Search billions of records on

Colfax Co. - Looking Back (1945) NEGenWeb Project
Looking Back At The World (1945)
By The Leigh World
Colfax County, Nebraska

The Leigh World publishes a weekly column entitled Looking Back at the World, which is comprised of articles taken from earlier Leigh World files. A special thank you to the Leigh World for allowing me to reprint those articles. The following are selections from that column:

January 5, 1945 - republished June 24, 1998
    Miss Helen Hefti left for Hopkinsville, Kentucky, where she will become the bride of Sgt. John S. Stanley.

    Miss Elma Alfieri of Los Angeles, California, and Kenneth Tesar of the U. S. Maritime Service, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Tesar, of Denver, former Leigh people, were married in December.

    Sgt. Arnold Neuhaus has advised his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Neuhaus, of his return to the United States after being hospitalized in England following injuries received on the battlefields in France.

    Miss Rae Hoesly of Creston and Ralph L. Ritzen of Fontenelle, were joined in marriage.

    Miss Margaret Gorman and ARM 1/C Fred Gigax were married in the Presbyterian Church at Creston.

January 12, 1945 - republished June 24, 1998
    T/Sgt Marvin E. Held, 22, whose boyhood was spent at Leigh and who was reported missing in action, lost his life in the English Channel on the morning of D-Day, according to a dispatch from the War Department to his wife, Mrs. Joan Held, Grand Island, received in December.
    ... Sgt. Held, son of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Held, was born October 11, 1922, at Leigh. He attended Zion Lutheran parochial school until the family moved to Grand Island in 1935. He graduated from Grand Island High School in 1940, and worked in the dairy until he entered the armed service in February 1943. He went overseas in March 1944.
    Surviving are his wife, Joan, and daughter, Marilyn Jo, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Held, two brothers, Sgt. Melvin Held, overseas in the Army Air Force, and William Held, Grand Island, two sisters, Mrs. Roma Hardekopf, Grand Island, and Mrs. Wilhelmine Wiese, with her husband at Fort Worth, Texas.

    The registrants listed below have been selected for pre-induction physical examination and have been ordered to report at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas:
    Hilger Robert Schaad, Leigh; Glenn Peter Elden Botsch of Leigh; John D. Dvorak; Norman Joseph Herink of Leigh; Vaclav Jindra of Clarkson; Adolph Studnicka, Clarkson; Milo Joe Vodehnal, Clarkson; Raymond Gerd Thalken, Clarkson; Thomas C. Chudo-melka, Jr., Clarkson; Joseph R. Maliha, Clarkson; Thomas R. Trojan (volunteer) Clarkson.

    Two soldiers from this territory, Cpl. Norman Muhle and T/Sgt Earl Tedford, both of whom are stationed in the Isle of Saipan, have advised home folks that they have met frequently and find lots of things to talk over. Muhle is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Alroy Muhle and Tedford is a son of Mr. and Mrs. D. E. Tedford.

    Friends of Mrs. Josephine Metheny of Omaha, have been advised that her husband has been "killed in action" in Germany. Mrs. Metheny was formerly Mrs. John Denkinger of Leigh. She is employed in Kilpartricks Store in Omaha at the present time.

    Miss Mary Helen Hogendorn was able to return home from the Methodist Hospital in Omaha where she spent several weeks following an illness with scarlet fever. Her father, Peter Hogendorn, drove down after her. Miss Mary Helen will not continue with her work as a teacher in the Herink district this year. Mrs. Gerald Vasek, who has substituted during her illness, will complete the term.

    Henry Pape, former Creston resident, died in Lincoln on December 26. He was 82 years of age and had been an attendant at the state hospital since 1934. Burial was in the Hooper cemetery where the Pape family lived before locating at Creston.
    Mr. Pape was born in Sheboygan, Michigan, and came to Nebraska in 1898. He engaged in the merchandise business at Genoa, Hooper, and Creston, and moved to Lincoln in 1922.
    Surviving are his wife, Gertrude, two daughters, a sister, and two grandchildren.

March 16, 1945 - republished July 22, 1998
    By terms of a deal, Alva Dykes purchased the Fred Ahrens house for $2,500. The house is known to older residents as the A. L. Scutt house.

    The war has made itself felt with a shocking blow in another of our homes. Word has been received by Mrs. J. A. Schimmelpfenning that her son, Colonel Irwin Schimmelpfenning, died in action on Luzon in the Phillippines. ... His wife and three children live in Burlington, Vermont, at the present.

    Mr. and Mrs. Richard Daniels are the parents of a son born at their home at Walsch, Colorado.

    A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Donald Barrett of Elgin

March 23, 1945 - republished July 22, 1998
    Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Hobel of Chula Vista, California, spent time at Leigh. They were called to the state by the death of Mrs. Hobelís mother, Mrs. Joseph Marinec, 59, of Norfolk. Mrs. Marinec suffered a cerebral hemorrhage and died four hours later.
    Funeral services were held at the Catholic Church in Clarkson with burial in the Clarkson cemetery.
    Surviving are the husband, Karl Marinec; four daughters, Mrs. Irma Indra, Mrs. Mildred Jedlicka, Mrs. Ione Hobel and Miss, Marilyn; one son, Ernest Stodola.

    Miss Delores Fern Engelbart became the bride of Melvin J. Johannes of Columbus in a ceremony read by Rev. Harry Mumm at St. Johnís Church.

