T'HE "Great American Desert" explorers called it, gazing for the first time over the parched and barren high plains region of which the Nebraska panhandle and Deuel County is a part. These prairies were the hunting grounds of the Sioux nation and in 1834 the land was set aside by the United States government as Indian country. Then came the white man, pushing westward into the territory then called the Cow Country. Following the railroad builders came the homesteaders, who fenced the grasslands, broke the sod, and claimed the land for their own.
The region which is now Deuel County, the smallest county in the panhandle and one of the smallest in Nebraska, has shared in all these shifting phases. Its dusty plains have shaken to the thunder of buffalo herds fleeing the deadly Sioux arrow. It has heard the Pony Express rider pass in the night, known the slow moving trains of immigrant wagons along the Oregon Trail, heard the ring of steel as the railroad builders moved west.
Before the first white settlers came to the region in 1850 it was part of the hunting grounds of the Oglala and Brule Indians, the two most powerful bands of the Teton Sioux. They camped along Lodgepole Creek and the South Platte River, hunting buffalo in the hills bordering the streams. As the influx of trappers and gold seekers became greater the hunting grounds were cut in two. Trouble between the whites and the Indians grew and battles occurred with more frequency as one race tried to keep its tribal grounds and the other sought to push through to the beckoning gold fields of California and the fur resources of the Northwest.
After the battle between soldiers from Fort Laramie and a band of Sioux under Spotted Tail, the Indians retreated down the South Platte and after burning Julesburg, ascended the Lodgepole valley to a point near Chappell and from there proceeded north to Mud Springs. At Fort Laramie In 1868 the Oglala and Brule chiefs and representatives of the government met to divide the territory.
The land north of the North Platte River and east of the Big Horn mountains was to be set aside as Indian territory. In return the Indians promised not to molest travel and forts on the highways south of the river.
Before the telegraph was built through this region in 1861 the Pony Express was the only means of communication between the East and the West. The express route entered Deuel County near Big Spring, following the Platte south to Julesburg, Colo. The portion of it which followed Lodgepole creek from Julesburg to Thirty Mile Ridge (Sidney) and then north to Mud Springs, was established by Jules Beni, a half breed trader for whom Julesburg was named. Jim Moore was the first rider along "Jules Stretch." He was followed by Col. W F "Buffalo Bill" Cody, the youngest rider in all the two thousand mile Pony Express route.
The Oregon Trail route lay near the eastern boundary of Deuel County. It crossed the South Platte at the lower California crossing opposite Big Spring and then angled northwest to Ash Hollow in Garden County, where it reached the north branch of the river.
Deuel County was first a part of Lyon County, which, with Monroe and Taylor Counties, comprised what is now western Nebraska. When Nebraska was admitted as a state, what is now Deuel County was then in Cheyenne.
Following the trail blazed by the trappers and gold seekers, the Union Pacific railroad flung itself across the country. Building west from Omaha, the workmen reached what is now Deuel County in 1868. At this time there were twelve organized counties in Nebraska and settlements along the Platte as far west as Grand Island. In charge of construction in the western division was young Charles Henry Chappell, an Illinois railroad man. Lumber, rails and food for the construction gangs were shipped from Omaha to the end of the road, with the instructions, "Send this to Chappell." The siding, then only a station house, was thus christened Chappell and was later to become the county seat.
The railroad stimulated settlement, especially in the southern part of the county, along Lodgepole creek and the South Platte river. Soon Deuel County homesteaders were building their barns and houses with lumber from the northwest; oranges from Florida, lamps and nails from Illinois found themselves on merchant's shelves. Army posts, established for the protection of railroad crews, offered security from Indian raids and were partly responsible for the increased push of settlers into the county.
This region took part in that great epoch of
the west in American history, the development and decline of the Cow Country.
In large herds, yearlings from Texas were driven north to the Union Pacific
railroad and shipped east from Ogallala. Great cattle companies ranged
their herds, numbering thousands, in this region, dominating the grazing
lands, taking possession of watering places, and illegally fencing the
Deuel Who's Who
Friction between farmers and cattlemen grew as more and more homesteaders came into the country to take their small claims and break up the open range. In some areas bloodshed and feuds resulted but here the adjustment was made without serious incident. Cattlemen were gradually forced out of the region, leaving it to small farmers. The end of large company operations came with the herd law of 1887. In that year the last general roundup of the North Platte valley area was made. After the dissolution of the cattle companies the scene was dominated by other cattlemen, who operated on a smaller scale. As late as 1909 entire pages in weekly newspapers were devoted to brand ads which gave the brand of each rancher and the extent of his range, some of which took in areas extending from Lodgepole creek to the North Platte river.
The presence of soldiers at the Lodgepole army post nine miles west of Chappell encouraged immigrants to file in Deuel County. Some of the first settlers in Deuel County were a group of Swedish immigrants who took out homesteads in the north central part of the county in 1884, shortly after the land was surveyed. The first to come were eight men from York County, Fred Moline, Fred Froid, C. G. Carlson, John Sandall, Albert Nelson, Henry and Oscar Lindstrom and Otto Amberg. Some years later a Mennonite settlement was established farther south of the Swedish settlement.
