The NEGenWeb Project
© 2000 by Leona Gustafson
|THE TIMES - TRIBUNE|
|Beaver City, Nebraska - May 2, 1912 - Furnas County|
|Nebraska Ancestree Fall 1987 Issue Vol.10 No.2 - pg.53|
|Transcribed for the NEGenWeb Project by Kathie Harrison - December 1, 2000|
|By permission of the Nebraska State Genealogical Society|
HARVEY DAVIS was born at Uniontown, PA., November 2,
1828, and died at Beaver City, April 27. 1912, aged 74
years, 5 months and 25 days. She removed with her family
in early girlhood, to Brandonville, WV., where she grew
to womanhood. Going to Ohio to visit relatives, she met
and married Amos DAVIS, September 15, 1863 at Marshall,
Ohio, where she became a mother, in those strenuous war
times, to his only son, to whom she was ever as good as a
mother could be, and who loved her in return with the
love of a boy who felt the compassion and tender care so
needed when his own mother had been taken away and his
father had answered the call of his country and had gone
to the seat of the warfare.
They lived in Ohio until 1869, when they removed to Lenox, Iowa, where they resided until 1883, when they came to Nebraska, first settling in Pawnee county and in 1888, coming from there to Beaver City, where she resided until her summons to a better world. Her husband died in May 1906. One step-son, Thomas M. DAVIS. Of a family of eight children, one brother, the youngest, Newton HARVEY, and invalid of Des Moines, Iowa, survives. The widow and three children of Milton HARVEY, the oldest brother, are still living at Clearfield, Iowa. The funeral services were held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. T. M. DAVIS on Monday afternoon and were conducted by Rev. B. F. EBERHART, assisted by Rev. T. C. PERRY and the church quartette, consisting of Mr. and Mrs. T. A. BOYD, Mrs. G. M. WARNER and J. B. LEACH, Mrs. W. C. F. LUMLEY playing the piano. The flowers were as beautiful and harmonious as ever seen. Interment was in the family lot in Mt. Hope Cemetery.
A Freakish storm - During the rain storm Saturday there were but two bolts of lightning and both struck houses near town. The first struck the house occupied by L. C. UTTERBACK, on the MILLER brothers place, a half-mile south of town, completely demolishing the roof. Their three little children who were in the house were uninjured, but Mrs. UTTERBACK who was standing in the yard was severely shocked. The second bolt came only a minute after the first and struck the L. E. PERFECT residence, in the north part of town, and badly damaged the chimney and roof. Mrs. PERFECT was in the house and was shocked. The force of the bolt was carried off on the telephone wire and about three feet of wire running from the telephome was completely burned. One curious freak it performed at the PERFECT house was the burning of the mercury from a large mirror in the opposite corner of the house from where the most damage was done. -- Wilsonville Review.