Main Page and Search Engine for
Links to Data and Online Resources for Cass
County NOT on this Site
|This is a FREE SITE.
||Please notify the site
owner if you have come to this site as a result of a paid
subscription to another site.
WITH a brief sketch of
the lives of those who
have helped to make this
one of the thriftiest little
cities in the west.
Compiled and Published by The Louisville Weekly Courier,
Louisville, Nebraska. (c.1905)
[An effort has been made to reproduce this work in a way
that as closely approximates the original as possible. This includes
maintaining the spelling found in the original.]
Louisville Table of Contents
Previous Page | Next Page
HISTORY AND FINANCIAL RESOURCES OF LOUISVILLE NEBRASKA;
CHAS. H. PHELPS
CHAS. H. PHELPS was born in Winchester, Preble county, Ohio
in May 1841. He spent hisboyhood days at that place and when a young
man moved to Mount Pleasant, Iowa where hewas engaged as clerk with a
leading furniture establishment of that place. On December 31,1861,
he was married to Julia Ann Howsel, of that city. They remained in
Mount Pleasant until1864, when Mr. Phelps decided to go on further
west, which he did, crossing the plains toVirginia City, Montana.
Here he remained for five years, when he concluded to return toMount
Pleasant, arriving there in the fall of '69. Three years later, the
fall of '72, Mr. Phelpsemigrated to Platford precinct, Sarpy county,
Nebraska. He found matters a great dealdifferent here than in
Montana, so he did not return to Iowa, but bought a farm and
aftercareful attention through those days of frontier life, has today
one of the best improved farmsin this section of the country where he
and his wife still make their home. Ten children havebeen born to Mr.
and Mrs. Phelps, three girls and seven boys, of whom two girls and
six boysare still living.
MR. PANKONIN was born in Germany on August 26, 1857, and
emigrated to Americawhen twelve years of age and settled with his
parents in Michigan He remained there untiltwenty years of age, at
which time he started for Nebraska, first stopping in Lincoln. Here
hespent some time in the employ of A.G. Barns, a leading pump man of
that city. He remainedwith Mr. Barns until he had fitted himself
capable of starting into business for himself. His firstlocation was
Louisville and there he has since remained. He was engaged in this
line but a fewyears when he branched out into the hardware and
implement business. He soon found need for a larger building and
erected a two-story stone structure which is today one of the nicest
inthe town. Soon after another was erected, having a 50-foot front on
Main street. Here heremained until 1900 in that year disposing of his
stock to Fred Gorder & Son. Mr. Pankonindid not retire from business
life but again entered the pump and well work, being thus engagedat
the present time. Mr. Pankonin has served several years on the town
and school boards ofthis place and filled the positions most
satisfactory. He is a man who has done much for theadvancement of our
city and one who gives liberally to any move for the betterment
Mr. Pankonin was married in 1884 to Miss Mary Gaebel, a resident
of Cass county. Theyhave a beautiful residence in the southeast part
of town where they, with their two sons, enjoya pleasant home.
LEONARD F. HADDON
MR. HADDON, of whom this sketch is written, was born
December 8, 1876 in Sarpycounty, Nebraska. He spent eighteen years of
his life there, helping his father with the farmaffairs and attending
the school of his district. At the age of eighteen, in the year of
'95, heentered the employ of D.G. Lyman in his sand pits just north
of Louisville. His ability as anatural machinist and overseer put
him, in two weeks time, in charge of the works. Mr.Haddon held this
position for over seven years and to the entire satisfaction of his
employergoes without saying. He decided in the summer of 1902 to go
into business for himself, so heresigned his position with Mr. Lyman
and purchased the bowling alley and pool room ownedby Mr. Oleson.
Here he is at present engaged. Mr. Haddon has a neat, quiet place and
has anice stock of candies and cigars always on hand for his many
patrons. He was married onMarch 17, 1897, to Miss Martha A. Line,
whose parents were residents and well-to-dofarmers of Cass county.
Mr. and Mrs. Haddon are the parents of two daughters.
