NEGenWeb Project
MISCELLANEOUS WEDDINGS, ANNIVERSARIES
COLFAX COUNTY, NEBRASKA


ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: A special thanks to The Columbus Telegram, The Howells Journal, and The Schuyler Sun for granting permission to republish these articles as part of the NEGenWeb project and, by doing so, assisting genealogical researchers everywhere.
Mr. & Mrs. Ed Pollard, Early Pioneers of Colfax Co. Observe Their Golden Wedding Anniversary Jan. 25th.
Sixty three years ago last April a little band of emigrants left Sterling, ILL. on their way across Country to seek their fortunes on the plains of Nebraska. Five prairie schooners made up the caravan which left for the west with the families of William Pollard, Dan Van Housen and Albert Turgoose. Jim Brown, who had left his family in Sterling, was also 1 in the caravan.

Dan Van Houen, who had homesteaded in the county the year before had returned to Sterling for his family and was instrumental in bringing these people to Nebraska with his description of the Virgin County.

After three weeks of weary travel they arrived at their destination in Colfax County. They were not the first of such groups to come into the new Country---a few earlier arrivals were already established on homesteads but these settlers were scattered and for miles around there was no sign of habitation. Nor were they the last---settlers continued to migrate into this country for 20 years after they had arrived.

WILLIAM POLLARD took a homestead in section 2 of Colfax precinct, now the home of A.C. Pollard, a grandson, in what is know as the Dublin Community and here he & his wife established a home for their 7 children.

The TURGOOSE family settled 1/2 mile south of Pollards on what is now the Frank Dowd farm. Jim Brown also settled in the same locality, built a dug-out, broke prarie but remained only a short time, returning to Illinois, Mrs. Pollard's family arrives(Doyles) 9 years after the arrival of the Pollards, they migrated from Ill. and rented a farm within a mile of the Pollard Homestead, later acquiring a 200 acre tract of school land. This was the Patrick Doyle family. They also had 7 children and came from the vicinity of Sterling, Ill.

Becoming neighbors as they did it was only natural that members of the 2 families would visit back and forth. As a result of these neighborly visits a love affair between a son a daughter of William & Emma Pollard & Patrick & Bridget Doyle culminated in their Marriage Jan. 25, 1885.

The Ceremony which united these two, Ed Pollard and Ellen Doyle, was solemnized at the home of the brides parents. There was no church in that community in that day, but monthly services were held in the schoolhouse. Mass had been held in the morning but the wedding ceremony was postponed until the middle of the afternoon at the request of one of the guests who would have been unable to witness the ceremony had it taken place earlier in the day.

The bridal party rode to the school to attend morning church service, in a lumber wagon. Rev. Father Charles Hannen of Fremont, was officiating Priest.

MARRIED 50 years tomorrow Jan. 25th 1934 these two people, the husband who came to Nebraska as a 9 yr. old boy in a prairie schooner with his parents in 1871, and the wife who came to Nebraska with her parents in 1880 are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary at their home in this City where they have resided since 1903.

Wedding Celebration---The night of the wedding there was the customary celebration of such events, in fact there were 2 nights of merry making and dancing, the first night for the old folks and the next night for the young people. Of the guests who attended that wedding ceremony 50 yrs ago and who still reside in the Dublin community is John Costelle, who lives in the first farm north of the Old Pollard Homestead. There probably are others here who perhaps as children were there with their parents but neither could remember. John Costelle, as a young man in that locality made his home with the Patrick Murphy family.

In February following their marriage Mr. & Mrs. Pollard established their own home, on what at that time was known as the Henry Zehner farm, 21/2 miles N. & 1 mile east of the Pollard homestead. Later they moved to another farm, 4 miles S. & 1 mile east of the Howells, which Mr. Pollard purchased. Six years after their marriage Mr Pollard sold the farm near Howells and purchased a 200 acre tract in sec. 25 of midland precinct and sec. 30 of maple creek of John McIntes and this was the family home until 103.

After William Pollard brought his family to Nebraska built a little home and broke some of the Virgin prairie, he took advantage of every opportunity that was offered to earn a little money so that he could better provide for the necessities of his family.

The Court house was just being built in Schuyler that Summer and with his team he hauled much of the brick that was used in the building.

The first bridge across was just being built at that time and in the winter of 1871 he hauled rock for the ice breaks of the bridge, which was shipped to Schuyler by rail. He and Lou Olds contracted this job and worked on it the greater part of the winter.

Later when the Dworak mill was being built on shell creek, he hauled lumber to the site of the mill and worked on the mill dam.

The first grain raised on the Pollard homestead had to be hauled to Fremont to be marketed. There we no established roads or public bridges which made it necessary to ford the streams or go out of the way to cross on private bridges which had been built by some of the early settlers.

When the Pollards established themselves there was not another family of Irish among the few settlers who were already settled in that locality. They were the first of a community which eventually became an Irish settlement.

The nearest of their neighbors when they first took up their homestead was the John Mitchell family who had located a mile and a half north of what became the Pollard homestead in 1869. They came from Wisconsin on April 27th and they were the 1st settlers in the Maple Creek area. In June of the same year the Nelson Waide & Daniel True families arrived, they also came from Wisconsin and in July the Joseph Ritzdorf family settled here.

A year after the arrival of the Pollards in 1872, the Richard Henry family migrated into the locality, the following year the James Dowd family came and after them came the Higgins, Murphy, Varleys and others and eventually, with the founding of a Church the Community became known as Dublin.

ED Mr. Pollard a hard worker from the days of his youth, suffered a breakdown and in the advice of his physian gave up farming and moved to Schuyler with his family in 1903. He gradually recovered & today is enjoying good health. Mrs. Pollard also an active woman all her life enjoyed good health up to a year ago last Summer she was taken ill on returning from a visit which she and Mr. Pollard made to the home of their daughter in Holt Co. While members of her family have never considered her condition as serious, she has at times been unable to preform her household duties.

