negenbnr.gif (10669 bytes)

Schools of Butler Co. NE


District Menu
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99
Appleton, Bellwood, David City, Garrison, Leader, Linwood, Octavia, Surprise, Ulysses, Unknown, Modern Games
[Scroll also, still working on it]
Modern school information: Nebraska

Additional information is welcome: Contact us
updated 22 Oct 2008


Early School History

Nebr & Midwest Genealogical Record gives this footnote which bears on our topic "... (b) Ada Vanderkalk taught the first school in Butler Co.  It was a subscription school held in a log building, built on Sec 4, Town 16, Range 3 [Bone Creek Twp.] in 1867. The first meeting of the County Commissioners was also held in this building. (Johnson. Harrison, History of Nebraska, pp. 221-2.)
However, Cutler states that Mrs. Frances G. Crowley taught a school at her home in Oak Creek Pct. in the winter of 1865-6. (History of Nebr, p. 449, Andreas Pub.)


Part 1 Butler Co.: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~neresour/andreas/butler/butler-p1.html

"In the winter of 1865-66, a [Butler Co.] school was opened at the house of J. Crowley, with Mrs. Frances G. Crowley as teacher. In the fall of 1867, a sod schoolhouse was erected on Section 23, in which, in the fall of 1869, Rev. George Worley preached the first sermon ever listened to in the settlement."

Part 2 Butler Co. 1867: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~neresour/andreas/butler/butler-p2.html#school

"The first public building of any description was erected in the summer of 1867, on Section 4, Township 16, Range 3 east [Bone Creek Twp]. The material used in the construction was small, unhewn logs, the roof, made in the popular style of the times, was poles covered with prairie sod, its dimensions about 10x12. In this unpretending structure the first school was taught, Miss Ada Vanderkok, now Mrs. J. V. Wood, being teacher, and the juvenile members of the families of D. R. Gardner, James Blair, William Butler, James Green and Mrs. Solomon Garfield, the pupils. It was a subscription school, and the wages were set at $20 per month. ...."

"In 1869, the present [1882] school system was inaugurated, and under the supervision of County Clerk Hubbel Pepper, Superintendent of Public Instruction (ex-officio), nine school districts were organized. At the first enumeration it was found that there were but 153 of school age in the county. In 1870, the pupilage had increased to 204, and during this year the first apportionment of the State School Fund was made, Butler County receiving as her share $1,109.50. The following statistics will show the number of school age, number of school districts and yearly apportionment: ...."

"By the year of 1876... .... Two of the earlist school districts in Butler County had already been organized, District 11 in Savannah Township and District 13 in Alexis Township. A small one room school house had been built by District 13 on the mid-point of the south side of section 23 in Alexis Township. This location was two miles west of the present town of Bellwood on the north side of today's highway 64. This seemed like a suitable and convenient location, and arrangements were made with the school board to hold Sunday worship services in the schoolhouse. In time, this school would be known as the Gerard School."
Ref: Methodist Church Record Book held by Dawn Carpenter

Part 3 David City Schools: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~neresour/andreas/butler/butler-p3.html#dschools

Part 4 David City Schools:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~neresour/andreas/butler/butler-p4.html

"RILEY V. BEACH, Principal of David City Graded School and ex-County Superintendent of Public Schools. Came to Nebraska in the fall of 1870, and settled on homestead on Section 20, in Union Precinct, and was the first school teacher in that town. Was elected County Superintendent in the fall of 1879, and is now [1882] local preacher for the M. E. Church at David City."

1880s
"Mr. [Michael C.] Delaney for the position of county superintendent, and to this place he was nominated and elected. His term of office covered four years and in that time sixty-eight school districts were organized. It was an immense work, but it was thoroughly and systematically done."
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ne/topic/resources/OLLibrary/mbrcd/pages/mbrd0251.htm#mcdelaney

Part 5 Ulysses schools: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~neresour/andreas/butler/butler-p5.html#uschools

1869 District 5, Ulysses was organized.
"Ulysses possesses a school building erected in 1877 at a cost of $3,000, well furnished with patent desks and all necessary apparatus. It is now [1882] in the charge of Prof. V. E. Reese, and has a full attendance of pupils."