    The twin babies of Mr. and Mrs. Victor B. Wolken were christened Darlyn Joye and Daryl Lee by the Rev. Fr. S. Mitera at St. Maryís Church.

    Fred Buss, well known Platte countian, died at his home nine miles north of Columbus. Death was due to a heart affliction from which he suffered for the past few years. Funeral services were held from the home to Christ Lutheran Church with Rev. Martin Borneman delivering the sermon. Burial was in the parish cemetery.
    Mr. Buss was born in Bismark township on December 10, 1873, and spent his entire life there. He was the son of Engelke Buss and Helen Suesens. Following the death of his parents, he and his sister, the late Miss Katherine Buss, who died in February, farmed together. Surviving is one sister, Mrs. Meta Bakenhus of Columbus, four nephews and five nieces.
    Preceding him in death were two sisters, Miss Katherine and Mrs. John bakenhus, and two brothers, a twin, Henry Buss, and John, who died in infancy.

    Funeral services for Mrs. Frank Sedlak, who died at her home in Schuyler, were held at the Wilson Catholic Church. The Rev. Fr. Victor Herman celebrated the requiem high mass.
    Pallbearers were neighbors and friends of long standing, Fred. Jedlicka, Lumir Tuma, George Dvorak, Lumir Horejsi, Frank Janousek, and Adolph Spale. Burial was in the Wilson Cemetery.
    Mrs. Sedlak was Anna Padrons before marriage to Frank Sedlak on August 13, 1907. She was born on a farm in the Wilson precinct on July 21, 1888, and had reached the age of 56 years, seven months and 26 days. With the exception of the past three months which have been spent in Schuyler, Mrs. Sedlak lived her entire life in Wilson precinct.
    Surviving are her husband, Frank Sedlak; one daughter, Mrs. Edwin Cada of Clarkson; two sons, Louis and James of the Wilson community. There are four grandchildren. She leaves five sisters, Mrs. Mary Vondra of Schuyler, Mrs. Frank Juzek of Wood River, Mrs. Emil Divis of Ashland, Mrs. Emil Suchan of Howells, and Mrs. Rudolph Najmon of Council Bluffs, Iowa.

    Despite muddy roads, the public auction of Ed Callies held at the farm near Leigh drew a large crowd. Bidding was spirited and everything sold at a price satisfactory to the owner.

    Mr. and Mrs. Otto Mackenstadt are the parents of a daughter born at the Lutheran Hospital in Columbus. She has been named Vickie Jane.

    George Ogan, 74, long-time resident of Creston died in a nursing home at St. Edward. He had been in poor health. He was born September 9, 1870, in Illinois and came to Nebraska with his parents when he was one year old. He was one of twelve children and lived in Nebraska for 73 years. He was a member of the K-P Lodge.
    Funeral services were held at St. Peterís Church with the Rev. R. L. Jobman officiating. Burial was in the Creston Cemetery.
    In 1909, he went to work for E. T. Graham who had taken a homestead in this section in the same year the Ogan family came to Nebraska. At that time, the Graham ranch consisted of 1,040 acres and the raising of 30 carloads of cattle each year involved a lot of work. George Ogan remained with Mr. Graham for ten years and had complete charge of all the horses on the ranch. He was a man who thoroughly enjoyed the farm life and everything in connection with it and he knew no greater pleasure than in doing a good turn for neighbors and friends. Everyone knew George Ogan and everyone was his friend.
    He is survived by four brothers, Chet of Creston, Marshall and Wyman of Washington and Walter of California; two sisters, Mrs. A. Orkel of Bonesteel, South Dakota and Mrs. Leila Holiday of California. There are also two half-brothers and one half-sister, Forrest Ogan and Vernon Ogan and Mrs. Hilda Hartness living in California.
    He was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters.

    A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Martin Barjenbruch at the Lutheran Hospital in Columbus.

    Mr. and Mrs. Ted Wagner of Genoa are the parents of a son.

March 30, 1945 - republished July 29, 1998
    Mr. and Mrs. Alroy Muhle were complemented by a group of relatives and friends who gathered at their home to join them in observance of the 25th anniversary of their wedding.

    Pfc. Wilfred Hoessel and Cpl. Arthur Weber, two boys from the community who are on overseas duty, recently met in the Philippines. The boys carried one anotherís addresses and had been on the lookout for each other for some time.
    Hoessel is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hoessel and Weber is a son of Mr. and Mrs. O. C. Weber.

    Funeral services for August Borgelt, who died in a Norfolk Hospital, were held from his home near Battle Creek to Battle Creek Heights Lutheran Church. Rev. Theo Harms of Norfolk conducted the service. The remains were brought to Leigh for burial beside his wife who died in 1930.
    The Borgelt family lived near Leigh for several years prior to 1914 when they moved to a farm near Tilden. In recent years, they lived near Battle Creek.
    Mr. Borgelt was born at St. Charles, Missouri, on September 22, 1873, and had reached the age of 71 years, five months, and 21 days. He came with his parents to Cuming County in infancy and grew into manhood on a farm near Dodge. His marriage to Miss Anna Gietzel took place in 1897 and they lived in Stanton County before moving to the Leigh vicinity.
    Surviving are six sons and two daughters, Harry and Elmer of Battle Creek, Fred of Tilden, Pfc. George who recently returned from overseas, Lawrence, with the Armed Forces in Europe, Pfc. Clarence who is stationed in a Mississippi Camp. Daughters are Mrs. Catherine Miller of Newman Grove and Mrs. David Miller of Madison. Surviving also are two brothers, two sisters, and nine grandchildren.

