Abie, a station on the F.E. & M.V.R.R., in the northeastern part of Butler County, 12 miles from David City, the county seat. The only church organization is the Catholic. Poplulation, 75. Peak population was in 1910 of 210 inhabitants. The Post office was established Nov. 22, 1878. Named in honor of Abigail Stevens, first postmistress, whose husband applied for a post office and named it for his wife. Postal authorities changed the spelling to Abie.
Appleton Post office established June 23, 1874; discontinued March 30, 1880. Origin of name not ascertained. There is also an Appleton, Wisconsin.
Bellwood is a town of 300 inhabitants in the northwestern part of Butler county, and on the A. & N. division of the B.& M.R.R., nine miles from David City, the county seat. The surrounding country is a good one, grain, cattle and vegetables being produced in abundance. The Platte Valley Bank is the financial institution of the town. The Gazette is a wide awake and progressive journal. The churches are the Methodist and the Baptist. the societies are I.O.G.T., A.O.U.W. and G.A.R. Peak population was in 1940 with 434 inhabitants. Post office named changed from Bell Dec. 30, 1887. Named by Mrs. Mary Finch in honor of Jesse D. Bell, town founder.
Brainard is situated in the eastern part of Butler county, 10 miles from David City, the county seat. It has a population of 350, and is located on the line of the O. & R.V. division of the U.P. Ry. The country surrounding it is excellent for the production of grain and the raising of live stock, as well as for dairy purposes, thus giving employment to the elevators and other business operations of the town. Financial facilities are provided by the Bank of Brainard, with a capital of $25,000. A new school house, costing $3,500, has been provided for the education of the young. The churches are the Christian, Methodist and Bohemian Catholic. The Brainard Eagle is the poplular journal of the locality. Peak population was in 1920 with 468 inhabitants. Post office established Oct. 16, 1877. Union Pacific Railroad named town for David Brainard, missionary to the Indians.
Bruno is in the eastern part of Butler county, ten miles from David City, the judicial seat of the county, has about 150 inhabitants. It is on the line of the F.E. & M.V.R.R. A mill, a hotel, a bank, several general merchandise and other kinds of stores and industries, are to be found in operation. The Bruno State Bank has recently been organized with a capital of $25,000. Peak population was between 1910 and 1920 with 468 inhabitants. Post office established April 7, 1888. Town named for Brno (now in Czech Republic), from which early settlers came. Railroad later changed Brno to Bruno, which was more easily pronounced.
Butler Center Post office estalbished Jan. 15, 1871; moved to Garrison Sept. 23, 1880. Founded by S. L. Russell and S. J. Oliver, the town was center of commerce until the selection of David City as the county seat. With the coming of the railroad to Garrison, it lost its identity.
David city is the county seat of Butler county and has about 2,000 inhabitants and ranks as a city of the second class. It is located on the Valparaiso and Stromsburg branch of the U.P. Ry. Many improvements were made during the past year; among them the opera house, costing $15,000, court house $50,000, M.E. church $10,000, Lutheran church $2,500, electric light plant $11,000, water works $25,000, Gates & Son $43,000, B.O. Parker $42,000, Geo. Schweser $10,000, A. Myatt $35,000. Since the cyclone in 1887, the total value of improvements amount to about $400,000. The city is lighted by electricity and has a good system of water works. There are three National banks - the Central Nebraska, City and First, with an aggregate capital of $200,000. Three grain elevators, roller mills, machine shop, two brick yards, a lumber yard and other industries give employment to quite a number of persons. The Hotel Perkins and several other hotels give travelers a welcome and comfortable quarters. The newspaper press is well represented in the David City Tribune, Betzer and Cramer publishers, and the Butler County Press, published by C.D. Casper & Co. Peak population was in 1990, 2,522. Post office name changed from Ollie Aug. 4, 1873. County seat town named in honor of a Mrs. Miles (nee David), who deeded a tract of land for the townsite. Another source indicated the town was named for David Butler, first Nebraska governor. A third source says named for a Mr. Davids, relative of William Miles, who was patron and part owner of the site. The "s" was dropped for convenience. David City won county seat from Savannah in 1873.
Dwight, a station on the F.E. & M.V.R.R. in the southeastern part of Bulter county, 19 miles from David City, the county seat. Population, 30. Peak population was in 1930, 323. Post office name changed from Lone Star Aug. 22, 1884. Named with the coming of the railroad for Dwight, Illinois, where many residents formerly lived. Postmaster Henry Glover was instrumental in securing the name Dwight for the town.
[Errata: Edholm got published in the Colfax Co. chapter of the Gazetteer, "EDHOLM, a side track in Colfax county, on the B. & M. R. R., four miles from Schuyler, the county seat.
Perkys locates Edholm in Butler county: Post office established April 22, 1882 .... discontinued 1933 .... origin of name not known.]
Garrison, a station on the B. & M. R.R., in the central part of Butler county, eight miles south of David City. Population, 175, peak population was in 1900, 250. Post office established Sept. 23, 1880; made a rural station of David City in 1966. Town named in honor of Wiliam Lloyd Garrison, leader of the anti-slavery movement prior to the Civil War, by a Mr. Sarent, an admirer of Garrison from Massachusetts.