In 1884 Chappell was only a railroad siding with a station house and one small shack. The new arrivals came to Denver junction, now Julesburg, in a mover wagon and then drove north to where the land remained unclaimed. They picked out their quarter sections as they drove along in the wagon, and then returned to North Platte to file on their claims. Six months later, in the early spring of 1885, they brought their families in immigrant cars and built the first homes on the north divide. Some built sod houses and others built small shelters of wood.
The water on the north table was too deep for their well drilling machine so for the first year they hauled their water from a spring. Water was so scarce then that the homesteaders swept up snow and melted it for household use. Later, when a few wells had been dug, a charge of five cents a barrel was made. The settlers cut red cedar in the canyons along the North river for fuel and fence posts. Cow and buffalo chips and the jumbo sunflower were also gathered for fuel. Salt pork, corn meal, potatoes and onions were the staple foods. Along the North river grew wild hay for the stock and in the canyons and sand hills were chokecherries and ground cherries which were picked and dried for winter use.
In 1886 a sod church was built, the first in the region. The building served as the school house for three months of the year. The teacher, Alfred Swanson, one of the homesteaders, drove to school behind a team of oxen.
The same year the church was built, mail was brought from Julesburg on horseback to the post office at the Froid homestead. In 1887 the town of Froid was laid out about a mile northeast of the post office. In 1889 the soddy became the publishing office of the Froid Gazette, published by Dedrich Nelson. The paper engaged in the heated controversy over the county seat and then expired. The town never became a reality. The post office was moved to the farm of Andrew Benzen, to whose blacksmith shop the settlers brought tools for repairs.
In 1887 the Berea Swedish Lutheran Church was organized by Rev. J. Torrell, president of the Nebraska conference. In 1888 Rev. F. W. Berquist moved into the community and became the first pastor of the little sod church.
In 1889 and 1890 a diphtheria plague visited the community. The only physicians were traveling doctors who remained in Julesburg and Chappell for short periods. During this epidemic, Mrs. Nels Nelson, a crippled woman, went from one stricken home to another tending the sick.
The years 1880, 1884 and 1888 are notable for the dangerous "three day" blizzards which were the most severe during those winters. When these storms swept over the prairies, large herds of cattle were killed in the heavy snow. Farmers returning from the canyons were caught far from home and were frozen to death in the drifts. Settlers often saw herds of wild horses and antelope seeking shelter near their soddies. It was sometimes days before they could dig through the snow to the barn to feed their stock.
After the first few years there followed a period of drought. The years 1894 and 1895 were the most severe in the county's history. Hot winds seared the already stunted crops. Food became scarce and famine threatened the homesteaders. Carloads of food and clothing were shipped out from eastern Nebraska to help the western farmers, but many settlers, discouraged after years of insufficient rainfall, traded their land for a mule or a team of horses and returned east. Fathers and mothers left their families and went to Denver or back to their old homes to earn a little money.
Years of agitation preceded the division of
Deuel County from Cheyenne. The first indication of the movement is found
in the Chappell Register, on the pages of its first issue in Chappell.
Formerly the Cheyenne County Register, published at Lodgepole. the paper
emerged as the Chappell Register on Sept.
29, 1887. Yensen and Morgan were the publishers. From the first they were enthusiastic supporters of the proposed "Cody" County.
On Oct. 3 the question of division was formally submitted to the voters by the Cheyenne County Board of Commissioners. Letters to the editors advocated the establishment of Cody County, pointing out the north river people had to pay from $10 to $15 a trip to Sidney, the county seat, and the eastern part of the county had to pay its share of taxes although no crime had been committed east of Lodgepole for several years.
Division was defeated in 1887, but carried in the election of Nov. 6, 1888. The new county was not Cody, but Deuel, named for Harry P. Deuel, division superintendent of the Union Pacific railroad. Along with Deuel the counties of Banner, Kimball, and Scotts Bluff were created out of Cheyenne. Chappell, with a large bonfire and two anvils joyfully celebrated the occasion.
When the new county was created, the tablelands were filling up with settlers. The two towns, Chappell and Big Spring, were growing in population. Chappell, the temporary county seat, had one hotel, two general stores, two doctors, one blacksmith shop, two livery stables, one notion store, one restaurant, one millinery store, one shoe maker, one lumber yard, two hardware stores, one broom factory and two weekly papers, the Register and the Anti-Saloon Rustler. Forty-four pupils attended the new two-story school for the nine month term. Post offices were located at Froid and at Hartman, six miles north of the present city of Oshkosh.
Land seekers were pouring into the county; caravans of immigrant wagons filled the streets almost every day. Land agents reported most of the claims put in their hands in the spring had been withdrawn since the heavy rains, and it was almost impossible to find anyone wanting to sell his claim. This was done despite low prices and a scarcity of money. Trade was carried on almost entirely by barter. Outgoing mail almost ceased as there was not enough money to buy postage stamps. Land sold at $12.50 an acre. The previous two years had demonstrated that wheat could be grown successfully on the high table land. At the Chappell Fair were displayed potatoes, wheat, oats, corn, squash, citron, buckwheat, sugar cane, flax and millet. Sorghum mills were busy. Quail and wild geese were plentiful on the divide and antelope were so tame they became pets for farm children.
Chappell grew slowly from a railroad siding and began to take on the proportions of a village. Immigrants to the gold fields in the Black Hills and to land claims in this region had passed through the town but few permanent settlers located in the village itself. John O'Neil, the first station agent, is believed to have been the first resident. He occupied his post from 1880 to 1885. The depot was part dug-out, railroad ties, and the wreck of an old freight car.
