Search billions of records on

Colfax Co. - Peeking (Feb 1931) NEGenWeb Project
PEEKING INTO THE PAST (February, 1931)
By The Colfax County Press
Colfax County, Nebraska

The Colfax County Press publishes a weekly column entitled Peeking into the Past, which is comprised of articles taken from earlier Colfax County Press files, written by Helen C. Evans. A special thank you to the Colfax County Press for allowing me to reprint those articles! The following are selections from that column:

February 5, 1931 - reprinted July 4, 2001

The Clarkson board of education held a meeting and among the disposal of various business matters, unanimously re-elected C.H. Madden, as superintendent of the local school for the next term. His salary has been fixed at $2200 and he was given two weeks' time in which to make his acceptance.
    This is Mr. Maddens' first year as head of the Clarkson schools and his work has been found fully satisfactory.
    Owing to the late hour, the meeting was adjourned to February 17th, when the board expects to complete the selection of the other members of the teaching force.

F.J. Miller has been engaged in the furniture, jewelry and undertaking business in Clarkson for twenty-five years and in order to commemorate the event, Mr. Miller has decided to put on a sale in which real bargains are being offered to the public.
    Mr. Miller is one of the leading furniture men in this section of the state and through his pleasant ways of doing business, he has succeeded splendidly in his business venture. Through his wonderful buying facilities he has always been able to give his patrons the very best of values.
    In this big 25th anniversary sale, he is offering bargains never before heard of and he has a very large stock to choose from. The sale opens today and continues through the entire month of February.

February 5, 1931 - reprinted July 11, 2001

Frank Vidlak, assistant cashier of the Clarkson State Bank, is named as one of the winners in the Movietest conducted by the Omaha Bee-News and was awarded a cash prize of $25.00. The first prize was $1000 cash and was won by a woman from St. Joseph, Missouri.

Once again we record the death of one of the oldest pioneers of Saline County, when we record the passing of Mrs. Anna Kupka Kolarik, for this worthy settler came to the county before Crete became either a town or a city. Her former home was at Manitowoc, in the state of Wisconsin, at which place she was born on September 24, 1859. When she was a girl of nine years of age, she came with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Martin Kupka from Wisconsin and settled on a homestead two miles southeast of where the city of Crete now stands.
    The journey from Wisconsin was made by caravan over the prairie because the railway had not reached this city at that time. All the hardships of pioneer life were experienced by these settlers and as the result of hard work and faithful application they established a fine home in the growing state of Nebraska.
    It was in 1876 that Anna Kupka was married to Vaclav Frank Kolarik, and they settled in this city for one year after their marriage. Mr. Kolarik was employed on the Burlington Railway and their work required that they reside in Lincoln for a couple of years, after which they returned to Crete where they remained until their death.
    Mr. Vaclav Kolarik died on November 27, 1915, and his widow followed him into the great beyond on January 23, 1931, at the age of seventy-two years. Nine children were born to them, two of whom died in infancy, and a son, Vance, who died April 3, 1927. The six living children are: Joe Kolarik of Crete; Mrs. Jack Ballard of Fresno, California; Miss Carrie A. Kolarik of Northport, Long Island, New York; Mrs. Ralph Reid of Grand Island; Mrs. Fred Kolouch of Schuyler; Mrs. W.J. Kavan of Clarkson. Ten grandchildren mourn the loss of a great-grandmother. Five brothers are living who are saddened by the death of their only sister. They are: John Kupka, Frank Kupka, and James Kupka of Crete; Joe Kupka, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; and Anton Kupka of Schuyler, Nebraska.
    Mrs. Anna Kolarik was ill for about one year but it was during the last three weeks that she became seriously ill resulting in her death.
    Funeral services were conducted at the home, 390 West 17th Street, by the Reverend Harold Cooper and Mr. F.J. Sadilek, and interment was at Riverside Cemetery.

