LAFAYETTE M. WILLIAMS, who is successfully engaged in the laundry business in Macomb, claims Ohio as the State of his nativity, his birth having occurred in Muskingham County on October 18, 1853. His parents were Washington and Jane (Dailey) Williams, the former a native of Ohio, and the latter of Virginia. By occupation the father was a farmer, and followed that business throughout his entire life. When our subject was a child of four years, Washington Williams left the Budkeye State, and, accompanied by his family, emigrated westward to Illinois, taking up his residence in McDonough County. This was in 1857. Here he gave his attention to agriculture, which he successfully followed for some years. His death occurred on the 28th of August, 1891, and his widow is now living with her son, L. M. Williams. William D. is successfully engaged in farming near Adair, Ill. There were three children in the Williams family, but one of the number is now deceased. The paternal grandfather of our subject, William Williams, was a native of Connecticut, and spent the greater part of his life in Ohio. During the Revolutionary War, he aided the colonies in their struggle for independence. The family traces its ancestry back to Roger Williams, the noted pioneer and apostle of freedom in Rhode Island.
No event of special importance occurred during the boyhood and youth of our subject, who in the usual manner of farmer lads was reared and educated. The district schools afforded him a fair English education, and work in the fields aided in his physical development. After arriving at years of maturity, Mr. Williams was united in marriage with Miss Dora Adcock, daughter of Thomas Adcock. Their union was celebrated on the 25th of October, 1876, and was blessed with two children: Clarence and Glenn. Mrs. Williams, who was a member of the Christian Church, was called to her final rest on the 28th of March, 1889.
After the death of his wife, Mr. Williiams engaged in driving a hack until 1893, when, forming a partnership with Mr. Suttle, he embarked in the laundry business, which he now carried on. From the beginning their trade has constantly increased, and they now enjoy a liberal patronage, which is well deserved. Mr. Williams votes with the Republican party, with which he has been identified since casting his first Presidential ballot for Gen. U. S. Grant, in 1872. He holds membership with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and belongs to the Knights of Pythias fraternity, and to the Modern Woodmen of America.
WILLIAM HENRY INGRAM, who now resides in Macomb, is a native of Maryland. He was born on the 2d of February, 1848, and is a son of Evan Ingram. The latter was born in Wales, and during his youth emigrated to America, settling in Maryland, on the banks of the beautiful Potomac. His father purchased a flouring-mill, and Evan learned the milling business, which he followed as a means of livelihood for many years. He was united in marriage with Mary Miller, and to them were born five children: John and Mary Jane, who are now deceased; Sarah, who became the wife of G.W. Morris, by whom she has one child, and resided in Omaha, Neb.; Ellen, wife of U. S. Camp, of Omaha, Neb., by whom she has five children; and Elizabeth, wife of C. H. Given, who has one child, and resides near Republic City, Neb. Mr. Ingram having passed away, his widow was afterward married, and removed with her second husband (James Ingram, a brother of her first) to Guernsey County, Ohio, where they are still living. They have two children, Evan and J. Hamilton.
The subject of this sketch accompanied his mother and step-father to the Buckeye State, and the family located on a farm, whereon he was reared to manhood. The educational privileges which he enjoyed were those afforded by the district schools of that time. During his earliest years, he lived with his paternal grandfather. At the age of seventeen he left his old home in Ohio and came to Illinois, with a view to trying his fortune on the broad prairies of this State. He had only thirty-five cents in money and a little bundle of clothes, when, in company with J. W. Sheley, he came to McDonough County, and for four years and three months he worked for Mr. Sheley as a farm hand. He received for his services during that time $250 in money, his board, and the privilege of attending school during a short period in the winter season. His early life was not an easy one, but the obstacles which he had to surmount developed in him a self-reliance and force of character which have proven of incalculable benefit to him in later years.
On the 9th of February, 1871, Mr. Ingram was untied in marriage with Mary Elizabeth Allen, daughter of Thompson and Rhoda Allen, who are residents of Mound Township, McDonough County. Their union has been blessed with three children, but one of the number died in infancey. Those still living are, Allen T., who was born February 9, 1878, and Jessie Lee.