Depot Agent O'Neil was also the first teacher, acting in that capacity after several families had moved into the little settlement. The first school was called in the depot and carried on without funds, school district, or teaching authority. The old section house was the birthplace of the first white child to be horn in Deuel County, Dora Wolf, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. D. Wolf.
The town site of Chappell was surveyed and laid out in the summer of 1884 by J. B. and M. A. Carmichael and the plats were filed at Sidney on Aug. 27, 1884. The first lots were sold to George W. McCluskey who built the first store in Chappell and became the first postmaster.
The county's first paper was the Chappell Rustler, which appeared July 1, 1885. Ira Brashears, old soldier and itinerant preacher, was the publisher. In 1887 the paper was moved to Ramsey. Brashears also built the first frame dwelling house in the town, now known as the Mayfield house. In this building from 1883 to 1885 Brashears conducted the first church services. Regular services were later held in the frame school house built in the '80's. In 1896 the Methodist organization erected the first church building.
Isaac Woolf, who for many years traveled the territory as a peddler, built the first hotel. Woolf was also an auctioneer and held sales all over the North river country. After the establishment of the county he was county judge for twenty-eight years and often rode long distances to help catch cattle rustlers. J. B. Laycock founded the other hotel, known as the Chappell House. In 1886 the Commercial Bank was established.
When the first frame school house was built Miss Allie Warner came out from New York to teach. She later became the wife of John O'Neil. Other well known persons of the period were Dr. W. H. Babcock, who conducted church services when the traveling preacher failed to appear; Joe Johnson and Eugene Fish, merchants; and August Neumann, rancher.
Chappell was not incorporated as a village until Sept. 10, 1907 and even then a farm or two was taken in to find the two hundred people required for incorporation. The first trustees were H. I. Babcock, Oran B. Bower, Fred Sudman, John Wertz, and Charles Soeton.
Big Spring, on the South Platte river in the eastern part of the county, is an older settlement than Chappell. Its name is derived from the nearby spring which furnished water for settlers in that community. The village was platted by the Union Pacific railroad in November, 1884, only three months after Chappell was laid out.
It was near Big Spring, on the Shiedley ranch,
that the first dry farming in western Nebraska was demonstrated. Otto Baumgarten
plowed land on an island in the South Platte and raised good crops there,
surprising the cattlemen, who did not believe any crops could grow in the
Immediately after the creation. of Deuel County a three cornered fight for the county seat began among Big Spring, Chappell and Froid. According to the Register, even Julesburg, Colo., had its eye on the plum.
The first election of county officers was held Jan. 15, 1889, and the first meeting of the county board was called to order one week later. The officers were George P. Smith, judge; Ed Herrington, clerk; W. H. Sigler, treasurer; Reuben Lisco, sheriff; Dr. W. H. Babcock, coroner; F. W. Starks, superintendent of schools; and B. G. Hoover, H. G. Gumaer, and Willis Lee, commissioners. Hoover was elected chairman of the board, and Chappell, by a vote of two to one, was designated the temporary county seat until an election determined its permanent location. The Deuel County seat has always been Chappell, but it took a series of elections and law suits before the location was finally determined on Aug.11, 1894.
No town received a majority of votes at the January, 1889 election, so the commissioners located it temporarily at Chappell and called a special election for Feb.12, 1889.
Chappell, Big Spring, and Froid sought the county seat. Chappell precinct had 275 legal voters, and Big Spring had 200 legal voters. Zealous citizens took the "get out the vote" campaign seriously in those days for Chappell precinct reported 3,120 votes, all but 7 for Chappell, and Big Spring precinct returns were 5,616 votes, all but 87 for Big Spring. Froid, with more honesty but less civic pride, could show only 292 votes.
Versions of what actually occurred on that historic election day conflict. According to one story, Chappell voters, hearing Big Spring had a vote of 3,000, put in a few more than that and quit. Big Spring, however, did not stop at 3,000. The Register charged election officials there with inserting 1,300 ballots printed at Ogallala, after the polls had closed. Charges of illegal voting flew back and forth between the two communities, with the truth of the allegations all too obvious. On Feb. 28, 1889 the Register informed its readers Chappell still was the county seat and announced its determination to keep them posted on its exact location from time to time. County officers were enjoined from moving their offices to Big Spring, and were to remain in Chappell until the county seat was determined by a legal election.
Final disposal of the 1889 election was made in the April term of district court, 1894. Judge Silas A. Holcombe delivered the decision of the court. Because all ballots and records of the elections had been destroyed or stolen and the court could not determine the exact number of legal ballots cast at each polling place, the election was declared null and void. The county commissioners were directed to call a new election. In that election, June 23, 1894, for the second time no town received a majority. Following an election on July 21, in which Chappell received a majority, it was declared the county seat on Aug.11, 1894.
After the organization of the county there followed a period of road improvement and bridge building. The first bridge was built across the Blue river in 1890. The much-discussed bridges across the North Platte river at Lewellen and Oshkosh were built in 1891.
