HON. RAUSELDON COOPER, of Oquawka, who is now serving as Coutny Judge of Henderson County, has been connected with the Bench and Bar of this locality since February, 1876, and has won a leading position as a lawyer, one that has not only secured for him a liberal patronage, but has also been the means of giving him the responsible position which he now fills. Judge Cooper has a wide acquaintance in this community, and all who know him hold him in high esteem. We therefore feel assured that this record of his life will prove o finterest to many of our readers. Born in Wayne County, Ind., on the 24th of December, 1845, he comes of a family of English origin. His father, John Cooper, and his grandfaterh, William Cooper, were both natives of Pennsylvania, and the former, who follows farming, is now living in Bald Bluff Precinct, Henderson County, whither he removed in 1849. He married Martha E. Smith, and they became the parents of two children, Rauseldon, and Martha L., now deceased.
The mother of our subject died when he was only about four years of age, and he then went to live with his grandmother in Wayne County, Ind. His education in early life was limited to the privileges afforded by the common schools, but afterwards he attended Lombard University, in Galesburg, Ill., and was graduated from that institution in 1869, with the degree of B.S. He had come to Henderson County in 1853, locating in what at that time was known as Greenville Precinct, but is now called Fall Creek Precinct. On completing his literary education, he returned to the farm and worked for his father for six years, but, not content to follow agricultural pursuits throughout life, he determined to enter the legal profession, and in the autumn of 1873, and in the winter of 1874-75, he was a student in the law department of the University of Michigan, being graduated therefrom in the spring of 1875. In February, 1876, he came to Oquawka, and, opening an office, at once began practice, which he carried on continuously until 1880. In that year he was elected State's Attorney of Henderson County, and so ably did he discharge the duties of the office that he was re-elected in 1884. Again, on the expiration of his second term in 1888, he was chosen his own successor, and filled the office until 1890, when he resigned, for he had been elected County Judge. He at once entered upon the duties of that position, and his course on the Bench has met with the same high approval and commendation that greeted his administration of affairs while serving as State's Attorney.
On the 14th of September, 1875, Judge Cooper was united in marriage with Miss Lucy E. Cummins, a daughter of Opdyke H. and Ellen D. (Oxford) Cummins. They became the parents of five children, three sons and two daughters, Moses R., Margaret E., Rauseldon, Harry Mac and Leona, and the family circle yet remains unbroken, for all are still under the parental roof.
The Judge is a warm advocate of Republican principles, having been identified with that party since casting his first Presidential vote for U.S. Grant. Besides the positions already mentioned, he has filled several local offices, having served as Justice of the Peace, as a member of the Town Board and as School Director. Socially, he belongs to Tranquil Lodge No. 193, I.O.O.F.; and Oquawka Camp No. 1037, M.W.A. His rulings on the Bench are always just, the result of decisions which have been obtained after careful deliberation and weighting of evidence. Skill and ability have won him prominence in the legal profession and given him a foremost place at the Henderson County Bar.
REV. JOHN M. McARTHUR, of the United Presbyterian Church at Stronghurst, was the first resident pastor of any denomination in that place. He was born at McIndoe's Falls, Vt., January 9, 1850. His father, the Rev. James McArthur, was born in Cambridge, N.Y., January 8, 1815, and was first engaged in farming, then in teaching, and after the usual courses of study was graduated successively from Cambridge Academy, Franklin College and Canonsburgh Theological Seminary. He was ordained September 11, 1846, and settled as pastor of Barnet and Ryegate congregations in Vermont for twelve years. In 1859 he came to Henderson County, Ill., and for thirteen years was pastor of Ellison congregation, worshipping at Walnut Grove. Impaired health led him then to resign, and his friends, feeling that he was too valuable a man to leave unemployed, without effort on his part secured his election by a large majority as County Superintendent of Schools. Refusing re-election, he lived on the home farm until he removed tobe with his sons in Walton, Kan., where he made his home until the Sabbath of October 9, 1887, when he fell asleep. Father McArthur, as a preacher, was clear, earnest and fearless: as a scholar, he would read for recreation, as he grew old, the Greek theologians, with Latin foot notes; as a pastor, he was a wise winner of souls, and his presence was accounted a benediciton in every home; as a reformer, he successfully opposed evil, and was that rare man who gained the respect and affection o feven the classes he opposed. He lived a life that was a model and an inspiration, and leaves a fragrant memory of his words and deeds.
