Alma Junction: St Joe, Grand Island
& Burlington RR Station
Annandale: Post Office from 1879 'till 1881.
Four states have towns/cities named Annandale: MN, NJ, NY & VA.
Clay Center [county
seat]: Altitude is 1,781 ft. It was founded in 1879 to settle a county
seat dispute. In 1918 the $100,000 courthouse was built. An incubator factory
operated and flourished from 1920 to 1925. Post Office at first named Marsall.
There's quite a history in the dispute to move the county seat here in
Davis: Name changed from Dilworth in 1877,
in honor of a local settler.
Deweese: Named for a James W. Deweese,
Attorney for the Burlington Railroad. Mr. Deweese was a resident
of Lincoln where he died. Deweese Post Office has the distinction
of being the only one by that name in the United States.
Dilworth: Named for C. J. Dilworth,
Nebraska Attorney General. Name later changed to Davis.
Eden: Name was changed to Edgar.
Edgar: The town
of Edgar was named for the son of local pioneer, Ed Graham. Town
was previously named Eden.
Eldon: There was never a post office here,
but a general store was opened in 1889 by William Stockham. It was
also a railway station on the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad.
Eldora: Possibly the railroad name for
Eldorado: The name is Spanish and means
"gilded" or "golden". The soil around the town-site has a yellowish
cast, hence the name.
This town was originally named White Elm. When the name was later
changed to Frankfort, it was discovered that a town of this name already
existed in the state. The town was then changed to Fairfield.
This name was given the to the town in accordance with the railroad's alphabetical
Flickville: Former railroad station
in Adams Co., was moved to Clay Co. Named for Joseph Flick.
Frankfort: Early name for Fairfield.
Originally named White Elm.
Georgetown: Original name of Glenvil.
Originally named Georgetown. It was given the nickname Dogtown because
it had more dogs than citizens. When the name was first changed,
it was spelled Glenville. At the time, there were at least ten other
towns in the United States with this name. The post office here received
such large quantities of missent mail, the spelling was changed to Glenvil.
The name was given to the town by the railroad in accordance with its alphabetical
Greenberry: The original name of Ong.
Named for Greenberry L. Fort, a prominent land owner in the area.
Named after Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Name
given by officials of the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad Co.,
using its alphabetical naming system.
town dates back to around 1878. The name was transferred from an
old town in Adams Co. It was given the name by the railroad using
its alphabetical system, presumably in reference to its location.
Joong: Original name of Greenberry.
Liberty Farm: No. 8 Pony
Express station in nebraska.
Liberty Farms: Post office
was established in 1871 and discontinued in 1874.
Ludlow: Original name of Trumbull.
Marshall: Post office established in
1873 and moved to Clay Center in 1879.
Ong: Originally named Greenberry.
Ong was platted on 22 August 1886 and named in honor of Judge J. E. Ong
who owned the land on which the town was located.
Saronville: A Swedish Lutheran minister,
Rev. Haterius, named the local church Saron, after a small village in Sweden.
When the post office was established, it was named after the church.
A post office was established here in 1870. The first settlement
in the vicinity was made on June 8, 1864. The town received its name
because of numerous water springs in the area. (In the United States
postal guide, Springranch appears as one word. On the railroad maps
as Spring Ranch.)
1,682 ft. Sutton was named for Sutton, Massachusetts. Once the seat of
Clay County, it is the oldest and largest[?] town in the county. Most of
the early settlers were Russian-German peasants.
Sweden: Original name of Verona.
Trumbull: Named in honor of a Burlington
Railroad official. Post office name changed from Ludlow.
Verona: The name was changed to Verona
from Sweden in 1884. It was named in honor of the Veronica family
that lived in the area and played an important part in the develpment of
White Elm: Original name of
town which was later changed to Frankfort and then to Fairfield.