BELLWOOD FAMILIES




MR. and MRS. FRANK ADAMY

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Adamy were members of this community over half a century. Mr. Adamy owned and operated Adamy Oil Co. in the mid-20's and early 30's. He was Police Judge of the Village of Bellwood many years.
Mrs. Adamy, (Julia Henggeler), only child of Frederick and Julia Henggeler, was born February 22, 1888 on the farm 3 1/2 miles east of Bellwood that was purchased by her parents on February 27, 1882. Julia was married to Frank Adamy, from Platte County, Nebr., on November 9, 1909 and they lived on the same farm until they moved to Bellwood in 1934 into the house built by her parents in 1911. They had four sons, Francis, Leo, Leonard and Robert, all still living in this area, and one daughter, Delores Margrave now living in Phoenix, Arizona. Julia Adamy having spent her entire life in this community, died in July 1969. Frank Adamy died in May 1963. Both had been active members of St. Peter's Catholic Church. Their homes are still owned and lived in by their immediate family.




JOSEPH ANDERSON FAMILY

Joseph Nathaniel and Mary Rolls Brown Anderson originally came to the plains from Waynesburg, Penn., and St. Clairville, Ohio. They were married on April 21, 1892, in Hoxie, Kansas, and homesteaded in Sheridan County, Kansas, where a son Lloyd was born in a sod house. In August of 1894 they migrated to Bellwood, Nebr., where Joe became manager of the estate of J. D. Bell.
Joe and Mary Anderson were very active in the Bellwood Methodist Church. Joe was Superintendent of Sunday School for 30 years. They were a couple who proved their teachings by their example. Joe Anderson was a great talker. He told stories of hauling wagon loads of apples to Columbus long before there was ever a bridge to cross. He also related about the economy. He worked for $10.00 a month, at the time and saved $100.00 in one year.
Mary Anderson was famous for her white cakes and very beautiful white hair. Joe and Mary were married for 55 years. Three more sons were born to Joe and Mary in Bellwood; Paul, Merritt and John. Merritt died at the age of 13 of lockjaw. The other 2 boys grew up, graduated from High School, attended some college and eventually started their own families.




LLOYD ANDERSON FAMILY

Lloyd Anderson married Elna Pauline Evers, who had come from Colome, South Dakota, to Bellwood to stay with her cousin Ada Bell and attend the Bellwood High school. Lloyd and Elna farmed near Bellwood most of their lives. To them 6 children were born: Thomas of Los Altos, Calif.; Richard of Omaha; Harriet of Escondido, Calif.; Mary Jean of Grand Island, Nebr.; Jerry who died at birth; and Jack of Redmond, Wash. The Anderson children grew up, graduated from High School and attended some college. Mary Jean married Marvin Drawbaugh who also has roots from the Bellwood community through the Drawbaugh and Minnick families. Floyd and Elna were very active in church and community affairs and have just recently deceased. They now have 11 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren. Elna and Lloyd were married 62 years.




PAUL ANDERSON FAMILY

Paul Anderson married Clarisa Snoover from the North Bend, Nebr., community. They farmed a good part of their lives near Blencoe, Iowa. They have two sons; Joe and Charles who are married and have families. Joe is a food broker at Sioux City, Iowa and Charles is a professor at Ames, Iowa. Paul Anderson now resides in Fremont, Nebr.




JOHN ANDERSON FAMILY

John Anderson married Penelope Comos from Omaha, Nebr. To them a son Craig was born. At the age of 10, Craig was accidentally electrocuted while erecting a tree house. John Anderson spent most of his life in the advertising business in Lincoln and Omaha.




JESSE D. BELL

Farmer and dealer in general merchandise, Bellwood, with his family located here in 1880, had the town surveyed, and is the founder of the town of Bellwood, which is located in one of the finest farming sections of the State. Although still in its infancy, it bids fair to become a town of no small importance, as its citizens are energetic, enterprising men. He has laid out several beautiful parks, planted with evergreens and all kinds of shade trees; has over one hundred acres of timber, shade, evergreen and fruit trees on his farm. In the winter of 1881, he erected a fine, large store building, nicely furnished and finished. He is an active member of the M. E. Church. He is a native of New Albany, Ind., born October 22, 1835; he was married to Miss Hattie M. Derby, of Cambridge, Ill., Aug. 8, 1865, at Geneseo, Ill.




