invisible place holder

Main Page and Search Engine for this site.
Links to Data and Online Resources for Cass County NOT on this Site
This is a FREE SITE.
  Please notify the site owner if you have come to this site as a result of a paid subscription to another site.
Plattsmouth Journal September 7, 1909


City Thronged With Old Time Citizens Here To Renew Old Acquaintances

     Yesterday (Thursday) turned out to be one of the great days of the big carnival. With adverse opening, cloudy skies and threatening rain the earlier part of the day promised to be bad, and many were discouraged over the outlook, but about noon the clouds cleared away and blue skies and balmy air prevailed.

     The afternoon was a brilliant success and the streets were thronged with people. The several free attractions were given as per schedule, and greatly pleased the crowd. The longer the carnival goes on the more praise is bestowed on the management for the high grade attractions given free. The trapeze act, the contortionist, the slack wire people, the diving dog and the balloonist are all A-1 and winners.

     The balloon ascension yesterday was a great success, and one of the prettiest ever seen in this part of the country. A man and a dog went up and ascended to a great height, the dog being cut loose first and floating gracefully down to earth followed by the man, who promptly cut loose when the crack of the gun came, and sailed to earth from a vast distance.

     A prettier spectacle never was presented than these two who were floting in the air at the same time. An immense crowd had gathered at the corner of Fifth and Vine streets to witness the ascension, and salvo after salvo of applause went up when the grand descent was made. Certainly no one could find fault with the free attractions which have been put on so far, and the rest of the week will be better.

     An unexpected and very pleasant surprise took place in the afternoon when the Fort Crook band came down. In the morning the committee, discouraged by the bad weather, had called the band up and cancelled the engagement. Later, when the sun came out the band decided to come down on their own repsonsibility, and they boarded the Schuyler train at Bellevue, arriving here at 4 o'clock.

     They played a number of airs on the streets in the afternoon and leaped into popular favor at once. This is one of the best bands heard here in years, and demonstrated that they know good music. They received the heartiest applause and the universal opinion was that they should return under better conditions and receive the proper amount of attention from the press.

     Certainly they did great work yesterday afternoon and evening. After supper they gave a concert at the corner of Fifth and Main streets which was enjoyed by a great throng of people. Every number was received with round after round of applause, and Fort Crook was voted a winner. The band is the Sixteenth Infantry band of the Army, and is directed by Ernest G. Fischer.

     It is a great organisation, and Director Fischer deserves the highest commendation for the masterly manner in which the band has been drilled. The evening program was as follows:

     March, "Stars and Stripes Forever".................Sousa
     Overture, "Elisa e Claudio"..............................Mercadante
     Waltz, "Wedding of the Winds"......................Hall
     Descriptive, "A Hunting Scene"......................Buccalossi
            Fantasie, "My Old Kentucky Home"...............Dalbey
            "The Star Spangled Banner"

     Every number was greeted with applause, especially the descriptive "Hunting Scene" and "My Old Kentucky Home". Of course, the "Star Spangled Banner" was received with open arms and cheers. All told, the Fort Crook band won out in the affections of Plattsmouth, and the next time they come there won't be anything too good for them.

     The ball game had a fair crowd, and was a better one than the score indicates. The grounds were in miserable condition and muddy for true, but both teams played good ball. The Fort Crook team won by a score of 9 to 2, largely owing to lucky hits, coupled with errors by the locals. Williams pitched a good game, but the few hits secured off him came right at a time when the errors came, and this won for the soldier boys.

     Fort Crook played good ball throughout, and were lucky in not having disastrous errors and bad hits to handle at critical times. The game would have been very close except for one bad inning which the locals had.

     The program for the afternoon down town went off without a hitch. Goveror Shallenberger, who was to be the principal speaker, came in shortly after noon from Union in an automobile. Owing to a misunderstanding as to when he was to come and the route he would arrive on, the committee to receive him went to the Burlington station, and he consequently came in unheralded and unannounced.

     As soon as his presence was known the committee, headed by Hon. R. B. Windham, met him and an impromptu reception was held at the Riley. In the afternoon he delivered a felicitous speech at the tent north of the court house, delighting a large audience. The governor's speech was a fine one and superbly timed for the occasion. He was in a happy mood and made a hit with those who heard him.

     Other addresses were delivered by ex-Congressman Strode, Rev. A. L. Folden, C. S. Payne of the Nebraska Historical Society, Hon. B. S. Ramsey, who introduced Grandpa Bailey, a man 94 years of age, the nestor of Cass county. All the addresses met with a hearty reception. Owing to the demand on space today reference to the several speeches at length cannot be given.

