aka: The Magic City - Porkopolis - South"O" Douglas County, Nebraska
SOME FIRST EVENTS
The first settler was John Bagley, Sr., in August 1854 at 33rd and F Street.
The first boarding house in May 1884 was kept by a man named Jones - "Bill Jones", they called him. He had seventy-five boarders in a small frame building on the east side of Twenty-fifth Street between N and M Streets.
The first two lots sold after the list prices were set and the town blocked out was purchased by William Kerr and Martin Spoettle on June 4, 1884; although George Masson bought lots 5 and 6, in block 12, in April before any lots had been placed on the market.
W. G. Sloane set up the first general store in June 1884.
The first death occurred July 4, 1884. Thomas Kerr, infant son of William and Onie Kerr, died on that day.
The first school building in South Omaha was located just south of St. Mary's Cemetery in 1884.
The first school in the stockyard district was established in 1885 as District No. 3, with Anna M. Carroll as its teacher in a small building between the stockyards and 24th Street. She was paid $40 per month.
L. H. Carpenter came to South Omaha in 1885 and bought out Jesse Hogate, who started the first livery stable in the village.
The first male child born was Henry Wordeman, at the corner of Twenty-fifth and M Streets, in July 1885.
The first marriage was that of John F. Richart and Mrs. Anna Williams on August 22, 1885 by the Rev. Dr. Patterson, rector of St. Marks' Espiscopal Church, Omaha.
The first newspaper was the Globe published by J. B. Erion, October 30, 1885.
The first Catholic service was the celebration of mass the first Sunday of November, 1885 in the Ryan School House, on 24th Street between N and M Streets, by the Rev. John Jeanette, pastor of St. Patrick's Church in Omaha.
The first doctor was J. M. Glasglow in June 1886.
The first female child born was Catherine Rowley, daughter of Patrick and Annie Rowley. She was born on Railroad Avenue between N and O Streets, on August 3, 1886.
Charles Akofer came to South Omaha August 28, 1886. He was the first permanent butcher.
The first High School was erected in 1887 at a cost of $11,000 at 25th and L Streets.
John Howe, called "Jack", for short, had the first blacksmith shop on Twenty-fifth Street between N and O Streets.
The first retail business was a tavern owned by Martin Spoettle at 25th and M Street.
The first election was held April 5, 1887.
The first fire company formed was in 1887 and the first Fire Chief was Fred J. Smith.
The first Mayor was Ezra P. Savage who served in 1887 and 1888.
The fare was a nickel and the first electric streetcar came into South Omaha to 24th and N Streets on 19 December 1889.
The first Village Board was C. M. Hunt, E. P. Savage, W. G. Sloane, I. A. Brayton and F. J. Slelter.
The Pioneer City Council of 1895
Seated: John F. Franek, Jo Maley, Tom Hoctor, Jim Bulla, Ed Johnson, Jack Walters
Standing: Pat Hyland, Jack Ryan, Henry Mies, William Mulally and M. F. (Mel) Blanchard.
Douglas Co. NEGenWeb Back to South Omaha Index