Although most Deuel County land is unsuitable for irrigation, several projects were started in this period. The first important movement for irrigation was in the northern part of the county. Bond elections were called in several precincts for the appropriation of money for extending the Belmont Canal to the tables between the North Platte and Lodgepole creek. After an independent investigation by a few old-timers, it was found elevation of the Froid table was from 75 to 90 feet too high to use the water from the Belmont intake and the elections were recalled. When the county was divided Garden County took most of the irrigated land. The Western Irrigation district, which waters a large tract near Julesburg, is the most extensive irrigated area in Deuel County at the present time. In recent years, farmers in the valley of the Lodgepole have found pump irrigation successful.
In the midst of the many organization problems in the new county, impeachment proceedings were instituted against a county officer. E. S. Kennison, elected sheriff in 1899, was found to be unsatisfactory because of his heavy drinking. Lawless elements played on that weakness and it soon became apparent that law enforcement was suffering as a consequence. Impeachment proceedings were withdrawn when Kennison resigned and his deputy, W. H. McEldowney, took office.
Deuel County lost three fourths of its original
territory in the election of 1909, when Garden County was formed out of
the northern portion. After the completion of the railroad up the Platte
in 1908 the settlers in that territory began agitating for county division.
Although Chappell was much closer than Sidney had been in the Cheyenne
County days, some of the ranchers in the exreme northern part had to travel
seventy-five miles to the county seat.
In 1915 the present county court house was built on the site of the first small building which had served the county during its stormy organization days.
At about this time the type of farming was undergoing a definite change. Wheat production on a large scale was beginning to dominate the agricultural scene. Steam engines drew the plows and large areas of sod were opened up to cultivation. Half sections and whole sections of land were planted to wheat. To conserve soil moisture summer tilling came into use. The farmers planted grain one year and the next allowed the ground to lie fallow. Wheat production mounted until that crop became the chief source of income. In 1930, the peak wheat year, 58,000 acres of wheat were planted and one and a half million bushels were shipped out of the county.
The problem of wresting the fertile acres from buffalo grass, of building warm sod houses and erecting schools, are no longer the problems of the present day. Low farm prices, drought, dust storms and an increase in tenant farming have come to take their places. Among the organizations seeking a solution to these difficult questions is the Farm Bureau, started in 1917.
Deuel County now has a population of 3,991.
Chappell's population is 1,061, and Big Spring, 595. These two towns are
trading centers for a farming region which in years of normal rainfall
produces abundant crops. Thirty-four school districts now serve the
county. Secondary schools are the Big Spring Rural high school and the
Deuel County high school at Chappell.
AKESON, ROY PERRY : Farmer; b Cass Co, Neb Feb 20, 1588; s of Peter M Akeson-Emma Lenhoff; ed Deuel Co; U of Wyo; Ia State Coll; m Leffie Terry Oct 12, 1929 Chappell; s Berton T, Walter T; d Barbara A; 1909- farmer, stock raiser; 1919- dir Farmers Elevator Co, Chappell; 1937- dir Deuel Co State Bank, Chappell; 1912- mbr sch bd dist 63; 1925-33 regent Deuel Co HS; past grand IOOF; Meth Ch; hobby, history; res Chappell.
BACHMAN, JOHN: Stockman; b Odessa, Russia May 14, 1883; s of Gottieb Bachman-Rena Stoller; ed Sutton; m Rose Craine May 21, 1906 Bradshaw; s Wilber J, Harold (dec), Robert J, Allen J. John J, Glen J; d Esther (Mrs. Luther Wemberley), Evelyn; 1906-08 farmer near Stockham; 1908-13 buyer & feeder in Stockham; 1914-18 farmed in Hall Co; 1918-32 ptr in Blaine Livestock Commission Co, Grand Island; 1932-35 whol & retail gasoline bus, Grand Island; 1935- ptr in Chappell Sales Pavilion; Bapt Ch; res Chappell.
BROWN, GUS BRUINGTON: Farmer & Dairyman; b Aledo, ILL July 29, 1879 s of Joshua Brown-Mary Dilley ed Deuel Co; Wallace Bus Coll, Denver; m Retta F Hooper Dec 23, 1906 Plattsmouth; s Curtis B; 1888 came to Neb; 1902- farmer & stockman in Deuel Co; 1917- owner & mgr. of Brown Lodge Dairy, Chappell; past master of AF&AM; past grand IOOF; Meth Ch; Rep; hobby, hunting; res RFD 1, Chappell.
BROWN MRS RETTA F: Homemaker; b Falls City, Neb Nov 8, 1882; d of David Curtis Hooper-Mary E. Catron; ed Lincoln; Chicago Northwestern U; U of N, BA 1906; m G B Brown Dec 23, 1906 Plattsmouth; s Curtis B; 1906-07 tchr Blair HS; 1913-22 supt Deuel Co schs; 1922-32 tchr Chappell HS; past pres ch I, PEO; past worthy matron OES; past Noble grand Rebekah; Meth Ch; hobby, astronomy; res RFD 1, Chappell.
BRUNE, WILLIAM FRED: Auto Dealer; b Westhalia, Germany Mar 3, 1883; s of Julius Brune-Maria Ernstmeier; ed Erfurt Thuringen Germany m Frances K Wagner Jan 29 1910 Lincoln; s William J, Norman C, Elmer Lee; d Frances Lucile; 1901-09 farmer in Benton Co Ia; 1909 came to Neb; 1910-18 owner & mgr. of Coca Cola Bottling Co, Lincoln; 1918- owner & mgr Brune Motor Co Chappell; past mbr town bd; past mbr C of C; Neb Auto Dirs Assn; AF&AM; Rotary; Luth Ch; hobbies, hunting, fishing; res Chappell.