SAMUEL L. BROWN, M. D.

Physician and druggist, Bellwood, came to Nebraska in 1869, and took up a homestead on Section 18, Town 15, Range 3 east, Franklin Precinct; here he resided four years, and was one of the first settlers on what is known as the table lands, in Butler County; then in the years 1874-75-76, he went to Omaha, where he studied medicine in the medical college of that city; he had read medicine several years previous to this time with his father. In January, 1880, he came to Bellwood and started the drug store which was the first drug store in that town. He was born in Pennsylvania, October 7, 1848. He is now Coroner of Butler County, and Justice of the Peace for Savannah Precinct. Is a member of the K. of H. of David City.




JACOB DEMUTH

Approximately ten years prior to the incorporation of Bellwood, Jacob DeMuth moved to Butler County. Born January 26, 1349, the son of Michael and Margaretha (Reisdorff) DeMuth, he emigrated from his birthplace, Sandweiler, Luxembourg, in 1868. He married Elizabeth Schmit in Fremont, Nebraska on November 2, 1873. Born in Luxembourg on January 6, 1855, Elizabeth, like Jacob had previously lived in the Cascade, Iowa, area before moving to Butler County. In like Jacob homesteaded on one hundred and twenty acres of section thirty, Bone Creek Township. In 1873 he purchased two hundred forty acres of section thirty. In 1880, he purchased forty acres on section thirteen of Savannah Township.
Jacob came to this area with four of his brothers. Nicholas, Michael, Peter, and John who later returned to Luxembourg. He was a charter member of St. Mary's (Luxembourg) parish east of Bellwood. Jacob, his three brothers, their wives and many of their descendants are buried in the Catholic cemetery at Bellwood. Jacob died on October 27, 1928, being preceded in death by his wife on September 2, 1912. Their children number twelve, two of whom died in infancy. The others listed in order of their birth are: Anna, Peter J., Hiller, John, Henry, Margaret, Mary, Michael, Jacob and Nicholas. Mary (Mrs. Joseph Nicholas), of Shelby, is the sole surviving child.
Peter J. had four children; Sylvester, who died in 1989, Loretta of Omaha, Harold of Seal Beach, California, and Isabelle Tomek) of David City. Sylvester's widow-Arnola (Judevine) resides in Bellwood, as does one of their six children, Mary (Romshek).




CHARLES W. DERBY

Farmer and foreman of R. H. Henry's sheep ranch, of Bellwood, in the winter of 1881-82. This ranch has on hand 3,200 sheep, it being the largest sheep ranch in Butler County. Charles W. came to Nebraska in 1872, bought the place where he now lives and opened the farm of J. D. Bell, which joined the present flourishing village of Bellwood. He was one of the original members of the M. E. Church society of the place, which consisted of a class of only seven or eight members. Mr. D. was born in Henry County, Ill., Oct. 27, 1851, was married to Miss Ida Warren, in Savannah Precinct, in 1876; she is a daughter of Miles Warren, an early settler of Butler County.




JOSEPH H. DERBY

Foreman and manager of J. D. Bell & Co.'s general merchandise store, Bellwood, came to Nebraska in 1880; started at first a small store for himself, which he ran until he was induced by Mr. Bell to dispose of his stock and take charge of his store, which he did in the beginning of 1882. He was born in Cambridge, Henry Co., Ill., July 16, 1861.




MICHAEL EBEL

Michael was born in Bavaria, Germany. He came to the U.S. on a sail boat at the age of 18. He married Catherine Miller in New York State and they lived in Rochester, N.Y. until 1870. Catherine was born in 1834 and died on Nov. 7, 1902. They homesteaded in Butler County on the northeast corner of section 8 in Alexis Township on Dec. 4, 1874. The land is now owned by Lucille Kelly. They later moved to the family home in about 1883, which is now owned by Leon Ebel. Farming was their livelihood. Children born to this union were; Anna Ebel Kurt, Lucy Ebel Linden, Mary Ebel Capesius, Frank, Henry and Julia Ebel Klein.