The mother of Rev. John McArthur was born in Gloversville, N.Y., in 1826. She was an accomplished woman, who placed her talents and attainments on the Lord's altar beside beside her husband's. She was called away by death in 1870, and was laid to rest in Walnut Grove Cemetery, where her husband has since also received interment.
In the McArthur family were the following children: Nettie, now of Walton, Kan.; John M., of this sketch; J. Wellington, who died at the age of thirty-four; Cecil, who is engaged in farming at Walton, Kan.; Samuel R., a successful clothing merchant, also of Walton; Anna M., who died at the age of twenty-six; and Nellie E., wife of Henry Brush, of Kansas.
When nine years of age, John M. McArthur came with his parents to Henderson County, Ill., and lived but three and a-half miles from his present church. He was graduated from Monmouth College in 1872, spent one year at the Newburgh Theological Seminary in New York. and was graduated from the Theological Seminary of Xenia, Ohio, in 1874. He was licensed by the Presbytery of Monmouth in 1873, and ordained by the Presbytery of Xenia in 1874. In the fall of that year he was installed pastor at Reynoldsburgh, Ohio, remaining until 1877; was pastor at McDonald, Pa., from 1877 to 1880; at Yorkville, Wis., from 1881 to 1886; and in Iowa, from 1886 to 1890. During 1891 and 1892, Rev. McArthur was engaged as a lecturer in Ohio, Illinois and Iowa on temperance and kindred themes. Visiting his former home here in 1892, he was secured as pastor of Stronghurst congregation, and duly installed pastor September 7, 1892.
On the 1st of December, 1881, Rev. McArthur married Miss Jennie Burns, of Waupaca, Wis., an accomplished lady, and peculiarly successful in Sabbath schools and Junior Bands. James Leroy, their first child, died in his sixth year; Robert Cecil, Ethel W. and Anna Margaret are the names of the rest.
The standing of Rev. John M. McArthur in pulpit, on platform and in literary criticism, is recognized and established. Well-organized churches, religious, educational and secular enterprises fostered by his tongue and pen, the poor and troubled ones who have found his helping hand, and the cultured class of hearers who everywhere attend his ministry, are the witnesses to his consecration to the service of God and man.
JOSEPH T. PAINTER, deceased, was born on the 25th of March, 1800, in Philadelphia, Pa., and came of a family of German origin. His father, William Painter, was also a native of the Keystone State, and was one of the heroes of the Revolution. He married Martha Torton, in 1785, and the lady was also a native of Pennsylvania. They bacame the parents of nine children: Charles; Sarah, who became the wife of Henry Reynolds, and emigrated to Hancock County in 1836; William, who came to this county two years later; Philip, who became one of the early settlers of Missouri, of 1816; John; Mary Ann, wife of John Bryan, who came to Hancock County in 1839; Joseph; Martha, wife of John Reynolds; and Lydia, wife of Isaac Pierson, who came to this county in 1850. None of the family are now living.
Joseph T. Painter, an honored pioneer of this locality, acquired his education in New Castle, Mercer County, Pa. His school privileges, however, were limited to ninety days attendance at the subscription schools. When a young man of nineteen years he left home, with the intention of trying his fortune in the West, and went on a flatboat to Missouri, taking with his a carding-machine. He made the return trip on horseback in 1823, reaching his destination after twenty-eight days of travel. He then purchased a farm of one hundred acres in Mercer County, Pa., and, turning his attention to its cultivation, continued to engage in agricultural pursuits for about thirteen years, when, in 1836, he again left the East. It was in that year that he cast his lot among the pioneer settlers of Illinois. On the 4th of June he reached what was then called Spillman's Landing, now Pontoosuc, and made his way hither. Here he purchased the northwest quarter of section 9, La Harpe Township, and began the development of a farm.
