The Nebraska Signal
06 Dec 1995
Emma Ellen Knutzen was born to Claus Fredrich and Theresa Frieda (Bose) Knutzen on Feb. 16, 1899 at Bellwood. She passed away on Nov 24, 1995, at the Blue Valley Lutheran Home in Hebron, at the age of 96 years, 9 months and 7 days. She was one of six children in the family.
When Emma was four the family moved to Columbus, and then to Riverdale. In 1905, the family moved to a farm four and a half miles east of Bruning, where she attended rural school at District No. 31. In 1911, the family moved into Bruning.
For a number of years Emma clerked in retail stores in Burning. She cared for her aging parents, until their death and then lived with her sister Minnie. She helped with the care of many people in their homes and was an excellent seamstress.
She was baptized on April 16, 1899, by Rev. G. F. Luebker and was confirmed on April 5, 1914 by Rev. Carl Dagefoerde.
She was a member of the Trinity Lutheran Church, where she also taught Sunday School for many years and sang in the choir. She also sang form many funerals and wedding over her active musical years.
Emma was preceded in death by her parents; brothers, Henry and John; sisters, Minnie Van Weston, Lena Greenwald, and Marie Philippi.
She is survived by nieces and nephews; many other relatives and friends.
Funeral services were conducted from the Trinity Lutheran Church in Bruning on Tuesday, Nov. 28, with the Rev. Vern Barlow officiating.
Joan Langhorst accompanied the congregation who sang "Just As I Amí and "Beautiful Savior."
Casket bearers were Wayne Bowman, Robert Deterding, Russell Knutzen, Kurt Philippi, James Steider and Larry Steider.
Interment was in the Trinity Lutheran Cemetery with the Farmer & Son Funeral Home in charge of arrangements.
Memorials are directed to the Blue Valley Lutheran Home in Hebron.
CARD OF THANKS
The nieces and nephews of Emma Knutzen would like to say thank you for the flowers, food and memorials at the time of her passing. A special thank you to Rev. Vern Barlow for his many visits and to the staff of the Blue Valley Lutheran Home for their loving care.