MILES and CLARA ENYEART

Miles J. Enyeart, born February 16, 1882, Keytesville, Mo., the fourth of nine children, was the son of Hiram and Mary Hunter Enyeart. At the age of nine months he came with his parents to a farm seven miles southwest of Bellwood. He married Clara Drawbaugh in 1906. She was born Jan. 6, 1852, Lenox, Iowa, the fifth of seven children, daughter of Armstrong and Sarah Grisinger Drawbaugh. As a small girl she came with her family to a farm west of Bellwood. Clara had one sister, Gertrude, married to William Fluharty. They lived for many years in Bellwood, also their daughter, Ada Baer.

Both Miles and Clara received their education in the Bellwood area schools. He often talked about Hamp Hall, an outstanding and much admired teacher who taught in a rural school he attended. Miles graduated from Fremont Normal College, Fremont. Clara attended Fremont Normal also. They farmed six miles west of Bellwood. Miles owned a threshing machine and harvested grain for many farmers in that area. In the winter he sold Buick cars for Guy Walling, David City. In 1918 they rented out their land and moved into town. He started a general insurance agency which he owned and operated for nearly sixty years. For a number of summers the family traveled extensively, visiting every state, capitol city and national park in the United States. In their latter years they lived at Crowell Memorial Home, Blair, Nebr. Miles died In 1967, age 86; Clara in 1975, age 92. Both are buried in the Bellwood cemetery.

They had three children. Wayne married Bessie Stalnaker and lives in Boynton Beach, Fla. They have a son, Jon. Lois married Milton Ebers and lives in Fremont. Their children are Jerry, and twins, Joann and James. Lucille married Clarence Woerth and lives in Los Angeles. They have a daughter, Carol.




JOHN FOHL

John Fohl was born in Gostingen, Luxembourg and came to this country in January of 1892 at the age of 19. He went directly to Bellwood to the home of his aunt, Mrs. Henry Schmit. He worked for Conrad Meister one year for five months for board and room and another year for seven months board and room. In the winter time be attended the country school. He also worked for the Demuth and Zeilinger families.
On May 3, 1899, he was married to Anna Delahamet, the daughter of J. N. Delahamet. They had two sons who died in infancy, and one daughter, Mrs. Nick (Loretta) Schmit. On September 24, 1906, he became a citizen of the United States. He spent his entire lifetime as a farmer and cattle feeder. He fed cattle until the age of 85. Mrs. Fohl passed away in 1955 at the age of 77 and Mr. Fohl passed away in 1963 at the age of 92.





ALFRED J. and RITA HANUS

Alfred was born on February 11, 1939 in Brainard, Ne. Rita Hiller Hanus was born on July 4, 1939 in Columbus, Ne. They were married on August 18, 1955. Seven children were born to this union; Richard J. was born in 1961, graduated from Platte Technical Community College in Columbus, Ne. in l980 and is presently employed by the First National Bank & Trust in Columbus, Ne. Michael L. was born in 1961 and is currently attending school at Southeast Community College in Miford, Ne. Patrick M. was born in 1962 and graduated from Aquinas High School in David City, Ne. in 1960. He will also attend Southeast Community College in Milford, Ne. William P. was horn in 1965. He will he a sophomore at Aquinas High School in David City, Ne. Diane M. was born in 1966 and will be a freshman at Aquinas High School in David City, Ne. Daniel M. was born in 1968 and will be a 7th grader at St. Mary's Grade School in David City, Ne. Brian J. was horn in 1969 and will be a 5th grader at St. Mary's Grade School in David City, Ne.
Alfred is the son of Leo A. and Kristine (Polak) Hanus who are formerly of Bellwood and are now living in Columbus, Ne. They are also the parents of seven other children; Sr. Josita Hanus, Abbot Jerome Hanus O.S.B., Leo E. Hanus, Ernest Hanus, Dorothy Hanus (Hain), Marilyn Hanus (Haerr), Loretta Hanus (Masur).
Leo A. Hanus is the son of Leo and Mary (Mach) Hanus. They were also the parents of seven other children; Joe, John, Ludmilla, Mary, Ann, Emily. and Sr. Marietta. Kristine is the daughter of Adolph and Josephine (Ratkovec) Polak. They were also the parents of seven other children: Joe, Lewis, Lad, Ivan, Agnes, Sr. Pauline and Sr. Loretta.
Leo Hanus was the son of Jon and Josephine (Groulik) Hanus. Mary (Mach) Hanus was the daughter of James and Ann (Truller) Mach.
Adolph Polak was the son of Frank and Pauline (Novacek) Polak, Josephine (Ratkovec) Polak was the daughter of John and Frances (Tomek) Rakovec.
Rita is the daughter of Marlin and Mary (Hiller) Scholz. They are also the parents of five other children; Frances Scholz (Mick), Joseph Scholz, Patricia Scholz (McCafferty), Kenneth Scholz, and Gregory Scholz.
Marlin Scholz is the son of Frank and Emma (Engel) Scholz. They were also the parents of three other children Clarence, Milton, and Harold.
Mary is the daughter of Peter and Rose (Hilger) Hiller. They were also the parents of 10 other children: Ed, Chris, Tony, Paul, Harry, Franz, Eva, Florence, Veronica, and Rose Ann.
Frank Scholz was the son of Anthony and Anna (Ohlrich) Scholz. Emma (Engel) Scholz was the daughter of John and Wilhemina (Ernst) Engel.
Peter Hiller was the son of Jacob and Anna (Reisdorff) Hiller. Rose (Hilger) Hiller was the daughter of Henry and Anna (Victor) Hilger.
Alfred began working at Famers Coop Grain Co. in the fall of 1959 and became manager of the firm after the death of Raymond Kimble in 1962. At the time of this writing, he has been manager 18 years. Both Alfred and Rita Hiller Hanus have lived in or around Bellwood all their lives.