Mr. Pollard was the third of a family of ten children, 7 of whom were born in Illinois and came to Nebr. with the parents in 1871. Three children were born after the family was established in this county. The children of whom only three are living were:-John, Mary, who became Mrs Thomas O'Neill, Ed, Frank, Emma, Mrs Thomas Boyle, Julia was Mrs. Ed Hackett, William, Ella Mrs Asa Halstead, Joe & Rose, Mrs Otto Held All except Ed, Frank and Mrs Halstead are deceased.

Mrs. Pollard the daughter of Mr & Mrs. Patrick Doyle is the eldest of a family of 8 seven born in Illinois. The 8th in this County. The Doyle children were Ellen, Mrs Pollard; Catherine Mrs McConnell; Ed; Willie; Agnes Mrs. Floyd Halstead; Emma, Mrs Ed Brogan; Julia, Mrs. Geo. Turner: and Frank. Of these only one of the sisters Mrs McConnell and 2 brothers Ed & Frank are living.

Mr. & Mrs. Pollard both in their 73rd yr, were born in 1861. Mr. Pollard on September 13th and Mrs Pollard on Dec. 2nd.

Mr. & Mrs. Pollard have a family of 5 children and they have all of them to share in observance of their golden wedding anniversary. The eldest son William J. who lives on the old home place in Midland Maple Creek precinct. Teresa, Mrs E. L Coufal of this City, Rose, Mrs Herman Held, of near Chambers, Ed Jr. who resides on a farm south of the old home place, and Lucille, Mrs. Ed. Gaughan of Schuyler.

Mr. & Mrs. Pollard have 22 grandchildren.

Coming into this section when the country was undeveloped, Mr. & Mrs. Pollard experienced the hardships which have been the lot of all pioneers. Time to quit the days labor in those pioneer times was signified by the appearance of the 1st star in the Heavens, Because of the condition of Mrs. Pollards health no special plans have been made for observing the 50th Anniv. aside from visiting with the children who will pay their respects to their parents on the day of that occasion. --"The Schuyler Sun," January 24, 1934 Submitted by Sandy Hagen

Wm Pollard
Emma Haffner Pollard Born May 1836 died Nov 8, 1900
Their children:
John Married Julia Kennedy
Mary Thomas O'Neill
Ed Ellen Doyle
Frank Katie Higgins
Emma Thomas Boyle
Julia Ed Hackett
William Elizabeth or Lizz Heldt
Ella Asa Halstead
Joe Lottie Stone
Rose Otto Held

ELIZABETH GERN AND HENRY W. SMITH (MARRIED 50 YEARS NOVEMBER 19, 1907)

Mr. and Mrs. Henry W. Smith celebrated their golden wedding anniversary November 19, 1907 at their home in this city (Schuyler, Nebraska), they having been married just 50 years ago that day. They were married at the home of John Thomas in Davidsville, Somerset County, Pennsylvania on November 19, 185. They lived there until March, 1868, when they moved to Nebraska and located in Platte County, where they made their home till April, 1876, when they sold out and went back to Pennsylvania.

But they did not stay there, not being satisfied with the country and so returned to Nebraska and located on a farm in Richland precinct in Colfax County. In March 1887 they sold this farm and made Schuyler their residence place, residing here since. They celebrated their silver anniversary at the farm home in Richland precinct in 1882 when all their children were present and none married at that time. Of the children, Charles (born July 19, 1860), Lena (born July 26, 1863), Lizzie (born May 1, 1865), Joseph (born January 9, 1867) and Daniel (born August 1, 1876) were born in Pennsylvania, all the others: Amanda (born August 16, 1868), Henry (born April 26, 1870), Jacob (born February 25, 1872), Emma (born January 9, 1874), Elvina (born March 19, 1878), and Katie (born May 10, 1883) were born in Nebraska. All the children were present at this golden wedding celebration except Daniel, Lena and Katie and all were married except Daniel. There were 28 grandchildren also present.

The father, Henry W. Smith, was born in Germany at Szeibrucken on Rhine on February 3, 1836 and hence is in his 71st year. He came to America with his parents when a little boy and located in Somerset County, Pennsylvania.

Mrs. Elizabeth Gern Smith was born on May 23, 1840 in Davidsville, Somerset County, Pennsylvania. On September 19, 1864 Mr. Smith volunteered as a Union Soldier and joined Co. E 93rd Pennsylvania infantry and served until the close of the war.

The family relations in this big family have always been of a pleasant nature although the family passed through the hard times of pioneer days in Nebraska. They are a splendid old couple and they raised a large family that is a credit to them. A son, Charles H., is one of our City Councilmen and a man who stands high in the estimation of the people. All are honored citizens and all are among our best people. This county was certainly the gainer by that family locating with us. Submitted by Kenny Smith


EMMA SEMERAD AND ADOLPH REZNICEK 50 YEARS FEB. 10, 1981
ADOLPH REZNICEKS OBSERVE GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY

Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Reznicek observed their golden wedding anniversary Feb. 15, 1981.

The day began with a special Mass at St. Mary's Catholic Church when they renewed their wedding vows. Rev. Lucian Astuto, Clarkson, officiated. Concelebrants were Rev. Jerome Dickes, paster, Rev. Richard Arkfeld, Uehing, and Rev. Stanislaus Golik, North Bend. Rev. Arkfeld also played guitar and sang.

In the afternoon they were honored at an open house, buffet supper and dance at Oak Ballroom, hosted by their children and grandchildren. Her corsage and his boutonniere of roses were gifts of their grandchildren. The reception table was centered with a four-tiered cake trimmed in gold.

