adj. Gen'l.

   Julius LaFrenz was born February 29th 1888, in Pierce county, Nebraska, and with his parents came to Burt county in 1894 where he continued to reside with them until he entered the service of his country early in the year 1918. He was a bright young man with a promising future and stood at the top in any line of work which he persued (sic). The day before he was killed he wrote home telling how he was succeeding and was well and busy doing his part in this great war.

   Mr. Chris LaFrenz is German, and speaking of this loss of his son, by German bullets, said, his parents had brought him along with the other children from Germany to America when they were mere children, so they could escape the terrible military life which awaited them in a few more, now to think that I had to send my son back there to help the civilized world crush this terrible country, and to loose (sic) his life in protecting from the terrible oppression of the Huns, is almost too much; I am proud that my son could do this, altho I regret that he had to pay for my freedom with his life."

   The deep sympathy of the community is extended to his relatives in this time of sorrow.

[October 11, 1918 issue of the "Oakland Independent & Republican"]


  Memorial services for Private Swen Harry Peterson, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Peterson of Argo, were held at the Lutheran church here, Tuesday afternoon. Rev. C. F. Sandahl of Oakland delivered an impressive and eloquent memorial address. The choir rendered special music. The church was decorated with flags hung at half mast and with cut flowers and potted plants. A large photo of the fallen patriot was draped with flags. At the close of the service the church bell was tolled once for each of his twenty-seven years. Private Peterson was born in Swaburg, May 7, 1891. Except for a time spent in South Dakota, he spent his life here and in the Argo neighborhood, where his parents now reside. Last December he enlisted in the Seventh Nebraska regiment --the unluck (sic) Seventh--and when that disbanded he joined the Marine corps, leaving in January for Paris Island, Ga. In May he arrived safely in France, where he soon saw active service. On July 18, he made his supreme sacrifice and offered up his life for his beloved country. He leaves to mourn for him his parents and five sisters, Edith, now Mrs. Will Johnson; Nellie, Violet, Florence and Mabel, and one brother, Emil. The sincere sympathy of all is extended to the bereaved who are sorrowing at the death of their son and brother. May they be consoled by the blessing of the Holy Father, who doeth all things well, and by the knowledge that their dear one met an honorable death in upholding the cause of our country.

[Sept 26, 1918 issue of the Decatur Herald]

   1st. Sergeant, William P. Rogers was born near Anthon, Iowa March 14, 1895, spent his 23rd birthday on the train going to the front in France, upon which day he was injured in a train accident.
   He arrived in Decatur at the age of 12 years, in 1907, which place has been his home since that time. He was very energetic at all times; he, together with his younger brother and sister, assisted in purchasing a home for the comfort of his mother and family. He always made good in every position he was placed, doing his whole duty at all times.
   He was baptized when 10 years of age, according to his own manner, which was to kneel upon his knees, and wanted full baptism of a bowl of water, and become a member of the Methodist Church.
   He leaves two sisters, one half brother, and his brother Charles who is now on his way to France leaving this week from New Jersey. Upon receipt of the telegram, announcing the death of his brother, he said he would go across, and fight for both of them.
   Perry was always a studious young man, attended Decatur High School to the 10th grade when he took up the responsibilities of life.
   He enlisted in the 4th Nebraska Regiment, June 19, 1916, went into training at once, and remained much of the time up to January 16, 1917 at Liano Grande New Mexico, where he was promoted to Mess Sergeant, which which (sic) place he filled creditably.
   From March to May, 1916, he was stationed at Sioux City, Iowa where he was honorably discharged.
   After war was declared he was eager to re-enlist, and again enlisted at Walthill, Nebraska where he was again made Sergeant, which place he filled to the satisfaction of his superior officers.
   He was called to Washington January 18th, where he remained until February 22nd. He landed in England, March 6, 1918, arrived in France, March 14th 1918 on which date through a railroad accident he was injured.
   Since his arrival in France, he was supply agent, and made Sergeant of the first class, was purchasing sergeant for a large division, also had charge of a large sawmill with a crew of 110 men under him.
   In all of his letters, he brought good cheer to his home folks and expressed the hope of seeing the strife over, and of his return home.
   He was at the Bay of Biscay in June, for a little recreation, and wrote of the desolation, hunger and privations of the people there. Noting a poor woman and her starving boys at her side, he thanked God it was not his mother.
   Perry did his part in buying Liberty Bonds, and in a recent letter stated he was making his last payment on Bonds, and that he was ready to buy more.
   In his last letter of July 27th he said our troops were giving the Huns what they deserve and the days were getting brighter in France: was very optimistic as to the future, and spoke of his return home, when he would take the little boys out to the high banks for a swim, as boys always enjoy.
   He was the first Decatur boy to give up a noble life in France, for the great cause America is fighting for.