MRS. IDA HAYEK

Among the many people calling Bellwood home, although living away, is Mrs. Ida (Jacob) Hayek of Los Angeles, California. This spry "young" lady of 96 still flies back for yearly visits to the farm south of town, where she was born on August 25, 1883. She inherited the farm from her father, the late Carl Jacob in 1928, and loves to talk about "way back when". From 1910, until mid 1912, Mr. and Mrs. Anton Hayek lived abroad. Upon their return to the States, they purchased a bakery and confectionery store in Bellwood. This, they operated until 1924, when they moved to Omaha and opened a confectionery there. The Hayeks moved to Los Angeles in 1937, after their three daughters, Gertrude, Eva and Rose received their education in Nebraska. Until a few years ago, Mrs. Hayek worked as a housekeeper and baby sitter for several families in the Hollywood Hills area. She gave up her jobs to become housekeeper for her teenage granddaughters, when their mother died. She has no drivers license so she depends on public transportation to get her where she wants to go in the greater Los Angeles area. Until the racial upheaval began several years ago, she used to attend Saturday night dances at the Palladium and, according to her family, didn't sit out too many numbers. Her seventy-fifth birthday was spent touring the Hawaiian Islands, but her greatest delight, however, is the annual trip to the little town of Bellwood, where she can get outdoors and wander to her heart's content.





MR. and MRS. HARRY HILLER

Harry Hiller was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Hiller, born on the third of February, 1906, at Bellwood. He married Edna Peck, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Peck, on August 25, 1936. To this union were born four children. Donald Edward was born on September 21,1937. He married Linda Sorensen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Sorensen of Bellwood, on November 23, 1960 and they have two children, Ann Marie and John Paul and live in Seattle, Washington.
James Peter was born April 21, 1840, and was married to Edna Mae Berniklau, daughter of Mrs. Antoinette Berniklau of Seward, on September 15, 1962. Four sons were born to them, Bruce James, Brian Joseph, Bradley Paul and Bret Thomas. They make their home in Seward, Nebraska.
Richard Alfred was born on July 28, 1942, and was married to Patricia Platz, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Perry Platz of David City, on October 2, 1965. Their children are Jeffrey Richard, Steven Paul and twins, Susan Marie and David James. They live in Tucson, Arizona.
Barbara Jeanne was born on May 29, 1945 and was married to Ronald Trofholz, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Trofholz of Bellwood, on September 8, 1962. They have two children, Mark Edward and Christine Marie. The family lives in Bellwood.
Harry Hiller was a farmer and rented the Ira Williams farm, one and one half miles east of Bellwood, where he and his wife lived during their married life. He passed away in 1946 when only forty years of age. Mrs. Hiller and the four children then moved to Bellwood where she raised the family.