We wonder how many of our people have stopped to figure what possibilities we have in the vicinity of Clarkson and in the state of Nebraska in particular. Years ago, the pioneer settlers of this great commonwealth took pride in planting plenty of trees on their premises, but of late years this matter was sadly neglected. Trees planted thirty to forty years ago have now grown to considerable proportions and are proving profitable to the present-day owners.
    Over at the A.C. Fajman farm east of town, several hundred trees have been cut down recently for fuel and lumber purposes. J.M. Bukacek, who has had considerable experience in sawing lumber, has opened a saw mill in the south part of town and he is now engaged in cutting the trees into lumber of various dimensions. Many of the big trees are being converted into lumber measuring over 36 inches in diameter and are furnishing some very good lumber.
    Mr. Bukacek has a good lumber sawing equipment propelled by a steam engine and is able to cut several thousand feet of lumber per day. Many farmers are taking advantage of this and are bringing cottonwood and ash trees to his place and are having them converted into lumber. Had tree planting been kept up for all these years, we could have grown enough trees in this community to supply this entire section with rough lumber, and this could have developed into a very profitable industry.
    The planting of trees should again be encouraged or otherwise in a few years to come at the rate they are being cut down for fuel purposes, this country will become treeless. There never was a more opportune time to plant trees than now. Work is scarce and a few trees planted now will become profitable within the next few years.
    Mr. Bukacek completed the cutting of several thousand feet of lumber for John F. Musil from trees planted fifty-three years ago by his father on the old Musil farm southwest of Clarkson. Mr. Musil, Sr. also had the opportunity to assist in cutting the lumber.

Jos. Mundil, well-known fire insurance writer of Clarkson, presented Jos. Stoklasa with a draft in the sum of $4,000 in payment of the loss of the Stoklasa farm home west of Clarkson which was recently destroyed by fire. The claim had been properly adjusted to the full satisfaction of Mr. Stoklasa.

The market price of hogs declined 35 cents. Eggs are now bringing locally 11 cents a dozen. All grain prices are down. Poultry prices also took a slump. All farm prices are effected according to today's market report. The price of cream at the Clarkson Creamery at this writing is still 25 cents, however, due to yesterday's catastrophe in the Chicago butter market, it is very likely that the crash will again force the price of butterfat down. Were it not for the Clarkson Creamery local farmers would now be receiving much less for their cream.

A family reunion was held at the W.J. Kavan home with [sic] the following relatives and friends were entertained: Dr. and Mrs. F.G. Kolouch and son, Freddie, Schuyler; Lad Bukacek, Schuyler; Mr. and Mrs. Lee Gustavsen, McCook; Mrs. Elizabeth Scott and Jos. Kolarik, Crete; and Miss Carrie Kolarik of North Port, Long Island, New York. Miss Kolarik is a sister of Mesdames Kavan and Kolouch, and she was called to Crete by the death of her mother. Miss Kolarik is head nurse in one of the North Port hospitals and she will return east to resume her work.

February 5, 1931 - reprinted July 18, 2001

Gus Mudrow of this city was at Schuyler attending to business matters. While there he visited the Ford garage conducted by Eacker & Reinecke, where he met with serious injury. Mr. Mudrow walked into the rear of the room in quest of a toilet and fell into the basement. His view was obstructed by darkness and he stepped directly in the hole and fell to the basement floor. He suffered a fractured wrist and besides this he sustained numerous painful bruises on his face and body. He was taken to a Schuyler physician who dressed his wounds. Gus is badly disfigured and in spite of all is lucky that he is among the living.

Mrs. Jos. Kunhart and her daughter, Emma, accompanied by Mrs. Emil Kunhart and Wm. Hledik were at Omaha visiting with Emil Kunhart who is confined in one of the city hospitals and receiving treatment for a stomach ailment. Latest reports from the hospital are to the effect that Emil is feeling much better since he began taking the treatments.

We are in receipt of the information that our old friend, Ed M. Arnold, who is spending the winter at Phoenix, Arizona, has been confined in a hospital at Phoenix, for the past three weeks suffering with terrible carbuncles and it is said that he will be forced to remain there for at least two more weeks. Despite the fact that his suffering has been reduced considerably, the attending physician states that Mr. Arnold's condition is still critical. Hospital attaches are very cautious and fear infection.

