Holt County NEGenWeb Project


NEBRASKA STATE JOURNAL 1887

STUART

Situated in Holt County--on the Fremont, Elkhorn, & Missouri Valley Railroad--Two Hundred and Thirty-five Miles from Lincoln--Population Five Hundred.

This is the third town in Holt county, is situated in the western part on the Fremont, Elkhorn, & Missouri Valley line of road, and is surrounded with some of the best land in this part of the state, especially south. In this region are some of the finest grass land in the state and the industry of making and baling hay is becoming one of much importance, so much so that large invoices are annually shipped west to the markets of the Black Hills and Wyoming. Stuart is one of the live towns of the state and is populated with an industrious thrifty class of people who are ever on the alert and readily take hold of everything calculated to benefit the town. The school is presided over by Prof. Lamb, who is assisted by Misses McIntire and Kimball. The school is in a flourishing condition and is a credit to the town.

Religiously considered, Stuart is fortunate. It has a Presbyterian and Baptist church, both having buildings and good organizations. Rev. Jones is pastor of the former and Rev. Abbott of the latter. There is also a Methodist organization, but they have no house of worship. Stuart's most important enterprise is her fine roller mill. She also has representatives in all the leading mercantile pursuits, and two newspapers, all of which are prosperous and flourishing.


© 1998 by Lynn Watermanflowers