MR. and MRS. PETER HILLER

Peter Hiller was born December 17, 1882 at Bellwood, Nebr. Rose Huger Hiller was born September 9, 1885. They were married November 23, 1906. To this union were born eleven children: Harry, Eva, Florence, Francis, Edward, Mary, Veronica, Anthony, Chris, Paul and Rose Ann. Harry married Edna Peck in 1936. Four children were born to this union: Donald, James, Richard and Barbara. Harry passed away in 1958 at the age of 40. Eva married Paul Meysenburg in 1929. To them were born three sons: Gerald, John and Norbert. Paul passed away in 1978 at the age of 73. Florence married Walter Demuth in 1937. Three children were born to this union: Michael, Rose Mary, and Judith. Walter passed away in 1961 at the age of 56. Francis married Florence Mlnarik in 1945. They are the parents of five children: Katherine, Karen, John, Susan and Diane. Edward married Charlotte Kirchner in 1939. Six children were born to this union: Theresa, Thomas, Mary Jane, Carol, Gerald and Patricia. Edward passed away in 1974 at the age of 59. Mary married Marlin Scholz in 1938. They are the parents of six children: Rita, Frances, Joseph, Patricia, Kenneth and Gregory. Veronica married Robert Becker in 1941. They are the parents of four children: James, Robert, William and Mary Ellen. Anthony married Bette Michael in 1947. Nine children were born to this union: Connie, Michael, Kathryn, Jeanne, Peter, Beth, Margaret, Lori and Janet. Chris married Lois Treadway in 1946. They are the parents of three children: Linda, Steven and Daniel. Paul married Lila Selzer in 1946 Five children were born to this union: Pamela, Paula, Patricia, Timothy and Penny. Paul passed away in 1962 at the age of 38. Rose Ann married Roben Moran in 1947. They are the parents of eight children, Patrick, Margaret, Steven, Michael, James, Timothy, Jeffrey and Jeanne.
Peter Hiller was the son of Jacob and Anna (Reisdorf) Hiller. He was the brother of William, Margaret (Sister Monica), John, Joseph. Nicolas, Anna, Jacob and Mary (Sister Aloysia). Jacob was born July 25, 1844. He came to this country from Austria with his parents. Anna was born October 23. 1850. Jacob and Anna came to Bellwood, Nebr., from Chicago where William, their oldest child, was born. In 1893 they bought the farm east of Bellwood. In March, 1906, they moved to Hebron, Nebraska. Peter stayed in Bellwood to operate the farm. Jacob passed away December 28, 1923 at the age of 81. Anna passed away October 17, 1927, at the age of 76.
Rose was the daughter or Henry and Anna (Victor) Hilger. She was the sister of Joe, Leo, Victor, Harry, Albert, Julia and Theodore. Henry was born in 1855 and passed away in 1928. Anna was born in 1856 and passed away in 1928. Following Peter's death in 1932, at the age of 49. Rose remained on the farm to raise their family. Tony took over the family farm in 1947 following his marriage. Rose moved into Bellwood the following year. Rose passed away May 10 1964 at the age of 78. Tony purchased the farm in 1965 and at present it is still being operated by Tony and Bette Hiller.





MATHIAS HOSHOR

Mathias Hoshor came to Butler County with his young sons: Clarence, Ora, James, and William from Spring Bay, Illinois in 1890. They first lived southwest of Bellwood on a farm and the boys grew to manhood. James Hoshor married and lived in David City. William married Matilda Platte and moved to Montana. After a few years, they moved back to Nebraska where they operated a filling station and cafe just south of Columbus. Ora never married. After his father died he lived with Clarence and his family. When Clarence passed away, his son, John, moved to the farm and Ora lived with Johns family until his death. Ora was an outdoorsman. He loved hunting and fishing and spent a lot of his life at the river. He loved sports also and managed many Bellwood baseball teams in the Mid-State and Butler County leagues. He also worked many years for Dr. J. M. McNally.




