Cuming County Towns

Following is a list of Cuming County Towns.  Those indicated with an * are no longer in existence:

Town

Peak
Population
(Year)

Post Office
Established

Post Office
Discontinued

Notes

Aloys*
Athens*
Bancroft

Beemer

Bismarck*

Buckau*
Catherine*

Cloudy*

Cottage Home*

Cuming*
Dead Timber*
DeWitt*


Edwards*


Elmont*
Germanville*

Griffin*
Lakeview*

Longa Valley*
Manhattan*



Monterey*

New Philadelphia*
North Cedar*
Peterson*

Plum Valley*

Portland*

Rock Creek*

Saint Charles*

Walnut Hill*

West Point


Wisner

15 (1910)

742 (1910)

853 (1980)

--

--
--

--

--

--
--
--


--


--
--

--
--

--
--



32 (1890)

--
--
--

--

--

--

--

--

3,609
(1980)

1,323
(1930)

19 MAR 1885
28 MAY 1884
30 SEP 1889

29 SEP 1884

7 MAR 1881

6 JAN 1873
--

3 JUN 1870

19 SEP 1870

7 APR 1899
--
3 FEB 1858


--


2 JUL 1868
27 JUN 1898

29 MAR 1872
29 JUN 1868

--
--



17 AUG 1882

--
--
30 DEC 1872

19 SEP 1870

21 NOV 1879

--

30 APR 1865

10 OCT 1871

29 MAR 1858


15 JUL 1876

28 DEC 1904
29 JAN 1885
--

--

31 JAN 1902

30 MAY 1883
--

20 MAY 1884

5 OCT 1871

3 JAN 1902
--
26 MAY 1871


--


15 JUL 1870
31 JAN 1902

26 SEP 1883
15 JUL 1876

--
--



24 JUN 1905

--
--
7 JUL 1887

21 APR 1875

31 SEP 1880

--

15 JAN 1899

30 DEC 1872

--


--

Origin unknown.
Moved to Thurston County.
Was Portland. Named for George
Bancroft, noted historian.
Was Rock Creek. Named for
founder, A.D. Beemer.
Named for German statesman, Prince
Leopold von Bismarck-Schonhausen.
Probably named for German city.
Proposed county seat town never
materialized so seat moved to Dewitt.
Named for first postmaster, Frank
Cloudy.
Named for home of first postmaster,
Hugh D. Petteplace.
Named for the county.
Located in Dodge County.
First settlement in county. County seat
after Catherine was abandoned, but
lost to West Point in 1858.
Prospective town laid out in 1884
between West Point and Wisner by
A.D. Beemer.
Origin unknown.
Former village in south part of county
named by German settlers.
Probably named for a local settler.
Name changed to Wisner. Probably
named for a nearby lake.
Former community.
Was to be county seat in 1857, but
West Point was established before
building started. Probably named for
New York City borough.
Probably named for Monterey,
Mexico, battle site in 1846.
Proposed name for West Point.
Former early community.
Was Walnut Hill. Named for first
postmaster, A.M. Peterson.
Probably named for wild plum
thickets in vicinity.
Name changed to Bancroft. Probably
named for places in other states.
Name changed to Beemer in 1884.
Named for location on Rock Creek.
Former village named for Charles
Schueth, first postmaster.
Name changed to Peterson. Probably
named for black walnut tress in area.
First called New Philadelphia. Named
by settlers who thought of it as the
western extreme of white settlement.
Was Lakeview. Named for Samuel P.
Wisner, vice president of SC&P
railroad.


*Source "Perkey's Nebraska Place Names by Elton A. Perkey",
Published by the Nebraska State Historical Society, Lincoln, Nebraska

top of page

Return to the Cuming County main page


This site maintained by Carole Meyer
© 2010 Carole Meyer