Ere his removal West, Mr. Painter was married. On the 3d of January, 1828, he was united in marriage with Jane Graham, and to them were born three children, Angeline, Charles and Thompson, but all are now deceased. The mother of this family died August 13, 1833, and Mr. Painter was married October 18, 1834, to Phoebe Rea, daughter of John and Ann (White) Rea. They also became the parents of three children: Plemon, deceased; Delina, wife of S.F. Bryan, of La Harpe; and Arion, who was killed at the battle of Pittsburg Landing, while aiding in the defense of the Union during the late war. He was a member of Company D, Twenty-eighth Illinois Infantry. Charles was also in the service, being one of the boys in blue of Company G, One Hundred and Eighteenth Illinois Infantry. He served for three years, and was mustered out in the fall of 1865. He was First Lieutenant of his company.
In 1838 Mr. Painter went to Pennsylvania, where he purchased material for a gristmill, which was put up by Henry Reynolds on the southwest quarter of section 9, La Harpe, also for a sawmill, which he erected himself on section 10, La Harpe, and which he operated about two years, althought he owned it ten or twelve years, when it passed out of his hands. These were among the pioneer mills of this section of country.
Mr. Painter continued to engage in agricultural pursuits until 1860, when he retired from active life, and went to live with his daughter, Mrs. S. F. Bryan, with whom he remained until his death, which occurred on the 9th of September, 1875. In politics, he was originally a Whig, and on the organization of the Republican party joined its ranks. He served as Constable for several years, and was Assessor and Collector for fourteen years. For the long period of thirty years he served as School Director, and the cause of education ever found in him a warm friend. He was a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was a charitable and benevolent man, who aided in the upbuilding of all enterprises calculated to promote the best interests of the community. He was a valued and prominent citizen of Hancock County for almost forty years, and this history would be incomplete without the record of his life.
JACOB BRYAN , deceased, was one of the early settlers of Hancock County and one who was widely and favorably known in this locality. A native of Hunterdon, N.J., he was born on the 15th of August, 1794, and was a son of William and Mary (Suphen) Bryan. His father was born in New Jersey, February 12, 1761. Of their children, Mary became the wife of Samuel Hutton, Of La Harpe Township, and both she and her husband are deceased. Rachel married Robert Simonton, of Pennsylvania, and they are now deceased; Eleanor became the wife of James Burns, and both died in Pennsylvania; Hannah married Thomas Painter, and both passed away in the Keystone State; Jane, Eliza, John, Jacob, Isaac and William are also deceased.
Jacob Bryan of this sketch was reared on his father's farm in New Jersey, and during his youth attended the subscription schools of his native State. In 1819, he removed to Mercer County, Pa., and, purchasing a farm of one hundred acres, there began life as a farmer. He followed agricultural pursuits throughout his remaining days, and met with good success in his undertakings. As a companion and helpmate on life's journey he chose Mary Bagley, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Showerman) Bagley. Their marriage was celebrated in Crawford County, Pa., on the 14th of May, 1824, and unto them were born seven children, one of whom died in infancy.
The year 1840 witnessed the removal of Mr. Bryan and his family to Hancock County. He took up his residence in La Harpe Township, and purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 3, La Harpe Townhip, where he began the development of a farm. By additional purchase he added to this from time to time until he became the owner of six hundred acres of valuable land, which yielded to him a golden tribut in return for the care and labor he bestowed upon it. He successfully carried on farming until the 2d of November, 1857, when he retired from active life and removed with his wife and two children to La Harpe. He died on the 28th of March 1880. His wife, who still survives him, is now in her eighty-ninth year.
In his political views, Mr. Bryan was originally a Whig, but when the Republican party was formed he joined its ranks, and was ever afterward one of its stalwart supporters. He never aspired to public office, nor would he accept political preferment. He was originally a member of the Methodist Church, but afterward, when the Methodist Protestant Church was organized, he joined the same and was one of its consistent and faithful members until his death. He was always found on the side of right, a supporter of all that would benefit and elevate humanity. His career was ever honorable, and his example is one well worthy of emulation.
