Custer County, NEGenWeb

Custer County Communities

Custer County NebraskaThe following is a list of communities found in Custer County, past and present.  The information for many of the communities is incomplete as of now and we will keep adding to this page over time, so keep checking back.
 
Abel
Algernon
Anselmo
Ansley
Aranda
Argile
Arnold
Battle Bend
Beechville
Berwyn
Broken Bow
Burroak
Callaway
Campville
Cliff
Climax
Coburgh
Comstock
Cummings Park
Cumro
Custer
Dale
Delight
Doris
Douglas Grove
Elm
Elm Bridge
Elton
Eri
Ernst
Etna
Eudell
Finchville
Gassman Springs
Gates
Gavin
Genet
Georgetown
Goodyear's Ranch
Grant
Green
Guilford
Harlan
High
Highland
Hinckley
Hoosier
Huxley
Janesville
Jefferson
Keota
Kingston
Klump
Lamore
Lee Park
Lena
Leonard
Lillian
Lodi
Lomax
Longwood
Loyal
Lydia
Magoon
Manchester
Marvin
Mason City
McKinley
Merna
Milburn
Milldale
Milton
Myrtle
Nea
Nemo
New Callaway
New Helena
Noel
Obi
Oconto
Olax
Ormsby
Ortello
Over
Phillipsburg
Pilot
Pleasant Hill
Redfern
Rest
Robville
Roten
Round Grove
Round Valley
Ryno
Sargent
Scandia
Seneca
Set Up
Somerford
South Loup
Springville
Stop
Table
Tallin
Triumph
Tuckerville
Tufford
Upton
Victoria
Walworth
Wayne
Weissert
Wescott
Westerville
West Union
Wirt
Woods Park
Woods Stage Ranch
Yucca
Yucca Hill

star line

Abel:

star line

Algernon: 

star line

Anselmo:  This town was named after Anselmo B. Smith.  He was a civil engineer employed by the Lincoln Town-Site Company.  He platted the towns along the Burlington railroad and platted Anselmo on 20 Nov 1886.

star line

Ansley:  The first settlement was made here in the spring of 1886, the post office being established on April 20th. of that year.  The town was named for Eliza Ansley, sister of the president of the Lincoln Land Company.  She had invested a large sum of money in the newly platted community.

star line

Aranda:

star line

Argile:

star line

Arnold:  This town was named in honor of George Arnold, a member of the ranch firm of Arnold and Ritchie.  He located in the vicinity in 1875, the town was platted in 1883 and the post office was established on 18 April 1877.

star line

Battle Bend:

star line

Beechville: 

star line

Berwyn: The town was platted in 1886, by the Lincoln Town-Site Company and was named after a railroad surveyor.  The name was changed from Janesville in December of 1886.

star line

Broken Bow: This town was laid out in June of 1882 and was elected county seat in January of 1883.  Broken Bow was named by Wilson Hewitt, after three other names he had previously submitted were refused.  The name was inspired by his sons, who found a broken bow at an old indian campsite.  Broken Bow is the largest town in Custer County, with a 1994 population of 3,830.

star line

Burroak:

star line

Callaway: This town was surveyed and platted in 1885.  A post office was established here on 30 Aug 1880 and named Set Up.  On 23 Sep 1880, the name was changed to Delight.  This name was most likely used because of its location in Delight Township.  The town name was changed once again on 29 Apr 1886, to Grant.  This name was almost certainly chosen in honor of Ulysses S. Grant.  The name was changed for the last time on 02 Aug 1886.  It was named after S. R. Callaway, general manager of the Union Pacific Railroad.

star line

Campville:

star line

Cliff:

star line

Climax: A post office was established here in 1909 and was discontinued in 1927.  The town was named by Mary T. Ewing who owned the farm on which it was located.  She was also in charge of the post office when it was established.