Clarkson Market: Wheat, 60c; Corn, 44c; Oats, 30c; Hogs, $6.90; Butterfat, 25c; Eggs, 11c; Hens, 14c; Springs, 14c.

A host of friends and relatives gathered at the home of William Molacek, north of town, to celebrate his birthday. William was greatly surprised when he saw the throng, but never-the-less, he enjoyed a splendid evening as did the others. The evening was spent playing cards, conversation and dancing. Music for the occasion was furnished by Steve Kafka of Wisner and William Svoboda of Leigh. An appetizing lunch was served in the evening.
    The guests were: Mr. and Mrs. Joe P. Bos and family, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Janda, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hamsa Jr., Miss Cecila Burke, Mr. and Mrs. John Svoboda of Wisner, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Svoboda of Leigh, Henry Janda, Mr. and Mrs. Adolf Molacek and family, Mr. and Mrs. Steve Kafka and family of Wisner, Mr. and Mrs. Adolf Hamsa, Misses Tillie and Lucy Svoboda of Wisner, Mrs. Vincent Molacek and family, William Svoboda, Joe Svoboda, Jr., Harold Svoboda, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hamsa, Sr., and son, Joe.

Dr. Kavan presented Mr. and Mrs. James Kuchera with an eight and one-half pound baby girl. Mr. and Mrs. Kuchera, at present, reside with Mr. Kuchera's mother in the northeast part of town.

Mrs. Emil Folda spent several days in Omaha, visiting with her mother, Mrs. F.J. Sadilek, of Wilber, who is confined in one of the city hospitals. Mrs. Sadilek is reported to be quite critically ill and it was found necessary to make a blood transfusion which was given by Mrs. Folda.

We acknowledged a brief visit from Mr. and Mrs. Edward Sudik, prominent residents of the central part of the county. They were accompanied on the trip by their daughter, Lucille, and from here they proceeded into the vicinity northwest of Leigh, where they visited at the Frank Hledik home.

Ernest Mlnarik, who had been quite sick with an attack of flu, is now again on the mend.

The six-month-old child of Mr. and Mrs. Jos. Hejtmanek is receiving medical attention from Dr. Kavan for an attack of broncho pneumonia.

The many friends of Mrs. Fr. Bartak, Sr., will be glad to learn that Mrs. Bartak, who had been quite critically ill, is making satisfactory improvements, and hopes are being entertained for her early recovery.

If you want good radio reception, have your tubes tested by Ignatz Powolny. This service is free.

Lumir Tobias, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Tobias, suffered a nervous breakdown and was taken to a Lincoln hospital for treatment. We are informed that Lumir's condition is greatly improved.

The Clarkson student body attending the university at Lincoln, spent the week-end with home folks and returned to the capital city to begin their second semester at the university.

Mrs. Jos. Kutin and daughter, Marilyn, returned home after a few days' visit at Lincoln.

The little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Emerson Cernin swallowed a tooth-pick which was successfully removed by Dr. Kavan and the little patient is suffering no ill effects.

February 5, 1931 - reprinted July 25, 2001

Miss Sylvia Janecek arrived here from Omaha for a visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jos. V. Janecek.

Mr. and Mrs. Pete Walla took possession of the buildings on the former Palik eighty south of Clarkson where they will make their home.

Miss Julia Hradec is nursing a serious infection on the thumb of her left hand and is receiving medical attention from Dr. Kavan.

The Chas. F. Houfek farm sale drew a very large crowd and everything sold well.

Jos. P. Lopour seriously crushed the big toe on his right foot when a large steel barrel fell on the member. The injury was attended to by Dr. Kavan.

Relatives and friends of Mr. and Mrs. Jos. L. Dytrych residing southeast of Madison, tendered them with a farewell party at their farm home. The evening was devoted to various entertainment, including a dance, after which a fine lunch was served. Mr. and Mrs. Dytrych are making arrangements to move onto the Rehak farm west of Clarkson.

