Please notify the site owner if you have come to this site as a result of a paid subscription to another site.
"1885/86 Plattsmouth Business Gazetteer"
Plattsmouth, Cass CO. NE Beautifully located on the high bluffs of the Missouri River, 21 miles south of Omaha, and 54 miles from Lincoln, is the city of Plattsmouth, judicial seat of Cass County. Plattsmouth has an assessed valuation of $900,000, and a population of 6,000. Its schools, churches, business blocks and manufactories are of a high order, while its favorable elevations afford charming sites for residences and an expansive view of the river, valley and distant bluffs on the Iowa side. The high school building, situated on one of the highest eminences is a prominent landmark, well adapted to educational requirements, and it will compare favorably with any similar institution in the state. The B. & M. R. R. [railroad] has here its initial point, as well as extensive machine and repair shops. A fine bridge gives this road connection with the C. B. & Q. [railroad] system east of the river. This is of steel, 2,900 feet in length, the two main spans having a length of 400 feet each and is suspended 60 feet above the water's surface, The piers are sunk to bedrock, fifty feet below water mark, and the structure is one of the most substantial examples of engineering skill to be found upon the river. The constant employment of over 500 men in the machine shops of the B. & M. [railroad] is a great advantage to the laboring classes, the average disbursements of this company being over $35,000 per month. There are seventeen acres enclosed, eight of which are occupied by buildings, three round houses having a capacity of sixty engines. The Plattsmouth foundry and machine shop is a prominent factor in the manufacturing business. Large elevators, extensive flouring mills and a canning factory are in prosperous condition, and afford employment to many persons. A fine system of water works, adequate to the increasing needs of the city, is to be introduced this season. The Electric light is already in use. During the past year a $10,000 bank building, a $5,000 store, and a new
school building have been erected, and new buildings already contracted for will be completed at an early day, including two brick stores to cost $5,000 and $6,000 respectively. Banks doing business in the city are; The Bank of Cass County, capital $50,000, surplus $35,000, C. H.Parmele, pres., J. M. Patterson, cashier; The citizens' bank, authorized capital $100,000. Paid up capital $50,000, John Black, president, W. H. Cushing, Cashier, and the first National Bank, capital $50,000, surplus $ 11,000. The Newspapers of Plattsmouth contribute no little to the reputation of the town by their able and constant advocacy of its various interests. The Plattsmouth Herald, daily and weekly, is published by a stock company, of which R. B. Windham is manager. This paper is republican in politics. The Plattsmouth Journal, Sherman & Cutright, Proprietors, is a daily paper conducted in the interest of the ruling party. Both these journals enjoy a liberal patronage and have a wide circulation in southeastern Nebraska. The hotels are: The Perkins House, where the traveler receives good attention. It is a handsome three-story brick structure containing about 70 rooms. The City Hotel also does a good business. There are several other public houses doing a good business. Church facilities are ample, the following denominations having houses of worship: Lutheran, Rev. Jno. Frank, pastor; Catholic, Rev. T. J. Carney, Pastor; Methodist, Rec. W. B. Alexander, pastor; Christian, Rev. G. B. Mullis, pastor; Episcopal, H. B. Burgess, pastor, and Presbyterian, J. T. Baird, pastor. The secret societies having organized bodies here are: Plattsmouth Lodge, No. 6, A. F. & A. M., Niobrara Chapter, No 3, R. A. M.; Mount Zion Commandry, No 5. K. T: Platte Encampment, No 3, I.O.O. F.; Knights of Honor, No 1043, and McConihe Post, No 45, G.A.R.