NOTE: * indicates a present-day town.
ABINGTON (Location: NW1/2; 4-18N-4E) - Abington had a post office established 2 May 1872 with Wm. M. Walker as postmaster; discontinued November 1887. It may have been named for a town in Connecticut or Pennsylvania.
BENTON - Benton was a station on the Union Pacific Railroad 8 miles southwest of Schuyler, Nebraska. It could have been in honor of Missouri Senator Thomas H. Benton.
BISSEL (Location: NW1/4; 11-18N-2E) - It had a post office established 7 September 1889 with Reinhold Held as postmaster; discontinued June 1904. Thomas Bissell was an early settler after which the community was probably named.
BOHEMIA - This community was named by the Czech settlers in the area that came from Bohemia in Europe.
BUCHANAN (Location: SW1/4; 14-17N-3E) - A post office was established 27 October 1856, Isaac Albertson, postmaster. Later the post office was changed to Shell Creek, then to Schuyler. It was named in honor of James Buchanan, a candidate for president when the town was platted in April 1856. It was a short-lived town. It was a state coach station on the Western State Lines.
CLARKSON* - The post office was established 24 January 1882, named in honor of the Schuyler postmaster, T. S. Clarkson who helped established to town of Clarkson. The town was platted by the Western Town-Lot Company in 1886. Wm. A. Smith was the first postmaster. The population in 1980 was 817.
CURRY (Location: SW1/4; 4-19N-4E) - Curry was named in honor of an early settler in the area. A post office was established 18 May 1882, Albert Taylor, postmaster; discontinued 23 October 1890.
DONOVAN (Location: NE1/4; 10-18N-4E) - This was another community named for a local early settler with a post office established 16 February 1898, John H. Costello, postmaster; discontinued September 1899.
EL DORADO (Location: SW1/2; 34-17N-2E) - This Spanish name means "the gilded" or "golden." Why it was named El Dorado is unknown. It was a station on the Western State Lines from Omaha to Fort Kearney. A post office was established in Novem-ber 1858 with George Spaulding, postmaster. Later it was changed to Richland.
FRANKLIN - Franklin was a proposed town that never got beyond the platting stage.
FULTON (Location: NW1/4; 26-19N-2E) - A post office was established 13 May 1875, Thomas M. Hoppell, postmaster; discontinued May 1900.
HEUN (Location: SE1/4; 8-20N-4E) - This is a community north of Schuyler, Nebraska with a Catholic Church. It had a post office from 3 December 1885 to 24 Februiary 1903. Its first postmaster was Wm. Curry.
HOWELLS* (Location: NW1/4; 8-20N-4E) - The town was platted by Western Town Site Company, named in honor of J. S. Howell, an early pioneer. The "s" was added by the railroad company and adopted by the postal authorities when the post office was established 20 November 1886 with Henry F. Kloke, the postmaster. The population in 1980 was 677.
LAMBERT - This was a former station on the Union Pacific Railroad located near Schuyler, Nebraska.
LEIGH* (Location: SE1/4; 18-20N-2E) - The town was named in honor of Mrs. A. M. Walling whose maiden name was Leigh. The Wallings owned the town site. The post office was established 18 March 1875, Augustus Walling, postmaster. The population in 1980 was 509.
MARION (Location: SW1/4; 14-17N-3E) - A post office was established 1 November 1858; discontinued 11 April 1859.
MIDLAND (Location: SW1/4; 32-20N-4E) - Midland was located west of Glencoe, a hamlet in western Dodge County. A post office was established 6 May 1872, Quincey H. Brown, postmaster; discontinued 26 September 1884.
MORIAN (Location: SE1/4; 3-18N-3N) - Morian had a post office from 8 August 1870 to 12 March 1877. Henry D. Kingston was postmaster.
NENNAH - This community was named for a former locality in Wisconsin with the name Neenah.
OLEAN (Location: NW1/4; 2-20N-4E) - This rural community still has a Catholic Church. It was probably named for Olean, New York. There was a post office from 3 June 1873 to 20 August 1877 with Oscar Van Schsetz as postmaster.
OLEYEN (Location: NW1/4; 2-20N-4E) [Same as Olean] - A post office was established 26 June 1895 until 31 May 1904.
PRAHA (Location: SE1/4; 24-19N-3E) - This community was named by Czech settlers for their capital in Bohemia. The post office was changed from Reno 6 December 1880, John F. Sobota, postmaster; discontinued 29 October 1902.
RENO - A post office was established 3 April 1879, changed to Praha in 1880. The name was changed to avoid confusion of mail with Reno, Nevada.
RICHLAND* (Location: SW1/4; 3-17N-2E) - The post office was changed from El Dorado 14 February 1879. It may have received its name from the rich soil in the area. The population in 1980 was 114.
ROGERS* (Location: NE1/4; 12-17N-1E) - A post office was established 31 July 1883, Rufus Roberts, postmaster, changed to a postal station in 1888, mail being delivered from North Bend, Nebraska. It was named in honor of a Mr. Rogers, Union Pacific Railroad official. The population in 1980 was 89.
SAINT JOHN - This was a community located near a church with this name.
SANCO (Location: NE1/4; 25-19N-4E) - A post office was established 12 January 1885 with Louis C. Mayes as postmaster; discontinued April 1890.
SCHUYLER* (Location: SW corner of NE1/4; 14-17N-3E) - Schuyler was named in honor of Schuyler Colfax, vice president of the United States at the time the town became a county seat. The post office was changed from Shell Creek July 1869. The town of Schuyler was platted by H. M. Hoxie and Webster Snyder, officials of the Union Pacific Railroad on 6 April 1869. In the 1870's it was a rail shipping point to the east for cattle trailed in from Texas.
SHELL CREEK (Location: SW1/4, 17\4-17N-3E) - A post office was established 4 February 1867. It was later changed to Schuyler.
SKINNER'S - This was a stop on the Western State Lines from Omaha to Fort Kearney. It was located 11 miles east of Columbus, Nebraska. It was probably named for an early settler, Joseph Skinner.
SPITLEY - This was a proposed name for a town but was never accepted.
TABOR - This was a former locality named for a city in Bohemia by the early settlers of the area.
WELLS (Location: SE1/4; 29-19N-3E) - This place was named in honor of a local settler. It had a post office from 25 November 1895 to June 1904. Bruno Schmidt was the postmaster.
WILSON (Location: SE1/4; 18-19N-2E) - A post office was established 28 April 1875; discontinued February 1892. John L. Cushman was the first postmaster.
Colfax County NEGenWeb Project Page
This is a free site. © 2011 slb. This page may not be copied or distributed or accessed for profit without the written permission of the copyright holder or the owner of this site. Please notify the site owner if you have come to this site as a result of a paid subscription to another site.