Part 7 Bellwood Schools: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~neresour/andreas/butler/butler-p7.html#bell

"It has an excellent school building, recently erected. The school is in charge of Miss Mollie Terry, and numbers ninety-two pupils, with a good average attendance. The first school district organized in the precinct (No. 4) was in 1871, but the first officers and teachers the writer is unable to learn."

References:

  • School District map: Butler Co. Plat Book of 1906
  • Cutler, "Butler Co.," History of Nebraska. Andreas Publishing Co., 1882.
  • Johnson. History of Nebraska.
  • Nebr. & Midwest Genealogy Record
  • Methodist Church Record Book
  • Land Atlas of Butler Co., Brown-Scoville Publishing Co. 1906.

Top


Schools Districts


District 1

schoolhse.jpg (56001 bytes)

School District No. 1 located in Bone Creek Twp, Section 2.

"Ada Vanderkalk taught the first school in Butler Co.   It was a subscription school held in a log building, built on Sec 4, Town 16, Range 3 in 1867" cf. Johnson's history book & Nebr. & Midwest Genealogy Record.

"The first public building of any description was erected in the summer of 1867, on Section 4, Township 16, Range 3 east. The material used in the construction was small, unhewn logs, the roof, made in the popular style of the times, was poles covered with prairie sod, its dimensions about 10x12. In this unpretending structure the first school was taught, Miss Ada Vanderkok, now Mrs. J. V. Wood, being teacher, and the juvenile members of the families of D. R. Gardner, James Blair, William Butler, James Green and Mrs. Solomon Garfield, the pupils. It was a subscription school, and the wages were set at $20 per month." cf. Andreas history of Nebr. Butler Co. part 2.

  • Butler County, School Dist. #1 Census, 1886, pp 29-30 scroll down for those below

  • Butler County, School Dist. #1 Census,1879, pp 30-31

  • Butler County, Petition Dist. # 1, Change of Boundary, 1891, pg 31
    It appears  District 17 was created from part of District 1

  • Butler County, School Dist. # 1, Census, 1883, pp 31-32

  • Butler County, School Census, Dist, # 1, 1893, 1897, pg 32

1885-1895 District No. 1 teachers: Miss Turner, Miss Betus, Ed Van Fleet, George Colbank, William Fairbanks, and Miss Anna Hurt who married Jim Hutchinson. These teachers would have taught about 1885 to about 1895. Submitted by Gail Holdeman

Top


District 2

School No. 2 located in Platte Twp., Section 26, Linwood.
See District 2 1886, 1887?, 1893 School Census

Top


District 3

School No. 3 located in Bone Creek Twp., in SE corner of Section 5, one mile south, 3 miles west of Edholm.  School No. 3 was in Section 5 by 1906.  This might be  "accretion" land near the river depending on its elevation and latitude.

In 2005, District 3, Garfield school (K-8) was located 9.1 miles east of Bellwood to the northwest of Octavia, at 4411 "O" Road.

Top


District 4 & Bellwood Schools

School No. 4 located in Read Twp., east edge of Section 7, 2 miles west, .25 mile north of Surprise.

"District No. 4 was organized in 1871, first officers and teachers are unknown.  In 1882, Miss Mollie Terry had ninety-two pupils, with a good average attendance, in the newly erected excellent school building."