Emma Semerad, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Semerad, Howells, and Adolph Reznicek, son of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Reznicek, Linwood, were married Feb. 10, 1931 at St. Mary's Catholic Church, Tabor, by Father Foulta. Their attendants were (Agnes) Mrs. Theofil Cech, (Lillian) Mrs. George Dvorak, (Sophia) Mrs. Roman Vavra, Ed Houser, Frank Reznicek, and James Semerad, deceased. Following their marriage, they farmed in the North Bend area before moving to Schuyler. The Rezniceks are the parents of five children, Norbert, Fremont; (Evelyn) Mrs. Vern Mihulka, Norfolk; David, North Bend; Kenneth, Omaha; and (Lauretta) Mrs. Dwayne Muff, Omaha. They also have 20 grandchildren.

Out-of-town relatives and friends attended from Minnesota, Wyoming, Norfolk, Snyder, North Bend, Howells, and Dodge. --"The Schuyler Sun," February 1981 Submitted by Elizabeth Sebranek


KLUTHE/GALL WEDDING
Wedding Bells Carry Joy Tidings
Sacred Heart Church Scene of a Beautiful Marriage Rite

With due solemnity the vows were exchanged at the marriage altar on Tuesday that joined the lives of Miss Mary Gertrude Kluthe and Mr. Joseph John Gall in the holy bonds of wedlock. The ceremony took place at 9:30 at Sacred Heart church, Olean, Rev. Wm. Klein, the pastor, having read the marriage lines and celebrated nuptial mass in the presence of a gathering of relatives and friends.

The music of the wedding march, played by Sister M. Rosa, filled the church as the bridal party entered, the processional having been led by little Renalda Vogel, aged four years, a cousin of the bride, and her brother, Francis Kluthe, aged six. The former, as flower girl, carried a bouquet of pink and white carnations, and was charming in a little ruffled white organdie trimmed with a cape collar; she wore a wide pink sash and corresponding bow in her hair, and the rings on a white silken pillow, the double ring ceremony having been used in the nuptials.

The bride, of the brunette type, was attractive in her rich robes of white satin. The fitted bodice was finished with a "V" neckline, the flared skirt was worn ankle length, and her accessories harmonized with her gown, over which her veil fell floor length from a silk brocaded cap trimmed with pearls; it was worn with a chin strap. She carried a beautiful bouquet of bride's tea roses and ferns from which fell a shower of baby's breath caught in the long silken streamers. The bridal couple were attended by the groom's cousin, Mr. William Gall, as best man, and Miss Angela Kluthe, sister of the bride, as bridesmaid. The latter wore an ankle length frock of bride's dress ws embroidered with crystal beads. She favored a newest cap turban of shell pink Charmien ruffles also finished the deep cape collar which trimmed the bodice. Her lace mitts matched her ensemble and the shoulder corsage was a dainty arrangement of pink and white roses, and a band of silk rose buds was caught in her hair. The gentlemen wore dark suits.

The generous hospitality of the Conrad Kluthe home was extended to the bridal party and wedding guests who gathered there after the ceremony. The dining room was replendent in the colors of pink and white favored by the bride, and a large wedding cake, baked and atractively trimmed by the bride, served as the centerpiece at the table, which was also decorated with bouquets of pink and white carnations and ferns. About eighty guests were served at a three-course dinner, at supper and midnight lungh. The festivities extended far into the night, for relatives and friends from Monterey, Snyder and Howells gathered for the public reception tendered Mr. Gall and his bride at the Parish hall at Olean in the evening. Music for the occasion was furnished by the Dolezal orchester of Clarkson.

The bride, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Conrad Kluthe, is a life-long attendant of Sacred Heart church, a graduate of the Lean parochial school and is a favorite among her large circle of friends. The groom was born and reared in the Howells community, being a son of Mr. and Mrs. Gerhardt Gall, and was educated in SS. Peter and Paul's school; he is a young man of practical ideas and will continue farming as his vocation. Both are held in high respect as is evidenced by the many lovely gifts showered upon them and for which they wish to express their appreciation and thanks. They will make their home on the Gerhardt Gall place west of town and settled down to married life among the felicitations of their friends who wish for them the best that life affords.
Submitted by Karen Hammer.


(unknown year...the only great grandchildren listed were Lambert and Rose Marie Steffensmeier, grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Kluthe)
Mr. and Mrs. Albert VOGEL Celebrate Golden Wedding
Four Generations Present At Impressive Services at Oleyen Sunday

The Sacred Heart Church at Oleyen was the scene of an impressive service Sunday norming on the occasion of the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Vogel. The solmn high mass was celebrated by Rev. A. Kluthe of Spencer, a nephew of the couple as deacon. Rev. Schoop of Oleyen and Rev. Roth of Aloys were subdeacons. A fitting tribute in their sermons were given by Rev. Kluthe and Rev. Schoop to this worthy pair who were united in marriage in the Oleyen church 50 years ago. A granddaughter little Mildred Hagaman carried the golden wreath..a silk pillow and two other ...... granddaughters, Mytle Kluthe and Gertrude Vogel spoke appropriate greetings and wishes to their grandparents on their arrival at the old Vogel farm home, where the reception was held.

Over one hundred and fifty relatives and friends attended the reception at the home which was festive in festoon trimmings of gold and white. The long tables were centered with wedding cakes, the one on the bridal table was ornamented in white and gold letterings. A bounteous dinner and supper were served and after a mid nite lunch all departed leaving with this time honored couple a day of happy remembrance and well wishes.

Mr. and Mrs. Vogel spent forty two years of their married life on the old Vogel farm now occupied by their son Albert. Four years ago the retired from active farming and moved to their present home in Dodge. Always very active in church and school life of the Oleyen communiyt, they lived to see the fulfillment of their dream of earlier days in the erection of the beautiful new church in which they took their voews 50 years ago.

Mr. and Mrs. Vogel, still in very good health are the parents of ten living children, 45 grandchildren and two great granchildren. The children are Albert, Ben, Wm and Joe all of this community, Mesdames Jake Gewehr, J. C. Kluthe, H. W. Parr of Petersburg, Herman Hagaman of Howells, Hy Kampschnieder of Great Falls Montana and John A. Parr. The great grand children are Lambert and Rose Marie Steffensmeier, their mother Mrs. F. Steffensmeier being the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Kluthe. Mrs. J. C. Kluthe is the oldest Vogel daughter.