    Mrs. Hugh Martin, formerly of Leigh, died at her home in Seattle, Washington after a lingering illness according to word received by Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Thorpe. Funeral services were held in that city.
    The Martins resided at Leigh when Mr. Martin was manager of the local light plant. Survivng are the husband, two sons, Robert of Salt Lake City, Utah, and William of Seattle. She also leaves two sisters and four brothers.

    Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Jenny passed their 60th wedding anniversary and their children gathered at their home to help in the observance of the occasion.

    A daughter, weighing 8 1/2 pounds, was born to Lt. and Mrs. Chas. J. Heeney at St. Maryís Hospital in Columbus. She has been named Patricia Ann. Mrs. Heeney was Miss Ethel Breunig before her marriage. Lt. Heeney left Kansas for an overseas assignment.

    Hilbert Nebola, who is serving with a tank destroyer battalion, has been promoted from sergeant to staff sergeant and platoon sergeant. He has been on overseas duty for 19 months.

    A fire in the basement of the Ted Osten home did considerable damage. The flames were confined to the basement.

    Mr. and Mrs. Harold Osten are the parents of a son.

    Fritz Brunken received a broken collar bone with his car overturned at the Bodine corner as he was on his way to the fire at the Ted Osten farm. His brother, Ed, riding with him, was uninjured.

April 6, 1945 - republished July 29, 1998
    Mrs. Fanny Hajek died suddenly at Clarkson, a victim of apoplexy. Her lifeless body was discovered on the rear porch of the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ann Husak, by her grandson, Frank Husak, when he returned from school.
    Mrs. Hajek had spent several days at her home at Leigh and had accompanied her daughter, Mrs. Jas. Severa, to Clarkson. Apparently in her usual health, she had called at the home of Mrs. Anton Faiman after dinner and had returned to the Husak home were she was stricken.
    Funeral services were held at the Severa home in Clarkson and burial was in the Clarkson cemetery.
    Mrs. Hajek, maiden name was Fanny Lacina, was born in Bohemia on February 5, 1868. She had reached the age of 77 years, one month, and twenty-eight days. She came to this country with her parents when she was a small child and this community has remained her home.
    She was married to Frank Jira and one daughter, Mary, now of Omaha, was born. After her husbandís death, she was married to Ludwig Hajek and two daughters, Anna and Frances, were born. In addition to her three daughters, she is survived by one sister, Mrs. Jas. Lapour of Leigh and three brothers, Frank Lacina and Dodge, John and Emil Lacina of Clarkson. There are four grandchildren.

    Little opposition was shown in the Village election. Clarence Barjenbruch and Dr. C. D. Eby led in the votes for the members of the school board and the present incumbents, Messrs. Hahn, Glandt and Kumpf, were again named to the Village board.

    Leigh firemen were called to the August Barjenbruch farm to prevent the spread of flames when a chimney burned out.

    Mrs. Elizabeth Goodge received word of the death of her sister-in-law, Mrs. John Dunn, at her home in North Bend. Mrs. Dunn was 74 years old and had been bedfast for several months.
    Funeral rites were held in the Presbyterian Church at North Bend with burial in the cemetery at Purple Cane.
    Mrs. Dunn was Minnie Johnson before her marriage. She was born in Dodge County and in young womanhood taught school in Dodge and Colfax Counties.
    After her marriage to John Dunn, they established their home on a farm north of Rogers which remained their home until they moved to North Bend in 1916.
    Surviving are the husband, two daughters, Mrs. Bertha Williams of Fremont, Mrs. Fern MacWhorter of Dayton, Ohio, and two sons, Wesley, of North Bend, and Chester of Fremont. There are eight grandchildren.

    Lonnie King suffered painful bruises when his arm was drawn into the wringer of a wash machine.

April 20, 1945 - republished August 12, 1998
    Mrs. John Luebs, 62, died at her home in Dannebrog. She had been ill for some months.
    Born near Millard in Douglas County, she was Emma Wiegert before her marriage, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chris Wiegert, Sr. In her girlhood she moved to a farm just south of Leigh. She was married to John Luebs and they moved to Cairo in 1916, later to Dannebrog. Mrs. Luebs visited at Leigh on a number of occasions.
    Surviving are her husband and three grown children, two daughters and a son. She also leaves two brothers, Henry Wiegert of Portland, Oregon, and Chris Wiegert of Leigh. A half-brother, John, resides temporarily at Long Beach, California. She was preceded in death by a half-brother, Charles Wiegert.

    A letter received by Mr. and Mrs. Edw. Franzen from her sister, Mrs. H. P. Herbst, of Ingelwood, California, brought the news of the death of their nephew, Virgil Herbst, who was killed in action in the invasion of Luzon. Virgilís parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. P. Herbst, former Leigh people, now living in Ingelwood, where they were notified by the War Department of their sonís death. There [sic] last letter from him was received on January 24th.
    Virgil was born in Leigh on February 7th, 1920, and reached the age of 25 years and three days. His boyhood was spent here and he graduated from Leigh high School in 1935. Shortly afterward, he accompanied his parents to North Platte and they later moved to California.
    He entered the armed forces early last summer and has served in the Philippines. He is the oldest son in the family and is survived by his wife and nine month old son, his parents, two brothers and one sister. His youngest brother, Ivan, is also in the service of his country. His father is a veteran of World War I.