Mr. and Mrs. Ingram began their domestic life upon a rented farm, and in 1874 he made his first purchase of land, buying an eighty-acre tract of his father-in-law. This he at once began to clear and improve, and in course of time the wild land was transformed into rich and fertile fields. The boundaries of his farm he also extended by the purchase of two hundred and forty acres additional. He has good buildings upon his farm, and in appearance it is neat and thrifty. In the spring of 1894, however, Mr. Ingram laid aside agricultural pursuits, and is now living a retired life, resting in the enjoyment of the fruits of his former labor.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Ingram are members of the Free-Will Baptist Church, in which he is serving as Trustee and Deacon. He has also been Treasurer of the yearly meeting and Superintendent of the Sunday-school. He takes an active interest in church and benevolent work, and has lived an honorable and upright life, which has gained for him the high regard of all. In politics, he is a Republican, has served as School Trustee and Road Commissioner, and is the present Supervisor of his township. He may well be called a self-made man, for his success in life is due to his own efforts, and his example is well worthy of emulation.
OLIN EMERY , editor and publisher of the Augusta Eagle, is one of the enterprising and progressive citizens of Augusta, always alive to the best interests of the place. He was born in Blandinsville, Ill., on the 1st of December, 1868, and is a son of Dr. James H. and Rhoda E. (Hardisty) Emery. His paternal grandfather, Henry Emery, was a vative of Pennsylvania, and was a farmer by occupation. He reared a large family, and lived to the age of seventy-two years. The maternal grandfather, J. V. M. Hardisty, was born in Kentucky, and about 1830 emigrated to Illinois, locating in McDonough County. He is now living in Blandinsville, and has reached the age of more than three-score years and ten.
Dr. Emery, father of our subject, is a native of Richland County, Ohio. He is numbered among the early settlers of Illinois, whither he came in 1840. He located near Galva, Henry County, and there made his home until 1860. Having studied medicine, he began the practice of his chosen profession in 1863, in Blandinsville, and has there since made his home. He is a successful physician, who has a high reputation, and, therefore receives a liberal patronage. In June, 1893, he began the publication of the Blandinsville Star, which he has since edited in connection with his other business. He married Miss Hardisty, who was born in Blandinsville, and to them were born eight children, five sons and three daughters, seven of whom are yet living, namely: Olin; James H.; Lois E., wife of Elmer L. Wise; Otto; Roscoe D.; Daisy R. and Mamie O.
Our subject is the eldest child of the family. The days of his boyhood and youth were spent in Blandinsville, and his education was acquired in the public schools fo his native city. He was reared upon his father's farm, but not wiching to make agricultural pursuits his life work, he turned his attention to other interests, and began learning the printers' trade. In the year 1891, he came to Augusta and purchased the Augusta Eagle, a Democratic journal, of which he is both editor and publisher. This is a bright and newsy sheet, ably edited and conducted, and from the public it receives a liberal patronage, which is constantly increasing, and which is well deserved. In his political views Mr. Emery is a Democrat, and warmly advocates the principles of that party. He is still a young man, yet is recognized as one of the valued citizens of this community, for he is always found on the side of what pertains to the best interests of the county, and to its upbuilding and advancement.
THOMAS F. DUNN , who is now serving his second term as Circuit Clerk of Hancock County, makes his home in Carthage, and is recognized as one of its progressive and public-spirited citizens, wide-awake to the best interests of the community. He is also one of Hancock County's native sons, and a representative of one of her early families. He was born on the 21st of April, 1858, and is of Irish lineage. His parents, John and Mary (Cummings) Dunn, were both natives of the emerald Isle. The father resided in that country during the days of his boyhood and youth, and when a young man of eighteen years sailed for America. Hoping to better his financial condition in a land where greater privileges were afforded, he crossed the Atlantic and took up his residence in Connecticut.
In the Nutmeg State, John Dunn was united in marriage with Mary Cummings. They became the parents of eight children, but three of the number are now deceased. Mary still resides in Hancock County; Edward J. is a prosperous farmer of this county; John J. is also engaged in agricultural pursuits; Ellen is the wife of Edgar P. Hull, a resident of Hancock County; and William W. is clerk in the Exchange Bank of Carthage. In 1857 John Dunnn came to Illinois, and took up his residence in Pilot Graove Townhip, Hancock County. There he purchased land, and to its cultivation and improvement he has since devoted his energies. He is recognized as one of the leading agriculturists of the community, and by his well-directed efforts has acquired a comfortable property.
We now take up the personal history of Mr. Dunn whose name heads this record. He was reared on the old homestead in the usual manner of farmer lads. His days were passed midst play and work, and in attendance at the common schools, where he acquired a good education. He early began to labor in the fields, and became familiar with farm life in all its details. It was his desire, however, to engage in some other pursuit than that to which he was reared, and when twenty-two years of age he left the parental roof and came to Carthage.