Former locality two miles from Butler Center, named for Peter Hennigan, early settler. While never a post office, it once vied for Butler County seat.
Linwood is located at the junction of the Hastings and the Superior lines of the F.E. & M.V. R.R., on the banks of Skull creek, in the northeastern part of Butler County. The railroad has a roundhouse and a coaling station here. There are two churches, the Methodist and Congregational. The school house is a fine building that cost $5,000. The Farmers & Merchants Bank has a capital of $10,500. There are two hotels. Population, 300, peak population was in 1910, 329. Post office name changed from Skull Creek April 18, 1874. Named for the linden or basswood trees, rare in Nebraska, but growing in this area. Town platted by Waverly Town Site Company.
Millerton, a small station in the central part of Butler county, on the F.E. & M.V.R.R., six miles west of David City, the county seat. Population, 25, peak population was in 1910, 28. Post office established March 27, 1888; discontinued 1935. Former village named in honor of William Miller, early settler and land owner.
Peak population was in 1900, 25. Post office established Oct. 9, 1888; discontinued Nov. 7, 1895. Mail served from Linwood. Former town and present community named in honor of Fymburk, town in what is now Czech Republic. Name changed to accommodate English pronunciation.
Octavia is a village in the northeastern part of Bulter county, on the F.E. & M. V.R.R., nine miles from David City, the judicial seat of the county. Population about 75. The town is well located and has fine prospects of becoming an important place. During the past year the shipments amounted to 600 carloads of grain and 60 carloads of live stock. The Methodist and Baptist churches hold services here. Peak population was in 1910, 200. Post office established Jan. 27, 1888. Named in honor of Octavia Speltz, wife of Allen Speltz, a prominent farmer. Town platted by pioneer Town site Company.
Rising City is in the western part of Butler County, seven miles from David City, the county seat, is located on the O.&R.V. branch of the U.P. Ry., and has about 750 inhabitants. The neighboring country is rich in its soil, and farm products are abundant. One thousand carloads of grain, 300 of potatoes, 15 of flax and 150 of live stock were shipped from here during the last year. Banking facilities and hotel accommodations are ample. The churches and societies are well represented. Of the former are the Congregational, Methodist, Christian and Lutheran. Peak population 1880, 775. Post office named changed from Summit Oct. 14, 1878. Named in honor of two brothers, A. W. and S. W. Rising, who owned the townsite.
Peak population in 1880, 25. Post office established Jan. 17, 1870; discontinued March 21, 1882. Former county seat located on the old Gardner's Ranch. Town may have been named for cities in Georgia, Missouri, or Tennessee. Savannah lost county seat to David City in 1873.
Post office established April 20, 1868; name changed to Linwood April 18, 1874. This town played an important part in the westward immigration. Named for the numerous Pawnee and/or buffalo skulls found along its creek bed.
Post office established Dec. 1, 1871; name changed to Rising City Oct. 14, 1878. Named for Summit, Wisconsin, by C.C. Cobb, who established a mercantile business here. Post office located within the store.
Surprise, a station on the F.E. & M.V. R.R. in the southwestern part of Butler county, 14 miles from David City, the county seat. Population 250. The place was started in 1887. A flour mill is in operation here which has a capacity of 50 barrels per day. A bank, a hotel and Methodist, Baptist and Lutheran churches, a Masonic lodge and the W.C.T.U. tend to promote the business, religious and social welfare of the community. Peak population 1900, 348. Post office established Feb. 28, 1883. So named because settlers were surprised by the good quality of the land.
Ulysses, a lively town of 1,200 inhabitants is located in the southeastern part of Butler county, on the Blue river, and in one of the finest farming countries one would wish to look at. The corn crop averaged 65 bushels per acre last year. It is on the A. & N. Division of the B. & M. R.R., 14 miles from David City, the county seat. Several costly buildings have been erected recently, Diers Bros opera house block costing $8,600, school house costing $12,000, large flouring mill, several handsome private dwellings and two large elevators. The First Bank of Ulysses G.W. Lord pres, II. C. Gilbert vice-pres, U.C. Guss cashier, with an authorized capital of $50,000, occupy a fine stone structure, costing $8,000. Citizens Bank, paid up capital, $25,000, F.W. Leonhardt pres, J.S. Leonhardt vice-pres, Geo Dobson cashier. These monied institutions exerts a vital influence upon the trade, reputation and growth of Ulysses, the cashiers are experts in all the departments of banking, becomingly conservative, always accommodating, and popular with all who come in contact with them. Every line of mercantile business is represented, mostly carrying a heavy stock, good hotels, and its schools are second to none in the state, are graded with the best of teachers. The churches are the Congregational Christian, and the Methodist. The press is represented by the Dispatch and Argus which are well managed, and in keeping with the growth of the city. Several secret societies having a long list of members, are maintained. Ulysses is bound in a short time to be a city of several thousands. Peak population 1880, 700. Post office established Oct. 5, 1869. Commemorates Ulysses S. Grant, president of the United States and Union Army commander during the Civil War.
Return to Butler Co. Homepage
© 1999, by Sue Baker
Produced for Butler Co. NEGenWeb
[ Butler Co. NEGenWeb Home Page ]
©Copyright Butler Co. NEGenWEB, All rights reserved.