Bellwood | 1st Grade 1911 | Class of 1921 |

Top


District 5 & Ulysses High School

| Graduation List 1889-1925 | 1926-1960 | Alumni Assoc. |

     "Alongside the Big Blue River in southern Butler County, early settlers organized old School District 5 in 1869...." as a nine square mile district.  Its first school board officers were Summer Darnell, Director; Dr. S. T. Thrapp, Moderator; J. M. Palmer, Treasurer.  The home of Dr. Thrapp was the site of the first "three-month school" and its teacher was J. M. Wilkinson.  The next year's "three month session" was taught by Mr. Metcalf.
     A frame school was built at Second and Main Streets in 1871 at a cost of $600.00 for the 18 x 24 foot building.  It was used through 1877.
     The next larger school was built at Fourth Street, a block north of Main Street [C Street], and cost $3000.00 [4th & D Streets west of tracks].   It was "well furnished with patent desks and all necessary apparatus. It is now [1882] in the charge of Prof. V. E. Reese, and has a full attendance of pupils."
     In 1888-89, a brick building was erected and "... produced its first graduating class: Harry Lord, Charles Stroman, Fred Larsen and Grace Ward (Barrow)."  The superintendent was Mr. Prince who was followed by Chester Aldrich who married Sylvia Stroman.  Ulysses and Ashland had the only two accredited high schools in the state at this time.
     In 1892, the Alumni Association held a banquet including "finest cuisine and music."
     In 1907, Ray Lenfest was the sole graduate and became the high school's smallest graduating class unless you count those early years before 1889.
     Lightning struck the school, August 1910, and the resulting fire destroyed the old school.

UlyssesPicnic.jpg (67221 bytes)

Circa 1910 photo (postcard back blank) from trunk of Nettie Andrew Moore.  Most unidentified; 1., 2. Harry Canedy (bro. #9), 3., 4., 5., 6., 7. Elsie Andrew Archer (Harry) Canedy--UHS Class of 1908, 8., 9. Ivan Canedy (bro. #2), 10. Nettie Andrew Moore--UHS Class of 1914, 11., 12, ... 24, 25. (view unnumbered photo)
Submitted by Jonnie Andrew [Note: Can you identify anyone?  Car or buggy top visible. Is that a ball glove on the left hand of female #1?]

     In 1912 a replacement school was built of brick.  This school was expanded, in 1936, as a Work Project Administration (WPA) effort to add the auditorium, stage, kitchen and dressing rooms.
     1936 had the largest high school graduating class with 23 receiving diplomas.

ulysses-hs.jpg (118367 bytes)
Photo courtesy of Ulysses Alumni Association

     The high school closed in 1960 but the elementary school continued until 1982 when it was closed.  Following these school closings, Ulysses students were bussed to Seward, NE.
     About 1983, the high school building was sold to Western Irrigation, Inc. to become their regional office building.  The Auditorium building became the Ullysses Recreation Center
     In 1990, 414 people attended the reunion from 17 states.
     There were 871 students who received diplomas from Ulysses High School over the years.
Ref: Ullysses Centennial Book, 1967, pg 52.
Ref: [Grace Hoeft]. "Ullysses High School 1885-1960," Pages of History, 1994, pg 96.
Ref: Wm Cutler. "Butler County," History of Nebraska, 1882.
Ref: Ulysses High School Alumni Association.
Ref: Jonnie Andrew (group photo)

Top


District 6

School No. 6 location in Oak Creek Twp., middle of south edge of Section 23, 2 miles north of Loma, NE and on the east side of a creek and angled road.

"Andreas (p. 449) states that Mrs. Frances G. Crowley taught a school at her home in Oak Creek Pct. in the winter of 1865-6." cf. Nebr & Midwest Genealogy Record footnote

"In the winter of 1865-66, a [Butler Co.] school was opened at the house of J. Crowley, with Mrs. Frances G. Crowley as teacher. In the fall of 1867, a sod schoolhouse was erected on Section 23, in which, in the fall of 1869, Rev. George Worley preached the first sermon ever listened to in the settlement." cf. Part 1 of Andreas

Top


District 7

Dist. No. 7 located in Alexis Twp., in NE corner of Section 13 or possibly across the road in Savannah Twp., in NW corner of Section 18.

Top


District 8

School No. 8 located in Oak Creek Twp., NW portion of Section 8.   Approximately 1.5 m. north of Brainard.

