Search billions of records on

South Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska
aka: The Magic City - Porkopolis - South"O"
Douglas County, Nebraska


By 1892, South Omaha had 2,931 school-age children and 32 teachers. This was also the year the city graduated its first high school class of five students at a brick building on 25th and L Streets.
South Omaha High School graduates, 1892
Seated: Marion Thompson, Mary Bell Reed, Jeanette "Ettie" Boyd Mullen
Standing: H. B. Martin, Charles M. Johnson

Marion Thompson, daughter of George W. Thompson, a weigher at the Union Stock Yards and resided near 21st and J Streets. Marion's brother, Ernest Thompson, was a Swift & Company clerk. After graduating Marion taught at Albright grade school. She married Elza McGlasson on 2 November 1898. 

Mary Bell Reed, daughter of Harvey W. Reed, a grader and resided near 28th and S Streets. Mary's sister was Etta Reed (Cockrell). Mary taught grade school at West Side after graduating and married Anthony Miller on 30 April 1904. 
Jeanette "Ettie" Boyd Mullen, daughter of Charles L. Mullen, Cudahy a stationary engineer-steamfitter and resided near 21st and L Streets. Jeanette's brother, Louis Mullen, was a student and laborer. Ettie taught at Brown Park grade school and married Henry C. Richmond on 15 May 1901. 
H. B. Martin was a Swift and Company laborer from 1893 to 1894. 
Charles M. Johnson was principle of West Side school from 1899 to 1900. He married Christina Lund on 28 April 1894. 
E-Mail Douglas Co. NEGenWeb Back to South Omaha Index