JAMES P. ELLIS
JAMES P. ELLIS was born in Putman county, Illinois, on the
9th day of April,1855. Hisparents lived on a farm where he spent his
boyhood days working for them in the summerand attending school in
the winter months. He also attended the high school in
Granville,Illinois. In 1871, when he was sixteen, his parents moved
to the state of Iowa, settling on afarm, where James spent the next
five years with the family. In 1876 he started out for himself,coming
to Blair, Nebraska, as helper in station office work, and afterwards
become agent onthe S.C. & P. railway at different points on that road
during the five years he stayed withthem. He then took a position
with the St. P.R.R. and served one year as station agent atOakland,
Nebraska. He then served six months with the Western Union Telegraph
companyat Omaha. After spending two months as express agent on the
St. Paul R.R. he removed toLouisville where he has been employed as
station agent, commencing duty on April 21, 1882.
This is a record for trust, earned by years of toil under
disadvantages, with all kinds ofpeople to deal with on one hand and
the railroad company on the other. Mr. Ellis' services areappreciated
by his employers as is proven by his being stationed at a place like
Louisville withtwo competing roads, for so long a time.
Mr. Ellis is a man whose influence for good will always be felt
wherever he may live, not fromany motives or policy, but from
principles born of high character. As a citizen among hisneighbors
and townspeople, he is looked upon with respect, a man who is at all
times ready togive and assist any worthy cause or person, without
praise or reward.
J.P. Ellis was married January 14, 1880 at Scribner, Dodge county,
Nebraska, to Miss MaryJ. Rochford of that city. Nine children have
been born to them, six boys and three girls, eightof whom are living,
one son, Freddie, having past to the better world when three years of
THE subject of this sketch was born Dec. 29, 1838 in Quincy,
Ill., which city at that time waslittle more than a village, many of
the houses being primitive log cabins; now, however, itenjoys the
proud distinction of being called the "Gem City" with a population of
50,000. Mr.Wood spent his earlier childhood here. His father died,
when he was three years old and hismother re-married when he was nine
and with them he moved to Beverly township, in thesame county, where
he resided until 1888 when he removed to Louisville, Neb. Up to
thetime of attaining manhood he resided on a farm, working in summer
and attending school inwinter, twelve months of which he was a
student at Jacksonville, Ill.
At the age of 21 he commenced clerking in a village store and
remained at that employmentfor five years. He then taught school for
three years, when he again engaged in the mercantilebusiness, this
time for himself, and for eighteen years he was so employed. On
coming toNebraska Mr. Wood again entered the school room and taught
at various places for sixyears. He is now assistant cashier at the
Bank of Commerce, also represents a number ofinsurance companies and
is justice of the peace. He married Miss Gertrude M. Conrey, whowas
born in New York state Aug. 9, 1844, and to them have been born six
boys and threegirls. Mary, the oldest daughter died in February,
1890, and Julian J., in June, 1894.
Mr. and Mrs. Wood have a beautiful home on Gospel Hill where a
happy family keep thingspleasant the year around.
CHARLES SCHLAFLI was born at Biel Ct. Berne, Switzerland,
June 14, 1849, andremained in his native country until 1880, in that
year coming to America and Omaha was hisdestination in the new world.
He remained in that city three years in the butcher business whenhe
came to Louisville and opened a market where he stayed until the
spring of 1884. He thenspent a year visiting at his old home in
Switzerland returning to Louisville in '85. Here he hassince
remained, with the exception of two years spent at St. Joe, Mo., and
has almostconstantly been the proprietor of an up-to-date and
well-kept market. Charlie has always heldthe confidence of the people
and has friends by the score, being a wholehearted man alwaysready to
help the needy and ever ready heart and hand to contribute to any
move whereby hisfellowman may be benefitted.
In 1886, Miss Lena Schneider, a fair lady of Switzerland, crossed
the wide ocean toAmerica, coming to Louisville where on February 8,
in that year she became the wife of Mr.Schlafli. Like her husband
Mrs. Schlafli has friends without number, and is a lady whosekindness
has been fully appreciated in many homes, where sickness demanded the
presenceof good women of her kind. They are the parents of one
daughter, whose name is also Lena.