CABELA, ALBIN CHARLES: Hardware & Furniture Dealer; b Brainard, Neb July 13, 1906; s of James Cabela-Barbara Tuma; ed Brainard; m Marion Brady Sept 4, 1935 Chappell; s Richard Neal, James William; 1924-30 with father in James Cabela Hdw & Furniture Store, Brainard; 1930-32 interior decorator; 1932- ptr in Cabela Brothers Hdw & Furn, Chappell; Neb Retail Hdw Dirs Assn; KC; Cath Ch; hobby, landscaping; res Chappell.
CABELA, LOUIS EDWARD: Hardware & Furniture Dealer; b Brainard, Neb Jan 2, 1902; s of James Cabela-Barbara Tuma; ed Brainard; Grand Island Bus Coll; m Eleanor Sobotka June 9, 1932 Lincoln; d Barbara Lou; 1923-25 with father in James Cabela Hdw & Furn Store, Brainard; 1925-32 with Litty Motor Co, Brainard; 1932- ptr in Cabela Bros Hdw & Furn Store, Chappell; Neb Retail Hdw Dirs Assn; KC; Cath Ch; hobby, travel; res Chappell.
CLOUSE, DALLAS A: Attorney; b Coldwater, O Apr 23, 1904; s of Jacob Clouse-Luetta Kelly; ed Danbury; STC; U of N, BA 1928, LLB 1933; m Ruth Emig Aug 22, 1937 Fremont; 1924-25 tchr Danbury sch; 1928-29 supt & coach Goehner sch; 1930-31 with law firm of Harlow W Keys, Spencer & Spencer, Indianola; 1933-34 engineer Neb highway dept; 1934- prac law in Chappell; 1935-39 Deuel Co attorney; Western Neb, Neb St & Amer Bar Assns; MWA; Congl Ch; hobby, geology; res Chappell.
COLMAN, ALBERT C L A R E NCE: Physician & Surgeon; b Holt Co. Neb Oct 31, 1883; s of Orange J Colman-Martha E Sizer; ed Osceola & Columbus; Lincoln Med Coll, MD 1907; U of N; ILL Post Grand Med Sch; Tau Alpha Epsilon; m Lulu Fullerton Oct 9, 1907 Lincoln; d Margaret (Mrs George B Cook); 1907-12 prac in Ewing; 1913-16 prac in Adams Co; 1917- phys & surg, Chappell; 1928- Deuel Co phys; past city phys; past mayor; 1923 state representative, 42nd Session; past pres Holt Co Med Soc; Deuel-Cheyenne & Kimball Co Med Soc; Neb St & AMA; AF&AM; Scot Rite; 32nd degree; Tehama Shrine; Meth Ch; hobby, hunting; res Chappell.
DORN, DAYTON HENRY: Lumber & Grain Dealer; b Big Spring, Neb Apr 22, 1905; s of Frank Dorn-Kate Henry; ed Big Spring; U of N, BA 1926; Pi Kappa Phi; m Virginia McCoy June 11, 1930 North Platte; d Patricia Kathryn; 1926-27 with father in hdw & grain bus, Big Spring; 1937- owner & mgr of Dorn Elevators, Big Spring; 1937- ptr in Frank Dorn Hdw Co, mbr town sch bds; mbr bd of rural HS; pres Big Spring fire dept; AF&AM; Scot Rite; IOOF; Lions; Gun Club; Meth Ch; hobby, trapshooting; res Big Spring.
FRITCHNAN, ROBERT A: Merchant; b Plattsmouth, Neb May 23, 1908; s of William Fritchman-Alice Schultice; ed Plattsmouth; U of N; m Erna Schwartz Oct 19, 1929 Grant; d Carob Joyce, Alyce Ann; 1928-30 with CB&Q RR, Grant; 1930-36 with father in contracting bus in Cal; 1936- ptr & mgr Sullivan Dept Store, Chappell; C of C; Rotary; Luth Ch; hobby, fishing; res Chappell.
HARRIS, SQUIRE OLIVER: Physician & Surgeon; b Daviess Co, Mo June 14, 1879; s of James Harris-Eliza Girdner; ed Butler Co; Creighton U, MD 1910; m Nellie Hirsch Jan 1, 1903 Gresbam (dec); s Donald J, R Stanley; d Myrtle (Mrs Ed Smallcomb), Ethelmae (Mrs Melvin Criswell); m Ruth Marie Shuch 1928 Kearney; 1910-25 phys & surg at Gresham; 1925-29 prac in Kearney; 1930- owner & mgr Harris Hosp, Chappell; past mbr sch bd; past pres Cheyenne-Kimball-Deuel Co M e d Soc; past pres 12th dist Neb St Med Assn; AMA; past master AF &AM, Gresham; IOOF; hobby, livestock; off Harris Hosp; res Chappell.