   Following is a poem written by him:

   The Call of the Flag
      By Perry Rogers
Like the dew that's softly falling,
   Here I now a voice that's calling:
Calling to a man that has a heart,
   To a man that lives for duty:
Willing to sacrifice, to do his part.
It's a call that's filled with pity.
   Every man should stop and hear,
To protect the home, the mother'
   The child, and all that's dear.
There's a feeling sort of fills you,
   And it thrills you thro and thro,
As you gaze upon Old Glory:
   On the red the white and blue.
To each it is his duty,
   Why shirk you then your part
When a call that's more than human
   Knocks at every loyal heart.
So when you hear it knocking,
   And, you feel it's time to start;
Don't be an idle dreamer.-
   Go ahead and do your part.

[November 29, 1918 issue of Oakland Independent and Republic]

Otto H. Christenson

   In last week's issue of the Independent there was asked for the address of Otto Christenson. The very next day, Saturday, his brother Emil, now working for Gust. B. Johnson, received a message stating that Otto had been killed in action October 22.

   Otto Christenson was called in the draft and went out of here with one of the first contingents. In May last he was sent over to France with Company M, 355th Infantry. Recently, when no letter had come for a long time, his brother became worried and an attempt was made to learn where Otto was. The telegram carried the answer.

   Private Christenson was born at (unreadable), Sweden, and came to Oakland in 1914. The first year he worked for Carl (unreadable) and after that on various other farms. He had taken out his first citizenship papers. In addition to the brother Emil, the nearest survivors are the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Per Christenson, in Sweden, and five brothers and sisters, also living in Sweden.

[November 29, 1918, issue Oakland Independent and Republic.]

Eddie Anderson

   On Monday came a telegram to Mrs. Ida Anderson, bearing the heart- breaking news that her son Eddie had died in France October 31 from brocho-pneumonia. His last letter was dated September 21. Naturally, his nearest were alarmed over receiving no news from him, so on November 18th they sent an inquiry by cable. No answer has been received, but in place of it came the message stating that Eddie was dead.

   Eddie Anderson was born at Oakland December 23, 1888, and lived here up to the time of being drafted into the army, which was Sept. 19, 1917. He was sent to Camp Funston, and later to Camp Stuart, Virginia. In April he went to France in the capacity of Wagoner. He belonged to the Supply Company of the Fourth Infantry.

   There are left to mourn his early demise the mother, Mrs. Ida Anderson, and the following brothers and sisters. Ellen, Hannah, Carl, and Mrs. Ed Anderson, of Oakland, and Mrs. Carl Nordstrom, of Wauss.

   Eddie was a member of the Swedish Lutheran church, and his is the first of the forty-five stars on its service flag to be turned to gold.

[October 24, 1918 issue of the "Lyons Mirror Sun"]


 Herbert Glen McCraw was born in Wolf City, Texas, on the 20th day of Jan. 1880, and died here in Lyons at the home of his wife's parents, Mr. and Mrs. S. S. Brown, on Friday, Oct.18, 1918. On the 3rd day of April, 1912, he was united in marriage to Eva Brown in Los Angeles, Cal., where he spent most of his life. One child was born to this union, Bernice Ella. He was a devoted husband and father. Over a year ago the family moved to Emerson, Neb., where they lived until Aug. 12, 1918. Mr. McCraw had enlisted in the navy as 1st class mate machinist, and was waiting his call to serve his country. The death of this young Man came as a shock to our people as few were even aware of his sickness. He had been ailing one week with Spanish Influenza which developed into pneumonia. After lingering all Thursday night in intense pain, the spirit departed from his tired body and gave him rest and peace. Those left to mourn his death, beside the wife and daughter, are his father and mother, Mr. and Mrs.. J. W. McCraw, of Pomona, Cal., and five sisters, Mary, Ruth, and Nona McCraw of Pomona, Cal., Mrs. Ida Tucker, of Bakersfield, Cal., Mrs. Ben Cossart, of Portland, Oregon, and one brother, A. W. McCraw of Los Angeles, Cal. The funeral services were held Sunday morning at 10:30 o'clock in charge of Rev. Chas. W. Ray. The floral tributes were profuse and most beautiful. Music was furnished by the choir. The pall bearers were David Harvey, Geo. Moseman, Giles Cleveland, Mr. Sanburn, Claude Eby, and Prof. Linton. After the services the body was tenderly laid to rest in the Lyons cemetery.

