aka: The Magic City - Porkopolis - South"O" Douglas County, Nebraska
THE END OF SOUTH OMAHA
South Omaha's existence as a separate city ended in June 1915, when it was annexed to Omaha by a recorded vote of 11,428 in favor of the merger and 1,585 against it. The two cities had been converging economically and socially for some time. The two cities were linked by an electric trolley line in December 1889. The trolley line ran from 22nd Street and Ames Avenue in Omaha to 24th and N Streets in South Omaha. It was promised that even with annexation, it would always have its own police court, jail and police judge, a library, high school and sub-treasury.
The last City Council consisted of Pat LaVelle, Henry Hartnett, Henry Murphy, Jack Cavanaugh, Tom Alton, Tom Hoctor, Johnny Marcell, Louis Ginek, Jay N. Williams, Johnnie Riha and big John Riches.
South Omaha was a great melting pot and at different times had residents from most nationalities. For the hundreds of thousands of residents that have called it home, South Omaha is more an honest spirit of individualism than a location on a map or a period in time.
Douglas Co. NEGenWeb Back to South Omaha Index