    Pvt. Norman Olson: A dispatch from the War Deparmtnet to Mrs. Ella Olson advised her that her son, Pvt Norman Olson, was "Killed in Action" on March 31 on Luzon Island in the performance of his duty and service of his country. Norman had been in the infantry until recently when he was transferred to the cavalry.
    Norman entered the Armed Service for training on July 19, 1944. After some months at Camp Wolters, Texas, he was sent to Fort Ord, California, and on February 19 to the Philippines. Luzon is the most northern island of the group.
    Born in Dodge County on July 24, 1925, he was 19 years, seven months, and seven days of age. He was christened at the Lutheran Childrenís Home in Fremont and entered the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Olson by adoption when he was six years old.
    He was confirmed by Rev. John C. Kaiser on May 14, 1939, and graduated from the Leigh High School in 1943. He taught one year in school district No. 78 Platte County, before going into the service.
    His last letter to his mother was written under the date of March 21 and reached her on Wednesday of this week.
    Surviving are his mother and one brother, Alfred Olson, of Creston. His father, george Olson, preceded him in death in February 1930.

    Miss Ruby Bruns and Melvin V. Fendrich were joined in marriage in a double ring ceremony read by the Rev. Harry J. Mumm at St. Johnís Church.

    Sgt. Robert Lake was advised his wife and he and Pvt. Otto Meyer, also with the armed forces near Rome, Italy, met recently and spent a day together.
    Two other boys from this community, who are in service in Europe, met quite by accident recently in Germany. They were S/Sgt. James Hanel and Lumir Fendrich. In their letters to home folks they told of their surprise in meeting and of the good "talk" they had. In a letter to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Hanel, Sr., Hanel describes the procedure when American soldiers take over a town in Germany. All the people on one side of a street moved out and the soldiers occupy the houses.

April 20, 1945 - republished August 12, 1998
    A daughter, whom they have named Sherryn Lorraine, was born to Cpl. and Mrs. John N. Yates at the Lutheran Hospital in Columbus. Mrs. Yates was formerly Miss Phyllis Jenny. Cpl. Yates is with the Airborne troops and is now stationed in India.
April 27, 1945 - republished August 12, 1998
    Mr. and Mrs. Otto Franzen were honored by relatives at an evening party which marked their 40th wedding anniversary.

    Miss Irene Ruth Brown became the bride of Arthur M. Vercrysse, in Omaha, in a candle light ceremony read by the Rev. A. W. Young at the First English Lutheran Church in Omaha.

    A wedding ceremony read by the Rev. B. A. Filipi at New Zion Prebyterian Church, Clarkson, united the lives of Miss Elaine P. Mastny and Dennis L. Vlach.

    A son, weighing seven pounds, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Derold D. Abbot of Shelby. Mrs. Abbott was formerly Miss Lois Moeller. The baby has been named John Derda.

    Miss Helen Kapels and Edward Wiemer were joined in marriage in an early spring wedding solemnized at St. Johnís Church south of Creston.

    Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Paul observed their silver wedding anniversary with a dinner at their home.

October 5, 1945 - republished January 13, 1999
    Virgil Settje is another of our Creston boys who is home from three years of overseas service. He has been also given his discharge. ...

    Sgt. Johnny Schmitz, who recently returned from Europe, is spending three weeks with his family at Creston. At the end of his furlough he will go to Ft. Leavenworth for his discharge. He has been in the Army for nearly five years.

    Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Hosely are parents of a son born at the Lutheran Hospital in Columbus.

October 12, 1945 - republished January 13, 1999
    T/Sgt. Walter Deichmann left for Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, after a ten-day furlough with home folks, Mrs. Anna Deichmann and sons. Walter spent more than three years in the Army and 29 months of the time he was based in England with the Eighth Air Force. He trained as an electrician and as an inspector. ...
November 16, 1945 - republished March 24, 1999
    Arthur Rewinkel, former Leigh resident, died in Denver, Colorado. He had been in failing health for several years. Funeral rites and burial were in Denver.
    Mr. Rewinkel was the first resident teacher of Zion Lutheran Parochial School and lived at Leigh from 1914 until 1925. He left Leigh to teach in a parochial school in Denver but for the past several years he had been engaged in other work.
    Born on the Rewinkel homestead east of Lyons, Nebraska, in 1887, he was 58 years of age. He was the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Rewinkel, pioneer residents in that locality. ... He was married to Miss Mathilda Schroeder, a childhood schoolmate, in St. John's Church near Lyons, the Rev. J. P. Kuehnert reading the ceremony.
    They established their home at Leigh and their two children, Merwyn and Marian, were born here. He is also survived by his wife and three grandchildren.
    His two brothers, William and Herman Rewinkel, of Lyons, and sister, Mrs. Herman Eggert of Fremont, and Mrs. Rewinkel's mother, Mrs. Geo. Schroeder, of Fremont attended the funeral.

    Mr. and Mrs. Harold Hespe and son, Jimmy, arrived from Portland, Oregon, and were visiting home folks, the Wm. Hespe family. ...

    S/Sgt James Hanel reached home from overseas service and is spending two weeks furlough with home folks, Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Hanel. ...

