"IMMIGRANT ISSUE"

of the Lincoln State Journal
Sunday 5 June 1887.

This special edition was intended to PROMOTE Nebraska as a state and provide the towns of with an opportunity to advertise their status, attract new residents.


NEBRASKA STATE JOURNAL, LINCOLN, SUNDAY 5 JUNE 1887    p 11

BRAINARD

Situated in Butler County - on the Union Pacific Railroad - Thirty-four Miles From Lincoln - Population Three Hundred and Fifty

      Brainard is situated in the eastern part of Bulter county on the Omaha & Republican Valley branch of the Union Pacific railroad and has a population of three hundred and fifty souls. It is in the center of a prosperous agricultural and stock raising district, some of the finest farms of the state being located in the vicinity. The Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley railroad is now building through the town and trains will be running by August 1, 1887, thus giving us eastern, western and southern markets. The business houses are as follows: Four general stores, one grocery, one restaurant, two drug stores, two livery stables, one harness shop, two hotels, one coal and lumber yard, one butcher shop, two hardware stores, three stock and grain dealers, one general shipper, three blacksmiths, two physicians, five carpenters and two saloons. These firms do a business aggregating $113,000 per annum. As far as could be ascertained, the shipments for the last twelve months amounts to 520 carloads of grain, fifty of hogs, eighteen of cattle and four of emigrant movables. The bank, which styles itself the Bank of Brainard, transacts an average of $500,000 worth of business per year.
      The business men are all energetic, wide-awake men and alive to the interests of the town and their customers. The farmers in this vicinity are of an intelligent and industrious clan and the appearance of their farm shows thrift and prosperity. During this summer there will be erected two large churches and a school house, forty by forty eight and two stories high, besides the depot and a great many other dwellings and business houses. In fact we are just beginning to boom. There has been received at this station fifty-six cars of timber, coal twenty-one cars, stone and brick four cars, cattle five cars, merchandise four cars, household goods one car, flour one car, salt three cars. This includes only whole car lots.


NEBRASKA STATE JOURNAL, LINCOLN, SUNDAY 5 JUNE 1887    p 18

DAVID CITY

The County Seat of Butler County - On the Burlington & Missouri and Union pacific Railroads - Forty-four Miles From Lincoln - Population Two Thousand One Hundred and Fifty.

      The county seat of Butler county is located upon a level plain at the intersection of the Burlington & Missouri and Union Pacific railroads. It is fifty miles northwest of Lincoln, the state capital, and about sixty miles southwest of Omaha. Butler county was first organized in 1868 with a population of about 200. David City was chosen for the county seat and the next nearest available town was Seward, twenty-five miles away. From 1868 until 1877 there was no railroads penetrating the county, but in that year the roads were built and from that time the county and city commenced to grow. The present population will exceed 1,500. The school facilities are excellent. There are 518 children of school age, 430 of whom are enrolled and the average attendance is about 310.
      The school is under the supervision of one superintendent and seven assistance’s. They occupy one large two story brick building and another will be built this season.
      There are seven church organizations here, viz: Methodist, Congregational, Baptist, Holiness, Catholic, Lutheran and Christian. The first five have edifices of their own and the latter two will probably build this year.
      The usual number of civic societies are found here. The following are the most prominent: Free Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Phythias, Daughters of Rebecca, Ancient order of United Workmen and Knights of Labor.
      Society is as select and refined as that found in any town of this size.
      A business men's organization was recently formed and already its efforts are bringing forth good results. The first and most important of its actions was the effort to advertise the town through one of its local papers. The next, the forming of a stock company with a capital of $25,000, to erect a large three-story hotel. Other projects are on foot and will soon be developed.
      A movement is on foot to build a court house and jail upon the public square. This will add materially to the beauty of the town. Years ago the square was planted to trees and now the entire block is shaded from the sun's rays.
      Two large elevators, one upon each of the railroads, handle the grain raised in this vicinity. During the year last passed there was raised and marketed in this county:
ArticleBushels and HeadsAmount
Corn1,400,000$ 680,000
Oats1,000,000180,000
Wheat250,000150,000
Rye25,0007,500
Flax500,000180,000
Fat cattle6,000270,000
Hogs22,000292,500
Sheep2,00010,000
Total products sold......$1,770,000
      As before mentioned, there are two railroads, passing through the city. Agents of the Fremont & Elkhorn Valley road are now in the county purchasing the right of way for that road its line from Fremont to Hastings and on to Denver. Before the railroad season closed the U.P. will build a branch from Columbus via David City, to Lincoln and connecting this city with its branches to Norfolk, Ord and Albion. When these roads are completed David City will have railroad advantages superior to many of the larger and more pretending cities in the state.
      The writer desires to call attention to the item of flax seed in the above table of products. This is one of the largest flax producing counties in the state and offers splendid inducements for manufacturers of hemp goods. At present the only use made of the straw is food for cattle. It should be converted into merchantable fabrics.
&nbps;     The chief manufacturing industry carried on there is the David City Roller mills, with a capacity of 100 barrels of flour per day. This mill is run by a very fine sixty horse power engine and cost about $25,000.
      The business of the town as now represented consists of two exclusive dry goods, five general dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes three exclusive grocery, one exclusive clothing and gent's furnishing goods and three hardware stocks; three drug stores, three lumber and coal yards, four agricultural implement houses, two bakeries and confectioneries, one notion stock, two meat markets, one millinery establishment, three livery stables, two harness shops, one flour and feed store, one brick yard, two carriage and paint shops, one machine and repair shop, three banks, two hotels and two drug stores.
      The professions are represented by fourteen lawyers, six physicians and four real estate firms. There are two good live newspapers here, each of which has done a great deal to encourage the growth of the city, and each of which is well patronized.
      In looking over the field for western investments and business locations it would be well for the home seeker to give David City a careful consideration on account of its fine agricultural surroundings and its excellent railroad facilities.