star line

Coburgh:

star line

Comstock:

star line

Cummings Park:

star line

Cumro:  The following is from a Nebraska State Historical marker at Cumro, Nebraska:   "Cumro, named by William Edmunds for his home town in Wales, was a thriving frontier settlement located between Georgetown Post Office, four miles to the west, and Eudell Post Office, three miles to the east.  It boasted a school, blacksmith shop, physician and store, with a church and cemetery to the north.  Cumro Post Office was established in 1885, with Morgan W. Jones as postmaster and discontinued in April, 1943.  In the summer of 1877 the Kearney and Black Hills Stage Line followed the South Loup River Valley with stops south of Eudell and at Georgetown.  A Union Pacific Line planned for the valley was surveyed through Cumro in the 1880's but the line was never built because the railroad experienced financial difficulties.  Cattlemen began bringing cattle into the valley in 1869 and conflicts erupted when homesteaders challenged the cattlemen's claim to the land.  Fierce blizzards of 1880 & 1881 decimated the herds hastening the end of the open range.  Among descendents of the cattlemen and homesteaders who settled the area can be found such names as George, Morgan, Trew, Wood and many others."

star line

Custer:

star line

Dale:

star line

Delight:

star line

Doris:

star line

Douglas Grove:

star line

Elm:

star line

Elm Bridge:

star line

Elton:

star line

Eri:

star line

Ernst:

star line

Etna:

star line

Eudell:

star line

Finchville:

star line

Gassman Springs:

star line

Gates:

star line

Gavin:

star line

Genet:

star line

Georgetown:

star line

Goodyear's Ranch:

star line

Grant:

star line

Green:

star line

Guilford:

star line

Harlan:

star line

High:

star line

Highland:

star line

Hinckley:

star line

Hoosier:

star line

Huxley:

star line

Janesville:

star line

Jefferson:

star line

Keota:

star line

Kingston:

star line

Klump:  Jacob B. Klump and Jane (Parkinson) Klump acquired the land in 1882 or 1883.  Jacob and the boys worked there for about a year building a sod house and improvements.  The rest of the family lived in York during this time.  The family had moved there from Jo Daviess County, Illinois.  In 1884, the family moved to the farm.  Jane Klump became a postmistress.  I am not sure of the date, but it is probably in Nebraska Name Places.  She died in 1906 and the postoffice was closed.  She ran
the postoffice in her home.  For many years Klump was on the maps as a community, but it was always a farm and postoffice.  (This information was provided by Peggy Struwe)

star line

Lamore:

star line

Lee Park:

star line

Lena:

star line

Leonard:

star line

Lillian:

star line

Lodi:

star line

Lomax:

star line

Longwood:

star line

Loyal:

star line

Lydia:

star line

Magoon:

star line

Manchester:

star line

Marvin:

star line

Mason City:

star line

McKinley:

star line

Merna:

star line

Milburn:

star line

Milldale:

star line

Milton:

star line

Myrtle:

star line

Nea:

star line

Nemo:

star line

New Callaway:

star line

New Helena:

star line

Noel:

star line

Obi:

star line

Oconto:

star line

Olax:

star line

Ormsby:

star line

Ortello:

star line

Over:

star line

Phillipsburg:

star line

Pilot:

star line

Pleasant Hill:

star line

Redfern:

star line

Rest:

star line

Robville:

star line

Roten:

star line

Round Grove:

star line

Round Valley:

star line

Ryno:

star line

Sargent:  If you click on the link here, you will be taken to another page that was created from a "Suplement to The Sargent Leader", dated  August 2, 1907.  This page was generously provided by Frank Manning.

star line

Scandia:

star line

Seneca:

star line

Set Up:

star line

Somerford:

star line

South Loup:

star line

Springville:

star line

Stop:

star line

Table:

star line

Tallin:

star line

Triumph:

star line

Tuckerville:

star line

Tufford:

star line

Upton:

star line

Victoria:

star line

Walworth:

star line

Wayne:

star line

Weissert:

star line

Wescott:

star line

Westerville: 

star line

West Union:

star line

Wirt:

star line

Woods Park:

star line

Woods Stage Ranch:

star line

Yucca:

star line

Yucca Hill:

star line


Return to:  Custer County Menu
Custer County Cemeteries

Please send additions, comments, and corrections to:
Randy & Jeri Jones
Last Updated: April 9, 1998