Fillmore County, Nebraska

(Last Updated 07/11/2004 )

 

Fairmont welcomes you!

 

Note:  Historical information from The Fillmore County Story, Wilbur G Gaffney, 1968.

History:

The section of land where the town of Fairmont, Nebraska now sits was originally pre-empted by four soldiers for the South Platte Land Company in the spring of 1871.  In order, to be eligible to keep the claim, the soldiers had to make improvements which consisted of four board shacks, one in each corner of the 4 sections that came together.  The South Platte Land Company used these buildings as their offices for land sales and completion of title transactions.  The land company surveyed the town and sold off lots.  By the fall of 1871, there were several businesses established.

The town continued to prosper because the Burlington Railroad came through and one train stayed overnight in Fairmont each night.  By the fall of 1872 Fairmont was a bustling prairie town with:

Photo of historical marker

Photo of old Creamery Office

Fairmont Cemetery:

Photographs:

The Fairmont Cemetery Association has prepared a transcription of the Fairmont Cemetery.  This book can be purchased for $20.00 by writing to:

Fairmont Cemetery Association

P.O. Box 428

Fairmont, NE 68354

Fairmont Churches:

Residents living in or near Fairmont:

Some of the early residents in or near Fairmont were:

 

 

Photo of Post Office and other businesses in Fairmont

 

May 2001

Return to Homepage

Last Updated:  Sunday, July 11, 2004

Copyrightę 2000 - 2004 
Sharlene K. Miller. 
All rights reserved.