Asleep in Jesus! peaceful rest,
 Whose waking is supremely blest!
No fear, no woe, shall dim that hour
 That manifests the Savior's power.
Asleep in Jesus! far from thee
Thy kindred and their graves may be;
But thine is still a blessed sleep,
From which none ever wakes to weep.

[November 7, 1918 issue of the "Lyons Mirror Sun" (typed as appeared)]

Death of Geo. Classen

 Geo. A. Classen, son of Mr. and Mrs. F. H. Classen died very suddenly at 11 a m on Thursday Oct 31, 1918 aged 33 years 3 months and 10 days.

 He was born July 15 1885 at Lyons, Nebr and attended the public school after passing the 11th grade he took up a business course at Omaha for two terms. Afterwards worked in the stores of Lyons and for the past five years was employed in Omaha. He had resigned his position there to enter the army as Motor Mechanic school for government work and while on his sick bed received a call to report for military duty between Nov. 1st and 3rd but George received a higher call and has reported to King of Heaven and earth in the world beyond.

 He was taken sick on Thursday morning Oct 28 and died just one week later. His condition was not considered serious and he called for the daily paper one day before his death.

 The funeral was held at 3 p m Saturday Dr Chas Ray delivering one of the most touching and consoling funeral sermons we have ever heard.

 The services were held on the west lawn of the M. E. Church and although sad and sorrowful it was one of the most beautiful and inspiring funeral services that has ever been our lot to witness -- assembled there in the open air with the hazy Oct. sun gleaming down through the leafless trees the people listened to the excellent music by the choir and Rev Ray's words of condolence.

 The remains were interred in the Lyons cemetery. the pall bearers being: Elmer Reed, Thomas Fritts Arthur Cass, Paul Cainon, Wilber Stauffer and Ed Peterson.

[November 1, 1918 issue of the "Burt County Herald"]

Another Soldier Boy Victim

 Ernest McDonald young son of Mr. and Mrs. Phil McDonald of this city succumbed to an attack of influenza, and double pneumonia Oct. 24, in Lincoln at the mechanical training school of the army, where he had been since August 15th, and was progressing rapidly in his work and received much praise from his commanding officers, but his career of serving his country was suddenly cut short by an attack of Spanish influenza October 5th which developed into double pneumonia, but all that doctors and nurses could do for him was to no avail and he patiently endured his pain without complaint and was conscious until the last, and only ten minutes before he passed to the Great Beyond, sang a verse of the Star Spangled Banner, then saluted his company and cheered them to the last. A great and noble way in which to die, showing his true spirit of devotion and patriotism to his country was first in his heart, a true soldier of America.

 Ernest McDonald was born near Craig February 6th 1897; the first seventeen years of his life were pased (sic) on the home farm with his parents, and following two years in Fremont where he attended school, he was employed in a garage. Then with the family came to Arizona where he resided until he was called to the colors August 15th of this year. Surviving him are his father, mother, sister Mrs. Carl Wilcox and brothers Simmie of Tekamah, and Will of Albion, with other relatives and friends who mourn his loss.

 The deep sympathy of the community is extended to the bereft parents in the loss of their son.

Military honors were paid him, and services were held from the residence of his parents in this city Sunday afternoon the Rev. A. S. Buell of the Methodist church officiating, after which the were given a military escort to the cemetery where with the rattle ofrifle (sic) file and sounding of taps the young soldier boy was laid to rest.

[November 14, 1918 issue of the "Lyons Mirror Sun"]

His Life For His Country

  The daily papers announce the death of Edward Sundquist, son of Mr and Mrs Oscar Sundquist living east of here, which occured (sic) Oct. 8th somewhere in France. He died of disease.

  Edward Sundquist enlisted June 20, 1918 and was stationed at Camp Funston and later at Camp Dodge, Iowa. On the 19 of Aug the parents received two postal cards from him, written in New York which is the last they ever heard from him except a government card announcing his arrival overseas.