All the children and their families with the exception of the daughter in Montana were present at the celebration.
Submitted by Karen Hammer.


Dodge Couple Wed 50 Years
Mr. and Mrs. J. C. KLUTHE Observe Golden Wedding Sunday

(Aug. 16, 1953 handwritten)

Relatives and friends, who joined in the grand celebration of the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Kluthe, Sunday were ushered into st. Joseph's Church by Eddy Kluthe of Howells and J. N. Steffensmeier of Salem, South Dakota. The Golden Jubilarians were ushered up the aisle by two little flower boys, Jimmy Steffensmeier of Salem and Donnie Beran of Dodge, and the golden wreath bearer, Jeanette Kluthe of West Point, who wore a gold formal of net over satin. Before the flower bedecked altar the jubilarians received a special blessing bestowed by Rev. Francis Oborny, the celebrant of the High Mass. Select music was rendered by the choir accompanied by organist, Mrs. Fred Litz. The offertory, "Ave Marie" was sung by the men of the choir.

An elaborate banquet was served at the Dodge Auditorium to approximately 125 immediate relatives of the jubilarians. Heartiest congratulations and best wishes were formally extended during the dinner by Ria Steffensmeier of Salme, Ronnie Ulrich of Omaha and Jerry Aschoff of Howells.

During the open house hundreds of friends and relatives came to extend greetings to the honored couple.

The eleven children were present; the three Franciscan daughters from Milwaukee, Sisters M. Emerentia, Berchmans and Noreen, Alfons from West Point (Bertilla) Mrs. F. M. Steffensmeier from Dodge, (Philomena) Mrs. J. N. Steffensmeier from Salem, (Hildegard) Mrs. Ernest Aschoff from Howells, (Theresa) Mrs. Beran from Dodge, (Camella) Mrs. Richard Ulrich from Omaha, Edmund from Howells and Germaine, Mrs. Dennis Kassmeier from Dodge.

The priests present were: Rev. Anthony Kluthe from Omaha; Rev. Rudolph Kluthe from Constance; Rev. Roman Ulrich from Boys Town; and the two Dodge priests, Rev. Francis Oborny and Rev. Jerome Dickes.

Other guests from out of town were Mr. and Mrs. Henry Eikmeier St. Cloud, Minnesota; Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Kluthe and Mr. and Mrs. Bob Seeman of Miller, South Dakota; Mr. Conrad Kluthe of Columbus; Mr. John Koester of Snyder; MRs. Jake Gewehr of Ukiah, Calif.; Mr. and Mrs. Marlyn Heeren of Rock Rapids, Iowa; Leonard Eichacker of Salem, South Dakota; Mr. and Mrs. Tony Bode of Elgin Misses Julie Eikmeier from Rochester, Minn.; Anna Eikmeier from St. Cloud, and Mary Goenner from Clear Lake, Minn.
Submitted by Karen Hammer.


Sacred Heart Church Scene of Beautiful Wedding
Philomena KLUTHE Becomes Bride of Joe STEFFENSMEIER Wednesday Morning

Miss Philomena Kluthe and Mr. Joe N. Steffensmeier were united in marriage at ten o'clock Wednesday morning at the Sacred Heart Church at Oleyen.

The bridal party entered the church to the strains of the wedding march played by Sister M. Spees. The double ring ceremony was performed by Rev. Barkowski in the presence of a large congregation of friends and relatives. The nuptial mass, sung by the Oleyen choir followed the marriage rites.

The bride was stately in her bridal robes of white. Her dress of white satin was trimmed with tiers of Spanish lace and rhinestones made in the new ankle length fashion. Her veil, fashioned cap shape and held in place with pearls and rhinestones fell in folds to the hemline of her gown. She carried a shower bridal boquet and her only ornament was the groom's gift, a necklace.

The bride's maids were the Misses Hildegarda Kluthe, sister of the bride and Thersia Ulrich, cousin of the groom. The groom's attendants were Ed Steffensmeier, brother of the groom and Al Kluthe, brother of the bride. Miss Kluthe wore a dainty creation of orchid satin, tight bodice and deep hem line of lace net. Miss Ulrich wore a dress of coral satin, made similar to Miss Kluthe's. Both maids wore necklaces which were gifts of the bride, and tiny strands of pearls in their hair. They wore black satin slippers with rhinestone buckles and the bride wore white.

A reception dinner and supper were held at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Kluthe. The rooms of the home were trimmed in ribbon streamers of the bridal colors orchid and coral pink with a large white wedding bell forming a canopy over the bride's table which was further graced by a dainty ornamented wedding cake. In the evening a reception was held in the parish hall in Oleyen.

The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Kluthe, prominent farmers living two miles west of town. She is a winsome young lady, reared to womanhood in this community and for several years had been one of the efficient clerks at the Vogltance General Store.

The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Steffensmeier of the S Henrys community north of Howells. He is an ambitious, upright young man. They take with them to their new home the best wishes of their many friends. They will reside on the groom's farm north of Howells.
Submitted by Karen Hammer.


KLUTHE-ASCHOFF NUPTIALS TAKE PLACE AT OLEYEN
Young Couple Will Reside on Groom's Farm near West Point

The Sacred Heart Church in Oleyen was the scene of a lovely fall wedding Wednesday morning when Miss Hildegard Kluthe became the bride of Ernest Aschoff of West Point. Pormptly at nine-thirty the bridal party entered the church to the strains of the wedding march played by Sr. M. Rose and took their places before the flower bedecked altar. Rev. Klein read the lines of the double ring ceremony which was followed by the Nuptial Mass with special music by the choir.

