The following descriptions appeared in the Sunday June 5, 1887 Nebraska State Journal. This was an "immigrant issue" intended to provide the towns of Nebraska with an opportunity to attract new residents.
On Curtis Branch of Burlington & Missouri Railroad - - Two Hundred and Thirteen Miles West of Lincoln - - Population One Hundred and Sixty.
This bright and flourishing little town is beautifully located sixty-three miles west of Holdrege, on the Curtis branch of the Burlington & Missouri railroad, and surrounded by some of the finest agricultural lands in the state. The town site embraces 320 acres of land, which was bought by the Lincoln Land company, January, 1886. The first establishment was built May 2, 1886, and since that time there has been eighteen more erected, besides some twenty residences, shops, etc., and now she has two general merchandise stores, each of which have done a business of $20,000 within the last ten months. Two hardware stores that have each done $10,000 business in nine months. Two lumber yards which have done a thriving business amounting to $15,000 or more each, having received forty cars of lumber since October 15, 1886. One bank that gives good satisfaction to all its patrons and stockholders. One drug store doing a business of $7,000 per year. One hotel and one restaurant whose patronage exceeds $10,000 since October, 1886, one furniture store that is having an $8,000 a year trade, four agricultural firms that are having a lively trade this spring. Besides these establishments mentioned above there is one livery and sale stable, one printing office, a blacksmith shop, one harness shop, one barber shop, one billiard hall, one saloon, which are all in a prosperous condition. A large grain elevator is now being erected. Twelve cars of grain have been shipped from this place by parties not in the grain business, and according to the amount of grain that is being sowed this spring and having an elevator the prospects for fall shipments is good. There has been two car loads of stone, one of lime, two of salt, three of flour, one of oil, one of threshers and several cars of emigrants.
The railroad company has built substantial buildings, turntable, stockyard, etc., and are just finishing a well for their use. Since their first train came to this place, October 7, 1886, they have handled goods to the value of $50,000. The population is estimated at 160, excluding some fifty or sixty men employed in the Burlington & Missouri supply yards. The prospects for growth and trade are as good if not better than the average new town. To the enterprising, go ahead business man or merchant the healthy, "hustling" town of Moorefield offers advantages that should not be overlooked by any one looking for a paying location; among which is needed a good land agent, a jewelryman, a dentist, a cobbler, meat market and a lawyer.
Situated in Frontier County - - On the Burlington & Missouri Railroad - - One Hundred and Ninety Miles from Lincoln - - Population Two Hundred
In June, 1886, Eustis was founded as a town and became an important shipping point on the B. & M. railroad. The site selected for the town is at once picturesque and attractive, being situated on the top of a gradual ascent, which gives a thorough natural drainage in case of heavy rain storms. Probably no portion of western Nebraska is surrounded by a country more rich and fertile than Eustis, the productiveness of the soil keeping the market fully supplied with vines and vegetables of every description, while the two mammoth elevators are kept brimful from the harvest fields on the north, south, east and west.
The farm houses with all the latest improvements of neatness and utility, the far extending corn cribs and capacious grain bins, the towering windmills and broad fields all indicate that the settlers around the precocious though infantile Eustis have struck a bonanza. In March, 1886, Mr. J. H. Gatwood and John H. Kelly, anticipating the values of the location, each erected a store room. Walker and Watkins opened a lumber yard, when Howard Bros. followed suit and represent today large extensive interest in lumber and building material. In August F. C. Schroeder & Co. erected a capacious store for the sale of stoves and hardware on Front Street, and in September the People's store was erected by J. L. Trobes, esq., and thereon open to the public as a general merchandise house. The Commercial hotel, the ornament of the village, was erected in October and was soon crowded to excess. H. M. Hughes having received his commission as postmaster for Eustis erected a frame building and counted the first mail under the Eustis appointment. The onward march of the new fledged city was surprising. "The Eustis Star" then appeared under the guiding hand of Hughes Bros. - - heralding to the world the fact that Eustis was ranked among the towns of the west! Mr. John Heron of Pioneer celebrity in Plum Creek in quick anticipation of the future of an enterprising town, moved his entire stock of merchandise and erected a handsome frame building 25 x 50 and starting in with a stock of $6,000, the second story 25 x 50 being used as an Opera hall.
The Eustis house under the management of Lieut J. G. Sawyer is gaining an enviable reputation.
The Eustis Star is published weekly and is owned and controlled by T. W. Smith, the editor of the Dawson county Pioneer of 1873, and who will undoubtedly make the publication of the Star a success as the town and country develop.
The mammoth elevator, under course of erection by Mr. Lamson introduces two grain markets to the farmers of Eustis. N. O. Platner, esq., controlling the market for stock and hogs in addition to and in connection with elevator No. 1. Very valuable tracts of land as low as $5 per acre are in the hands of E. O. Johnson, Esq., on good and fair terms, while Justice Bennet acts as town site agent for the sale of town lots, while Hon. E. T. Jay by able and timely counsel will see law meted out whenever his services are demanded.
It may be added with commendable pride that no blot has yet fallen upon the fair name of Eustis, which for a western Nebraska town, may be considered a model.
There is also a good opening here for a meat market, shoemaker, barber and a bank.