    Herman D. Schmidt died at the home of his niece, Mrs. Fred Daniels, death being caused by carcinoma of the liver. Mr. Schmidt's home was at Bennington and he came to the Daniels home to Spend the winter as was his custom. The remains were taken to Bennington where funeral servcies were held at St. John's Church of which he was a member. Rev. Churchill conducted the service. Burial was in the cemetery at Elkhorn.
    Born in Germany of May 7th, 1877, Mr. Schmidt died at Leigh, Nebraska, on November 10, 1945, at the age of 68 years, six months, and three days. His illness of several years duration. ...
    Accompanying the remains to Bennington were Mr. and Mrs. Daniels and Lillian, Mr. and Mrs. Leo Daniels, and Mr. and Mrs. Lester Daniels of Columbus.

    Delbert, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. William Schroeder, living three miles north of Leigh, died suddenly after a brief illness. The baby was born August 23, 1945.
    Surviving are the parents and two brothers, Cornelius, aged five years, and Dennis, aged four years.
    The Schroeder family lives on one of the Henry Rosicky farms, formerly the H. P. Herbst place.

November 16, 1945 - republished March 31, 1999
    Dorwin Hockemeier has advised his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hockemeier, that he has been promoted from private to T/5. He is stationed in Manila P.I., where he does typing in one of the government hospitals.

    Kenneth Marty has received his discharge from the Army and is at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Marty. He returned from overseas service several months ago and has since been stationed in Georgia and Texas.

    Miss Marion Phyllis Prang became the bride of Hilmer Settje in a double ring ceremony read by the Rev. Theodore Frey at seven o'clock at the Baptist Church in Creston.

    The marriage of Miss Adelyn Severa and Vernon Schultz took place in the office of Judge Reeker at Madison on November 7th at 2:30 o'clock. Attendants were Mr. and Mrs. DeForest Jansen.

    The Creston community is saddened by the death of William Wenk who passed away at the hospital in Kearney where he had been a patient for five months. His condition caused concern and he was placed on oxygen tent part time but he grew gradually weaker. His mother, Mrs. Ernest Gigax, remained at the hospital until the end came.
    William Wenk was the son of Mrs. Ernest Gigax. He was born in Creston, June 12, 1911, and baptized in the Lutheran faith. He was confirmed at St. Peter's Church and was a member of the brotherhood. He received his education at Creston graduating from high school in 1931. ...
    He was preceded in death by his father, William Wenk, who died in 1910, and his half-sister, Erna who passed away in 1933.
    Surviving are his mother, one sister, Thelma, his stepfather, Ernest Gigax, and a half brother, Fred Gigax. ...

November 23, 1945 - republished March 31, 1999
    Mrs. Alvina Barjenbruch and Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Barjenbruch and children were in Columbus as guests at a dinner which honored the former's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fritz Loseke, on their 60th wedding anniversary. The dinner was given at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Loseke and places were laid for 40 relatives.

    S/Sgt Walter H. Kramer has advised his wife at Newman Grove that he sailed from Japan for the States November 13. He has been in Japan since September, overseas 15 months, serving with the Air Detachment of the Marines. Walter writes that he is bringing home a Jap cargo parachute, which contains 487 square yards of fine silk.

    Leigh's old hotel building, which served the traveling public for over half a century, is the next piece of property to be sold under the tax lien sales which the village board of trustees has been instigating against property owners who have failed to keep the taxes paid. The sale will take place December 24th.
    The building, which has been in possession of the Bernard Wolken estate, has been partly used as a warehouse and another part of it as a feed store.

November 23, 1945 - republished April 7, 1999
    Mrs. J. R. Teply, 90, died at her home in Clarkson. Funeral services were held at the Catholic Church, Rev. C. Z. Petlach officiating. Pallbearers were E. W. Trojan, Frank Trojan, W. J. Trojan, Jerry Teply, Ed Teply, and Herman Teply. Burial was in the Clarkson Cemetery.
    Mrs. Teply was Catherine Panek before marriage. She was born in Moravia and came to this country in young womanhood. Colfax County has been her home for 60 years. She was married to J. R. Teply in 1885 and they lived on the farm east of Leigh now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Emanuel Teply. They retired to Clarkson in 1928.
    Surviving are the husband; four sons, Joe R., Wenzel, and Emanuel of Clarkson, Fred of Lincoln; two daughters, Mrs. Kate Viskocil of Omaha and Mary.

    Harold Aspinall returned from overseas service and has received his discharge. He served in the Army and was in the Pacific Theatre over two years.
    Harold is a patient in the Lutheran Hospital in Columbus where he underwent an appendectomy. Dr. Kuper took him to the hospital.

    Pfc. Otto Meyer writes his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Meyer, from Oran, Africa, that he is "on the way home". He sailed from Naples, Italy on November 3. ...

    Mr. and Mrs. Dave Bridges have received word from their son, Kenneth, that he has been released from the Veterans' Hospital in Portland, Oregon. Kenneth was a Seabee and was given his discharge in the spring when he was returned from the Hawaiian Islands suffering with asthma. Later he developed pneumonia and has been hospitalized for several weeks. His wife works as a nurse at the Veterans' Hospital.

    T/5 Walter Barjenbruch called his mother, Mrs. Alvina Barjenbruch, telling her that he had just landed in this country at a port in Virginia. He has been in service 37 months, most of the time in northern Africa. During the past year he has been in southern Europe. He expects to reach home soon.

    S/Sgt Earl Fuhr left for Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, to receive his discharge from the Armed Forces. He spent a 30-day furlough with home folks, Mr. and Mrs. Adam Fuhr and family.