The bride was lovely in all white satin. Her gown, a Levine model, was made on the long slender lines, ankle length; a silk lace jacket was held in place with a rhinestone buckle, short puffs of satin adorned the elbow of the sleeve. Her silk lace veil, floor length, was arranged cap shape, held in place with tiny pearls. She carried a shower boquet of roses and baby breath.

Her sister, Thracy Kluthe, was bridesmaid. Her dress of powder blue was made with a tight fitting bodice and large cape collar trimmed with rhinestones and pearls. Her gloves, pumps and hosiery were egg shell in color.

The groom's attendant was his brother, Henry Aschoff.

Following the ceremony the guests were entertained at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Kluthe, where a reception dinner and supper were served to the immediate relatives. The home was elaborately decorated in teh bridal colors and the bride's table was graced with a lovely wedding cake.

In the evening a reception dance was held in the Reznicek hall here with the Schultz orchestra playing.

The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Kluthe, prominent farmers living west of town. She attended Sacred Heart school in Oleyen and for a number of years had been employed in the Voglstance and later the Reznicek stores in Dodge.

The groom, son of Henry Aschoff of near West Point, is an industrious farmer. The young couple with the good wishes of their many friends will make their home on the groom's farm near West Point.
Submitted by Karen Hammer.


BEEBE-KRACL - KRACL-BEEBE WEDDING AMES METHODIST CHURCH SATURDAY, SEPT. 8
    Miss Joan Kracl of North Bend and Phillip Beebe of Ames were married at the Methodist Church in Ames, Saturday evening, Sept. 8.
    Her parents are Mr. and Mrs. Emil Kracl of North Bend, and she is a granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ondracek and Mrs. Frances Kracl of Schuyler. The bridegroom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Prentise Beebe of Ames.
    The double ring ceremony was performed by the Rev. Tex Moe of Fremont. Appropriate music was provided by Miss Darlene Wesely, pianist.
    Given in marriage by her father, the bride wore a navy blue two-piece dress, with an orchid corsage.
    Miss Shirley Kracl was maid of honor for her sister. She was attired in a two-piece-dress of gunmetal gray and had a rose corsage.
    Prentise Beebe, Jr. was his brother’s attendant.
    Following the ceremony, a reception at the home of bride’s parents honored the bridal couple. Immediate relatives were guests.
    Both bride and bridegroom graduated from North Bend High School. She has been employed by an insurance company in Omaha. Mr. Beebe is engaged in farming northwest of Ames, where the couple will make their home after Sept. 15. --"The Schuyler Sun," Thursday, September 13, 1951 Submitted by Elizabeth Sebranek
BROCK-SCHMOCKER
    The marriage of Miss Lena Schmocker to John H. Brock took place at 9 a.m. today at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. John Schmocker, 2002 Eighth street, the nuptial service being read by Rev. F. Albin Heinz, pastor of the Evangelical Protestant church. The service was simple in form and there were no attendants.
    The guest list was limited to the bride's mother, Mrs. Schmocker; the groom's father, John R. Brock; his brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. John Wuetrich, and two friends of the bride, Miss Cozima Zack and Mrs. Hedwig Jaeggi Fontein.
    The bride was lovely in a beautiful gown of blue crepe romaine, embroidered in dainty pink rosebuds.
    Bouquets of Ophelia roses and several varities of garden flowers were used in the decorations of the home.
    Following the ceremony, a wedding breakfast was served. Roses formed the centerpiece for the table.
    Both Mr. and Mrs. Brock are members of old-time Columbus families. Mrs. Brock is a graduate of Columbus high school and of the Kearney state normal and attended the University of California at Berkeley a summer term. She was a successful teacher in the city schools here several years, but during the past two years she has been doing clerical work in offices at the court house. She is a member of the S.S.S. club and the Business Women's club. Mr. Brock is a veteran of the Spanish war and has been a prominent contractor and builder in Columbus for some years.
    Mr. and Mrs. Brock left today by auto for a honeymoon trip to Lincoln. Upon their return they will make their home with Mrs. Schmocker.--1927 Submitted by Kenny Smith
DOSTAL-SEMERAD
    Tillie M. Semerad and Mr. James L. Dostal whose marriage took place on Tuesday morning, September twenty-fifth. Amid the glow of sunshine and greeted by the music of the wedding march the bridal party entered St. Mary's Church at Tabor at ten o'clock, the processional having been led to the altar by little Miss Elsie Semerad the youngest sister of the bride, who served as flower girl and carried a pretty basket of pink and white carnations. Rev. A. Folta, before whom the marriage vows were spoken, used the double ring service in performing the ceremony and celebrated nuptial mass, a large number of relatives and friends having compromised the congregation present. The church choir furnished music.
    The bride was attractive in her bridal gown of white, her dress of georgette crepe having been combined with tulle and lace, and she wore a necklace of pearls. Framing a wreath of orange blossoms in her hair, her veil fell to the hem of her dress; she carried of bouquet of beautiful Ophelia roses and baby's breath and pretty slip-on gloves, white kid. The bridesmaid, Miss Emma Brichacek, a cousin of the bride, was attired in pink, her dress of canton crepe having been trimmed with lace and ribbons to match, and she wore pearls of a similar color. Her bouquet was a combination of pink roses and fern leaves, and she wore black satin pumps. The flower girl was daintily dressed in white canton crepe. The groom was attended by his nephew, Mr. Amos Steffi, and both wore dark suits.
    A private wedding reception was given in honor of Mr. Dostal and his bride at the home of the lady's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Anton Semerad, where the decorations in the rooms were carried out in a color scheme of pink and white. Two large tables were laid for the wedding dinner and supper, on all white and the second one pink and white. The large bride's cake was pure white with an ornament and centered the first table, and flowers were also used in adding beauty to the banquet board. The guest list was made up of the immediate relatives of the bridal couple.
    In the evening, a reception and dance was tendered to the newlyweds at the Tabor Hall, which was well attended by friends of both families. Music for the happy occasion was furnished by Cech's orchestra, and at midnight the guests were served refreshments.
    The groom is one of the prominent young farmers of the Tabor neighborhood who is so well known that it is not necessary for us to say that he is a son of pioneers, was born and reared here and is now a successful farmer and competent stock man that he is a splendid young man of excellent habits and merits in the esteem in which he is held by all. He is the son of Mrs. John Dostal, Sr., and his bride has also lived all her life in the same vicinity which has been the home of the groom. They have a host of friends in common who wish them the joys of happily wed. She is a lady of pleasing manner and endowed with the characteristics of true womanhood. They were presented with numerous and valuable gifts as a token of love and friendship which will serve as remembrances, in their home, of the happy day. They will live on the groom's farm south of Tabor which has always been his home. That their wedded life may always be a continuation of their present happiness is a wish of the Journal.--Excerpted from "Howells Journal," September 1928 Submitted by Elizabeth Sebranek
