| 1890 Farmer Directory | 1917 Business Gazatteer | Greeley Co. NEGenWeb |
|Omaha: J. M. Wolfe & Co., Publishers, 509-510 Paxton Block 1890. Entered according
to Act of Congress in the year of 1890, by J. M. Wolfe & Co., in the Office of the
Librarian of Congress, at Washington, D. C.
This is the listing of Businesses existing in Greeley County, by town.
ACME, a postoffice in the central part of Greeley county, four and one half miles from Scotia, the county seat.
BELFAST, a flag station on the B&M RR, seven miles west of Greeley.
BRAYTON, a village in Greeley county with a population of 100, is on the Palmer and Burwell branch of the B&M RR, eight miles south of Greeley Center. The place is favorably located for a good trading point and before many years a thriving town will usurp the site of the present village. Nearly all branches of trade are represented and large shipments of grain and stock made.
ENFIELD, a postoffice in the eastern part of Greeley county, six miles east of
HORACE, a station on the Burwell branch of the B&M RR, in Greeley county, seven miles west of Greeley Center.
SPALDING, a town in the northeast corner of Greeley county, is 14 miles from Greeley Center and 18 miles northwest of Cedar Rapids. It is beautifully located in the valley of the Cedar and enjoys the trade of a large extent of farming and grazing country. A flouring mill has just been completed in which there has been invested a large amount of capital, and which is intended to grind for export, besides tending to the local trade. The Catholics have a fine church building, and the town generally has a neat and attractive appearance. Population,150.
Greeley Center is situated in the central part of Greeley county, at the junction of the Erickson and Burwell branches of the B & M R R, in the midst of a productive farming country, in Spring Creek Valley, 12 miles from the Loup river. Its position is favorable to its aspirations to become the judicial seat of the county. But little over three years ago a lone house stood upon the site now occupied by a town with 700 inhabitants, and with excellent facilities and prospects. The Lincoln Town Site Co, who are largely interested in the land upon which the town is being built, have donated a block of ground, and the town has commenced the erection of a public building 38 x 44 feet in dimensions three stories in height, and to cost $7,000. A substantial brick school house has been erected at a cost of of $8,000, and a full roller mill, four stories high, with a capacity of 68 barrels daily, cost $15,000. A neat opera house which will seat 700, cost $4,000. The M. E. church have a comely building with a handsome tower, cost $2,000. and the Catholics are building a church to cost $4,000. The Greeley State Bank capital $25,000, is at the head of the banking institutions of the county. Its prosperity indicates the wisdom of its management and the progress of the town. The Citizens State Bank also a good monied institution. The Greeley Leader and the Greeley Democrat are the newspapers this place.
GREELEY STATE BANK
W.W. Wallace, Prest. Jas.R. Hanna, VicPrest. Jas. W. Wallace, Cashier Paid up Capital, $25,000 Authorized Capital, $250,000 Incorporated Jan 16, 1888 GREELEY CENTER, NEB.
DIRECTORS AGENT W. W. Wallace, Council Bluffs, Iowa B&M R.R. LAND and TOWN LOT CO. A. H. Hanna, Vinton, Iowa A General Banking Business Mary Holt, Waverly, Iowa Transacted: Jas R. Hanna Jas W. Wallace Farm Loans Negotiated.
JOHN E. KAVANAUGH, ATTORNEY AT LAW
Greeley Center, Neb. CITY ATTORNEY OF GREELEY CENTER
Special attention given to Collections
LEO VALLEY, a postoffice in the eastern part of Greeley county, nine miles from Greeley Center. Walsh, John, postmaster.
O'CONNORS, a small settlement four miles southeast of Greeley Center. The
Convent of the Sisters of Mercy, an academy for girls, is located here. The buildings cost
over $40,000 and it is well patronized. Sister Mary Michael is superioress, and Rev J F
Hays pastor. Around is a good farming country and well settled
PARNELL, a postoffice in the western part of Greeley County, five miles west of Belfast, on the Ericson branch of the B&M RR. About 200 farmers reside in this vicinity.
