Cherry County NEGenWeb
Project © 2000-2011
No unauthorized commercial use
may be made of this material
© 2000-2011 DJH
Location: 1 7/10 miles southwest of the Robert Curtis Ranch.
Section 7, Range 36, Township 27.
The earliest burial by the stones marked is Mary Cotton Hauge in 1892.
There are eleven marked graves with stones. Some have cement footings where 2
or 3 are buried in a family. Most are baby graves. There are many unmarked
graves which probably had wood slab like stones and have rotted away.
There was a Sunday rodeo held north and east of this cemetery. Two men were
riding to it on horseback and begin arguing, and one shot the other. He
buried him there just under the sod and later two men came back with him and
dug up the dead man and placed him in a wooden box. They buried him and put
up a wooden marker. That was the begenning of the Curtis Cemetery.
There is also a Mexican man and baby buried in this cemetery but their names
There is also another grave on Curtis`s south ranch where a women is buried
but the date and name are unknown.
This information contributed by Marian Dowing.