KRACL-ONDRACEK - KRACL-ONDRACEK NUPTIALS
    Miss Mildred Ondracek of Omaha, and Emil Kracl of North Bend were quietly united in marriage in Omaha, on Tuesday December 20, 1930. Mrs. Kracl is the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ondracek, well known farmers residing near Rogers. She is a young lady who is worthy of the esteem of many friends both in her home community and in Omaha where she has resided for the past two years. Mr. Kracl is the youngest son of Mrs. Frances Kracl of North Bend.
    Mr. and Mrs. Kracl will make their home on his mother’s farm west of North Bend. --"The Schuyler Sun," Thursday, January 22, 1931 Submitted by Elizabeth Sebranek
LINSTROM-MARES 50th Wedding Anniversary
    Elmer and Erma [Mares] Linstrom are celebrating their 50th Wedding Anniversary, August 26, 1989. They were married at Saint Mary's Church in Schuyler, Nebraska, on August 26, 1939. They have three sons and three daughters, and fourteen grandchildren. Elmer worked for the Post Office in Omaha for 27 years. Erma was a registered nurse. They are now retired. Elmer and Erma will celebrate their Anniversary Mass at St. Patrick's Church, where they have been members for 50 years. We wish them many more years of happiness and congratulate them on this special occasion.
    Love, Their Family. Submitted by Carrie M. Pau
MOERKER-KRACL - KRACL-MOERKER RITES SOLEMNIZED JUNE 8 AT MEAD BAPTIST CHURCH
    Miss Shirley Kracl, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Emil Kracl of North Bend, and Everett Moerker, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Moerker of Fremont, were married in a 3 o’clock double ring ceremony, Sunday, June 8, at Mead Emanuel Baptist Church near Mead. Rev. R. M. Bailey performed the ceremony. Mixed flowerd and seven-branch candelabra decorated the church. White lace net ribbons marked the pews.
    Myron Rudeen of Fremont sang, "O Promise Me," "Because" and "The Lord’s Prayer." George Moore of Mead accompanied him on the organ and played appropriate music during the ceremony.
    The bride, given in marriage by her father, wore a ballerina length gown of white Chantilly-type lace and net over satin. The lace fitted bodice had a peter pan collar, Self-covered buttons closed the back and the long tapering sleeves came to points over the wrists. A Chantilly type lace halo held the nylon fingertip veil in place. She carried a bouquet of pink roses.
    Mrs. Phillip Beebe of Ames was matron of honor for her sister. Her ballerina length gown was of lavendar stain and white marquissette. She carried a lace net fan of daisies. Bridesmaids were Misses Patricia Wesely of North Bend, cousin of the bride, and Lorene Licthenberg of Cedar Bluffs. They wore green and yellow gowns, respectively, and carried lace net fans of daisies.
    Candlelighters were Miss Betty Lou Moerker, sister of the bridegroom, and Miss Ruth Bailey of Mead. Both wore yellow gowns and yellow wrist corsages.
    The bride’s mother wore a navy linen dress and the groom’s mother was attired in a pink linen suit. Their corsages were red roses.
    Following the wedding, a reception was held in the church parlors. Two hundred guests were registered by Miss Phyllis Kracl of Schuyler. Friends of the bride served at the reception.
    Those attending from Schuyler and vicinity were Mr. and Mrs. John Kracl and Miss Phyllis, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Kracl, Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Kracl, Mrs. and Mrs. Charlie Kracl and sons, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ondracek, Misses Joyce Legler, Delores and Loretta Nepper, Jim Waters, Lad and Ed Hamata, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Ondracek and family of Howells, and Mrs. and Mrs. Anton Kracl of Rogers.
    After a wedding trip through the Black Hills, Mr. and Mrs. Moerker will make their home at 433 West 6th St., Fremont. --"The Schuyler Sun," Thursday, June 26, 1952 Submitted by Elizabeth Sebranek
ONDRACEK-SEMERAD - MISS SEMERAD WED AT DODGE CHURCH
    St. Wenceslaus church was the scene of a late fall wedding Tuesday morning, October 28, at 9:00 o'clock, when Miss Elsie Semerad of Dodge, daughter of Mrs. Agnes Semerad, became the bride of John Ondracek, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ondracek of Rogers. Rev. Francis J. Oborny performed the double ring ceremony before the altar decorated with late fall flowers and candles. The bride was given in marriage by her brother, Mr. Edward Semerad. She was attired in a lovely gown of white slipper satin and lace. Panel inserts trimmed the full skirt from waistline to hem and the two-and-a-half-yard train was edged with lace. The bodice was shirred and the sweetheart neckline was outlined with seed pearls; the yoke in the back was lace which formed a V point. Her silk illusion fingertip veil, edged in lace, was held in place with attractive crown of orange blossoms shaped as a sweetheart crown. The bride's bouquet consisted of white roses and mums, and she also carried out the tradition of something old which was a gold bracelet, something new which was her dress, something borrowed was a penny she wore in her shoe and something blue was a bow in her bouquet. The groom presented the bride with a single strand of pearls.
    Miss Victoria Sedivy of La Crosse, Wisc., close friend of the bride, was maid of honor, and Misses Vlasta and Betty Dostal, nieces of the bride, were her bridesmaids. Miss Sedivy wore a dress of ice blue nylon chiffon made with a full shirred basque and short sleeves. The floor-length skirt was designed with three tiers of ruffles trimmed with deep wine bows. The Misses Dostal wore cherry red and lemon yellow gowns of nylon chiffon identical to that of the maid of honor. The latter carried a bouquet of roses and the bridesmaids carried fan-shaped bouquets of yellow and white mums. The also wore feather plumes with velvet streamers in their hair to match their dresses. The bride presented the maid of honor with a compact and the bridesmaids with pearl rosaries.
    The groom was attended by Daniel Pasonault and Milo Dostal, cousins of the bride, and Rynold Zvacek, close friend of the groom. He presented his attendants with identical neckties.
    A reception was held following the church services when the guests were entertained at the home of the bride, and a five-o'clock supper for several hundred guests was served at the Dodge Auditorium. The bride's chosen colors were used in the dining room and in the table appointments. Table waitresses were Alice Dostal, Shirley and JoAnn Kracl, Leota Pasonault, Delores Kroenke, Virginia Mestl and Lavine, Lucille and Elaine Pieper.
    The bride grew up in this community and attended school in Colfax county and since moving to Dodge from the farm several years ago has been employed there.
    The groom grew up near Rogers and attended school in Colfax county. He served three years doing overseas duty. After returning from a wedding trip they are at home on the groom's farm near Rogers.--Excerpted from "Howells Journal" October 1947 Submitted by Elizabeth Sebranek

