aka: The Magic City - Porkopolis - South"O" Douglas County, Nebraska
SOUTH OMAHA CHURCHES
With most South Omaha residents from Ireland or southern and eastern Europe, the majority of churches were Roman Catholic:
St. Agnes was organized in 1888 and a building was constructed the following year at 2211 Q Street, with the Rev. D. W. Moriarty as the first pastor for 15 years.
An influx of Czechs resulted in Assumption parish in 1891 and construction of a church at 22nd and U Streets in 1894.
In 1895, St. Bridget's was founded at 26th and F Streets, followed by the St. Francis parish in 1899 to serve Polish-American families.
Lithuanians established St. Anthony's at 32nd and S Streets in 1901, the same year that Irish settlers formed St. Mary's at 36th and Q Streets.
Other denominations weren't left out:
Methodist Episcopal followers built a church at 23rd and N Streets in 1886, followed by Presbyterians in 1887 at 23rd and J Streets.
Baptist built a church at 25th and H Streets in 1892, followed by a Bethlehem Presbyterian Church built by Bohemians at the turn of the century.
Lutheran churches were established in the early part of the 20th century.
A synagogue was created in 1909 at 25th and J Streets from an old Presbyterian Church.
|Douglas Co. NEGenWeb||Back to South Omaha Index|