    A dispatch received by members of the Correll family advised them of the death of their brother, Arnold Correll, at Houston, Texas. He had been ill for five months and had been hospitalized for most of that time. Funeral services and burial were held at Houston.
    Arnold was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Correll. ...
    Survivors are his wife, Gladys; three children, Joyce, aged eight years, Stanley, aged six, and Charles, aged three. He also leaves his mother, four sisters, and three brothers.

November 30, 1945 - republished April 14, 1999
    John Brock passed away at his home, death being due to a cerebral hemorrhage. Stricken while down town, he was taken home in a car and shortly after noon passed into a coma from which he did not rally. He was ill less than one day.
    ... Pallbearers were nephews, Otto, Arthur and Emil Marty, Henry Vierregger, Julius Moeller, and Henry Miller. Honorary bearers were F. A. Broger, Emil Teply, Joe Sucha, Leonard Hobel, R. H. Olson, Walter Folken, Henry Beck, and Wm. Hespe. Burial was in the Lutheran Cemetery.
    Born on the old Brock homestead nine miles southwest of Leigh on March 13, 1875, John Brock died at Leigh on November 27, 1945, at the age of 70 years, eight months and 14 days. He was the youngest son of pioneer parents, John and Ann Elizabeth Brock. He was christened and confirmed and married in Christ Lutheran Chruch. ...
    John Henry Brock and Miss Mary Moeller were married by Rev. A. Frese at Christ Lutheran Church on September 29, 1898. ...
    Survivors are his wife, four daughters and one son, Misses Margaret and Mathilda Brock of Leigh; Mrs. Lillian Barrett of Columbus, Mrs. Helen Rynearson of Leigh; and Lawrence Brock of Wakefield. There are 10 grandchildren. Miss Mathilda, R.N. was a second lieutenant in the Army Nurse Corps and only recently received an honorable discharge.
    He was preceded in death by three brothers, Henry, Peter, and John, and one sister, Elsia. He leaves one sister, Mrs. Marie Marth of Leigh.

    Mrs. Ed McNurlin and George Bruhn Sr. were married at St. Mary's Church by Father S. J. Mitera.

    William Mazuch, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Mazuch residing four miles northeast of Leigh, returned recently from overseas where he served for 14 months. ...

November 30, 1945 - republished April 21, 1999
    Funeral services for Miss Freda M. Wendt, who died at her home, were held at St. Peter's Church. Rev. R. L. Jobman officiated. Burial was in the Creston Cemetery.
    Born on May 13, 1899, at the family home in Grand Prairie Township, Platte County, she was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Otto Wendt. She was christened and confirmed in Grand Prairie Zion Lutheran Church and reached the age of 46 years, six months, and nine days. She had been in ill health for several years.
    Surviving are her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Otto Wendt of Humphrey, four sisters and two brothers, Mrs. Walter Sander of Columbus, Mrs. Ernest Sander, Mrs. Paul Sander, and Mrs. Reinold Wennekamp of Creston., Carl Wendt of Platte Center, and Raymond Wendt at home; six nephews and six nieces, besides a host of relatives and friends.

    A wedding of interest to Creston people is that of Virgil Settje and Miss Susan Fenhouse which took place November 18, at 5:00 in the afternoon.

    Mrs. T. F. Plageman was called to Norfolk by the critical illness of her brother's wife, Mrs. O. M. Wells. Mrs. Wells passed away and had been in poor health many months following a fall in which her hip was broken.

    Pauline Lovell and Leonard Decker were united in marriage in the Presbyterian Church in Creston at a 7 o'clock candelight service with Reverend Hal Schenck officiating.

    A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Herman Wardenburg of Creston on Thanksgiving Day.

    Mr. and Mrs. Roy Sayers were at Schuyler to attend funeral services held for Mrs. Sayers' mother, Mrs. Jos. Hejtmanek. Mrs. Hejtmanek, 71, died in St. Mary's Hospital in Columbus. She had been bedfast for two years.

    A daughter, weighing 9 1/2 pounds, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Glen Botsch at the Lutheran Hospital in Columbus.

December 7, 1945 - republished April 28, 1999
    On a furlough to London, Pfc. Harold Sucha write his parents Mr. and Mrs. Henry Sucha, of his experiences in that English city. ...

    Dorwin Hockameier, stationed in Manila, P.O. attended the first day of the trial of the Jap "tiger of Malaya," Lt. Gen. Yamashito, according to a letter written to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hockameier. ...

    Ensign Patricia Geiger, Navy nurse, has been transferred from a naval base in California to a navy hospital at Clearfield, Utah.

    Major Andrew Price, formerly of Leigh, has been transferred from Pueblo, Colorado, to Edmonton, Canada, according to word received from his mother, Mrs. Myrtle Price. The major's wife and daughter will join him in Edmonton as soon as living quarters are found. ...

    William Thalken and Roy Brdicko met recently on Okinawa, according to word received by the former's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Thalken. ...

December 7, 1945 - republished May 5, 1999
    Lester Bruhn is another Leigh boy who has returned home after four years and nine months of service in the U. S. Army. ... Reaching here, he is with home folks, Mr. and Mrs. Will Bruhn and daughters, and is undecided on his plans for the future.

    Dennis Held arrived here from overseas services having been given his discharge at St. Louis, Missouri. ... Dennis plans to be with home folks, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Held and family, until the first of the year. He will go to Minnesota to visit friends and on to California to see one of his buddies before reaching a decision on future work.

    Gordon Kumpf returned from three years of Army service and is with home folks, the Ed Kumpf family. ...