Chas. L. Suchan, who had spent about ten days in St. Joseph, Missouri, visiting the Anchor Serum Co.'s plant, returned home. Mr. Suchan tells us that he was greatly astonished to see the large serum plant which covers over ten acres of land in addition to the acreage used for hogs of which they constantly keep over 10,000 head.

Mr. and Mrs. Rudolf Pytlik returned from their prolonged visit in Oregon, where they were called owing to the death of Mrs. Pytlik's father, Frank Dvorak. They had a pleasant trip, although most of the time they were in Oregon it was raining.

Jos. F. Pimper, Howells, who seriously burned his eyes, returned from the Fremont hospital where he was receiving medical treatment. We are glad to state that his eye-sight will not be impaired, although his right eye is still considerably weak and more time will be necessary before the final outcome can be told.

James Krafta, drayman of Clarkson, was in Howells making a delivery of lime from here to Clarkson where they ran out of the material.

Anton Janata and family of Howells made a trip to the Anton Novak farm northwest of Leigh, where they spent the day visiting.

Thirty-five farmers responded to the call issued by the local Farmers Union for a meeting at the Community Club, to decide on the price to be paid farm labor during the ensuing year. After some discussion it was decided to pay experienced men $45.00 per month and room and board and inexperienced men will be paid $40.00 per month with room and board.
    Considering that clothing and other wearing apparel had decreased in price and the wage to be paid is nearly in line with that of previous years.--Lyons Mirror-Sun.

Alois Bogner, an early day resident of Howells, and for the past eight years residing near Crofton, passed away in death following complications incidental to old age. The funeral was held at Crofton and the following from here were in attendance: Mr. and Mrs. Pete Bogner, Mr. and Mrs. George Limbach and son, Joseph; Mrs. Pete Limbach, Leo and Nick Bogner; Mrs. Hesse, Mr. and Mrs. E.A. Stangel, Mrs. Conrad Knipping and Jos. Becker. Besides his wife, the deceased is survived by one daughter and seven sons, Otto, Anton, Emil, Albert, Alfonse, Bruno and Lawrence.

Mrs. Frank J. Sindelar, who with her husband moved to Howells a short time ago, is seriously ill at the family home in the east of town, suffering with an acute attack of gall trouble. At this writing she is showing slight improvement.

While cutting wood with a circular saw on the Ernest Kersten farm north of Howells, John Renner had his left hand caught in the saw. The injury was so serious that it was necessary for Dr. Novak to amputate the middle finger.

Mrs. John Hyland and daughter of Leigh were Clarkson visitors and while here paid their renewal to this family delight.

The annual ice harvest is on in Stanton County with activities centered about the Loe and Wilson lakes where the best quality of ice is found. The ice at Loe's averages from 15 to 17 inches thick while at Wilson's these measurements are cut to 11 and 12. The ice at both lakes is clear and solid. Ice at the Goetsch lake is too thin and honeycombed to be stored so many farmers east of Stanton are worrying about their summer's supply of coolness.

Mrs. Victor Wacha, Miss Stenicka, Bobby Odvarka, Mrs. Frank Novak, Mrs. Kucera and John, Mrs. Frank Basta and Janet, Mrs. Brabec and Mrs. Hanel and children were visitors in the kindergarten room.

Frank Tomka of Dodge is again able to be up and around following the injury to his head, which he received when he slipped on the icy walk adjoining Bicak's store and struck his head against the corner of the building. The fall inflicted a deep cut in his scalp and he was rendered unconscious. He was carried to Dr. Srb's office where he regained consciousness, but it was necessary to take several stitches to close the cut on his head. After being confined to bed a few days he is now much improved.

W.B. Sadilek of Schuyler had urgent business in Lincoln and made the trip with Freddie Kolouch in his airplane. They were in the air just thirty-two minutes between the landing field of Schuyler, before they landed at Lincoln, maintaining a speed of about 120 miles per hour. Mr. Sadilek is much more enthusiastic over air cruising with Freddie at the sticks than he is with Dr. Kolouch as pilot.