VENICE LODGE No. 80, Knights of
Pythias, was instituted September 24, 1891, under theadministration
of Grand Chancellor W.L. Scism and by District Deputy Brother Finlay
ofEvergreen Lodge, of Greenwood, Nebraska with twelve charter members
and the followingofficers: P.C., J.A. Hasemeier, C.C., M.N. Drake,
V.C., E. Jenkins, P., J.K. Nichols, M.E.,C.A. Manker, M.F., H.E.
Pankonin, K.R. & S., J.P. Wood, M.A., M.L. Hamlin, J.G., A.Deitrich,
O.G., Geo. Tackenberg.
The organization of the lodge was
largely due to the untiring and determined efforts of Bro. E.Jenkins,
now deceased, who was that time a member of Evergreen Lodge, and
being a Knightwho believed that the order was established upon
principles that had for its object "thebetterment of mankind" he
undertook the task of securing a sufficient number of names toobtain
a charter, with a zeal that soon crowned his efforts with success. At
the institution of thelodge the District Deputy was assisted by
Knights from Omaha, Lincoln, Plattsmouth,Ashland, Weeping Water and
Greenwood. For the first two years of its existence the Lodgehad a
steady, though not rapid growth, but owing to removals its membership
became soreduced in members that the income of the lodge was not
sufficient to pay current expensesand in 1894 it suspended work as a
lodge but retained its charter. In April, 1897 the lodgewas revived
and reorganized but had not sufficient members to confer the ranks
efficiently andafter a short existence the remaining members
surrendered its charter and was consolidatedwith Springfield Lodge
No. 87, retaining their membership there till in April, 1900,
whenLiberty Lodge No. 88 was organized with the following charter
members: J.A. Hasemeier,J.P. Wood, J.L.Burns, I. DePuy, Geo. Frater,
C.A. Richey, F. Dickson, H.E. Pankonin, FredRoune, G. Goebel, J.J.
Meier, C.D. Morrow, J.E. Oleson, E.C. Twiss, S.E. Sorber, J.T.Dawson,
S.W. Davis, Joe Schimpfke, Geo. Horn, C.E. Urwin, Jesse Hill. E.
Sturzenegger,and with the following officers: C.C., J.L. Burns, V.C.,
E.C. Twiss, Prel., J.P. Wood, M.E.,S.W. Davis, M.F., C.E. Urwin,
K.R.S., Geo Frater, M.A., J. Schimpfke, I.G., J.T. Dawson,O.G., J.
Oleson, M.W., I. DePuy. The lodge has had a steady, healthful growth
from itsinstitution to the present time and now numbers fifty
members, and with no suspension since itsorganization. It has a Rank
Staff that can and does confer the ranks in an impressive mannerthat
would do credit to older and larger lodges.
Since the institution of the lodge
the following names have been added: C. Vanscoyoc, A.O.Hinkle, H.G.
Mundell, C.B. Lee, D.D. Haggard, F. DePuy, L.A. Jackman, J. Goebel,
C.W.Sheldon, G.H. Wood, J.P. Ellis, R.H. Lewis, C. Gross, J.A.
Dawson, J.E.Baety, H. Story,W.F. Diers, J.R. Noyes, W. Wade, H.R.
Jenkins, J.P. Phelps, C.J. Fosbury, F.W. Cockrell,F.J. Tapper and
But one death has occurred from among
the membership of the lodge, who was in goodstanding at time of
death, since the organization: Brother Frank Detrich was accidentally
killedin the spring of 1893, at the Robertson sand pits, by being run
over by a car, and wasburried[sic] by the lodge.
With the membership now upon its roster and with its exchequer in
a good healthy condition,the prospects for Liberty lodge for future
growth and usefulness are certainly most flattering.And any young
man, or old one either, who desire to unite with a fraternal. order,
whoseobject is to teach their highest, broadest sense the full
meaning of the words, "Friendship,Charity, Benevolence," will make no
mistake by casting their lots with members of LibertyLodge, No. 88,
Knights of Pythias.
HON. MARTIN FRIEDRICH.