POOLE-WOODS - MARRIED WITHOUT KNOWING IT
    Thursday, December 26, by Judge Thomas at the residence of J. J. Poole, near Richland, Mr. George W. Poole and Miss Lydia Belle Woods.
    The wedding of Mr. Poole and Miss Woods appears to be far from satisfactory, the young lady claiming that she didn't want to be married; that she didn't know she was being married and never gave her consent. So far as the reporter has been able to learn, the facts are these: Thursday, Judge Thomas was asked to drive out to Mr. Poole's to perform the marriage ceremony of Henry Peterson and his (Mr. Poole's) daughter, Nellie. He was accompanied by judge elect Allen. Upon their arrival George Poole called Judge Thomas one side and informed him that there was a surprise in store for the company present, as he and Miss Woods were to be married. No one, he said, knew it, and that the Judge might marry them first when they came upon the floor instead of the other couple as was intended. As Mr. Poole had been to the Judge's office and procured a license, he, (the Judge) of course thought nothing of the request and kindly consented. As Mr. Poole and Miss Woods were to act as groomsman and bridesmaid, everything appeared all straight when they went on the floor with the other couple. Judge Thomas stood up in front of the company and so could not see the looks of surprise that must have spread over the face of that present when he addressed himself to this couple instead of Mr. Peterson and Miss Poole. The ceremony was over in a moment, the Judge noticing nothing out of the way, only that Miss Woods nodded her head instead of saying yes, but he presumed this was due to embarrassment and took no further notice of it. The right couple was soon married when, as might be expected, the numerous friends called for explanations. Then did Miss Woods claim that she didn't know she was being married? She claimed that she hardly knew what was being done while under the excitement of the moment and supposed what she had gone through was only the part which a bridesmaid must take. She refused to remain with her newly married husband but went back to her parents' place. Mr. W. H. Woods, her father, we hear was very angry and threatened to shoot Mr. Poole if he could find him for deceiving his daughter in this manner. The strange part of this unpleasant affair is that Miss Woods did not realize what was being done if she ever saw a couple married. She is an intelligent lady, 22 years of age, and has taught school in this county for four years. She claims that the proceedings were so sudden that under the excitement of the moment she was unable to say anything. Why Mr. Poole should desire to take such an undue advantage of a lady is not apparent, but the SUN'S version is this: They have been keeping company for some two or three years. We believe George was about discouraged ever winning the hand of the lady by fair means and so thought he would take advantage of her in this way. It was certainly wrong and will cause a great deal of trouble and annoyance to all parties concerned. Judge Thomas feels very sorry that he was unknowingly made party to such a transaction, but says the marriage can be easily annulled when it is shown that fraud was used to deceive the lady. Mr. Poole is 31 years of age.--"The Schuyler Sun," January 2, 1890 Submitted by Gloria Greger
SEMERAD-BUDIN
    The marriage of Miss Mary Budin and Joseph A. Semerad was solemized at ten o'clock on Tuesday morning (April 16, 1912) at St. John's Church. Rev. Zak officiated at the ceremony which was witnessed by the relatives and a number of the friends of both bride and groom. She was handsomly attired in a dress of pale blue messaline silk, and her bridal veil was held in place by a wreath of flowers in her hair. Her bridesmaid was the groom's sister, Miss Bessie Semerad who wore a dainty dress of white, and Amos Dostal attended the groom as best man. At the conclusion of nuptial high mass the marriage was celebrated at the country home of Mr. and Mrs. Cyril Houser, the lady being a sister of the bride. At the arrival of the bridal party and guests were all made welcome and the day spent in feasting and merrymaking. The greater number of guests devoted the afternoon and evening dancing, and a number drove from out of town to assist in celebrating the happy event. The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Budin of this place, and the groom is a son of Joseph Semerad and wife southeast of town. He is an industrious young farmer of the precinct, and both he and his bride have many friends, being highly esteemed by all in the community as this has been their home since childhood. The Journal extends congratulations and wishes the health, wealth, and happiness on their journey through life. --Howells Journal, April 19, 1912 Submitted by Elizabeth Sebranek