JOHNSON, THOMAS MARTIN: Real Estate Dealer & Farmer; b Bethany, Mo Feb 15, 1871; s of Joseph C Johnson-Laura Lewellen; ed Harrison Co Mo; Chappell; Denver U Bus Coll; m May B Loveland Oct 10, 1898 Julesburg Cob; s Joseph L: d Laura Belle (Mrs S R Ferris). Dorothy M; 1885 came to Neb; 1892 homesteaded near Chappell; 1893-95 asst cash Comml Bank, Chappell; 1895-96 asst cash Citizens Bank, Julesburg Colo; 1897-1908 P M Chappell; 1898-1908-owner & publisher Chappell Register; 1908- real est dir; 1910-21 VP First Natl Bank, Chappell; 1922-32 cash Chappell State Bank; past mbr sch bd dist 7; past secy bd of regents Deuel Co HS; past master AF&AM; past worthy patron & ch mbr OES; RAM; KT: Tangier Shrine; Meth Ch; hobby, horses; off & res Chappell.
KJELDGAARD, ANDREAS: Banker & Farmer; b Herman, Neb Mar 18. 1888; s of Martin Kjeldgaard-Anna Johnson; ed Washington Co; Brush Colo; U of N, BA 1814: 1916- pres Farmers State Bank, Big Spring; 1916- farmer & stock feeder; past mbr town & sch bds: Luth Ch; hobby, fishing; off & res, Big Spring.
KJELDGAARD, CARL W: Farmer & Rancher: b Herman, Dec 4, 1891; s of Martin Kjeldgaard-Anna Johnson; ed Washington Co; Brush Cool; U of N; in Vieva Dorn Sept 4, 1925 Sidney; s Wayne C; d Joanne V, Glennys D; 1911-16 with Stockmans Natl Bank, Brush Colo; 1916- cash & VP Farmers State Bank, Big Spring; 1916- farmer & stock feeder; during World War with U S army 10th div 41st inf, 1918-19; Meth Ch; hobby, cattle; res Big Spring.
KLINDT WILLIAM HENRY: Banker b Fort Calhoun Neb Mar
21, 1879; sof Eggert Klindt-Lena Stoltenberg; ed Fort Calhoun; WSTC;
m Mary Brandt Feb 11 1909 Council Bluffs Ia; s Edgar, Herbert, Henry;
d Marguerite, Lois; 1900-11 farmer In Pottawatamie Co Ia; 1911 16
real est & ins agt in Big Spring; 1916- asst cash Farmers State
Scot Rite; Meth Ch; hobbies, woodcraft & fishing; res Big Spring.
LASELLE, G L E N N SAUNDERS: County Clerk; b Cortland, Neb Apr 19, 1888; s of Frank G LaSelle-Harriett Saunders; ed Cortland & Chappell; in Vernice C Brown May 10, 1909 Chappell; s Robert B; d Mary (Mrs Leonard Jankoosky); 1908-13 asst cash Comml Bank, Chappell; 1911-17 asst cash & cash First Natl Bank, Julesburg Colo; 1917-20 ptr LaSelle Bros Store, Chappell; 1920-21 asst cash Deuel Co State Bank; 1923- Deuel Co clk; Neb Assn of Co Comms, Co Clks, Co Registers of Deeds & Co Highway Comms; C of C; past master AF&AM; Meth Ch; off Courthouse; res Chappell.
LINCH, HARRY BENJAMIN: Dentist; b Greenwood Neb Dec 12, 1889; s of William A Linch-Arvilla Foreman: ed Lincoln U of N DDS 1916; Xi Psi Phi; m Nettie Clare Brown Dec 27, 1917 Lincoln s Harry Jackson; d Laurel Lee 1916 17 dentist, Lincoln; 1917-24 dentist Chappell; 1924 prac in Big Spring; AF&AM; Lions; Neb St & ADA; Meth Ch; hobby, golf; res Big Spring.
McCORMICK, JACK GRAHAM: County Judge; b Crete, Neb Nov 15, 1885;
s of Christopher McCormick-Margaret Wood; ed Deuel Co; York; Grand Island
Bus Coll; m Charlotte Davis July 8, 1912 Kimball; s J Weldon, Byron E;
1907-08 tchr Deuel Co; 1909-16 Deuel Co clk; 1912- bonded abstractor;
1917-18 during World War mbr draft bd &
acting co judge; past mbr town & sch bds; C of C; past master
AF&AM; Meth Ch: off Courthouse; res Chappell.
McGRALE, ROBERT F R A N C E S: Real Estate Dealer & Farmer; b Peoria Co, Ill Mar 1, 1872; s of Anthony McGrale-Mary Fermel; ed Peoria Co Ill; Utica; in Minnie G Wolf June 30, 1902 Sidney; s Myron Leo: d Marie Dorothy (Mrs R L Smith); 1893-99 homesteaded & taught sch in Deuel Co; 1900-04 Deuel Co supt of schs; 1904-14 ptr in Big Spring Merc Co; 1914- real est dir & farmer, Chappell ; past mbr town bd; Cath Ch; hobby, bridge; res Chappell.
MENTOR, JOHN ALBERT: Attorney; b DeWitt, Neb July 26, 1906; s of John H Mentor-Mary Ulrich; ed DeWitt; U of N, LLB 1934, BA 1934; Delta Theta Phi; 1936- prac law & ins agt, Big Spring; 1918- city atty, Big Spring; Neb St Bar Assn; Lions; Luth Ch; Dem; hobby, boating; res Big Spring.