Top


District 9

School No. 9 located in Savannah Twp., in Section 11, estimated to be SW 1/4, NE 1/4, NE 1/4 S-11, T-_N, R-2E on the north side of Clear Creek, approximately 2 m. N, 0.75 m. E of Bellwood.

1901-1911 Teacher's and pupil's names
Contributed by Yvonne Hollenbeck (geetwo@gwtc.net)

Top


District 10

School District No. 10 located in Platte Twp., near middle of Section 32, on the north side of the road  between Linwood (3.3 miles SW of Linwood) and Edholm towns.

Top


District 11

District 11 in Savannah Township created before 1876, near middle of south edge of Section 28.  One mile south, 1.5 miles east of Bellwood

Top


District 12

 

Top


District 13

District 13, in Alexis Township created before 1876. [see above statement]

School No. 13 located in Alexis Twp., middle of south edge of Section 26, 3.5 miles SW of Bellwood (mile south of SH-64).

Jennie (Dougherty) Carpenter (b. Jan. 16, 1853 - d. Nov. 5. 1905), School teacher, District 13, Alexis Township.  submitted by Dawn Carpenter

Note: It is Dawn Carpenter's understanding that this building was the first home of the Gerard family. That it was sold to the county for a school. Also the congregation that met in the building from 1876 to 1881 later became part of the Methodist Conference. However, she could not  find her source at the moment. (3/2000).

Top


District 14


Written by June Leota (Rogers) Wrede - teacher in the Dist 14 country school 1925-1930.
submitted by Donna L. Wrede Ellis 

Top


District 15

School No. 15 located in Bone Creek Twp., in SW corner of Section 20, 3 miles west, 1 mile south of Octavia.

Top


District 16

School No. 16 located in Ulysses Twp., SE corner of  Section 3, three miles north, 1 mile east of Ulysses.

Top


St. Mary Catholic School, Bellwood

St. Mary Catholic School

St. Mary Catholic School adjacent to the Church and Rectory near Bellwood, NE.
Submitted by Gail Holdeman.

Top


District 17 Octavia

Dist. No 17 boundary was changed by shifting some part of Dist. No. 1 in Oct, 1891,  there was a petition to "To detach the W1/2 of the SE1/4 of Sec. #10 T#16 N of R#3 East of the 6th P.M. from school Dist. #1 Butler County, Nebraska and attach the same to school District #17 of the same county and state."

school08.jpg (86774 bytes)

Gail Holdeman's mother had this photo of the Octavia School Building taken May 22, 1908. Gail's great grandfather, Samuel Mohler, was a janitor in the school for many years as a second job to his farming.

Gail's great aunt, Emma Parnell, was a school teacher in the Edholm & Octavia area. She later married Benjamin Wiggiens.  Submitted by Gail Holdeman.

school19.jpg (208408 bytes)

Octavia School, District 17, possibly built in 1924
Photo taken July 4, 1999 by La Rae Lymer
submitted by Gail Holdeman

Top


District 18

School No. 18 located in  Center Twp.

Top


District 19

School No. 19 located in Franklin Twp., NW corner of Section 12, 4 miles east, 2.75 miles north of David City.  May be the same as Appleton School.

Top


District 20

School No. located in  Twp., of Section .

Top


District 24

West Olive School No. 24 located in Olive Twp., middle of west edge of Section 29, 4 miles W, .5 miles south of David City.

Top


District 25

School No. 25 located in Linwood Twp., middle of east edge of Section 27, just SE of Abie.

Top


District 26

East Olive School No. 26 located in Olive Twp., middle of east edge of Section 27, one mile south, 2 miles west and a little north of David City.

Top


District 27

School No. 27 located in Read Twp., east edge of Section 25, 2.5 miles east, 2.75 miles south of Surprise.

Top


District 28

School No. 28 located in Skull Creek Twp., middle of east edge of Section 26, two miles east, 2.5 miles south of Bruno.