February 10 [12?], 1931 - reprinted September 19, 2001

At the naturalization hearing held at Schuyler before Judge Spear of Fremont, eight Colfax County people were granted naturalization papers by J.M. McWhorter, government examiner. The following were granted permission to become citizens of this great commonwealth:
    Joseph James Bultas, Schuyler; Frank Charipar, Clarkson; Mrs. Marie Done Charipar, Clarkson; Mrs. Anna Mohnsen, Howells; Jos. Lauda, Jr., Clarkson; Bohumil Kucera, Clarkson; Mrs. Bridget Costello, Rogers; Vaclav Prokupek, Schuyler.

Mrs. Harry Chronister, 30 of Schuyler, passed away in St. Catherine's Hospital in Omaha. Death was due to peritonitis. Her husband was just recently appointed postmaster at Schuyler.

A double wedding which will be of interest to the relatives and friends of the Jos. J. Podliska family took place in Madison County. Two sons of Mr. and Mrs. Podliska, who formerly resided in this territory, were united in marriage to the Pospisil sisters, daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Pospisil of near Kalamazoo. Miss Mabel M. Pospisil became the wife of Frank Podliska and Miss Minnie O. Pospisil became the wife of Adolph Podliska. A dance in their honor was held at the Z.C.B.J. Hall at Kalamazoo, near Lindsay.

Earl Rosicky, cashier of the Farmers State Bank at Lynch, spent the weekend visiting with Clarkson relatives.

A fashionable and very pretty pre-Lenten wedding occurred at the Holy Trinity Church at Heun. The principals of the happy event were Miss Agnes L. Kudera and Bohous A. Cada, who set sail on the matrimonial sea. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Anthony Folta in the presence of a small gathering of relatives and friends.
    The happy couple was attended by Miss Tillie Houfek, cousin of the bride, and Stanley Cada, brother of the groom. The raiment of the bride consisted of a beautiful white satin dress fashioned with tight fitting bodice, cap sleeves, ankle-length and flare skirt. Lace was used around the uneven hemline with ruffles of lace on the side. The bride also wore a coronet style veil the length of her dress. Her bridal costume was completed with white slippers and the shower bouquet which she carried in her hand was made up of white roses and pink sweet peas.
    The bridesmaid was attired in a pretty ankle length sleeveless dress of apricot color satin with fitted bodice and double flare skirt. She also wore blond slippers to match her dress. Her favorite flowers was a bouquet of carnations and sweet peas.
    The marriage of this worthy young couple links together two highly respectable families of this community. The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Kudera of Wilson Precinct. She is a winsome young lady and is well prepared to assume her household responsibilities.
    The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Rudolf Cada, pioneer Midland Precinct residents. He is an excellent young man and one of our progressive farmers. He has had a good training and has a bright future.
    A reception was held in honor of the newly wedded couple at the home of the bride's parents which was attended by only the near relatives of the contracting couple.
    Mr. and Mrs. Cada will establish their home on the groom's farm southeast of Clarkson.

A group of friends gathered at the James C. Malena farm west of Clarkson where they enjoyed a spirited stag party in commemoration of the fact that James was to forsake his bachelorhood in a few days. He pulled the stunt on Monday of this week. Various diversion prevailed at the "party" among which the main feature was a lecture on "Married Life," delivered by Albert O'Brien of Clarkson.
    'Tis needless to say that the boys had a good time. As a token of their friendshp the boys presented James with a beautiful painting which will adorn the walls of his home for many years to come. A "swell" lunch consisting of gulas and wieners was enjoyed after the evening's frolic.
    Those in attendance were: Gerald Houfek, Frank Houfek, Jr., Lambert Houfek, Fred Schlueter, Joe Karel, Albert O'Brien, Frank Podany, Chas. J. Podany, Frank Petricek, John Podany, Jr., Ad. Malena.

F.J. Miller, Clarkson, and Geo. Humlicek, Dodge, returned from Omaha where [they] attended the two-day session of the Joint Conference on business Procedure. The Conference is a cooperative movement within the funeral profession to improve still further the standards of service to the public and to install better business methods.

