Last updated: 07 October, 2004
Nebraska State Genealogical Society Journals NEBRASKA ANCESTREE
Vol 2, no 1 pages 27-28 - Summer 1979
Transcription of Articles: Volunteers of NEGenWeb Project Ted and Carole Miller, Connie Snyder and Kathleen Harrison
Original Article appeared in: "ANCESTREE", Volume Two, no. 1 Summer 1979, pp. 27-28
Submitted by: Mrs. Georgene Morris Sones, Omaha
Permission to Re-publish to NEGenWeb pages by: Nebraska State Genealogical Society, owner of "ANCESTREE."
Nebraska was one of the 29 States (and the Territory of Alaska) which was known as "public land States". All lands are now owned by either the Federal Government or persons receiving titles from that source.
The General Land Office was first established in 1812, and functioned under the Treasury Department. In 1849 it was transferred to the Dept. of Interior, then, in 1946, after the consolidation with the Grazing Service, the Bureau of Land Management resulted. The Bureau of Land Management supervises the public domain and executes the laws relating to public land.
A person wishing to make an "entry" (obtain a tract of land) went before the Register of the district land office and completed documents and made financial arrangements to indicate the desire to obtain a title to the type of "entry" he wished. After these formalities the papers were forwarded to the General Land Office for review. If all was proper a patent was issued, but often a delay of months and even years would occur before the patent was issued because the General Land Office was often far behind in its work.
The following indicates the various land offices in Nebraska and their tenure:
Guide to Genealogical Records in the National Archives. 1964.
Preliminary Inventory of the Land-Entry Papers of the General Land Office. 1949.
** Note: These electronic pages are provided for your personal use, and may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for presentation in any form by any other organization or individual. They may be freely copied for your personal use. **
© 2000 for NSGS & NEGenWeb Project