Top


District 29

School No. 29 located in Oak Creek Twp., NE corner of Section 30, 1.5 miles south of Brainard.

Top


District 30

School No. 30 located in Summit Twp., middle of north edge of Section 35, 2.5 mile north, .5 mile east of Rising City.

Top


District 31

district31.jpg (13065 bytes)

School No. 31 located in Ulysses Twp., SE corner of Section 9, two miles north, 1 mile west of Ulysses.

Grace M. Hoeft wrote, "Leader School, District # 31, in Butler County, Nebraska was built in
1879.  Lumber as brought by oxen team from Nebraska City, Nebraska, and built for a cost of $900.00.  This building stands today (9-23-2000) as the center part of the barn on the farm across the road, owned by Loran and Grace (White) Hoeft. (NW 1/4, NW 1/4, S16-T13-R2, County Road I-25, Butler Co., Nebraska.

Another modern school house, with indoor toilets, was built in the year 1930.  Its PTA was organized in 1931 and celebrated it's 25th anniversary, in 1956, with an open house.  That organization continued for years following that.  When the school was closed, it sold for $1300 to Ted and Carolyn Timoney in 1979.  They moved it one mile west, and 1 south, added on to it, and made a very lovely home from it.   From the west end of Ulysses, it was originally located 2 1/4 miles north.

The first teacher was Miss Fannie Laycock.  The first Board members were Michael Kirshner, Chas. Hascue, and Joshua Worley.  Some teachers that I can recall were: Mabel Anderson, Sena Aden, Alice Jensen, Mary Fox, Betty Glock, Helen Gravel, Wilma Kessler, Jean Onnen, Velma Glantz, Mrs. Herman Backhus, Mathilda Wilke, and Coleta Frede and many others."

Grace M. Hoeft (graciemarie@clarks.net); Bart Ruth scanned the school photo

Top


District 32

http://www.ukans.edu/carrie/kancoll/andreas_ne/butler/butler-p6.html
Mrs. Albert W. Rising née "... Miss Nellie Wright, ... taught the first district school, in District No. 32, Butler County, in a sod schoolhouse, which was on Section 11. ...."

Top


District 33 Pleasant Hill School

School No. 33 located 4 miles east and a little north of Rising City, west of Pleasant Hill Cemetery, in the NE 1/4, NW 1/4, Sec. 8, Union Twp.  The Pleasant Hill School land was donated by Nahum and Mira Howe, who were pioneers in rural Butler County, according to Grace White Hoeft.

Top


District 34

School No. 34 located in Olive Twp., on south edge of Section 8, 3 miles north, 4.75 miles west of David City

"MRS. ANNA E. Bruce, formerly proprietress of the Bellon House at Rising, is widow of W. J. Bruce, who died in 1868, from disease contracted while serving as soldier in late war of the rebellion, leaving her in rather poor circumstances. The year 1868, she came to Nebraska with her only child, Miss Louie, took up a homestead in Seward County on Section 18, Town 12, Range 3 east. Here she resided, holding her claim for five years, making such improvements as was necessary, and engaged at teaching school, sewing, etc. To make her way through the world with the rest of old settlers, she taught the first school at her own house in District No. 34 of the county, and that was a sod house. After the expiration of years, she accumulated some means, then moved to Seward and built a residence to rent, she then rented the hotel known as the Farmers' Home; this she kept until 1879, when she came to Rising, and built the Bellon House, which was burned to the ground on the morning of March 5, 1882, with a loss of $3,000. Insurance amounted to $1,500. She was born in Summit, Schoharie Co., N. Y., December 10, 1841."

Note: It appears that Anna E. Bruce taught in District 34 of Butler Co. NE, but the references to Seward Co., to the south, may have us confused.

Top


District 35

School located ? miles of .

Top


District 36

School located in Alexis Twp., middle of south edge of Section 29.

Top


District 37

School No. 37 located Skull Creek Twp., middle of east edge of Section 30, two miles west, 2.5 miles south of Bruno.