SMITH F. BRYAN, who for years has followed farming, now lives retired in La Harpe, enjoying the rest which he has so truly earned and richly deserves. His energy and enterprise in former years brought to him a competency, which supplies him with all the comforts and many of the luxuries of life, and his declining years will be pleasantly passed among his old friends and acquaintances in this sommunity.
A native of Mercer County, Pa., Mr. Bryan was born November 17, 1832, and is a son of Jacob Bryan, who was also born in the same county and was of Irish extraction. The family resided in New Jersey prior to 1819. The father received but limited school privileges, but through reading, experience and observation, he became a well informed man. On the 14th of May, 1824, he was joined in marriage with Mary Bagley, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Showerman) Bagley, the ceremony being performed in Crawford County, Pa. Seven children were born to them, four sons and three daughters, but the eldest daughter died in infancy. Rice B. is also deceased. Hannah was killed by a runaway in La Harpe Township in 1850. Cowden M., a jeweler of La Harpe, died December 9, 1884. Smith F. is the next younger. John F., a soldier of the late war, died of exposure at Port Hudson, La., March 9, 1864. Elizabeth B., deceased, was the wife of J. W. Cassingham, a resident farmer of La Harpe Township.
Smith F. Bryan was reared on the old homestead in Mercer County Pa., and upon the farm in Hancock County, whither he came with his parents May 15, 1840. The trip westward was made by boat from Beaver down the Ohio River to Cairo, and up the Mississippi to Warsaw. On landing at that place they loaded their household effects on wagons, and in this way completed their trip to what is known as the James Gittings farm, three miles north of La Harpe. The father purchased four hundred acres of land on section 3, La Harpe Township, one hundred and twenty acres of timber-land. The son, Smith F., was educated in the subscription schools of La Harpe Township, but he too is mostly self-educated, for altogether his attendance at the common schools would probably not cover a period of more than fifteen months. He became familiar with all the duties of farm life, however, and aided in the cultivation of the old homestead until about twenty-seven years of age.
On the 28th of January, 1859, Mr. Bryan was united in marriage with Miss Delina Painter, daughter of Joseph T. and Phoebe (Rea) Painter, a native of La Harpe Township, born November 13, 1836. Her family had located in that township on the 4th of May previous. Our subject and his wife became the parents of nine children, namely: Emma V., wife of James Brown, of La Harpe; Ida May, who died October 25, 1865; Joseph P., who died August 10, 1891; John F., a farmer of La Harpe Township; William E. and James R., who both carry on agricultural pursuits in that township; Mary A., wife of Elmer M. Spiker; Charles C., at home; and one son who died in infancy.
In 1860 Mr. Bryan purchased two hundred acres of land on section 9, La Harpe Township, and still owns this farm. He continued its cultivation until the 14th of August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Eighteenth Illinois Infantry, under Capt. Joseph Shaw. He faithfully served for three years, and was then mustered out in Davenport, Iowa, June 5, 1865. His first battle was with Sherman in the three-days fight at Yazoo River. He also participated in the engagement at Arkansas Post, and the battle of Thompson's Hill, and was under fire at Champion Hills, Black River Bridge, siege of Vicksburg, and the battle of Jackson. For three months he was confined in the hospital at Keokuk, Iowa.
Mr. Bryan is now a member of Geddes Post No. 142, G.A.R., and takes an active interest in the organization, which perpetuates the fraternal feeling which existed among the boys in blue. He cast his first Presidential vote for John C. Fremont in 1856, and has since been a stalwart supporter of the Republican party and its principles. He has served as Township Assessor, and for twenty consecutive years was School Director. Both he and his wife are members of the Christian Church, and their well-spent lives entitle them to the high regard in which they are held, and make them well worthy a place in this volume, among the best and most prominent citizens of Hancock County.