    Capt. Elmer Dasenbrock reached home following two years of service ... Elmer has a month's leave with home folks, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Dasenbrock and family and will report at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, in January for his discharge. ...

    Irvin Engelbart spent a few days with relatives at Creston following his honorable discharge from the Army Air Force. ... Irvin brought home many sourvenirs for his mother, Mrs. Gertie Engelbart. ...

December 14, 1945 - republished May 12, 1999
    Frank Garofolo arrived here to join his wife and son at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Will Loseke. He served in the infantry for over three years and attained the rating of staff sergeant. ...

    Pvt. Reynold S. Buresh leaves to report at Camp Roberts, California, after a furlough with home folks, Mr. and Mrs. Emil Buresh, north of Leigh. Reynold has completed basic training and has been assigned to the 9th Service Command post Ordnance. This covers the entire west coast. ...

    Sgt. John Aspinall has returned to the states from nearly two years of service in India. He joined his wife at Geneva and they came to Leigh and visited with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Aspinall and family. ...

    Three years in the Infantry is the record of Neils Olson who arrived home. Neils was in service three years and spent the past year in the European theatre of operations. He participated in campaigns in Germany and Austria and attained the rating of sergeant.
    Given his discharge at Fort Leavenworth, he came to Leigh where he is at the home of his mother, Mrs. Frieda Olson. Future plans are indefinite. ...

    Mrs. Anna Kucera, former Leigh resident, who has made her home in San Diego, California, for the past several years, was married recently to J. E. Johnson of that city. They live at 1268 Penn Ave., San Diego.
    On December 1st, she received injuries when she was struck by a car being backed out of a dead end street. No bones were broken but she has not regained the use of her legs.

    Creston is to have an electric shop and the same will be opened this week. Fred Gigax and Stanley Wagner will operate the place and will be located in the Graham building on Main Street.
    Both of the men are ex-service men of the World War II and have had electrical experience in the Army.

December 21, 1945 - republished May 19, 1999
    Miss Margaret Bausch and Oscar Hall were united in marriage at Columbus, the double ring ceremony was being used. The bride's dress was of olive green wool with gold trim with which she combined black accessories. She carried out the tradition of "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue."

    Edward Korte has purchased the insurance business formerly conducted by the late John Brock and has an announcement in this newspaper asking your patronage. He has given up his position with the Spanhake Oil Company and will devote full time to the insurance business.
    Mr. Korte plans to open an office on Main Street as soon as a suitable building can be secured.

    A daughter weighing two pounds was born to Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Kucera, living near Clarkson, at the Lutheran Hospital in Columbus. The baby was placed in an incubator. Mrs. Kucera returned home.

    Jos. M. Mundil, well known resident of Clarkson since 1878, died at his home there. Funeral rites were conducted by Rev. B. A. Filipi at the Presbyterian Church. Burial was in the Clarkson Cemetery.
    Born in Bohemia on August 14, 1856, he had reached the age of 89 years. He was associated with various lines of business during the years he had lived at Clarkson. Mrs. Mundil suffered a paralytic stroke recently and physicians hold out no hope for her recovery. Also surviving are two sons, Fred of Lincoln, and Joseph of Clarkson.
    Mr. and Mrs. John A. Glandt were at Clarkson for the funeral, Mr. Glandt serving as one of the pallbearers.

    F. Rabeler has disposed of his interest in the Bank of Leigh to his son, Fred J. Rabeler, and son-in-law, Geo. C. Kumpf. In turn he opened an office over the Leigh theatre building where he will devote his time to income tax report service.
    After being connected with the Leigh banks for more than forty years, Mr. Rabeler steps out to let the younger men carry on. ...

    Robert Lake has advised his wife that he has been promoted from sergeant to staff sergeant. He is stationed in Vienna, Austria, at the present time.

    Mrs. Frank Reichmuth and Richard, S 2/c, and Norman Herink drove to Omaha to be present on the following day at the wedding of Miss Geraldine Jensen and James Krzmarich. The ceremony took place at St. Phillip Neri Church.

    Miss Lillian Sumption passed away at her home, death being due to a heart attack. Although she had been in failing health for some months, she was bedfast only one week. Mrs. Mary Overstreet, close friend and neighbor, was with her when the end came. ...

December 21, 1945 - republished May 26, 1999
    Technical Sergeant Ralph H. Meyer, whose parents, Mr. and Mrs. Louis H. Meyer, reside in Creston, has been returned to the United States from the Pacific after 28 months of active duly with the Fifth Air Force Service Command which supplies and maintains the Fifth Air Force. ...
    Creston boys who enlisted at the same time were Phillip Meyer and Virgil Settje.

    Mr. and Mrs. Emory King will celebrate their golden wedding anniversary Sunday, December 23, with open house from two o'clock until five.

    Mr. and Mrs. Herbie Clark of Loretta are both in serious condition at different hospitals in Omaha. Mr. and Clark and his daughter, Delores (Mrs. Geo. Daniels) accompanied Mrs. Clark to Omaha where she entered Clarkson hospital for an operation. In the same day Mr. Clark was on a way to a restaurant and he was struck by a car, receiving a fractured pelvis and internal injuries. He was taken to Doctor's hospital where his condition is slowly improving.
    While Delores Daniels was still in Omaha with her parents, her husband called and told her their home had burned to the ground and nothing had been saved.