Top


District 38

School No. 38 located in Linwood Twp., NE portion of Section 11, about 1 mile NE of Nimburg.

Top


District 39

School No. 39 located in Linwood Twp., middle of east edge of Section 30, 3 miles west of Abie.

1913--1914 Tillie Hasik, Teacher. See her class list.

Top


District ?

Mary Ann (Hales) Carpenter (b. Nov. 1854 - d. Oct. 20, 1931) School teacher, District Unknown, she lived Summit Township.  submitted by Dawn Carpenter

Top


District 40

School No. 40 located in Read Twp., north edge of Section 32, 3.5 miles south, 1.75 miles west of Surprise.

Top


District 41

School No 41 located in Alexis Twp., middle of south edge of Section 8.

Top


District 42

Grandview School, District No. 42 located in Franklin Twp., in SE corner of Section 22, 3 miles east of David City.

Agnes Phillips nee Keefe taught at District 42, she signed a contract on June 9th, 1919 to teach there until July-1920. That contract was written in pencil. It was signed by a Fred W Bxxxx - Director, W C Yindrick - Moderator, and Joseph Jaxxxk - Treasurer. It was added into the contract that the class room had to be warm by 8:30am.  The second contract was signed on July 12, 1921 and expired on July 1922. It was also signed by B J Boothtrup (?) - Director and Frank Helgolt (Helgott?) - Moderator.
submitted by Patricia Keenan

Top


District 43

School located ? miles of .

Top


District 44

School No. 44 located in Olive Twp., middle of west edge of Section 12, one mile west, 2.75 miles north of David City.

Top


District 45

School No. 45 located in Read Twp., west edge of Section 26, 2.5 miles south, 1 mile east of Surprise.

Top


District 46

School No. 46 located Skull Creek Twp., northeast corner of Section 11, one mile north, 2 miles east of Bruno.

Top


District 50

School No. 50 located in Summit Twp., south edge of Section 29, 2.5 miles north, 3.75 miles west of Rising City.

Top


District 51

School No. 51 located in Summit Twp., middle of south edge of Section 5, 6.5 miles north, 2.5 miles west of Rising City.

Top


District

School No. located in  Twp., of Section .

Top


District 53

School No. 53 located in Linwood Twp., middle of north edge of Section 17, 3 miles west of Nimburg.

Top


District 54

School No. 54 located Skull Creek Twp, middle of west edge of Section 8, two miles west, .5 mile north of Bruno.

Top


District 55

School No. 55 located Richardson Twp., southeast corner of Section 27, 1.5 miles south, 3.5 miles east of Dwight.

Top


District 57

School No. 57 located in Bone Creek Twp., south edge of Section 34.

Top


District 58?

School No. 58 located ??

Top


District 59

School No. 59 located in Summit Twp., middle of north edge of Section 11, 3 miles south, 2.5 miles west of Bellwood.

Top


District ?

School located ? miles of .

Top


District ?

School located ? miles of .

Top


District ?

Appleton School located 0.5 mile north, 4.5 miles west of Bruno in northeast corner of Franklin Township.

Top


District ?

LaCross School located 1.5 miles north of Brainard on SH-92.

Top


District ?

Elmwood School located on CR-O between CR-30 and CR-31.

Top


District ?

St. Marietta School located 5 miles west of Octavia on SH-64.

Top


District ?

Brown School located 5.5 miles SW of Bellwood (mile south of ST-64).

Top


District ? David City

David City Grade School.
"RILEY V. BEACH, Principal of David City Graded School and ex-County Superintendent of Public Schools. Came to Nebraska in the fall of 1870, and settled on homestead on Section 20, in Union Precinct, and was the first school teacher in that town. Was elected County Superintendent in the fall of 1879, and is now [1882] local preacher for the M. E. Church at David City." Ref: Andreas history Part 4.

Miss Libbie WESTOVER was the first graduate 1886 of David City High School.
Ref: NSGS Nebraska Ancestree, Spring 1979, Vol 1, No 4, p 163.
no submitter named, no source stated.