MR. and MRS. CLARENCE HOSHOR

Clarence E. Hoshor married Anna Rose and they farmed first northwest of Bellwood until their deaths, Anna in 1954 and Clarence in 1956. Seven children were born to this union Corrine, Joe, Fern, Erma, Walter W., John P. and one child who died at birth. Corrine died at the age of 18 during the diphtheria epidemic. Joe died about age 8 from lock jaw, when Fern and Erma were toddlers. Walter W. and John P. are the only living children. They both went to Bellwood grade school and graduated from Bellwood High School Walter was on the basketball team when Bellwood was State Champions in 1934. They both farmed with their dad and Ora after high school. Walter then left the farm and went to work for the railroad. In 1942, he enlisted in the United States Naval Reserves in the Construction Battalion (Seahees). He spent three years overseas in the South Pacific and was one of the first to return after the war ended.
On January 29, 1945, Walter married Clarabelle Treadway in Oakland, California. Upon returning home after World War II, they settled in Bellwood and using his experience received in the service, he became a carpenter and contractor. He built the Farmers Coop Grain Co. office the Coop Service Center buildings and the lumber yard buildings. He has built several homes in the community and has done extensive repair and remodeling to others.
In 1947, Walter and his father-in-law formed the Bellwood Lumber Co. and built an office and the present lumber shed. They continued in business until 1961 when they sold out to the Farmers Coop Grain Co. Also in 1961, Walter an Clarabelle bought an acreage just east of the Catholic Church and built their home. Since then they have divided the land into lots and now there are six homes in this addition. The latest is the one built by Ray and Meraldean Hough. They moved into this home in the spring of 1980. Walter is now semi-retired.
Clara Belle has been active in several organizations in the community. She was charter member and first president of the American Legion Auxiliary which was organized and was first president of the Just Neighbors Extension Club which existed for 26 years. She is a member of Rebekah Lodge since 1947.
The Hoshors are members of the Bellwood United Methodist Church. They became the parents of their son, Keith, who became a member of their family at the age of 3 1/2 months. He graduated from David City High School and University of Nebraska and lives at Monroe. NE, where he is manager of a fertilizer plant.
John Hoshor, youngest son of Clarence and Anna Hoshor, married Orletha Hopkins and farmed with Clarence and Ora south of Bellwood until their deaths. They continued to farm until the McNally farm where they lived was sold. They were one of the few families that took their house along when they moved. The house was moved to an acreage along the river northwest of Bellwood and they moved into it again. John now works for Gerhold Sand and Gravel Co. John and Orletha are the parents of four children: Patricia (Lostroh) of David City, NE, Vicki (Loomis) of Grand Island, Ne, Bill who lives here in Bellwood, and Cindy at home. Bill and his wife, Cindy (Drozd) have two children: Colby and Jeremy. Both he and his wife work in plants at Columbus, NE.
All the men in the Hoshor family have been avid sportsmen. They have loved hunting and fishing. They have spent much of their leisure time on the banks of the Platte River. When they weren't there they were playing ball.





THE TALBOT HOSHOR FAMILY

Talbot Hoshor, Sr., farmer and stock-raiser in Spring Bay, Illinois, came to Bellwood with his second wife in 1891. He amassed considerable money and land and continued farming in this area until his death in 1911.
Talbot's son, Charley, and his family followed Talbot, Sr. to Bellwood and farmed east of town until 1919. Charley's older son Talbot, Jr., came to Bellwood in 1899, at the age of 16. In 1902, he married Cora Peck. At that time he took up painting and paper-hanging, learning the trade from his wife's stepfather. He then continued in this occupation until shortly before his death in 1964. Cora bore him six children, three of whom died in childhood. The remaining three made Bellwood their lifelong residence. Charley, named for his grandfather, married Laura Peters in 1930. Of this union two daughters, Cora Ann and Carol, were born. Charley passed away of heart disease in 1953.
Alfred married Erma Creathbaum in 1939. To them were born four children. Annahel, first-born, lives now in Tempe, Arizona, with daughter Penny, son Kelly and mother, Erma. Mary Margaret lives in Kansas and is the mother of two daughters and a son. Alfred, Jr. married Pat Smith of David City. They now live in Beaver Lake, near Plattsmouth, Nebraska, with adopted twin sons. David, the youngest son, also lives in Kansas. Alfred, Sr. was a day laborer and he worked in and around Bellwood until his death in 1975.
Margaret, Talbot Jr.'s daughter, lives in Bellwood since her retirement in 1972. Margaret attended Midland College and Kearney State Teachers College for a short time and got her B.S. degree from Columbia University in 1939, majoring in special education. She was a teacher of normal children for seven and one-half years, and a teacher of multi-handicapped children for thirty-eight years. She taught in Redington, Nebraska, at Watertown, Massachusetts, at the Nebraska School for the Blind in Nebraska City, and in New York City. She is now teacher and companion to deaf-blind Helen Siefert.


Return to Bellwood Main page
Return to Butler County Main page


1998, Dawn Carpenter
Produced for NEGenWeb by Carolyn Wilkerson