    Decree has been entered by Judge Lightner in district court granting the petition of Mrs. Mabel L. Finley, for annulment of her marriage to Robert F. Finley on the grounds that when they were married September 11, 1944, Finley had a wife residing in Salt Lake City whom he had married in 1941 and from whom he was not divorced. Plaintiff was granted permission to resume her maiden name, Mabel Knight. Miss Knight was a former Creston girl, who was working in Cheyenne when she met Finley, who posed as an army officer. She learned of his prior marriage last March when Finley, a former army private, was arrested in California on a charge of illegally wearing the uniform of an army captain. ...

    Funeral services for Mrs. Lillie Sumption were held at the Congregational Church. Rev. A. R. Hyatt delivered the sermon. ...
    Pallbearers were Wm. Gobler, Baltz Heitz, O. H. Wullschleger, M. C. Phillips, Wendell Woodard, and John Wullschleger. Burial was in the Leigh Cemetery.
    Lillie Anna Sumption was born in Schuyler, Nebraska, August 14, 1872, daughter of Henry and Melissa Faust. She died at Leigh, Nebraska, on December 20, 1945, at the age of 73 years, four months, and five days. She had been in failing health for several months and a weakened heart hastened her demise. ...
    Seven children were born, five daughters and two sons. One daughter, Mrs. Alice Knecht, died in 1919; one son, Lewis, Jr., died in 1912. The surviving children are Mrs. Grace Kroeger, Mrs. Anna Spect, and Mrs. Edith Vias, Schuyler; Chester Sumption, Leigh; and Mrs. Pearl Hamilton, Wynot, all of whom were present at the funeral. There are 22 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren.
    She also leaves four sisters, Mrs. Nora Hamilton, Mary, Omaha; Mrs. Delila Little, Wyoming, Mrs. Milicia Miller of Columbus; and six brothers, Oria Faust, Fremont; Silas, Henry, Albert, Charles and Clement Faust, Schuyler.

December 21, 1945 - republished June 2, 1999
    It was a co-incident that the Hanel brothers, Lumir and Sgt. James Hanel, Jr. returned the same day.
    Lumir has been working at the Vultee Consolidated Aircraft plant on the west coast during the war. He drove home by car, making the trip via the southern route.
    Sgt. James Hanel, Jr. returned home the same day. He was discharged from the army service at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas. He spent nearly four years in the European theatre of war.

    Miss Martha Polenz, former Leigh girl, was married December 14, to Stephen Taber III at Waverly, Iowa.

    Paul Loseke purchased the corner tavern building from Carl Drahota for which he paid $11,550. Possession will be given about next April or May first.
    The purchase price does not include the tavern stock which will be invoiced.
    Mr. and Mrs. Drahota expect to return to the farm. In fact, Mr. Drahota is already feeding a lot of cattle this winter.

    Gus Spanhake was the successful bidder on the old hotel when it was sold at tax foreclosure sale. The price paid was $1150.00. The sale, of course, awaits the court's confirmation.

    Mrs. John Glick, former Leigh resident, died at her home in Filer, Idaho, following a paralytic stroke, in December 6, according to word received by Mrs. Mary Overstreet. Mr. Glick preceded his wife in death a few weeks ago.
    Mrs. Glick was formerly Miss Lucy Graves, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. V. W. Graves, well known early Leigh family. She is survived by two brothers, Fred B. Graves, Twin Falls, and Russel Filer. She also leaves two daughters and one son, Edith, Reese and Fern.

    LaVerne Thalken arrived and is at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Herman Thalken. It is his intention to remain at home and help his parents. He received his discharge at Santa Ana, California. ...

    Pvt. Gordon Hillen writes to home folks, Mrs. Lucia Hillen and family, that he is now stationed in Stuttgart, Germany. He is serving in the signal corps and was sent across in late November. ...

    Miss Lorene Ann Bahns became the bride of Duane Loseke in a candle-light ceremony read by Rev. Harry J. Mumm at St. John's church at 5 o'clock.

    Mrs. Alma Moran, formerly of Leigh, was married early in December to Chas. Dodge, at St. Paul. Mr. Dodge is a railroad man. The couple is living in Grand Island.

    A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Kuester at the Lutheran Hospital, Columbus.

    Ens. Ema Jane Wullschleger arrived from Great Lakes Naval training station, Illinois, and is recuperating from an illness at the home of her parents, O. H. Wullschleger. She expects her discharge from the Navy Nurse Corps within a few weeks.

    Elmer Hake is home from service in the Army and is at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Hake. He served in the infantry for nearly four years and was in this country throughout the period. He received his discharge at Camp Swift, Texas.

    Mr. and Mrs. Emory King observed their golden wedding anniversary by keeping "open house" at their home.

    One more misfortune hit the Herbie Clark family, making four times in a week. Mrs. Clark was taken to the Clarkson Hospital where she submitted to a major operation; on the same day, as he left the hospital; Mr. Clark was struck by a car and suffered a fractured pelvis and internal injuries; their married daughter remained in Omaha to be near them since both were in critical condition and she was notified that her home in Albion had burned to the ground.
    While his parents were dangerously ill, Roy Clark, in Oregon, had been notified and he and his wife and baby drove to Albion. From there they were driving to Omaha to see his parents.
    At North Bend their car was involved in a collision with an oil transport and completely wrecked. Mrs. Clark received a concussion of the brain and bruises. Mr. Clark was bruised and cut. They were taken to the hospital in Fremont, where Mrs. Clark's condition is reported as critical. The baby was uninjured.

Return to More Miscellaneous | Colfax County Home Page
[an error occurred while processing this directive]