  Mr and Mrs Sundquist have two other boys in the service -- Emil at Omaha and Gilbert at Camp Dodge. They surely have contributed their share for human freedom.

[October 20, 1916 issue of the "Burt County Herald"]

Killed in the Trenches

 John Hart a Tekamah boy has been killed in the allies great drive on the western front. He was born and raised on a farm southeast of Tekamah and had many friends. His parents are both dead but his sister Miss Ida makes her home with Mr. and Mrs. Frank Cameron. The following is the notice Miss Hart received from Saskatchewan:

 Bert Hart of Liverhurst received a telegram on Thursday, September 21, informing him of the death of his brother, Private John H. Hart, who was wounded in three places and gased (sic) and death resulted on the 17th. John Hart was an old resident of Boldenhurst district, having homesteaded there and was well known to everyone. He enlisted in the overseas forces last year and he had been at the front for some time. His only relatives in the west are his brother Bert, and his sister, Ida, of Tekamah, Neb., to whom the sympathy of all is extended.

[October 24, 1918 issue of the "Lyons Mirror Sun"]


 The funeral of Dean D. Kelley, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. A. Kelley, was held at the country home on Tuesday afternoon by Dr Chas Wayne Ray. Dean Kelley was born on the farm near Lyons, June 25, 1897, where his boyhood was spent. He enlisted July 24, 1918, in the 46th Regiment of Coast Artillery and was sent to a training camp at Presidio, Calif., later he was transferred to Camp Eustis, Virginia, where he was placed in the cooking department and was soon promoted to a Registered Cook. He had looked forward to the time when he was to be sent across to help win the World's peace.

 His regiment was ready to go, when upon medical examination he was found sick, and was sent to the hospital where he had the best of care.

 His parents had been notified of his sickness and made the long journey to see him but before they reached the camp, he passed away on Oct 15, age 21 years, 3 months and 20 days. His body was prepared and sent home before his parents reached the camp.

 In their hour of sorrow it was very comforting to talk with the minister that had been with him in his sickness and to learn that he had given his heart to Christ and was prepared and ready to die. He leaves to mourn his loss a father and mother, three sisters and one brother and a large host of friends.

 Dean has truly given his life for his country's cause and has gone home to the world of glory.

[April 10, 1919 issue of the "Lyons Mirror Sun"]

The Last Reveille

 Corporal Ed. Doescher, who was in the 89th Div. Co. 1, Infantry, died of the German measles March 24th, so a letter from a Red Cross nurse informed his parents, who now live at West Point and were for years residents of this vicinity. He went into the army in Sept. and was sent across the latter part of the following May and was in the front line trenches for weeks on duty. The last reveille has sounded for another soul that has passed, after having answered his last roll call; and the old time friends here and around the old home, out on the Doescher farm, will in sincerest sympathy join in the sorrow of the family. There is a girl back here in Nebraska, who was awaiting his return and who would have been his wife, had he returned.

[October 24, 1918 issue of "The Craig News"]


 Word was received here last week of the very serious illness of Leslie E. Whitney at the Post Hospital, Ft. Leavenworth, Kas., who was affected with pneumonia which followed Spanish Influenza. His brother, Robert, left at once for that place and found Leslie very low, but rational, optimistic and cheerful. While getting along nicely, insofar as the disease was concerned, the attending physician entertained but slight hopes of his recovery, owing to the natural weakness and condition of his heart. However, when Robert left his bedside at 5 o'clock Thursday evening to go to his hotel, Leslie seemed in such condition that the doctor held some hope of his being able to safely pass the crisis. At 7:20 the same evening Leslie passed away. Word of his death was immediately sent, but to the wrong hotel, and the word failed to reach the brother until 9 o'clock the following morning, when he called at the hospital.

 Full military service was held at the fort at 10 o'clock Friday evening and the body was brought to this place, arriving Saturday evening. An escort of honor from the local Home Guards, a large representation of the I. O. O. F., and numerous friends were at the depot to escort the remains to his home. Services were held at the home Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, being held outdoors as a precaution against the prevailing epidemic, the local Home Guards furnishing a guard of honor for the occasion. Following a beautiful selection by the quartet, Rev. Stoner read the foundation of the text of his remark and offered a most fitting prayer. The following history was then read by T. A. Minier.