WHEN our state was new, years ago, there came to Cass county
a young man whopossessed those qualities that are the foundation to
success. Not riches in money and lands,but a will, harnessed together
with patience and honesty. For a time this young man worked asa farm
laborer, and from his wages managed to save a little each month,
putting it away, withthe expectation of someday owning one of Cass
county's farms, and with that end in view hecontinued to toil each
year more faithful that he might reach the goal for which he had
started.This gentleman is Mr. Martin Friedrich, who now lives on a
farm, near Cedar Creek,Nebraska. He secured that farm for which he
had worked, and with it the confidence of allwho know him. He is a
pleasant, whole-hearted, honest man, and as evidence of their trust
inhim, they elected him to represent their County at the state
capitol two years ago. His workthere as else where, successful. He
devoted his whole time to the interests of the county whilethere, as
he had done in years gone by for himself. This the people appreciated
and at the lastelection they decided no mistake would be made to
re-elect this gentleman to the same office,and the name of one of our
representatives in legislature halls reads Hon. Martin Friedrich.
Mr. Friedrich has a beautiful home on his place near Cedar Creek,
and a wife and family whoare held in high esteem by all their
GEORGE L. SHELDON
GEORGE L. SHELDON was born on his father's farm at Nehawka,
Nebraska, May 31,1870, where he attended the district schools until
he was seventeen years of age, at that timeentering the State
University at Lincoln. He graduated from the university in 1892, and
enteredHarvard, taking post graduate course, graduating with the
class of '93. While at Lincoln Mr.Sheldon was appointed captain of
the cadets, his company winning first prize in thecompetition drill
of the inter-state national guards. He was also captain of company
B.Nebraska Volunteers, during the Spanish-American war, to which
position he wasunanimously elected.
On September 4th, 1895, Mr. Sheldon was married to Miss Rose
Higgins, of Roseville,Illinois, two children being born to this
union, a boy, George Lawson, jr., and a daughter,Mary.
In the year of '56 the father of the subject of this sketch came
from Vermont and settled on ahomestead near Nehawka. Two years later
he returned to the Green Mountain state andbrought back with him a
bride, who was Miss Julia Pollard. They journed[sic] from NewEngland
by rail to St. Louis, and thence up the Missouri river to Nebraska
City, bringing withthem their worldly possessions, for Nebraska was
to be their future home. Mr Sheldon waschosen by the republicans of
his county to represent them in the legislature, and twicethereafter
was made a state senator.
Mr. George L. Sheldon, like his honored father, was reared under
the wing of the republicanparty, and is a staunch supporter of its
principles. He was elected to the state senate, at ourlast election,
by a majority of 477.
HORACE E. BROWN was born May 19, 1867 at Mount Pleasant,
Iowa. In 1871 hisparents moved to Nebraska, locating at Tecumseh,
where H.E. spent his boyhood. Heattended the schools of that place
and in due time graduated with his class. After leavingschool he
began clerking in a drug store at Tecumseh, and was employed in that
capacity forthree years. Wishing to extend his knowledge in this line
he secured a position with a drugcompany of Omaha. Here he remained
for some time but finally went to Plattsmouth where heheld a like
position for several months.
By this time he had saved from his earnings a neat sum and so
decided to start intobusiness for himself. A friend in Chicago, who
had large interests in Hailley, Idaho, prevailedon Mr. Brown going
there with him, as in his opinion, Hailley was a good opening for a
drugstore. This Mr. Brown did. Times were then flourishing and
matters there looked encouragingand he invested his money there. For
a time his business was on the boom but there came achange. Mines
closed and the miners who were his support sought new fields of
labor. In afew months his stock was no source of income, and not
worth the freight it would cost tomove it elsewhere. His savings of
two years then could be easily reckoned. Discouragingindeed, but
being a young and courageous man he immediately set about to regain
his loss. In1894 he purchased the stock of drugs owned by W.B.
Shryock at Louisville and there he hasenjoyed a good trade ever
since, having a large stock and many friends.
Mr. Brown was married at Hailley, Idaho to Miss May Lindsey, of
that city. Two childrenhave been born to them, Richard, age 11 years
and Raymond, age 6.