     The evening program, which included the grand banquet to the pioneers and old settlers, was carried out without a hitch. Hon. R. B. Windham presided as toastmaster and introduced the several speakers. Previous to the speaking Mr. Windham stated that a telephone message form Hon. F. E. White of Omaha had been recieved expressing his deep regret at his inability to be present owing to illness in his family.

     A like message was received from Hon. Orlando Tefft of Avodca. The banquet was preceded by a memorable incident. Fifty years ago Conrad Schlater had played upon the organ of the Methodist church in this city, the choir singing to his accompaniment. Yesterday the same organ, the first in this city, was played by Conrad Schlater and the Methodist choir again sang to his accompaniment.

     The choir, however, was different and younger, but the veteran organist was the same. The occasion was one not unmixed with solemnity, and will live forever in Plattsmouth history. Following this came the invocation by Canon Burgess, who eloquently called down blessings upon the aged members of the festal board.

     The program of toasts was responded to by Conrad Schlater, Mayor John P. Sattler, ex-Senator Thomas, Hon. Matthew Gering, Hon. J. E. Douglass, Rev. A. L. Folden, Hon. M. Archer, A. L. Tidd, Hon. J. L. Root, Rev. A. A. Randall, Hon. A. J. Beeson, Father M. S. Shine, Hon. D. O. Dwyer, Hon. H. D. Travis, Hon. G. L. Farley, Dr. M. M. Butler, D. W. Foster, E. A. Kirkpatrick and Hon. E. M. Pollard.

     As has been stated above space today forbids extended comment upon the several responses, but it can be said they were all excellent. The address of ex-Senator S. L. Thomas was preceded by the reading of a poem written and read by Thomas Thomas, his father, on July 4, 1876, at a pioneer's meeting in this city. This poem, together with an extended notice of Senator Thomas' remarks will appear later.

     At the conclusion of the banquet, which it may be remarked was on of the best ever given in this city, a vot of thanks was tendered the ladies of the Episcopal church, who served the feast. There were a number of letters read from pioneers, including and extended letter from Hon. E. A. Donelan, the first mayor of this city; T. Benton Brown, a pioneer resident; W. M. Buster, also an old-time Nebraska citizen, and many others. The letter of ex-Mayor Donelan appears elsewhere, together with those of Mr. Brown and Mr. Buster.

     Mr. Chairman: Your initiative to attend the old settlers at Plattsmouth in September is received. I assure you it would give me great pleasure to be with you on that occasion, but my health at this time admonishes me I should not be present. In 1857 I concluded to change my residence from Savannah to St. Joseph, as St. Joe had taken a start from 1849 form the California gold emigration, and its population was rapidly increasing. Before going to St. Joe I decided to go to Plattsmouth and start my cousin, Dr. William Donelan, who had studied medicine with me, in practice.

     I had a number of friends there who knew me in Savannah. I opened an office with my cousin, and commended to practice in Plattsmouth. When there only six weeks they elected me to the legislature, where we had a very exciting session over the removal of the capitol from Omaha to South Platte, in which I took an active interest. There were a majority in favor of movning the capitol south of the Platte river, but Omaha was determined to defeat the removal. When we got ready to take vote on the removal, before Decker of Nebraska City, who was speaker and also favorable to the removal, could put the question Colonel Hanscom put him out of the chair, and with a lot of backers stopped the proceedings.

     The house then was in a great state of confusion, and when it was evident we would not be allowed to vote we adjourned, and held a caucus, and agreed to move to Florence. It was quite a town and at that time an active opponent of Omaha. Florence prepared a room for the legislature to meet in. The next day we held a caucus. I offered the resolution to move the legislature to Florence. It passed the house and was presented in the council, or the senate, as it is now called. Dr. Miller of Omaha was president, and was opposed to the removal of the capitol. He refused to entertain the question, and Senator Reeves of Nebraska City put the question, which was carried. The legislature then moved to Florence, where the citizens did everything they could to make us comfortable.

     We passed a number of bills, including the removal of the capitol to South Platte, but Governor Richardson refused to recognize the Florence legislature, or sign the bills. Consequently they never became laws. Shortly after I returned to Plattsmouth they elected me Mayor. We had some exciting times in those days. Claim and anit-claim factions would have their disputes, but by good management they were all settled. The Colorado gold fever broke out, and many with their wagons, were on their way to the gold fields. While on their way west of Plattsmouth they received some very unfavorable reports that there was no gold in Colorado, and that it was got up as a scheme to sell goods. Some fifty or sixty wagons, about seventy five miles west of Plattsmouth met and held a consultation and decided to return home.