Fayman-Vacin Auto Co. delivered a New Ford Standard Couple to Felix Mikes, a new Ford Victoria Coupe to Rudolf Hamsa and a new Ford Fordor Sedan to John F. Mastny.
    Rudolf Hamsa, Jas. Hamsa and A.J. Fayman were at Omaha and brought back a new Ford Victoria Coupe, for Fayman-Vacin Auto Co.
    Fayman-Vacin Auto Co. received a carload of new Ford cars.

Word comes to us that Dr. F.J. Kalal, who has been located for some time at Pierce, practicing medicine, will soon move to Creston. Dr. Kalas is a former Clarkson physician and is well known here.

Ernest Mlnarik, who was taken to an Omaha hospital is as yet a very sick man and his condition is quite alarming. Ernest was taken ill several weeks ago with the flu and he was well on the road to recovery when he suffered a relapse and his case remains a mystery to the attending physicians. Mrs. Mlnarik was called to her husband's bedside.

February 10 [12?], 1931 - reprinted September 26, 2001

The Clarkson board of education convened in a meeting for the purpose of selecting the teaching force for the ensuing term. The entire staff with but one exception was re-elected.
    Various perplexing question entered the arranging of salaries for the instructors and due to the fact that the country is now going through a severe readjustment period, it was decided to slightly cut the salaries of teachers for the next school term.
    The reductions range from $5.00 to $20.00 per month. The majority of the teachers were re-elected with only a $5.00 decrease. In making the reduction the board took into consideration the fact that practically all lines of business have been radically effected by recent declines and the only salvation the board foresaw in trying to keep the school taxes down was to reduce the salaries of the instructors and otherwise hold close vigil over all other expenses.

    We have large quantities of Seed for your farm: White Sweet Clover, $5.70 Bu.; Red Clover, $15.60 Bu.; Alsike Clover, $14.40 Bu.; Grimm Alfalfa, $19.80 Bu.; Montana Alfalfa, $17.40 Bu.; Dakota 12 Alfalfa, $16.20 Bu. Free Samples. Free Bags. Prepaid Freight on 3 Bushels within 50 miles of Fremont. Yager Seed Co., Fremont, Nebr.

The large gathering of friends and relatives that assembled at the services held for Jos. Skranka, was a glowing tribute to the memory of the deceased. Mr. Skranka, of whose death The Press made brief mention, departed this life during the early hours following a brief illness. Mr. Skranka had visited relatives in Omaha and while there contracted a severe cold which later developed serious complications and caused his death.
    He was a man of 69 years of age and lived in the vicinity of Clarkson for the past 40 Years. He was born in Nove Hrady, Czechoslovakia, on the 12th day of March, 1862. While in the old country, he was united in marriage to Anna Jilek, which union was blessed with eight children.
    In the Year of 1890, Mr. Skranka and his family left the land of their birth and came to America. Their first home in the new land was in Omaha where Skranka obtained em- ployment in a packing house.
    After a residence of two years, Mr. Skranka purchased an 80-acre tract of land southwest of Clarkson and the family moved into this locality and remained here ever since. Mrs. Skranka preceded her husband in death in 1910.
    Following his wife's death, Mr. Skranka disposed of his old farm and for a while lived at Omaha, Schuyler and Clarkson. Two years ago he purchased the Frank Juva farm south of Clarkson where he passed away.
    He will be remembered as an honest and kindhearted man. He was always known to have been a law-abiding citizen and through his pleasant ways made many friends.
    His death is mourned by five daughters, namely, Marie, wife of Joseph Prazan; Rose, wife of Adolf Cernin, Catherine, wife of Jerry Hegr; Anna, wife of Emil Nebola; Martha, wife of Wm. Vavra.
    Three children preceded their father in death. The deceased also leave[s] a brother in Bohemia.
    The funeral was held with services at the local Z.C.B.J Lodge in which order the deceased had held membership for many years.