David City HS Alumni List 1886-1909

1890: David City High School Diploma of Iva Edmonds View image
Principal: W. M. Moore                      Board President: H. W. Keller
Assistant: Mollie M. Bauer                Board Secretary: Geo. P. Shirley?

1900

...

1950

1957: David City High School Prom. Oldest graduate Mrs. Iva Edmonds Walden View image

Public Elementary School
826 E Street, David City, NE 68632
402-367-3779

Public Junior-Senior High School
750 D Street, David City, NE 68632
402-367-3187

Aquinas Middle School & High School
South Highway 15, David City, NE 68632
402-367-3175

St. Mary's Grade School
1026 5th Street, David City, NE 68632
402-367-3669

David City Public Schools includes Bellwood School

Top


District 60

School No. 60 located in Center Twp, NW corner of Section 4, 3 miles SE of David City.

"... Margaret Jane Meysenburg (Mrs. Nicholas Remakel), daughter of P. N. Meysenburg and Barbara Dehner Meysenburg was born Feb 15, 1878 at Bellwood. She attended school in District No. 60. ...." Ref: Obituary of Margaret J. Meysenburg Remakel

Top


District 61

School No. 61 located in Skull Creek Twp., middle east edge of Section 28, 2.5 miles south of Bruno.

Top


District 63

School No. 63 located in Plum Creek Twp, old village, Ware.
Ref:
sindee583@netscape.net

Top


District 64

School No. 64 located in Alexis Twp., middle of east edge of Section 15.

Top


District 65

School No. 65 located in Savanah Twp., south edge of Section 23, 3.25 miles east of Bellwood, across the road south is/was a cemetery.

Top


District 66

School No. 66 located in Plum Creek Twp., northeast corner of Section 31, four miles east, 1.25 miles south of Ulysses.

Top


District 67

School No. 67 located in Summit Twp., south middle edge of Section 17.

Top


District 68

School No. 68 located in Franklin Twp., center of Section 7, 1.5 miles north of David City.

Top


District 69

School No. 69 located in Franklin Twp., near NE corner of Section 15, 3 miles east, .75 miles north of David City.

Top


District 70

School No. located in  Twp., of Section .

Top


District 71

School No. 71 located in Savannah Twp., Section 30.

Top


District 74

School No. 74 located in Ulysses Twp., NE corner of Section 35, two miles east, 1 mile south of Ulysses.

Grace M. Hoeft wrote, "I also attended Dist. 74 for one year and it was located 2 miles east and one mile south of Ulysses."

graciemarie@clarks.net (Grace M. Hoeft)

Top


District 75

School No. 75 located in Plum Creek Twp., south edge of Section 27, 1.5 miles south, 2 miles west, .25 miles north of Dwight.

Top


District 76

School No.76 located in Savannah Twp., on east edge of Section 8.   Approximately 1 m. east and 2 miles north of Bellwood.

Top


District 77

School No. located in  Twp., of Section .

Top


District 78

School No. 78 located in  Twp., SE corner of Section 35, four miles east, two miles south of David City.

Top


District 79

School No. 79 located in Richardson Twp., middle of west edge of Section 8, half mile east, two miles north of Dwight.

Top


District 80

School No. 80 (Garrison?) located in  Union Twp., of Section 23?

Top


District 81

School No. 81 located in Plum Creek Twp., middle of south edge of Section 17, one mile north, 4.5 miles east of Ulysses.

Top


District 82

William Wolford, teacher at District 82 for the school year 1916/1917.
submitted by Dawn Amos (damos@ix.netcom.com)

Top


District 83

District 83 School, Surprise.
Shirley Murphy has District 83 School Census Records from 1888-1909 with the exception of 1901, 1902 and 1906 years. The records include the name of a parent or guardian and all children in the home from age 5 to age 18.  She has agreed to do LOOKUPS.   Contact her at murphyshirley@hotmail.com with enough detail to understand "who" and "when" to lookup.