 "Leslie Eckerson Whitney, youngest son of Amaziah Whitney and Martha Whitney, was born January 15, 1891, at Wilbur, Saline county, Nebraska, and passed from this life at the Post hospital, Fort Leavenworth, Kas., at 7:30 p. m., October 17, 1918; aged 27 years, 9 months and 2 days. Leslie was inducted into the army service on June 1, 1918, and transferred to the Radio Training school at Lincoln, Neb., for instruction. In the early days of August, 1918, he was transferred to Company A, Sixth training Battalion, Signal Corps, at Fort Leavenworth, Kas.; Second Lieutenant Charles H. Hartell commanding. About three weeks ago he received his overseas examination and overseas clothes, and was made a first-class private. His company was under orders to proceed to Ft. Meade, Md., when the epidemic of Spanish influenza appeared at his fort. It was this disease, together with pneumonia complications, which caused his death after a six-day illness.

 In Civil Life -- Leslie E. Whitney came to Craig, Neb., in 1894. He received his schooling at Craig, being a graduate of Craig High school, and received a business course at the Omaha Business college. At his father's death, Leslie became an active partner in the business firm of A. Whitney, Furniture and Undertaking and it was his intention at the close of his military life to again take up the activities of this business. He was a member of George Armstrong Lodge, No. 241, A. F. and A. M., Craig lodge, No. 251, I. O. O. F. and Leah Rebekah Lodge No. 183. Full military funeral service was held at Ft. Leavenworth at 10 o'clock Friday night, and the remains shipped to Craig, accompanied by his brother, R. F. Whitney. The immediate surviving relatives left to mourn the loss of son and brother are his mother, brothers, Robert F. and Carl H. Whitney, and their wives; nieces, Lois and Ruth Whitney, and the host of friends in Craig and surrounding vicinity."

 After this reading Rev. Stoner delivered a sermon, as beautiful and appropriate a tribute to the memory of a much-loved and highly respected soldier son and brother as could have been delivered. The remarks were in the nature of a patriotic memorial and struck a responsive chord in the hearts of all the host of friends who had gathered to pay homage to a true friend who had made the supreme sacrifice.

 At noon Monday deceased was taken to DeWitt, accompanied by the mother and two brothers. They were accompanied to Uehling, where they entrained, by members of the I. O. O. F., and pall bearers. Interment was had in the DeWitt cemetery at 8 p.m., beside the father, brother, and grandparents.

 At this place ten Spanish War Veterans and members of the State Militia acted as guard of honor and pall bearers, the bugler sounding taps as the body sank to its final rest. Rev E. E. Shafer, pastor of the M. E. church, read the commital (sic) service at the grave. Other former friends also accompanied to the cemetery, about two miles from town.

 We feel that the above obituary would be incomplete without a personal word from The News family. Leslie was one of the first with whom we became acquainted upon coming to Craig, and during the past nine and a half years we enjoyed with him a close friendship. It was one of his customs to drop in at our home often to spend the evening, and we were glad to consider him much as 'one of the family.' These visits were thoroughly enjoyable and the exchange of reminiscences and opinions were all the more pleasant because of the informal feeling which existed. Leslie was a student, well informed and attentive to the ever changing events of the times: an optomist (sic)in the true sense, and well expressed his views of life in his letter published in The News just two weeks ago today. He said: 'A person can get along in the army just as well as out of it, if he will only mind his own business and do his duty. This, of course, is just as true of civil life as army life." Leslie was a fine young man, whose integrity and upright character was beyond question. In his death we have lost a true friend.

[September 27, 1918 issue of "The Burt County Herald"]

Orville Bates Victim of Spanish In-
fluenza, Burried (sic) Here With
Honors, Thursday

 The citizens of Tekamah yesterday, paid their first tribute to a home boy who had given his services to his country and paid the supreme sacrifice before he could reach the battle line, by succuming (sic)to an attack of the dreaded new disease Spanish Influenza at the Great Lakes Training School at Chicago, following a seige (sic) of pneumonia.

 Orville Russell Bates was born on a farm near Fairfield, Iowa April 13 1894 and attended district school in Jefferson county later coming to Tekamah, Nebraska with his parents in October 1907 where he continued to attend school and assisted with work on the farm.

 Orville was a member of the Selective Service draft of June 1917 and was later released from draft when he enlisted in the navy June 29 1918. He was transferred to and inducted into Company O, 15th regiment new aviation unit. Great Lakes Training Station at Great Lakes, Illinois, of which unit he was a member at the time of his death September 23 1918.