JOHN I. HALEY was born in Barren County, Ky., near the city of Glasgow, on the 19th of Nebember, 1831, and came of a family of Scotch-Irish origin. His parents were Maximillian and Elizabeth (Easter) Haley, and both were natives of Virginia. They had seven children, who in order of birth are as follows: Edwin, who died October 10, 1882; Mary J., who died July 4, 1891; Sarah E., who died January 11, 1883; William H., whose death occurred December 12, 1871; John I., of this sketch; Joseph F., who died December 1, 1875; and Julia, who is the only one now living. By occupation th efather was a farmer, and followed that pursuit throughout life. He served as a soldier in the War of 1812, and in 1837 came to Illinois, locating in Warren County. The trip westward was made by team, after the usual mode of travel in those days. In politics, he was a Republican, and in 1840 and 1844 was elected to the State Legislature from Warren County, serving for two terms as a member of the House of Representatives. He held membership with the Masonic fraternity. In 1864 he came to henderson County, and here his last days were passed. His death occurred June 4, 1869, and he was laid to rest in Warren County, by the side of his wife, who passed away March 16, 1856.
Under the parental roof John I. Haley was reared to manhood. He was a child of only six summers when his parents came to Illinois, and amid the wild scenes of the frontier the days of his boyhood and youth were passed. He continued to live at home until twenty-two years of age, when, in 1853, he started out in life for himself. He determined to seek a fortune in the West, and with ox-teams he crossed the plains to Oregon, where he spent about one year. He then went to California,m where he engaged in mining and prospecting.His venture proved a profitable one, and altogether his trip was successful. He remained in the West until 1856 when he returned to Warren County, and there made his home until 1864. In that year Mr. Haley came to Henderson County, and soon after purchased a farm of eighty acres in Rozetta Township, on which he spent his remaining days. He placed his land under a high state of cultivation, and made many good improvements upon his farm, which became one of the best in the neighborhood.
Mr. Haley exercised his right of franchise in support of the Republican party, b ut never sought or desired office, preferring to devote his time and attention to his other interests. He carried on agricultural pursuits until his death, and his well-directed efforts brought him a comfortable competence. He passed away on the 4th of June, 1893, and was laid to rest in Oquawka Cemetery.
CHARLES T. PAINTER, deceased, was born in Mercer County, Pa., near New Castle, on the 18th of February, 1831, and is a son of Joseph and Jane (Graham) Painter. Upon a farm he was reared to manhood, and during the winter season he attended the district schools of the neighborhood, thus acquiring a fair English education. He became a resident of Illinois in 1836, at which time his parents emigrated westward with their family. The trip was made by water, and they located in Hancock County upon a farm in La Harpe Township.
Mr. Painter of this dketch there remained until 1850, when he came to Terre Haute Township, Henderson County, and purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 16, where his widow resides. Not a furrow had been turned or an improvement made on the place, but he at once began its development and cultivation. In 1849 Mr. Painter made a trip to California, attracted by the discovery of gold. The party with which he traveled crossed the river at Omaha, and, journeying by ox-teams, reached their destination after six months of travel, locating near Oroville. There Mr. Painter engaged in prospecting and mining for three years with fair success, and then returned to his home by way of the water route. Here he engaged in farming.
In August, 1862, Mr. Painter was found among the defenders of hi scountry, enlisting in the Union army as a member of Company G, One Hundred and Eighteenth Illinois Infantry. He was mustered in at Camp Butler, in Springfiled, with the rank of Second Lieutenant, and went with Gen. Sherman to Vicksburg. He participated in the battles of Chickasaw Bluffs, Arkansas Post, Millikin's Bend, the siege of Vicksburg, and the engagements at Port Gibson, Champion Hills, Black River Bridge and Jackson. He also took part in many raids and smaller engagements. He was never wounded or taken prisoner, but was always found at his post of duty, faithfully defending the Old Flag and the cause it represented, and in recognition of his service he was promoted to the rank of First Lieutenant. In October, 1865, the war having ended, he was honorably discharged and returned to his home.
