aka: The Magic City - Porkopolis - South"O" Douglas County, Nebraska
SOUTH OMAHA MORTUARIES
Founded in 1888 as Brewer and Sullivan Mortuary on South 25th Street, Brewer-Korisko Mortuary has had several locations in South Omaha. It presently is at 5108 F Street and in its 110th year of business. The name also changed several times through the years. It became Brewer and Peters Mortuary just after the turn of the century and Brewer-Korisko in the late 1920's when Aloise Korisko joined George Brewer in business.
G. H. Brewer settled in the great packing center January 15, 1888 and went into business with D. Sullivan under the firm name of Brewer & Sullivan, furniture dealers and undertakers. In 1891 the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Brewer continued in the undertaking business. In June 1892 the furniture firm of Brewer, Sloane & Co. was formed by G. H. Brewer, W. G. Sloane and Eli H. (Dowd) Doud.
The Larkin Funeral Home was founded by Bernard J. Larkin in 1909 in a storefront in the 4800 block of South 24th Street. The Larkin brothers, Bernard J., John J. and Mark A., operated the funeral home in its early years. Although they now have two locations, one remains in South Omaha at 4428 South 24th Street.
|Douglas Co. NEGenWeb||Back to South Omaha Index|