February 7th, 1931, proved to be an eventful day in life's journey of two young people when Miss Viola Ann Suchy became the bride of John Blazek, of Omaha. The beautiful ceremony took place at the Bohemian Brethren Church, Rev. L. Kvetensky officiating. Mr. Fritz Carlson, well-known baritone soloist sang, "I Love You Truly", and "At Dawning", and played the wedding marches.
    The bride was attired in a lovely white crepe gown adorned with rhinestones, fashioned in the prevailing mode. Her veil was caught in a cap of lace and held by orange blossoms. Her bouquet consisted of white carnations and lily-of-the-valley.
    Josephene Suchy, sister of the bride, served as bridesmaid and wore a changeable rose taffeta frock and carried a bouquet of pink carnations with a touch of blue.
    Ruthie Hamernik, also the bride's sister, who strewed the rose petals from a silver basket, and Rosie Blazek, the groom's sister, who acted as trainbearer, both wore peach colored taffeta dresses.
    After the ceremony a bountiful reception was held at the home of the bride's mother at which over 75 guests were present.
    The happy couple will make their home in Omaha.
    The bride is a daughter of Mrs. Josephine Hamernik, who before locating in Omaha several years ago, was a resident of Clarkson. Mrs. Blazek is a refined young lady and she still retains a large circle of friends in her old home town who wish her a happy matrimonial voyage.

Dr. Kavan was in Schuyler where he assisted with an operation performed at the Schuyler Hospital upon Mrs. Fr. R. Buresh of near Leigh for the removal of her appendix. She withstood the ordeal very nicely and is now improving satisfactorily.

Clarkson Markets: Wheat, 60c; Corn, 42c; Oats, 30c; Hogs, $6.60; Butterfat, 19c; Eggs, 11c; Hens, 14c; Stags, 12c.

Frank J. Svik, local drayman, seriously injured his nose and face when he fell from a load of lumber. In the fall, he sustained a fracture of his nose and the injury had kept him from his dray work for a few days. He is now back at his job after having received medical attention from Dr. Kavan.

February 26, 1931 - reprinted October 24, 2001

Ernest Wiese, of Dodge, suffered an injury to his back when a 250-pound hog fell upon him as he was attempting to load it into a trailer. The hog was crated and as he tried to push the crate onto the trailer, it moved forward and he lost his footing and fell receiving the full weight of the hog and crate as it fell from the trailer. At present he is recovering from the bruises and is suffering no serious effect.

Friday, the 13th, proved lucky for Lambert Caspar, of Dodge, who upset with a Ford coupe and escaped without injury and with little damage to his car. To avoid colliding with a truck driven by James Mikes, on the road south of John Sellhorst farm. He made too short a turn which caused his car to slide in the ditch and upset. It happened on a short hill and the drivers failed to see each other until reaching the top.

Pete Walla purchased a brand new Chevrolet truck through Fajman Motor Co. and established a new truck line in Clarkson. He will do all kinds of long and short distance hauling. Pete is a popular young man and no doubt, will have his full share of business. His headquarters in town will be at the Holoubek Service Station and his home is on the former James Palik farm two miles south of Clarkson.

The Jos. Dytrych family, who had been living on the Emit Petr farm northwest of Leigh, moved on the Rehak farm southwest of Clarkson. Mr. and Mrs. Jos. Stanek, who occupied the Rehak farm, moved onto the Vavrina forty south of Clarkson.