On Christmas Day, 1867, Mr. Painter was united in marriage with Miss Sarah A. Evans, a native of Owen County, Ind., and to them were born five children, as follows: Eva, who died in infancy; Joseph E., who married Ada Kimball, and carries on farming in Henderson County; Frank E., who wedded Clara Apt, and is an agriculturist of this community; and Ralph T. and Charles C., both at home.
After his return from the war, Mr. Painter was continuously engaged in farming up to the time of his death. His life was ever a busy and useful one, and was filled iwth a number of interesting experiences. He traveled across the continent, took part in the greatest war that ever occurred on the Western Hemisphere, and was connected with the minging experiences of California. In his farming operations he was successful, and acquired eight hundred acres of valuable land in Henderson County. His sterling worth and strict integrity won him many friends, and his death was widely mouned. He passed away May 30, 1892. Mrs. Painter still survives her husband, and with her two sons is still living on the old home farm, which comprises six hundred and forty acres of valuable land. Here she has a good home, and the property left her supplies her with the comforts and conveniences of this life
CHARLES SCANLAN, dealer in agricultural implements in Nauvoo, is numbered among the native sons of Hancock County. He was born in Niota, October 14, 1857, and is of Irish descent. His parents, John and Mary (Kennedy) Scanlan, were both natives of the Emerald Isle, and during childhood came to America. The father took up his residence in Hancock County about 1854, and for a time was foreman of a rock quarry. He afterwards engaged in farming in this county, but subsequently removed to Cheyenne County, Neb., where he now carries on agricultural pursuits.
In the county of his nativity our subject was reared to manhood, the days of his boyhood and youth being passed in the usual manner of farmer lads. In the common schools he acquired a good English education, and when he had attained his majority, he began life for himself by working on a farm. He also engaged in railroading for a time, both on construction work and as brakeman on a train. He was also employed on a steamer on the Mississippi for some time, and throught these various labors he acquired the capital necessary to start in business for himself. In 1889, he became proprietor of an agricultural-implement store and has since conducted the same. He is now doing a good business, for his enterprising and well-directed efforts have secured him a liberal patronage, and his straightforward and honorable dealing has gained him the confidence and good-will of the entire community.
On the 24th of December, 1885, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Scanlan and Mrs. H. Dankameyer, of Nauvoo. They began their domestic life in this city, and have since made it their home. They hold membership with the Catholic Church, and Mr. Scanlan is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He exercises his right of franchise in support of the Democratic party on questions of national importance, but at local elections votes independently. He is a well known citizen of Nauvoo, and has the high regard of all with whom business or social relations have brought him in contact.
JESSE C. WILLIAMS, who for many years was prominently connected with the business interests of Carthage, but is now practically living a retired life in that city, was born in Richmond, Madison County, Ky., on the 22d of August, 1819. His father, Richard G. Williams, was a native of Culpeper County, Va., and in 1808 emigrated to Kentucky, where he met and married Catherine Holder, who was born in that State in 1797. Her father, John Holder, was a native of Virginia, and was a comrade of Daniel Boone. Her mother was a daughter of Col. Richard Calloway, who was prominent in the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars. He made his home for some years in Kentucky. A story of romantic interest is connected with the marriage of his daughter, and is as follows.