 He leaves surviving to mourn his death, his father, James K. Bates, and his mother Lucy M. Bates, sisters Althea Bradford. Mabel Braun and (unreadable) West and brothers Rollo M. Bates now in France and Harold and Arthur Bates, besides a large number of relatives and friends who while they mourn his demise are proud to know that he died an honorable death in the service of his country. He is just as much a hero as the boy who goes over the top of a trench or falls in an air battle, he was willing to make the great sacrifice for his country no matter where he would be called, but it is a deep consolation to his parents and relatives to have his body brought back to his home town and laid to rest near them, instead of on the plains of France.

 The remains arrived Wednesdy(sic) afternoon and were met by a detachment of Guards and conducted to the Presbyterian church where guards of honor were posted until the conclusion of the services the following afternoon. The funeral services were in complete charge of the Tekamah Guards and officiated over by Rev. Benj. A. Fye the pastor assisted by Rev. A. S. Buell pastor of the Methodist church, both members of the Guard, in military uniform, a quartette gave two favorite songs, and Mrs. James A. Clark, rendered a favorite selection of the deceased; Rev. Fye gave a fitting tribute to the memory of the young man taking for his text: "Greater love has no man than this that he lay down his life for his friends."

 Following the ceremony the body was escorted to the cemetery by the Tekamah Guards and band, followed by the guardsmen pallbearers, and the guard of honor whch (sic) preceeded (sic)large cortege of friends to the cemetery, where on the crest of the hill, as the sun was going down the final military honors were given by the soft strains of America, the salutes and taps, which was a fitting tribute and honor to the brave young man who had made the supreme sacrifice for his country.

 All Tekamah joined in paying tribute to his memory, and all places of business remained closed during the services at the church and cemetery.

[January 17, 1919 issue of the "Oakland Independent and Republican"]

Influenza-Pneumonia Laid Low Floyd
Larson at Fort Riley

 Oakland's list of soldier dead has again been added to. This time the death occurred in this country, and the body was therefore sent home for burial. Accompanied by Sergeant Taylor of the battery to which Private Larson belonged, the body arrived last evening, and funeral will be held this afternoon from the Palmquist undertaking parlors, at 1:30. Business houses will be closed during the services. Interment will be in the West Side M.E. cemetery.

 Floyd Elim Oswald Larson was born in the country northwest of Oakland, and this was his home until he was called to the colors June 28, 1918. He was sent to Fort Riley, from there to Fort Douglas, Arizona, and later to Camp Kearney, California. He left Camp Kearney New Year's day and arrived at Fort Riley Jan. 5.

 Last Friday a message came to his relatives here, stating that he was seriously ill. His step-father, Victor Johnson, and brother-in-law, Oscar Erickson, went to Fort Riley on Saturday and on Sunday visited Floyd twice in the hospital. He seemed to be getting along nicely, the doctor thought he had good prospects of recovering, and the two men left that night for home. So sooner had they arrived home than a dispatch came, announcing his death.

 When Floyd was about two years old his father died. His mother later married Victor Johnson and the boy continued to live (several words unreadable) half-brothers and six half-sisters and all lived happily together. These now mourn his untimely passing. He is mourned also by his mother, Mrs. Victor Johnson, and by Mr. Johnson; also by his grandmother, Mrs. Nels Johnson, who lives in the Johnson home. Private Johnson was 26 years, one month and 28 days old; a clean likable young man who died for his country.

[October 31, 1918 issue of "The Lyons Mirror"]

Double Funeral

 This community was called upon last Thursday to take part in the sad ordeal of a double funeral. Two children of Geo. Calnon of McDonald, Kansas were buried at the same time.

 Geo Calnon, died Oct 19 1918 at Ft. Leavenworth Kansas where he was attending the U. S. Radio School having enlisted in the service. He was born on a farm about ten miles east of Lyons and was 21 years of age. He was given a military burial by the Lyons Home Guards, which was very impressive and a well deserved ceremony in honor of such a noble young man.

 Frances Calnon was also born on the same farm east of Lyons and was 24 years of age at the time of her death Oct 22 1918. She was united in marriage to Carl Walter about a year ago who is left to mourn her loss. Rev Gately of Tekamah preached the funeral and both bodies were laid to rest in the same grave in the Lyons cemetery.

