Deuel County NEGenWeb Project © 1997 to 2006 BAS & MHP
 
 
USGenWeb Logo NEGenWeb Deuel map
 
BIG SPRINGS HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
1914-2004
 

1914-1930
1931-1940
1941-1950
1951-1960
1961-1970
1971-1980
1981-1990
1991-2004
 
(Click on above date to see record)
If you wish to update or correct names please contact:  mhpalser@atcjet.net
Big Springs High School History
 

Big Springs Rural High School dates back to 1914, when this branch of higher learning was established, with classes being conducted in the old Grade School Building. The High School was operated through the local school district. In 1921, under the direction of Loren Root, Supt. of Schools, a Rural High School District was formed. This district comprised a number of the rural districts in the eastern portion of Deuel County. Mr. John Menter, Mr. John Warren and Rev. Snyder served as the first School Board Members. Miss Mary Eatwell was the High School Superintendent, with a faculty of four, and an enrollment of approximately 40 students. Due to lack of facilities, extra curricular activities were at a minimum. However, a basketball team was formed, with practice sessions held out-of-doors, and actual games being played in "Waterman Hall", now the second story of the Heidemann building. The present High School Building was put to first use in 1923, when the Junior and Senior Class Plays were presented in the auditorium. However, the class of 1923 did not graduate in the auditorium due to extremely wet grounds. The graduating class of that year included three members. The move to the new building was completed during the summer, and in the fall of 1923, the first classes were held. Thus, the class of 1924 holds the distinction of being the first to receive diplomas from the elegant new building, with the class of 1927 being the first to have attended their entire four years of high school in the present building. Basketball was greatly enhanced and expanded with the facilities provided by the sparkling new gymnasium...one of the finest in the area and football got underway in 1924, under the direction of Supt. P.C. Redfern. In addition to increased sports activities, facilities were now available for a continued addition to the curriculum during the next few years. Included were band, glee clubs, typing and commercial subjects, dramatics, Normal Training and Home Economics. In 1928, after the Smith-Hughes Agricultural Dept. act approved the erection of a Vocation Agricultural building, this splendid structure was built and equipped as a shop building, where farm boys were able to "learn by doing," and Agriculture became a very important subject at BSHS. In 1943 the High School was admitted to membership in the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Thus, graduates were fully equipped to meet college entrance requirements, with a diploma from a fully accredited school system. In 1950 the football field was remodeled and lights were installed. The May Fete celebration, including the winding of the May Pole, was the highlight of each spring during the 40's, 50's and early 60's. Music programs were an important part of the 50's and 60's with girls trio, quartet, madrigal, pep band, jazz band and orchestra (even a string bass!) FFA, FHA and Home Economics were active and still an important part of High School life. 1954 was the first year for girl's basketball. 

In May of 1965 a proposed bond issue of $425,000 for the building of an elementary school was voted on and passed by a majority of the patrons of the district. Construction started in December 1965 with completion in May, 1967. The class of 1967 held their graduation ceremonies in the new gymnasium on May 14, 1967. During the summer of 1967 the lower grade classrooms were moved to the new building and the addition opened in the fall of that year. With the addition of the new classrooms and gymnasium the old gym was remodeled  and made into classrooms and library facility. 

In the late 1970's a new 7,200 square foot building was erected north of the school buildings. This building houses the industrial arts workshop and classroom areas, along with bus barn, basketball practice area The first chapter of Future Business Leaders of America was organized in 1983. During the summer of 1988, the home economics room was completely remodeled. Also, at this time the hallway and north entrance into the old building was removed and new men's and women's restrooms added. In the fall of 1989, the upstairs of the new shop building was transformed into a fitness center for community and school use. That same year six IBM computers were purchased and networked in the school. Big Springs entered into a cooperative sharing program with the Brule Public Schools and the combined athletic teams chose South Platte Blue Knights as their new name and mascot. South Platte Blue Knights joined the minuteman Activities Conference in 1990. 

On May 13, 1995 the last official class to graduate from Big Springs High School held their ceremony in the Big Springs gymnasium.  After several years of half and full day sharing programs with Brule, plans were put into effect to reorganize the school districts and consolidate. On August 1, 1995 Big Springs Public School District #80 and Brule Public Schools #17, officially became South Platte Public Schools, District #95.  

The Big Springs Rural High School Alumni Association was an idea conceived by the Young Matrons' Club. After considerable discussion, the idea gathered momentum and was presented to more BSRHS graduates. Glen Kepler was contacted and he consented to head a discussion meeting. One member from each class was asked to attend to gain further ideas and aid in setting the machinery in motion. From this meeting, our Alumni Association was born. The Big Springs High School Alumni Association wished the very best to the future South Platte High School graduates. May your memories be as sweet as ours!  

The first officers to be elected were: 

Lewis Fox........................................President 
Harlan Peterson.......................Vice-President 
Gloria Rhoades................................Secretary 
Mildred Bieber................................Treasurer 

The first Annual Alumni Banquet was held in May, 1951. As the record decisively indicates, our Alumni Association, through the work of this first group, was set on a solid foundation. Each year a great number of BSRHS graduates come from all over the United States to renew acquaintances. There is every indication that the event will continue to maintain the ranks of post graduates. 

 

If you are having problems with this page please contact us
Mary H. Palser and Betty Aron Schneider
 
If the above link will not work for you try this one
 Mary H. Palser and Betty Aron Schneider
and be sure to put "Deuel County Alumni 2" in the subject line.  Thank you.
You are our 1867th visitor since November 10, 1997 -- thanks for stopping by!
 
 
 
RootsWeb logo