Search billions of records on

History of Sherman Township
Cuming County, Nebraska

Taken from the West Point Republican, 1897

The best way to use this page is to use your browser's Find function to search for a surname.

Sherman civil township is all that portion of townships 21 and 22, range 6, that is east of the Elkhorn River and is equal to one congressional township. It is south of Logan, west of Garfield and Cuming townships, north of Dodge county and east of St. Charles township. It had a population of 598 in 1890. The Elkhorn River which forms its western boundary line, is the largest stream in Cuming County. Plum Creek empties into the Elkhorn about one mile upstream from the city of West Point. Originally this part of the county was called West Point precinct, but in 1887 was changed to Sherman.

The first settlement in what is now Sherman township was made in 1857, at a point near the north line and mostly on section 4, township 22, range 6, where it was proposed to establish a town, which should be the county seat. Its name was DeWitt. It never materialized.

Benjamin Moore and family came from Michigan and first located at Dead Timber, Dodge County, in 1856, but the following season came to the southwest quarter of section 4, township 22, range 6, and was the first actual settler. About a dozen other persons, mostly young, unmarried men who expected to become permanent settlers, came about the same time, but most all soon left.

In the Moore family were the parents, B.B. and Anna Moore, the daughter Kate and three sons, Abram, George and Oscar. The father died in 1870. George enlisted in the Union army and died in the wet. Abram was accidentally shot by the bursting of a gun supposed not to have contained a charge. The daughter married Judge J.C. Crawford.

Prior to 1870 the following had effected a settlement in Sherman township: Frederick Koch of section 16, 22 and 6, who came direct from Germany. Messrs. Rhodes and Webb; Fred Gelster of section 9; Martin Stuefer, of section 26; A.F. Fenske, of section 16, 21 and 6; F. Wickert, of section 12, 22 and 6; Fred Metske, John Bysong, James Sullivan, Robert Robb, M. Barnes and a few others.

In 1868 came August Rubin, of section 24; Frederick Wickert, of the same section, came the same year. He homesteaded land on section 23, 22 and 6, and there lived for eleven years.

Among those of a later date may be mentioned Anton Risse, also Wm. A. Smith, who came from Freeport, Illinois, in 1886, and purchased a quarter section of land.

The first school outside of West Point, in the township, was erected in the sixties and is now known as No. 5.

As the country developed educational matters were looked after by the intelligent populace. In 1892 there were four school buildings, Nos. 5, 45, 8 and 47, and many attended the excellent high school at West Point.

This territory is so near the city of West Point, there has never seemed to be any demand for church organizations or buildings.

In 1885, a Farmer's Alliance, made up of Germans, was organized, but four years later it was suspended for lack of interest.

top of page

Return to the Cuming County main page

This site maintained by Carole Meyer
© 2010 Carole Meyer