     At this meeting, they decided they would not pay toll at the crossing of the river at Plattsmouth. We received the news in advance and called a meeting of the citizens. Wehat Micklewaite owned the ferry. He said he was not running the ferry for his health and proposed to be paid if they crossed the river on his boat. After consultation we concluded we had not given them any encouragement to go away and that they should pay ferriage on their return. We call a meeting and appointed fifty police. Each was armed with club and pistol for the occasion. They were instructed not to use their weapons except in self-defense. When the teams arrived they were informed of the action of the city and a policeman was at the landing to look after each team.

     As they boarded the boat Micklewaite demanded his fare. It was paid promptly and all passed over the river without any trouble. There were many incidents of claim jumping, mostly claims that were not occupied by squatters. One cheeky instance I will mention. A poor man had squatted on a clain on Platte river and built a shanty, complying with the law, but did not have the money to enter his claim. Two or three individuals went to his place and said they wanted to stop with him, as they were going to spend a few days fishing. They said they would make a little addition to his room. They did so, and when they got through fishing they went to Omaha and entered the claim. I believe they compromised with the old man by buying him out.

     I could mention many incidents that transpired during my stay in Plattsmouth, but space will not permit. The merchants in Plattsmouth at that time were Garrison & Jones, Slaughter & Worley, Harper, Joe Schlater. Joe Schlater had a jewelry store and I a drug store. Conrad Schlater and wife and Mrs. Margaret Schulhof are aomong those who still live in Plattsmouth who were young then. The first Democratic convention held in Nebraska was held in Plattsmouth. I was a delegate to the convention. There were many able men in the territory at that early date. Hard times set in in 1858 and 1859, and money became very scarce. The city issued script, and script and town shares were the principal currency.

     I had a good deal of property and could not raise money to pay taxes on it. I concluded in the spring of 1860 to move to St. Joseph. Dr. Miller of Omaha and myself are the only members of either branches of the legislature now living who were members of those two sessions. Miller published the Omaha Herald, and while we have not always pulled together we have always been good friends. I regard as a high minded, honorable gentleman. In conclusion allow me to say I am still in the harness - medical examiner of the St. Joseph public schools - a position I take much interest in, and I believe I have accomplished much good in preventing the spread of disease, and in teaching the children how to live that they may enjoy a long and happy life.

     I have a few relatives in Plattsmouth - Conrad Schlater and family, Mrs. Margaret Schulhof and family and Mrs. John Donelan and daughter, all of whom I would like to see. I am in my eighty-sixth year an although my limbs are partially paralyzed for a severe fracture in my old age, I am still filling a position, teaching the children how to avoid disease, and what to eat and drink in order to live a long and happy life. Regretting very much that I cannot be with you, I will close by wishing you all many happy days.


Elmwood, Neb., Aug. 22, 1909.
Pioneer Committee, Plattsmouth, Neb:

     I have lived in Nebraska since 1865. Freighted from Nebraska City in 1865. Commenced farming in Cass County the spring of 1866. Have lived there ever since. Was at the first fair that was built in the county in 1857 at Rock Bluff. Would like very much to come down to you picnic, but don't think I can. If you want to put my name down with the old settlers do so.


Los Angeles, Cal., August 28, 1909
Hon. R. B. Windham, Plattsmouth, Neb:      Please accept my regrets that we cannot be at Plattsmouth at your pioneer picnic. I would be glad to be there and see my old friends. Give our regards to one and all. Hoping that you will have a good time, I remain as every yours,


Plattsmouth Journal September 2, 1909

The Murray Department (Personal Items of Interest)