A pretty pre-lenten wedding was that of Miss Viola Folda, Howells, and Ed. Mlnarik, Dodge, which took place at the St. John's Church in Howells.
    Promptly at nine o'clock, the bridal party entered the church to the strains of the wedding march, played by Lumir Hampl and took their places at the altar. Immediately following the marriage rites the nuptial mass was read with special music by organist Koza and a solo by Miss Margaret Palik.
    The bride wore a navy blue tailored suit with blouse of egg shell satin. Her hat, slippers and gloves matched her blouse and her only jewel was a sapphire and pearl necklace, the gift of the groom. Her corsage was of yellow and pink tea roses and sweet peas.
    Miss Martha Lodl, a close friend of the bride was her only attendant. She wore a tailored suit of celestial blue with blouse of egg shell satin with matching hat, gloves and slippers. Her corsage was similar to the brides and a pearl and crystal neclace a gift of the bride was her only jewel.
    The groom and his brother, Wm. Mlnarik who served as bestman, wore dark suits.
    Following the ceremony at the church, a reception was held at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. R.B. Folda, in Howells.
    The home was attractive in the bride's colors of blue and white. A large wedding cake ornamented in candy flowers and topped witha miniature bride and groom formed the center piece for the dining table.
    In the evening, a reception dance was given at the Reznicek Hall.
    The bride, who has been a frequent visitor here, is a charming and popular young lady, a graduate of the Howells High School. Since graduation she has been employed in a drug store at Howells.
    The groom is a graduate of our high school and a favorite member of the Dodge Band. He is an industrious farmer, farming the home Mlnarik place, southwest of Dodge, where the young couple will make their home.

Mr. and Mrs. Jos. B. Novotny and their family, residing on the Mary Karel farm in Midland precinct, were tendered with a farewell party. The evening was devoted to various entertainment and much joy prevailed until a late hour.
    The family is now moving onto a forty-acre farm two miles southwest of Leigh, which they purchaed recently.
    Those present at the party were: Mrs. Marie Toman, Mr. and Mrs. Anton Korecky, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Korecky and son, Stanley, Mr. and Mrs. Anton Malena and daughter, Helen; Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Swanson and son, Richard; Mr. and Mrs. Jos. B. Novotny and daughters, Adella and Angela; Misses Tillie Korecky, and Emily Bos, Bessie Novotny and Anna Novotny, Messrs. Edward Korecky, Jerry Bos, Edward Dekeree, Art. Dekeree, Joe Novotny, Frank Novotny and Stanley Novotny.

W.J. Moore has let a contract to Lad Hanel for the erection of an 80-foot addition to the rear of his store. The structure will be constructed of brick and tile, and all the building material was sold by the Farmers Union of this city. When completed, Mr. Moore will have once as much floor space and this will enable him to increase his stock of merchandise.

Clarkson Market: Wheat, 60c; Corn, 42c; Oats, 30c; Hogs, $6.40; Butterfat, 24c; Eggs, 12c; Hens, 14c; Stags, 12c.

The sale of the Ben Fix farm, eight miles north of Schuyler, drew only a small crowd of prospective buyers and no bid was received during the sale. After the sale, Lad Brichacek purchased the farm at $120 per acre. He certainly got a bargain.

A deal was recently completed by which the Breitkreutz brothers, Irwin and Earl, become the owners of one of the choicest farms in this vicinity, the former John Nickelson farm of 129 acres, located two miles north of Wisner. The price, $230 per acre, is close to pre-war levels and is close the highest paid since the war.

February 26, 1931 - reprinted October 31, 2001

Dog Holds Coon in Tree for 13 Hours
    Carl McReynolds, living near West Point, owns what he considers the most valuable coon dog in the United States.
    Recently McReynolds with several friends decided to try their luck coon hunting along the banks of the Elkhorn River.
    After several hours of hunting the party became very much discouraged because they were unable to find any coons.
    After they had decided to go home McReynolds found that his hunting dog was missing. The dog did not appear in spite of frantic calls and close search for him in the woods that night.
    The following morning McReynolds made a contined search for the dog. The dog was found standing guard at a tree into which he had chased a raccoon the night before and would not leave his post until his master had come to capture the quarry. Thirteen hours had elapsed from the time the dog was last seen in the woods the night before until he was found the next day. The dog, it is said, was hoarse from barking and weak from the long wait.
    The raccoon was captured alive and was taken to the home of Leo Wortman.

Fire of unknown origin destroyed the square house on the Rudolph Hobza farm, eight miles southwest of Clarkson. The residents of Clarkson were awakened from their slumbers at 3:00 o'clock in the morning by the fire siren, following a call received at the local telephone office from the Hobza farm asking for the assistance of the fire department.

Return to Colfax County Home Page | More Miscellaneous
[an error occurred while processing this directive]