It was at this time that the official life of Mr. Dunn began. He was appointed Deputy Circuit Clerk of Hancock County, and continued to fill that position for six consecutive years. He was then, in 1888, elected as Circuit Clerk for a term of four years. So ably did he fill the office that on the expiration of his term he was re-elected. He is ever prompt and faithful in the discharge of his offical duties, and has won the high commendation of all concerned. In 1881 he served as Township Assessor. In his political views, he is a Democrat, and the party has found in him a stanch supporter since he attained his majority. Like his parnets, he is a member of the Catholic Church. In this county, where his entire life has been passed, he is both widely and favorably known, and his friends throughout the community are many.
JOHN MANIFOLD is numbered among Hancock County's best citizens. He resides on section 19, La Harpe Township, where he is successfully engaged in farming. As he is both widely and favorably known in this community, we feel assured that the record of his life will prove of interest to many of our readers. A native of Tennessee, he was born April 8, 1829, and is a son of George Manifold, who was a native of the Keystone State, and by occupation was a builder of bridges and flatboats. The family emigrated from Tennessee to Illinois in 1836, when our subject was a lad of seven summers. He therefore became one of the pioneer settlers of Hancock County, and was reared to manhood amid the wild scenes of the frontier, sharing with the family the hardships and privations which come to those who make their home in an undeveloped region. The educational privileges which he received were those afforded by the sitrict schools of La Harpe Township, but his advantages in that direction were meagre. He has, howevery, largely overcome the obstacles in the path of learning, and through business experience, reading and ovservation he has become a well-informed man, and has prospered to a great degree.
December 14, 1854, Mr. Manifold married Miss Eliza A. Miller, and their union was blessed with one son, W. E., now a banker of La Harpe, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. In 1881, Mr. Manifold was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife, who passed away on the 3d of February of that year. On the 12th of March, 1882, he was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Elizabeth Loretta Foley, and accomplished and cultured lady. Shewas born in Gallia County, Ohio, on the 25th of November, 1843, and is a daughter of Robert P. and Elizabeth (Farmer) Chapin. She went to McDonough County, Ill., in 1855, and in 1882 came to Hancock County. To Mr. and Mrs. Manifold has been born a son, Arthur Ray, a bright boy of some ten years.
In politics, Mr. Manifold affiliates with the Democracy, which he has supported since casting his first Presidential vote for President Pierce, in 1852. The honors and emoluments of public office, however, have had no attractions for him, although he keeps himself well informed on the issues of the day. Socially, he is a member of La Harpe Lodge No. 195, A. F. & A. M., and for nineteen years was its Treasurer, a fact which indicates the confidence and trust reposed in him, and also tells of his high standing in the lodge.
Mr. Manifold is now enjoying home life on his farm on section 19, La Harpe Township, where he has one of the most commodious and elegant residences in the county, surrounded by good outbuildings and well-tilled fields, all of which indicate the careful supervision of the owner. He has ever been an enterprising and public-spirited gentleman, and has watched with interest during all his residence the growth and development of the community. Honest, truthful and temperate, his is a life worthy the emulation of all young men who desire to tread the pathway of prosperity, and who wish to leave behind them a name which will be an inspriation to coming generations.
JOHN W. McCORD , who is now living a retired life in La Harpe, is numbered among the honored pioneers of Hancock County, having since an early day not only been an eyewitness of the growth and development of this community, but having also aided in its progress and development. As he is so widely and favorably known throughout the county, we feel assured that this record of his life will prove of interest to many of our readers. His father, John McCord, was a farmer of Overton County, Tenn., whither he removed from South Carolina, his native State. His father in turn was a Colonial soldier, and was kiled in the Revolutionary War. John McCord acquired his education in the district schools of Overton County, and was married in Tennessee to Mary Willard. They became the parents of nine children. Nancy, the eldest, became the wife of John Ledgerwood, of McDonough County, but both are now deceased; William, who lived in McDonough County, is also deceased; Jane became the wife of Henry Hardin, of Keokuk, Iowa, and both have passed away; Mary, deceased, was the wife of Moses Foster, of McDonough County; John W. is the next younger; Thomas is a retired farmer of McDonough County; Margaret is the widow of James Welsh, of Kansas; Elizabeth is deceased; and Alexander Y. is a farmer of McDonough County.