      Mr. and Mrs. Klaurens spent Saturday in Omaha.
      Colonel Jenkins was an Omaha visitor Tuesday.
      Mr. and Mrs. Ora Davis were passengers for Omaha Tuesday.
      Mrs. Dr. Latta of Lincoln visited Uncle Sam Latta over Sunday.
      Colonel Seybolt and Herman Beck dorve to Omaha Friday in colonel's auto.
      Colonel Seybolt shipped a fine carload of logs to South Omaha Thursday.
      Mr. and Mrs. William Sporer were passengers for Weeping Water Thursday.
      David Ramsey and wife of Memphis, Neb., is visiting Miles Standish this week.
      J. H. Cook went to Omaha Monday, going that far with his father and mother.
      Mr. and Mrs. Alva Long attended the G. A. R. reunion at Weeping Water Thursday.
      Ed Graves of Peru, Neb., visited his parents Friday and left Saturday for Minnesota.
      Miss Margie Walker and Mrs. W. C. Brown accompanied Miss Virgie Rye to Omaha Tuesday.
      Mr. and Mrs. James Loughridge attended the picnic of the Eastern Star Monday at Plattsmouth.
      School in Murray begins Monday, September 6. Principal Curley and Mande Rusterholtz teachers.
      Noah Ward, who was taken to the St. Joseph hospital at Omaha is reported as getting along nicely.
      Mr. and Mrs. Hanna, Mrs. Banker of Peru is visiting Mr. Dull this week. Both women are sisters of Mrs. Dull.
      The children of the Christian Sunday school held a picnic at Mrs. McDonald's Wednesday. All report a fine time.
      Miss Virgie Rye of Bickleton, Wash., who has been visiting at Murray for some time, returned to her home Tuesday.
      Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Lawton left Monday morning for thei claim in South Dakota after visiting in the vicinity for two months.
      Werren Wiley left Tuesday for Ewing, Neb., to look at the country, and may locate there in the spring if the country suits him.
      Mrs. H. E. Snyder and children of Fairfield, Ia., and her father, J. K. Oldham of Beaver City, Neb., spent Sunday with the family of H. L. Oldham.
      John Bramblet of Union was in Murray Wednesday with a load of wheat.
      William Kitzel and wife of Alvo, Neb., are visiting relatives at Murray this week.
      Mrs. Rosterholtz, daughter and niece visited the family of J. C. Snavely Wednesday.
      Philip Keil returned from Huron, S. D., Friday, where he had been looking at the country.
      Frank Moose was a passenger for Omaha Tuesday to see his daughter Annabel, who is in St. Joseph's hospital.
      Charles Furgerson of Dunbar, Neb., who has been visiting his aunt, Mrs. Edmunds, left for his home on Tuesday.
      Albert Wechtel and family of Elmwood are visiting in Murray and taking in the big show at Plattsmouth this week.
      Mrs. Gertrude Wiley visited Tuesday at Nebraska City. Although 83 years of age she is as spry as many middle aged women.
      William Smith of the firm of Holmes & Smith went to Nebraska City Wednesday to see the noted Frank James start the races.
      Philip Cook and wife, who have been visiting Murray and vicinity for two weeks, left for their home at Norfolk, Neb., Monday morning.
      William Scott, our genial agent, went to the Platte river the other night fishing and he reports that mosquitoes bit better than the fish.
      Born - To Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dill, a ten-pound girl, Wednesday morning, September 1. Mother and child doing nicely. But Charley - he may recover.
      Rev. Murray Story of Moline, Ill., a cousin of Mrs. H. L. Oldham, preached at the Presbyterian church Sunday and left Tuesday morning for Pawnee City, Neb.
      Mrs. Clara Gray, who was born in Cass county and moved seventeen years ago to Stevenson, Wash., is visiting her brother, W. F. Moore and other relatives in this vicinity.
      Uncle Arch Holmes, after visiting in various sections of Nebraska for three months or more, returned from Dallas, S. D., Wednesday, where he spent several weeks visting his son Arthur. Mr. Holmes appears greatly benefitted from his outing, and his friends are all glad to see him looking so well.
      Dr. George H. Gilmore and Henry Shumaker, from near Nehawka, took Ed Zimmerman before the board of insanity at Plattsmouth Monday, where he was adjudged insane and was taken to the asylum at Lincoln Tuesday by Sherriff Quinton. Zimmerman is the young man who has been working for Mrs. Fred Shumaker, near Nehawka, the past few months.
      Dr. F. L. Cummins spent Sunday afternoon with friends in Murray.
      Ed Parriott of Peru was in town Wednesday in the interest of the A.O.U.W.
      A. A. Hatfield, the walnut log man, was taken suddenly sick Sunday evening.
      Miss Smith of Plattsmouth visited her Uncle Pete a few days this week, and returned home Wednesday.
      James Campbell accompanied the delegation of Plattsmouth to Omaha to ride the Ak-Sar-Ben goat.
      Miss May Loughridge left Monday for Milford Neb., to visit her uncle, W. K. Loughridge.
      Miles Standish and family returned from Norton County, Kas., Thursday. Miles says the corn is in bad shape there.
      Mrs. J. A. Walker and grandson visited in Nehawka Tuesday with Dr. Walker and wife. Walker Gilmore will visit a week with his uncle.
      William Hamilton and James Loughridge had business in Omaha Monday night and they went up on the Ak-Sar-Ben special from Plattsmouth.
      Theo. Amick is among the latest Cass county people to invest in an automobile, he having purchased a fine Ford touring car from the Crabill-Cummins company. the machine is similar to the many popular touring cars which this enterprising firm has been selling lately, and is a beauty as well as a high power machine. It is twenty horse power and makes a splendid appearance as well as gives good satisfaction. The Ford is making a fine reputation in this vicinity and winning all kinds of good words from its users. Messrs. Crabill & Cummins report that they are meeting with good success in disposing of this standard machine.