MORRISON, J R: Farmer & Live-stock Raiser; b Co Fermanagh; Ireland Dec 22. 1862; s of lames Douglas Morrison-Mary Armstrong; ed grade sch: m Laura Rogers July 2, l890 Chester; d Nellie Fern (Mrs Guy C Deffke) ; crossed ocean in sailing vessel in 1870; came to Neb in prairie schooner 1880; 1897-99 mbr from Thayer Co in Neb legislature; instrumental in org & was 1st pres of Farm bur of Deuel Co 1919; pres Farmers Elevator Assn of Neb 1931-39; 1931-39 dir Natl Co-op Elevator Assn ; 1918- pres Farmers Elevator Co of Chappell; IOOF; KP; LOOM; Improved Order of Red Men; hob-bies, co-op orgns; res Chappell.
O'CONNOR, BENJAMIN JEROME: Machinist; b Harrisburg, Penn Nov 5. 1876; s of David O'Connor-Mary Donahue; ed Philadelphia; in Mary O'Connor June 1911 Chicago; s John D. Benjamin J; d Ann, Mary Rit, Margaret Ellen Patricia; 1897-1909 In building & construction work. Norristown Penn; 1909-18 construction work, Chappell; 1918- owner & mgr O'Connor Machine Shop, Chappell; mbr city coun; street commr; Cath Ch; res Chappell.
O'CONNOR, DANIEL EDWARD: Osteopath; b Hilliard, Penn Sept 3.
1890; s of William O'Connor-Rose Yake; ed Hilliard Penn: Still Coll of
Osteopathy, Des Moines Ia; Kansas City U of Physicians & Surgeons,
MD 1919; Iota Tau Sigma; m Lenore Gilbert Sept 18, 1925 Lincoln; s John
d Carol Lenore; 1929- osteopath, Chappell; past mbr sch & town bds; C of C; Rotary; AF&AM; Meth Ch; hobbies, hunting, golf; res Chappell.
PETERSON, CHESTER ANTHONY: Banker; b Oshkosh, Neb June 24, 1903; s of Henry C Peterson-Alice M Atkinson; ed Deuel Co; m Mary Lorene McWilliams Aug 5, 1924 Julesburg Colo; s Harold C; d Mary Alice; 1921-32 asst cash Chappell State Bank; 1935- cash Deuel Co State Bank. Chappell; C of C; past master AF&AM 205; Meth Ch; hobby, music; off & res Chappell.
PETERSON, HENRY C: Rancher; b Pottawatammie Co, Ia Feb 15, 1882; s of Peter S Peterson-Lena Hansen; ed Cheyenne & Deuel Cos; m Alice Atkinson Sept 24, 1902 Chappell; s Chester A, Walter W, Wayne M; d Henrietta I (Mrs John Cramer), Bertha (dec); 1903-09 Deuel Co rancher; 1909-14 Deuel Co treas; 1914-34 pres Chappell State Bank; 1934-36 VP & treas Bank for Cooperatives, Omaha; 1936- ptr Chappell Sales Pavilion; past regent, Chappell HS; past city treas 16 years; past mbr Neb guaranty fund. commission; past master AF&AM; Scot Rite 32 degree; Tangier Shrine; Meth Ch; res Chappell.
PETERSON, WALTER WILLIAM: Elevator Manager; b Garden Co, Neb Dec 7. 1906; s of Henry C Peterson-Alice M Atkinson; ed Deuel Co; U of N; m Idris B Newman Nov 26, 1926 Chappell; 1927-30 with Farmers Grain Elevator at Chappell, 1930-mgr; 1928- mbr town bd; Rotary; Meth Ch; hobby, saddle horses; res Chappell.
ROBERTSON, MRS KATE: Hotel Owner; b Dawson Co, Neb Feb 5, 1885; d of John H Mueller-Mary Cooley; ed Dawson Co; Elwood; m W H Robertson Nov 6, 1906 Elwood; s Lynn E; 1906-33 with husband on farm in Dawson Co; 1933-34 in cafe bus, Elwood; 1934- owner & mgr Chappell Hotel; past pres Chappell Home Craft Club; Chris Ch; res Chappell.
SHUEY, RALPH: Publisher; b Burchard, Neb Oct 7, 1908; s of Walter Shuey-Lura Blair; ed Lewiston HS; Neb Wes; U of N; Everett; m Bernice Hodges Oct 30, 1937 Julesburg Colo; 1921-17 mgr & editor Deuel Co Herald, Big Spring; 1937- owner & publisher Deuel Co Herald; 1938-39 chief vol fire dept; Lions; hobbies, golf, tennis, baseball, basketball, collecting dimes; res Big Spring.
SMITH, EARL FRANKLIN: Farmer; b Fremont Co, Ia Apr 26, 1891; s of Silas A Smith-Katie Larison; ed Pacific Junction Ia; m Mayme E. Ward Apr 26. 1913 Helvey; s Lawrence M, Lloyd E; d Marjorie R, Wilma J, Wanda (dec); 1912-28 farmed In Jefferson Co; 1924- farmer in Deuel Co; 1934- co commr, 1938 re-elec.; dir Farmers Co-op Oil Co, Big Spring; 1933- mbr sch bd dist 30; Deuel Co Farm Bur; IOOF; Meth Ch; hobby, livestock; res RFD, Big Spring.
