Fillmore County, Nebraska

(Last Updated 07/14/2004 )

Nebraska State Gazetteer
Business Directory & Farmer List
for 1890 and 1891
J. M. Wolf & Co., Publishers
510 Paxton Block
Omaha, Nebraska 1890

This page  was transcribed and formatted by Sharlene K. Miller. All rights are reserved. This page is for use as a reference only and may not be reproduced or published by any method.

Ohiowa

Ohiowa is situated on the DeWitt and Holredge branch of the B.M.R.R., in the southeastern part of Fillmore county, 15 miles from Geneva, the county seat. It has a population of 600, and is growing rapidly, upward of 50 buildings having been built thus far during the first half of 1890. The Farmers Bank of Fillmore county, with a capital o $25,000, and the Bank of Ohiowa, capital $10,000, are the financial institutions of the place. The two elevators have a capacity each of 20,000 bushels. The products of a large district of country find their way to this point for shipment. A fine opera house, with a seating capacity of 400, has been built and equipped. Also, a fine graded school building, which cost $5,000. Among the building constructed during the past year were three churches—Methodist, Baptist, and German Lutheran, at an aggregate cost of $3,700. The enterprising newspaper of the town, the Ohiowan, has a circulation of 700.

 

Name of Establishment or Business Person

Type of Business

Arlington House

B F Bothwell prop

Averill Bros

general merchandise

Averill S F

livery, sale and feed stable

Babcock & Co

hardware, harness

Bank of Ohiowa

capital $10000 A F Clemons pres; R L Clemons cashr

Bothwell B F

prop Arlington House

Bothwell H W

general merchandise

Buchmeier W F

agrl implements

Bunce W E

barber

Caspers F

watch repairer

Clark & Gillespie

blacksmiths

Clemons A F

pres Bank of Ohiowa

Clemons R L

notary

Conner & Corbin

real estate

Corp Wm

meat market

Curran J M

agrl implements

Duncan Neil

lumber and coal

Enslow C C

general merchandise

Enslow Mrs M A

millinery

Farmers Bank of Fillmore County

capital $25000, D P Abbott pres, L J Dunn vice pres, C C Conner cashier, R A Harvey asst cashier

Farmers Protective Eleavator Assn

John A Hollister, manager, grain

Fitzer M C

furniture, undertaker

Folden, C H

confectionery

Forbes J W

restaurant

Fulton & Whitman

flour and feed

Gregg & Leet

grain

Grone Miss PA

dressmaker

Hasterlick I Joseph

clothing

Hayes Mrs M E

millinery

Krisl Frank

blacksmith

Larimer H E

editor and pub; The Ohiowan

McGee Dr T J

drugs

McLaughlin Hugh

postmaster

Matson Wm

livery, boarding and sale stable

Myer & Wertz

saloon

O'Boyle J

prop Commercial Hotel

Ohiowan (The)

H E Larimer editor and publisher

Patterson & Holloway

hardware

Quinlan & Mathews

paints, oils, etc

Reed Mrs C A

millinery

Riddle Wm

station, tel and ex agent

Sieckmann & Taylor

saloon

Smith James

confectionery

Tyner & Averill

watches, clocks

Walker JM

carriage painter

Woolam J G

meat market

Return to homepage

 

Copyright© 2000 - 2004 
Sharlene K. Miller. All rights reserved.
Last Update: 07/14/2004