Plattsmouth Journal September 2, 1909

The Avoca Department (Personal Items of Interest)

      Theron Malcom was a cook visitor Sunday.
      Rev. Kokjer is at Clark's for a two day visit.
      V. W. and Dave Straub are at Des Moines this week.
      H. G. Wellensiek spent Sunday with Osage relatives.
      Nicholas Trook has been on the sick list this week.
      L. U. Hupp had business at Lincoln Saturday evening.
      The new residence of L. J. Marquardt is being painted.
      Fred McGrady and wife now occupy the Baier property.
      Finley Lindsey and Fred Ruhge Jr. were at Omaha Sunday.
      Mrs. A. B. Lewton had her residence reshingled this week.
      Banker Wellensiek had business at Nebraska City Wednesday.
      Ella and Eda Meyers visited at Berlin several days this week.
      Ora E. Copes and wife were at Cook Sunday visiting relatives.
      Miss Florence Wilkinson has returned from a visit at Bethany.
      William Wulf was at Nebraska City Tuesday attending the races.
      George Wanderer and wife are entertaining relatives from Chicago.
      Henry Ruhge and wife made a trip to Nelson the first of the week.
      Mrs. Fred McGrady entertained relatives from Weeping Water this week.
      Ben Mohr has been wrestling with one of Jobe's comforters this week.
      Dick Steffens and wife arrived home from their trip to Germany this week.
      Little Catherine Zook of Auburn was visiting her sister Neva here Tuesday.
      Clyde Bogard went to Louisville this week, where he has secured a position in a barber shop.
      George Shackley and wife were at Plattsmouth this week visiting and attending the carnival.
      Henry Kuhnhenn enjoyed a visit from relatives who reside at Seward and South Dakota this week.
      Miss Emma Marquardt will leave this week for Gotherburg, where she will teach in the schools at that place.
      Fred Carston was bruised up quite badly last week, caused by the horses running away with the hay sweep.
      Charles Conrad trained down from Omaha Saturday evening for a few days with relatives and friends.
      L. U. Hupp made a trip to South Dakota last week and sold 480 acres of land to some parties near Nehawka.
      Misses Irene McCoy and Elva Fisther of Cook were here several days this week visiting their uncle, Ora E. Copes.
      Henry J. Behrns has purchased the stock business in Avoca of Marquardt and Nutzman. Mr. Behrns will take charge January 1.
      William Kempke purchased the Churchill farm of A. Zimmerer, Jr., this week, consideration 10,000. Deed was made by L. U. Hupp.
      Mr. and Mrs. Fred Haverman are the proud parents of twin girls, born last week at a Lincoln hospital. Mrs. Fred Bertel is caring for them at her home in Avoca.
      One of the twins of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hunterman, aged about 8 months, died Thursday evening and was buried Friday. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of the entire community.
      Gillespie and Snyder shipped three cars of stock Tuesday.
      Mrs. Robert Propst is visiting at Havelock this week.
      Mrs. S. A. Scholtman and daughter, Miss Olga Fight, were spending Monday in Omaha.
      W. T. Richardson and family spent Sunday at Fred Bein's.
      Miss Lillian Bajeck of Plattsmouth returned to her home Wednesday after visiting a few days at A. J. Snyder's.
      Roy Howard and wife and two children spent Sunday with D. J. Lairs.
      Mrs. Clara Grey of Stevenson, Wash., is visiting at Oscar Gapen's.
      Miss Anna Snyder has returned from her visit with Miss Villa Gapen at Murray.
      Mr. Charles and family spent Sunday with Mrs. William Wetenkamp.
      Mr. and Mrs. Ray Lloyd of Lincoln were visiting at C. L. Jean's this week.
      Mont Robb was tending to business in Omaha Wednesday.
      Mrs. Ada Harlon was visiting with friends in Mynard Tuesday.
      A. J. Kiser and Grant Hackenburg were in Nebraska City Wednesday attending the races.

Main Page and Search Engine for this site.
Links to Data and Online Resources for Cass County NOT on this Site

Information on this page may be used for personal, nonprofit purposes only. © Copyright 2001, 2002 Julia Ryden. This page may not be copied or distributed or accessed for profit without the written permission of the copyright holder or the owner of this site.

Last Modified on:Friday, 21-Aug-2015 21:27:27 MDT

Search billions of records on