Top


District 84?

School No. 84? located in Ulysses Twp., would be in Section 13, 14, 23, 24

Grace M. Hoeft wrote, "My father's schoolhouse still stands on a corner 2 miles east and one mile north of Ulysses, I think it was #84. It is not used, but must have been built very well to have stood 110 years and more.

graciemarie@clarks.net (Grace M. Hoeft)

Top


District 85

School No. 85 located in Franklin Twp., SE corner of Section 8, one mile north, 1.5 miles east of David City.

Top


District 88

School No. 88 located in Summit Twp., south edge of Section 14, 4.5 miles north, .25 miles east of Rising City.  There is a church .75 mile east.

Top


District ? Plum Creek

http://www.ukans.edu/carrie/kancoll/andreas_ne/butler/butler-p5.html
"D. C. HARRISON, school teacher and farmer, Section 19, Town 13, Range 3 east, Plum Creek Precinct, Butler County.... [prior to 1882]"

Top


District ? Rising City

http://www.ukans.edu/carrie/kancoll/andreas_ne/butler/butler-p6.html

"ERASMUS GRUBB, ... came to Nebraska in the spring of 1877, and bought a farm on Section 9, in Reading Precinct. Here he resided operating his farm and teaching school at Rising ...."

"In the spring of 1879, the present [1882] schoolhouse was erected and a school established. Mr. E. Gregg taught until the close of the school year, and was succeeded by the present incumbent, Rev. D. A. Shoulty. Prof. Shoulty is assisted by Miss A. E. Walker, and the school registers 138 pupils."

Top


District 90

School No. 90 location in Olive Twp., SE corner of Section 36, two miles south of David City, east side of railroad, west side of road.

Top


District 92

School No. 92 located in Richardson Twp., middle of west edge of Section 15, 2.5 miles east, 1 mile north of Dwight.

Top


District 93

School No. 93 located in Richardson Twp., middle of west edge of Section 12, 4.5 miles east, 2 miles north of Dwight.

Top


District 94

School No. 94 located in Plumb Creek Twp., southeast corner of Section 10, 1.5 miles north, 2 miles west of Dwight.

Top


District

 

Top


Small Entertainments

Say each name slowly and ponder the memories:

Red Rover, Ante-Over, Hopscotch, Workup, In-Come-Free, Hide & Seek, Reverse Hide & Seek, Hoop & Guider, Horse shoes, Crack the whip, Pin the tail, Follow-the-leader, Pick-up-sticks, Jacks, Stack hands, Clap in-Clap out, Squat tag, Keep away, Caroms, Hare & Hound, Merry-go-round, Teter-totter, Giant Stride, Marbles for keeps, Kick-the-can, Skip rope, Kickball, Spud, Marko-polo, Run-sheep-run, Musical Chairs, Hangman, TicTacToe, May I?,  Simon says, Fox & Geese, Snowballs & forts, Sledding, Tonettes, Ocarinas, Kazoos, Tambourine-block-triangle-stick band, Taffy, Divinity, Fudge--which used vinegar? Friday popcorn, Box socials.

Slates, Stoking stoves, Emptying ashes, Pumping water & tin cups, McGuffey's reader, Palmer penmanship, Ink wells & quills, Dusting erasers, Washing blackboards, Reading circle, Spelling bees, Math at the board, Dick & Jane, Pledge of allegiance, 8th grade exams.


Modern Schools

Links to modern schools are difficult to maintain as the internet connections to schools are being installed, improved and changed.  These links are here in the hope that students can volunteer to do historical research in areas that benefit genealogy.  County history, land records, marriage records, immigration patterns, ethnic groups, etc. are all possibilities.  If you know high school level students who need a community volunteer task, talk to them about genealogy and its connections to history, record keeping, research, writing, and databases.


| Top | Butler Co. NEGenWeb |

Copyright © 2008 Butler Co. NEGenWeb
web page by Emmett Mason


Hail, Hail, the gang's all here!