Late on a Sunday afternoon, three young girls, Betsy and Frances Calloway, daughters of Col. Calloway, and Jemima Boone, a daughter of Daniel Boone, ventured from the enclosure at Boonesboro to amuse themselves with a conoe upon the river that flowed by the fort. they drifted down with the current, and before they were aware of danger they were seized by five Indian warriors. Thought they resisted with their paddles, they were drawn ashore and hurried off to the Shawnee tribe on the Ohio. Their screams were heard at the fort, and the cause of the outcry was at one imagined. The fathers were absent, but soon returned and quickly started in pursuit, Col. Calloway heading a mounted party, while Boone, as was his custom, went on foot. His party numbered eight, among whom were three young men, the girls' lovers, who shared in the anxiety of the almost distracted fathers. Betsy Calloway, the eldest girl, marked the trail as she was hurried along by breaking twigs and bending bushes, and when threatened with the tomahawk if she persisted, tore small bits from her dress and dropped them as she passed along. She would also frequently plant the heel of her shoe deeply in the soil to make distinct impressions to guide those she knew would soon pursue. Every precaution was taken by the Indians to obliterate any trace of their course, but keen eyes and anxious hearts were following, and as day dawned on Tuesday a film of smoke whowed the vicinity of the camp where the Indians were cooking breakfast. Col. John Floyd, who was afterwards killed by the Indians, was one of the party, and vividly described the rescue. "Our study was to get the prisoners without giving the Indians time to kill them after they discovered us. Four of us fired, and we all rushed on them, by which they were prevented from carrying anything away except one shotgun. The red men escaped, but with no guns, clubs or provisions, and two of them were severely wounded. The return of the rescued girls was the occasion of great rejoicing. The young lovers had proved their skill and coutage under the eye of the greatest of all warriors and woodsmen, Daniel Boone, and had fairly won their sweethearts." Two weeks later the first wedding on Kentucky soil was solemnized, the parties being Samuel Henderson and Betsy Calloway. The contract was witnessed by friends and neighbors, the formal license was dispensed with, and the vows were administered by Rev. Boone, a Hardshell Baptist preacher. Within a year Frances Calloway became the wife of the gallant Capt. John Holder, who afterwards distinguished himself in Kentucky annals, and Boone's daughter married the son of Col. Calloway.
In tracing the ancestry of the Williams family, we find that Jesse Williams, grandfather of our subject, was born in eastern Maryland in 1750. His grandfather had emigrated from Wales and had there located in 1720. Jesse Williams, Sr., emigrated to Kentucky in 1817, and there died in 1835. His son Richard became a resident of that State in 1808, and continued there to make his home until called to his final rest in 1876, at the age of ninety. By trade he was a saddler. His wife died at the age of eighty-seven. In their family were thirteen children, of whom twelve grew to mature years, while eight are yet living. Only two are residents of Illinois, J. C. and a sister who lives in Bloomington.
The boyhood days of J. C. Williams were spent upon the old home farm. At the age of twenty he left the parental roof and went to southeastern Tennessee, where, in 1839, he assisted in building the East Tennessee & Virginia Railroad, the first road built into the former State. In 1840, he went with his employer to Georgia, and was engaged on the construciton of the Georgia Central Railroad. He served as book-keeper for the contractors, and in 1841 returned to Kentucky, where he engaged in farming for a year. He then followed school-teaching until 1843, when he began selling goods in Mt. Vernon, Ky. In 1848, he began business there on his own accounty, and continued to successfully carry on operations along that line until 1856, when he removed to Crab Orchard, Ky., where he spent eighteen months. In the fall of 1857, he came to Carthage, where for two years his brother, William H. Williams, had been engaged in business. In August the latter had opened a large store, and in October of the same year Mr. Williams of this sketch assumed control of the same. He carried a stock valued at $6,000, which included all kinds of general merchandise. After two years his brother retired and entered the army. Later he went to Iowa, but is now living in the northwestern part of Mexico.
Mr. Williams had married ere leaving his native State. On the 5th of March, 1850, in Lincoln County, Ky., he wedded Mary Collier, daughter of John and Susan Collier, of Rock Castle, Ky. Unto them were born seven children, five of whom are yet living. Oscar W., who graduated from the law department of Harvard College, is now an attorney and the County Judge of Pecos County, Tex. He is also a ranchman and is largely interested in Texas lands. William D. graduated from Abingdon College, of Abingdon, Ill., studied law with Judge Ireland, of Austin, Tex., and is now a well-known attorney of Ft. Worth, where he is engaged in practice as a member of the firm of Williams & Butts. Josiah J., who graduated from Carthage College, is also a successful lawyer. He studied with the firm of Scofield & Hooker, of this city, and is now in practice in Kansas City, Mo., where he is serving as Assistant Prosecuting Attorney of Jackson County, Mo. Susan, who graduated from Carthage College, is successfully engaged in teaching in the city schools. Jessie, a stenographer and typewriter, is employed in the publishing house of Chapman Brothers, of Chicago.