NEBRASKA STATE JOURNAL, LINCOLN, SUNDAY 5 JUNE 1887    p 12

ULYSSES


Situated in Butler County - One the Burlington & Missouri Railroad - Forty-three Miles from Lincoln - Population One Thousand.


      Ulysses is a thriving village of one thousand inhabitants, forty-three miles northwest of Lincoln on the Atchison & Nebraska division of the Burlington & Missouri. It is situated in the southern part of Butler county in a beautiful bend in the north branch of the Big Blue river, and has built westward up the hills gently sloping into the valley.
      The village is surrounded by gently undulating prairie land of the very best quality, the soil being rich and black; from two to three feet deep on the prairie and from three to ten on the Blue river bottom, entirely free from stones, sand or gravel, with a sub-soil of loose, making it of inexhaustible fertility. These lands are nearly all settled and cultivated by a thrifty class of farmers mostly native Americans.
      A very large amount of business is done in this village, as the following brief mention will show: There are five general stores, doing an aggregate business last year of $120,000; two grocery stores last year selling goods amounting to $45,000; two lumber yards last year amounting to $60,000. There are also in the village: Two furniture stores, two hardware stores, one meat market, two millinery stores, two harness and saddlery stores; two blacksmith shops, one jewelry store, three agricultural implement houses, five churches, viz.: Methodist, Catholic, Congressional, Episcopal and Christian; two livery stables; two banks, one having a capital of $55,000 and the other of $20,000; one bakery, three drug stores, three barber shops, two hotels, three boarding houses, two weekly newspapers, republican and democratic; one flouring mill with a capacity of twenty-five barrels, per day; one creamery, costing $3,000, with a capacity of 2,500 pounds of butter per day; one sorghum mill; two grain elevators, handling last year over 200 carloads of grain; three firms dealing in fat hogs and cattle.
      No account being made of less than car load lots; there were delivered last year at this depot 271 car loads of freight, and there were forwarded during last year 1,059 car loads of freight, making this station the heaviest shipping point on this division of the Burlington & Missouri railroad.
      There is an excellent graded school in the village employing five teachers, and having an attendance of between 200 and 300 scholars.
      Arrangements have been made within the last year so that graduates from the school will be prepared to enter the State university.
      The business men of Ulysses are active and public spirited, and ready to assist in starting any new enterprise in the village. Any one who will come to Ulysses and start any one of the following named enterprises will receive every assistance and a liberal subscription to aid them, and will find an excellent field for money making, viz: canning factory, carriage and wagon factory, twine factory to make cheap twine from flax straw fiber, paper mill, to make straw wrapping paper, soap factory, machine and repair shop, iron and brass factory.
      Any information wished will be fully and promptly given. Inquiries may be addressed to the Ulysses board of trade, Ulysses, Neb.

Return to Butler County