Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

NE GenWeb - Garden County

Garden County Postoffices and Populated Places | Garden County Geographic Features ]

Note: Links below marked * off site denote web sites external to the Nebraska GenWeb site and will open in a new browser window or tab when clicked.


Garden County Postoffices and Populated Places

(Prepared by Earl Rook)


  • Cormick
    • A former station on the Union Pacific line; a beet dump and siding southeast of Lewellen.
  • Dewey
    • A post office established on 27 April 1900. The name was changed to Moffitt on 23 November 1900. It is assumed that the locations are the same.
  • Edward
    • A post office established on 5 February 1909; discontinued in 1915.
  • Fort Gratten
    • A US Army sod fort at the mouth of Ash Hollow Creek; established on September, 1855 and abandoned the following year.
  • Fort Laramie
    • Located 6 miles north of Fort Gratten.
  • Garden
    • A post office established on 19 August 1910 and operating through 30 September 1912. The exact location is not known.
  • Goodland
    • A post office established on 3 June 1913 and operating through 13 May 1922.
  • Hartman
    • A post office established on 12 August 1889 on Lost Creek in the Lost Creek precinct. It was named after Sebastian Hartman, the first postmaster. It closed on 6 October 1889.
  • Hewett
    • A post office established on 19 December 1910 and operating until 15 August 1913.
  • Hillsdale
    • A post office established on 15 February 1911 and operating through 31 July 1912.
  • Hutchinson
    • A post office established on 12 August 1889 on Blue Creek in Blue Creek precinct and operating through 31 July 1913.
  • Kowanda
    • A post office established on 22 March 1888 in Green precinct and operating through 31 December 1921. It was named after a local resident, the name being of Bohemian origin from kovan/kovane meaning smithwork. Its original location was Section 18, Township 15, Range 44 West.
  • Lakeview
    • A post office established on 25 March 1912 and operating through 30 November 1915.
  • Lewellen
    • A town named after Frank Lewellen, who established the first store and post office in 1887/1888. The post office was moved from Keith County on 4 December 1891.
  • Lisco
    • A village named after Reuben Lisco who once owned the land upon which it sits. He was an early cattleman in the area who owned about 40,000 acres and was president of the Lisco State Bank. The post office was established on 26 July 1909.
  • Lutherville
    • Originally a post office established about 1887 on Blue Creek and named Ramsey after its first postmaster. The current name is from the Union Pacific station.
  • Lyon
    • A former village to the east of Oshkosh on the irrigation canal. It may have never been anything more than a ditch named after a homesteader.
  • Lytle
    • A former station on the Union Pacific line.
  • Moffitt
    • Formerly Dewey, a post office office established on 23 November 1900 and named after its postmaster. It closed on 25 March 1907.
  • Mumper
    • A post office established on 14 April 1896 and named after a woman homesteading in the vicinity. It operated until 1945.
  • Orlando
    • A post office established on 3 September 1891 and operating through 28 February 1930. The name was suggested by one of the postal patrons; its significance is not known.
  • Oshkosh
    • The county seat of Garden County, was established in 1885 when Henry G. Gumaer, Alfred W. Gumaer, Herbert W. Potter, and John Robinson, moved to the area from St. Paul, Nebraska and established a cattle ranch on the current town site. The post office was established in 1886 and named after the town of Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The Gumaer brothers were natives of Wisconsin, Alfred having once lived in Oshkosh.
  • Pawlett
    • A former inland post office established on 24 May 1915 in Alkali precinct and operating through 31 December 1920. The name may have been derived from Pawlett in Somerset, England or of other, local origin.
  • Rackett
    • An inland post office established on 13 September 1910 in Alkali precinct and operating until 1945. The name is probably of local origin.
  • Ramsey
    • A post office moved from Lutherville on 22 December 1887 and moved to another location in 1890.
  • Ruthton
    • A railroad siding the eastern edge of Garden County.
  • Sowser
    • A former Union Pacific camp near Lewellen.
  • Sterbins
    • A post office established on 31 July 1913 and operating until 15 January 1916.
  • Thelma
    • A post office established on 28 May 1912 and operating until 15 May 1915.
  • Tippetts
    • A post office established on 30 September 1912 and operating until 14 October 1916.
  • Velma
    • A post office established on 22 April 1914 and moved to Arthur County on 14 May 1917.
  • Warren
    • A post office established on 10 April 1912 and operating through 30 September 1921.

Sources: Garden County Historical Society, Nebraska Place Names by Lilian L. Fitzpatrick, p. 66; both as cited in A Research Guide to Genealogical Data in DEUEL and GARDEN COUNTIES, Nebraska State Genealogical Society, January 1984, pp. 28-29.

Home  | The NEGenWeb Project  | Contact the Garden County CoordinatorContact the State Coordinators  ]

--> "