SCOTIA JUNCTION, a flag station on the Grand Island and Ord branch of the U. P.
Ry., one mile
SCOTIA is in the southwestern part of Greeley county, on the North Loup branch of the U.P. Ry., 4 miles northeast of Grand Island and 298 miles from Omaha. It is the county seat and has a population of 500. The village is beautifully situated in the North Loup valley.
A brickyard is in operation and soft stone which hardens with exposure to the atmosphere is quarried here and used for building purposes. There are two flour mills, making a good grade of flour and doing a good business. Two banks, the Greeley County Bank, capital, $100,000, and the Peoples Bank. Water works are to be constructed in the near future.
The churches are: Methodist, German Methodist and Catholic.
Allen, Charles, barber Andre, Charles, restaurant Andre House, E Bailey prop
Bailey, E, prop Andre House Bean, J J, attorney Beck, John, shoemaker Bell, H G, attorney Bond, Richard, restaurant Buckley, Thomas, tinsmith Burton, Ezra, liveryCampbell, L Rev, pastor M E church Cantwell, T C, farm machinery Clark, J L, livery Connell, T D, ins, notary Cornell, G C, broom mfr Crimmins, J Mrs, bakery Cromwell, B W, sta agt U P Ry Curry, James, blacksmithDavies, J J, flouring mill Doane, L L, live stock Doyle, T J, attyFaucett, W T, pub Scotia Republican, jewelry Fisher, B C Mrs, millineryFloaten, A H, genl mdseGardner, Wm, cigars and wines Gilispie, Min, city transfer Greeley County Bank, capital $100,000, Lee Love pres, J T Price vice-pres, G W Scott cashier Greenfield, D W, billiards Grothan, O, physHall & Humphreys, hardware, agl implts Hall & Wilcox, brick mfrs Herbert, L, postmaster Herbert & Weeks, real estate, etc Howell, S R & Co, props Scotia Lumber CoJones, J S, mgr Scotia Lumber CoKrebbs, R R, live stockLewis, James, veterinary, coal Lincoln, R, city transferMcDonald, J A, carpenter McMillen, Charles, livery McMillen & Clark, real estate McMillen, H C, lumber, hardware Manning, J F, painter Merchant, A W, drugsParks, A M, pub Scotia Herald Paxton, Samuel K, drugs Pearce, A R, balcksmith Peoples bank, A Blakestad pres, P Erickson vice-pres, W E Hannon cashier Price, J T, ins, notaryScotia Herald, A M Parks pub Scotia Implement Co, A W Newton mgr, farm machinery Scotia Lumber Co, S R Howll & Co props, J S Jones mgr, lumber, coal Scotia Republican, W T Faucett pub Scotia Roller Mills, Weeks Bros props Scott, G W, atty Sharp, Robert, justice Shockey, D B M, phys Sparhawk, W W, blacksmith Sprecher, Scott, atty Stanner, Frederick, meat market Stoetzel & Thompson, real estate Sumner, Amos, carpenter Swortwood, N L, drugs, mgr Omaha Elevator CoThompson, W W, atty Tolan, Ed, meat market Townsley, H M, auctioneerVan Skike, D R, harnessmakerWatt, M L, groceries, shoes Weekes Bros, props Scotia Roller Mills Wilcox, S, genl mdse Wright, Edward, genl mdse Wright, G C, atty
SUMPTER, a flag station on the B. & M. R. R., 16 miles west of
TROY, a postoffice in the northeast part of Greeley county, nine miles from Greeley Center. Walsh, Richard, postmaster.
WOLBACH, a village on the Palmer and Burwell branch of the B&M RR, is in
Greeley county, 14 miles southeast of Greeley Center. It is on high ground and the land
around is quite rolling, live stock constitutes the principal shipments although it is a
good grain producing country. Population, 150.
| Top | 1890 Farmer Directory | Greeley Co. NEGenWeb |
Last revised: 6 Jun 2004