[November 22, 1918 issue of the "Oakland Independent and Republican"]

Lawrence Johnson "Goes West"
for His Country.

 A government telegram brought the sad intelligencce (sic) yesterday that Lawrence D. Johnson, a young man from this community, had died in France, October 12. His folks here knew that he had been gassed and was in the hospital. It seems that he had been moved from one hospital to another and during that time caught a cold that developed into pnumonia (sic).

 In the latter part of April he went with a draft contingent to Camp (several words unreadable) short time when he was sent with the 89th division to France. Private Johnson was born in Burt county and was 24 years old. Last January he was married to Miss Hattie Stolley of Cedar Bluffs. Since he went to war his wife has been living with her folks there.

 Mr. Johnson is survived by the following brothers living here: Herman, Wilbur, George Arvid, Levi, and the sister, Mrs. Richard Enstrom.

[February 6, 1919 issue of the "Lyons Mirror Sun"]

Another Soldier Boy Dies

 Charley Southwell died at the Herman Anderson farm Feb 2nd, 1919, aged 23 years, 9 months and 15 days. He was born near Lyons in 1895 and was married Apr. 6, 1918 to Miss Nellie Walters. He leaves to mourn his loss a wife; one brother, Hilbert; a sister, Mrs. Eva Waite and his father, William Southwell who lives in Canada.

 He enlisted in the National Guards July 6, 1916, at Lincoln and was discharged June 1, 1917 for disability.

 The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon Rev C. W. Ray preaching the funeral and the remains interred in the Lyons cemetery. The pall bearers were all soldiers as follows: Lieut. M. J. Scanlon, Sergt Lloyd Neal, Arnold Anderson, Arthur Westran, Harry Myers and Charles Newill.

[August 2, 1918 issue of the "Burt County Herald"]

Lieut. George Lloyd, Tekamah Boy
reported Killed in France When
Attempts to Land Machine

 The Herald received a wire Saturday afternoon reporting the death of Lieut. George Lloyd an aviator formerly of this city and Omaha. The the (sic) telegram stated that he met his death as he was landing with his machine in northern France.

 Lloyd has been i (sic) the southern part of France and in a recent letter to his mother Mrs. Mary L. Lloyd, of Chicago, who visited here only a few weeks ago, he mentioned that he would soon be moved north upon the battle lines, so this was probably one of his first encounters.

 An effort was made to locate his mother in Omaha where she had been visiting her mother Mrs. Martha Shafer but she had started for Chicago, where her daughter Miss Edith Lloyd resides, being chief of advertising department of Montgomery & Ward.

 George Lloyd who went over to France last fall, was raised here in Tekamah, and is the first Tekamah boy who has given his life in France. The news which the Herald immediately posted, was the cause of much comment and regret that so fine a young man as he was remembered to be, should be taken so suddenly, but all were proud of his bravery and willingness to serve his country in this great war. While living here in Tekamah, George was for some time a member of the Herald force, sticking type at the old cases, and was a bright and capable young fellow.

 On Tekamah's service flag should be a gold star in memory of this former Tekamah young man and lieutenant who gave his live for his country.

 The sincere sympathy of the many friends are with his mother and sister in this sorrow.

[Craig Times newspaper dated September 26, 1918]

  Last Saturday afternoon the body of Nate Sackett was brought to this place for burial in the family plot. He had been in training at the Great Lakes Training Station and succumbed to an attack of pneumonia, following the Spanish influenza. As was highly proper the body was laid to rest with full military honors, the Craig Home Guards having charge of the services. It had been expected that the body would be accompanied by a naval escort but for some reason this was impossible. It was brought to Omaha where the parents reside and funeral services were held there Saturday morning. Capt B. H. Eby had been notified that the body would arrive on the Saturday afternoon train and that the relatives would greatly appreciate the Home Guards having charge of the services. Accordingly the train was met by the Guards and given military escort to the cemetery, members of the company acting as pall bearers. Ray Lewton also acted as escort. After a brief service at the grave, conducted by the Minister from Omaha, the body, covered by the American Flag was lowered to it's final resting place, while bugler L. H. Smith blew "taps". Most beautiful floral emblems had been furnished by friends and relatives and his casketwas wrapped in the American flag symbol of the country for which he gave his life while "doing his bit". Older residents recall the deceased as a little boy when his parents lived near here.

 © 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Bill Wever