Mr. Williams began business for himself in Carthage in January, 1860, and for two years was alone, after which he admitted to partnership A. M. Osman. The following June Mr. Ossman was murdered, while assisting Sheriff Ingrahm to arrest a man named Ritter, who was killed later in the day. The widow continued in the business for two years, after which Mr. Willimas became sole proprietor. He did a good business, building up an excellenct trade, and his well-directed efforts brought him a handsome competence. In March, 1892, he retired after a third of a century spent in merchandising in Carthage. He was always prominent in business circles and honorable and straightforward in his dealings. He has always paid one hundred cents on the dollar, and his word is as good as his bond. He had established two branch stores, but did not continue their operation for any great length of time. He is now interested to a considerable extent in Texas lands, having his capital well invested.
When a young man in Kentucky, Mr. Williams became a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he and his wife hold membership with the Christian Church, taking an active interest in its welfare. He has served as a member of the City Council, and was President of the Board. In 1871 and 1872, he represented his district in the State Senate, during which time the work of reconstruciton was carried on. By his ballot he has always supported the Democratic party. His time, however, has been mostly interests, and throught he legitimate channels of business he has acquired a comfortable property, which is the just reward of a busy and well-spent life.
ANDERSON D. WILLIAMS , who devotes his time and attention to agricultural pursuits on section 27, Fountain Green Township, is a native of Hancock County, and a representative of one of its pioneer families. He was born in Hancock Township, on the 16th of February, 1840, and is a son of Lemuel and Cassander (Simmons) Williams. His father was a native of South Carolina, and the family is fo Irish origin. Our subject was the second of ten children. Edna, the eldest, is the wife of James V. Nelson. Seth T., an honored veteran of the late war, is now living in Kansas. Amanda is the wife of John H. Tyler. Sheba is the wife of James R. Shields. Robert M. died in Texas in 1890. John F. is the next younger. Ava is the widow of William Redman. Two children died in infancy.
We now take up the personal history of our subject who in the usual manner of farmer lads spent the days of his boyhood and youth. In the common schools of his neighborhood he conned his lessons and gained a fair English education. He began life for himself upon rented land, and continued its cultivation until after the breaking out of the late war, when, feeling that his country needed his services, he abandoned the plow and, donning the blue, enlisted on the 20th of July, 1861. He was assigned to Company G. Second Illinois Cavalry, and was mustered into service at Springfield. Going to the South, he participated in the long-fought siege of Vicksburg and took part in the battle of Holly Springs, but during the greater part of the time was engaged in scouting duty in Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee and Louisiana. From New Orleans he went to Pensacola, Fla., then back through Alabama to Vicksburg. He was very fortunate, in that he was never wounded or taken prisoner, although he saw some arduous and difficult service. After four years spent in the South as a faithful defender of the Old Flag and the cause it represented, he was honorably discharged with the rank of Orderly-Sergeant, on the 6th of July, 1865.
Mr. Williams then returned to Hancock County, and has since made his home in Fountain Green Township, with the exception of three years spetn in Missouri. He was married on the 29th of October, 1866, the lady of his choice being Miss Louisa Bryant. Nine children have graced their union, namely: Nellie G., now the wife of Thomas J. Latherow, a farmer of Fountain Green Township; Cora G.; Hiram; Katie, who died in November, 1872; George E.; Mary A., who died on the 3d of April, 1892; Roy, Ethel and Edith.
Socially, Mr. Williams is connected with the Grand ARmy of the Republic, and is a member of the Methodist Church. In politics, he is a supporter of Republican principles, and has held the offices of Township Collector and Commissioner, discharging his duties with a promptness and fidelity that won him high commendation. He is a loyal and faithful citizen, who supports the best interests of the community, and during the late war he was a valiant defender of the Union.