MR. CHARLES GAEBEL was born March 12, 1857 in Germany,
coming to America withhis parents when one year of age. They first
settled in Wisconsin where his father worked atday labor for five
years for the support of his family. At the end of this time his
parentsremoved to Cass county, Nebraska, and settled on a farm near
Louisville. Charles stayed onthe farm with his parents through all
the hardships and toil that was to be met by the firstsettlers of the
west, until twenty-four years old. He then married Miss Mary
Gakemeir, of thiscounty, on July 17, 1882. At that time Mr. Gaebel's
principal capital consisted of a healthyconstitution, push and energy
backed up by good judgment. With these qualities and the faithhe had
in Cass' future, he and his good wife settled on a farm and today
that is their home. Asthe fruits of their labors and evidence of his
good judgment they possess one of the besthomes in our county.
Mr. Gaebel has not confined himself alone to the raising of grain
but has given years oftime and attention to the breeding of fine
stock. His herds of both cattle and hogs stand at thehead of the
list. His reputation as a breeder and shipper of thoroughbred Poland
China andDuroc-Jersey hogs has attracted the attention of dealers in
all parts of the States.
Mr. and Mrs. Gaebel are the parents of six children, three boys
and as many girls, all ofwhom are living.
JESSE L. ROOT
MR. ROOT, of Plattsmouth, Nebraska, was born in Tazwell
county, Illinois, in November1860. Here he worked on a farm and
attended school, soon qualifying himself as a teacher.This he did for
several terms, devoting the vacations to whatever other work he could
find. Hemastered stenography and for a time was employed in that
capacity. Being a young man ofambition and energy with a will and
determination to push upward, he began the study of law,and was
admitted to the bar in Cass county in 1887. He has practiced his
profession eversince at Plattsmouth, and is looked upon by all as an
enterprising, honorable citizen in whomthey can put confidence and
trust. As an evidence of their faith in him he has
constantantly[sic]been in their service as member of several boards,
attorney for different towns, and also forthe county of Cass. Mr
Root's practice is not limited to the lower courts but has carried
withsuccess many cases through the higher courts of our state. His
judgment is good as a businessman, and his counsel honest and
sincere. He was, at the last election, re-elected countyattorney for
Cass by a neat majority on the republican ticket.
Mr. Root was married in 1888 to Miss Evelyn Wise, of this county,
and to them have beenborn three children.
RICHARD C. HUBERT was born at Beverly, Illinois, on the 8th
day of July, 1867. He spenthis younger days on a farm with his
parents and there he learned the habits of industry andeconomy,
corner stones of good character and success, so essential in standing
the test andcompetition of this age. Here he spent many many days in
doing his duty on the farm and inthe school room of the common
schools, acquiring the learning which is so all-important to theman
when he goes into business for himself, be it large or small.
After leaving school Mr. Hubert went to farming and raising stock
for himself, remaining thusengaged for several years with fair
success. Being of a social turn of mind, and farm lifegrowing
monotonous, he decided to give it up and find a new location among
new people, so,in company with his younger sister, they left the
Prairie state and came to Nebraska, locatingat Louisville.
On October 12, 1901, Mr. Hubert opened a merchant tailoring place
of business, alsocleaning and repairing garments. He has built up a
good trade by his courteous treatment, andenjoys the confidence of
all those with whom he has had business dealings. At his
placemeasures will be taken for ladies' or gents' tailored garments
and you are guaranteed entiresatisfaction.
He has an elegant line of samples to select from, all of the very
latest patterns. The opportunityhas at last arrived when one need no
longer wear ready-made clothing, for at this place tailormade goods
are as cheap. Mr. Hubert and his sister make their home in Louisville
and havewon many friends by their upright character.
Previous Page | Next Page
Louisville Table of Contents
Main Page and Search Engine for
Links to Data and Online Resources for Cass
County NOT on this Site
Information on this page may be used for personal,
nonprofit purposes only. © Copyright 1999 Wendy J.
Anderson. This page may not be copied or distributed or
accessed for profit without the written permission of the copyright
holder or the owner of this site.
Last Modified on:Sunday, 06-Dec-2015 10:00:45 MST