SMITH, HAVEN NORRIS: Farmer; b Chappell, Neb May
28. 1909; s of Fred E Smith-June Mower; ed Chappell;
U of N, BSc 1934; Alpha Zeta; Pi Epsilon Pi; Farm House; Pershing Rifles;
m Virginia E Dodd Aug 30. 1931 Shenandoah Ia; 1931- farmer Deuel Co: 1935-
mbr ACP com; 1938- mbr Deuel Co Farm Bur bd; mbr Co 4-H com; Neb Certified
Potato Growers Assn; Meth Ch; hobby, poultry; res RFD, Chappell
THORNBURG, THORNTON K: Merchant; b Saline Co, Neb Jan 12, 1893; s of William L Thornburg-Hattie Frances Brown; ed Saline Co; m Merle E Aikman Apr 26, 1921 Harvard; s Gerald A; d Kathryn Louise; 1908-18 with Stain Bros Co & Kerman Shoe Co, Hastings; 1918-24 farmed in Clay Co; 1924-27 asst mgr of Buck's Booterie in Nebraska City; 1927-29 mgr Buck's Booterie, North Platte; 1929- owner & mgr of Variety Store, Chappell; past mbr town bd; 1917-18 during World War in U S army with AEF. 352nd inf hdqrs Co stationed at Bonet France; C of C; Rotary; AF&AM; Meth Ch; hobby, forestry; res Chappell.
WALLACE, BEN: Clergyman; b Waterville, Kas Mar 6, 1903; s of Thomas Wallace-Eveline Lindell; ed Washington Co Kas: Neb Wes, BA 1930; Boston U Sch of Theology, STB 1934; Blue Key; Theta Phi Sigma; m Mildred Craven June 4, 1931 Albion; s Thomas H; d Elizabeth Ann; 1934-36 minister Hubbell Meth Ch; 1936-38 minister Alvo Meth Ch; 1938- minister Meth Ch in Big Spring; AF&AM; hobby, first editions; res Big Spring.
WEIBLE, WILLIAM: Merchant; b Otoe Co, Neb Sept 19, 1891; s of Jacob Weible Katherine Ritter; ed Otoe Co; m Dora Kastens Feb 17, 1915 Otoe Co; s Kenneth J, Keith Alden; 1911-21 farmed in Otoe Co; 1921-24 owner & mgr Chappell dairy; 1924-28 owner & mgr. Chappell Ice & Produce Co; 1928- owner & mgr Waible's Red & White Grocery & Mkt; hobby, poultry; res Chappell.
WEIST (WIEST), VERN MONT: Superintendent of Schools; b Junction City, Kas Feb 14, 1894; s of John Weist (Wiest)-Rebecca Stewart; ed Swanton; U of N, BA 1920; Columbia U, MA 19130; Colo St Tchrs Coll, Greeley; m Lillian Breunger June 14, 1923 Lincoln; s Robert J; d Joyce Elaine; 1918-19 during World War with 340th machine gun batt 89th div AEF, army of occupation; 1919-21 prin Humboldt HS; 1921-23 supt Louisville schs; 1923-30 prin Jr & Sr HS's, Holdrege; 1930- supt of Chappell schs; past comm Amer Leg, Holdrege, past ajt Chappell post; NSTA; Neb Schoolmasters Club; NEA; Meth Ch; hobbies. fishing, hunting; off & res Chappell.
WHITE, HOWARD S: Lumber & Hardware Dealer; b Phillipsburg, Kas Aug 26, 1884; s of Albert White- Carrie Young; ad Odell; Kansas St Bus Coll, Salina Kas; m Lela Grace E Howard July .4, 1919 Gretna Kas; s Howard Jr, Warren; d Winifred Grace; 1907-18 in lbr bus, Kas & Okla; 1918-32 with Starling Lbr & Investment Co, Chappell & Big Spring Neb, & Deertrail, Colo; 1932-with Dorn Lbr & Grain Co, Big Spring; past treas sch bd; 1936-chmn town bd; AF&AM; Meth Ch; res Big Spring.
WILTSE, MARY ELIZABETH: County Superintendent of Schools; b Richardson Co, Neb Apr 14, 1881; d of Jerome Wiltse-Mary Wahl; ed Falls City; PSTC, BA 1924; U of N MA 1926; 1900-18 tchr Richardson Co, also instr in art & English depts, Falls City; 1918-20 with QMC general's dept, Washington D C; 1920-24 tchr, Two Harbors Minn HS; 1926-34 tchr Big Spring HS; 1934-Deuel Co supt of schs; mbr Dist 6, Assn of Co Supts; Rebekah; Meth Ch; hobby, children; off Courthouse; res Chappell.
ZIMMER, LLOYD J: Mortician; b Pleasanton, Neb Apr 22, 1908; s of Adolph H Zimmer-Minnie Rhine; ed Pleasanton; U of Minn; KSTC; m Vera Waters May 24, 1936 Sidney; d Jeanice Lynette; 1932-31 with Anderson Funeral Home, Kearney; 1933-34 with J G Love Furniture & Undertaking Parlors, Ravenna; 1935- 37 org Farmers Co-op Funeral Assn, Beemer; 1937- owner & mgr. Zimmer Funeral Home, Chappell; Neb St Assn of Embalmers & Funeral Dirs; Natl Assn of Embalmers & Funeral Dirs; IOOF; Math Ch; hobby, woodcraft; res Chappell.
Thanks to Jim Schneider for scanning and proofing the above.