SEMERAD-DOSTAL
    Amos Dostal was married at St. Wenceslaus church at Dodge on Monday (November 25, 1912) by Rev. Broz to Miss Bessie Semerad. The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Dostal of the Tabor neighborhood where the groom has formed a large acquaintance during his residence of a lifetime and all who know him are friends. He is a young man of thrifty habits and he and his bride start out in married life with promising prospects.
    She is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Semerad of this precinct and is favored with the esteem of all. The happy event was celebrated at the home of the bride's parents during the remainder of the day and a feast of good things served.
    Mr. and Mrs. Dostal will establish home on a farm near Tabor and the best wishes as well as the congratulations of their many friends are theirs for an abundance of happiness and all else that is considered desirable in this life.--From "The Howells Journal," November 28, 1912 Submitted by Elizabeth Sebranek

SEMERAD-ZRUST - ZRUST-SEMERAD NUPTIALS
    The marriage of Miss Delores Zrust and Jos. J. Semerad of near Tabor, took place Tuesday, August 22, 1950 at St. Mary's church, at Tabor, with Rev. A. Tuma officiating at the double ring ceremony. The church organist, Stanley Lodl, played the wedding march for the processional as the bridal party approached the altar, accompanied the church choir during the nuptial mass and for the recessional.
    The bride was beautifully gowned in white satin for her wedding as she entered the church on the arm of her father. Lace insertion added to the beauty of the her dress, the fitted bodice, buttoned in front, was finished at the neckline with a lace collar, and lace insertion was combined with the satin the the three-yard train that fell into soft folds from the fullness of her skirt. A double-tiered veil of silk illusion cascaded from a sweetheart tiara of orange blossoms and she carried a lovely bouquet of pink roses.
    The bride was attended by Miss Evelyn Reznicek, a niece of the groom, as maid of honor. She wore a gold colored taffeta gown with a heart-shaped picture hat and gloves to match and carried pink chrysanthemums. The bridesmaids were cousins of the bride, Missses Lorene Horak and Irene Bachal the former attired in rose and the latter in a pastel shade of green. Both favored bouquets of yellow chrysanthemums.
    The home of the bride's parents was the scene of an informal reception that honored the newlyweds. Streamers of white, yellow, pink and green were used in the decorations of the dining room caught in a white belt under the center of the ceiling. A large attractively trimmed in white, encircled around the base with pink roses, centered the dining table and was the gift of the bride's sister, Mrs. Anton Kucera, Jr. The cake was topped with a miniature bridal couple.
    The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Anton K. Zrust, highly respected farmers of Midland precinct, and the groom is a son of Joseph A. Semerad, a highly esteemed farmer, from near Tabor. The young couple will make their home on the Semerad farm, southeast of Howells. --"Howells Journal," August 1950 Submitted by Elizabeth Sebranek

VAVRA-DOSTAL - DOSTAL-VAVRA NUPTIALS
    Married at St. Mary’s Catholic church at Tabor Tuesday morning were Miss Sophia Martha Dostal, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Amos Dostal residing southeast of Howells, and Roman John Vavra, son of Frank Vavra residing south of Clarkson. The double ring ceremony was performed at 10 o’clock by Rev. Anthony Tuma, parish priest and those to witness the marriage rites were relatives and close friends of the bridal party. Mrs. William F. Hajek played the processional and recessional marches during the Mass and "Ave Maria" was sung at the offertory. The bridal attendants were the bride’s cousin, Miss Helen Dostal and the bride’s brother, Emil. S. Dostal. Colleen Faye Novacek, niece of the groom, served as ring bearer.
    The bride wore s shimmering white satin gown, fashioned with a floor-length skirt, fitted bodice with a lace yoke embroidered in seed pearls trimmed with a row of self-covered buttons down the back from the neckline to a little below the waistline, long fitted sleeves coming to a point at the wrist. She wore a double fingertip length veil of silk illusion, edged with chantilly lace and was held in place with a crown of seed pearls. She wore white accessories. Her bridal bouquet was a shower of pink roses and sweet peas made up with a touch of green and held together with white satin streamers. She carried a prayerbook, the gift of the groom.
    The bridesmaid was gowned in pink organza fashioned with a floor-length skirt, short puffed sleeves, and a sweetheart neckline trimmed with lace. Lace insertion trimmed both bodice and skirt. She wore pink slippers, a pink flower tiara with a blusher and carried an arm bouquet of roses and sweet peas tied with a pink bow. Her only ornament was a gold cross and chain, the gift of the bride.
    The ring bearer, Colleen Faye Novacek, wore a peach rayon satin dress made with a shirred bolero, short puffed sleeves, small ruffles on the skirt, white slippers and wreath of fresh flowers in her hair. The bride’s gift to her was a gold cross and chain. She carried the wedding rings in a calla lily.
    Following the church ceremony, a wedding reception was held at the home of the bride’s parents, the guest list being limited to immediate relatives of the bridal party. A dinner was served at the noon hour and a like repast at the supper hour. Decorations in the home were carried out in the bride’s chosen colors, white, pink and peach. Festooning in these colors extended from the four corners of the dining room and were caught in the center of the ceiling by a large white bell. Table decorations were a bouquet of flowe4rs and lighted tapers and the bride’ table was centered with a three-tiered wedding cake decorated and bearing a nuptial ornament on top. The cake was made by the bride’s aunt, Mrs. Ben Pickhinke. Table waitresses, all gowned in white were Misses Ruth and Anna Dostal and Mary Semerad.
    Both the bride and groom were born and lived their entire lives in this county, receiving their education in rural schools. They will establish their home on a farm south of Clarkson. --"The Schuyler Sun," Thursday, February 12, 1942 Submitted by Elizabeth Sebranek

Return to Colfax County Home Page

Colfax County NEGenWeb Project Page
This is a free site. © 2011 slb. This page may not be copied or distributed or accessed for profit without the written permission of the copyright holder or the owner of this site. Please notify the site owner if you have come to this site as a result of a paid subscription to another site.