The gentleman whose name heads this record was born in Overton County, Tenn., July 1, 1815, and when a youth of fifteen years accompanied his parents on their emigration to Morgan County, Ill., in 1830. After one year spent in that place he removed to McDonough County, in 1831. His education was acquired in the district schools of tennessee and Illinois, but his priveleeges in that direction were very meagre. In the school of experience, however, he was an apt pupil, and acquired a knowledge sufficient to enable him to successfully conduct his business interests. He was one of the honored pioneers of McDonough County, and remembers the time when within its borders there were innumberable wolves and deer. He remembers many incidents of life on the frontier, and while talking to the historian recalled to mind the loss of a four-year-old boy, who one Sunday evenning in 1832 wandered away from his home, about six miles north of Macomb. He remained in the woods for four days and four nights. A thunder-storm came on the night before he was rescued, and he went into a hollow tree for safety. He subsisted on blackberries, which at that time were ripe. As soon as his absence was discovered parties started out in search of him in all directions, and when he was once more restored in safety to the arms of his parents, their joy can better be imagined than described.
Mr. McCord continued to work on his father's farm until he had attained his majority, when he started out in life for himself. He chose as a companion and helpmate on life's journey Miss Nancy, daughter of George and Mary (Persley) Manifold, and a native of Tennessee. Their marriage was celebrated March 15, 1838, and they became the parents of eight children: William, who died in La Harpe Township; Mary Louisa, who died in McDonough County; Elizabeth, wife of Israel Moore, of Osborne, Kan.; George, a farmer of La Harpe Township; Sarah, deceased, wife of William Reed, now at Oklahoma; John, a farmer of Fountain Green Township, Hancock County; Noah, who carries on agricultural pursuits in La Harpe Townhip; and Ida, deceased, wife of Charles White, of the same township.
In 1840, John W. McCord came to La Harpe Township, Hancock County, and purchased forty acres of land. He afterwards purchased a seventy-acre tract from a Mormon, and later bought a tract of eighty acres, and another of ninety-four acres in Fountain Green Township. He was a successful farmer, and in course of time the once wild land was transformed into rich and fertile fields. Mr. McCord took part in the Mormon War in 1844. With about one hundred men he went to Golden's Point and thence to Nauvoo, where a skirmish occurred. The effect of this was to drive the Mormons out of the State. This section of Illinois at that time was one vast prairie and forest, almost undotted by settlers' cabins. Game of all kinds was to be had in abundance, and the work of civilization and progress seemed scarcely begun. He has ever taken a commendable interest in the ocunty and the rapid progress it has made. Since casting his first Presidential vote for Martin Van Buren in 1836, he has been a stalwart Democrat, but has never aspired to public office. He and his estimable wife are both members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and this worthy couple well deserve representation in the history of the community in which they have so long made their home, and where they have so many warm friends.
CONRAD NAGEL , deceased, was formerly a resident of Warsaw. Germany gave to Hancock County many of her best citizens, among whom is numbered the gentleman whose name heads this record. He was born in Ober Bessengen, September 13, 1837, and died in Warsaw June 7, 1893. He was a lad of only thirteen years when he came to this country with his father, John Nagel, and the family. The father died shortly after his arrival here, leaving the care of the family to his widow and older children.
In his youth our subject learned the baker's trade. During the war, when what is knownas the Black Hawk Cavalry was stationed near Warsaw, it fell to his lot to bake bread for the troops, the largest contract he had had up to that time. During the latter part of the war he was engaged in the grocery business, and in 1864 he located in the premises until recently occupied by his son. He ranked among the most successful business men of Warsaw, and became one of her wealthiest citizens, his fortune having been amassed by his own endeavors. In any enterprise that had the promise of reasonable success, he was always willing to venture his means, and to such public projects he was willing to give his hearty support. When it was proposed to locate the soldiers' home at Warsaw, the project found in him an advocate; when it was proposed to secure any manufacturing plant, he was ready to aid. His good will was always manifest toward such undertakings, and none regretted more incerely than he that Warsaw was not chosen as the place for the building of the Soldiers' Home.
On the 28th of July, 1858, Mr. Nagel married Magdelena Brehm, and to them were born eight children, but only one is now living. Five of the number died in infancy, and Helen, who became the wife of Henson Simpson, died May 3, 1893. The son, Frank L., who was born November 29, 1870, graduated from the Conservatory of Music in Moberly, Mo., and then engaged in teaching for about two years in Pueblo, Colo. He completed his sudies in Dresden, Germany, in 1891, and is now a teacher of music in Ogden, Utah. Helen, before mentioned, was born June 13, 1874, and after attending Rockford Seminary, she also studied music in Dresden, Germany, becoming very proficient both in instrumental and vocal music. She became the wife of Henson Simpson, July 6, 1891, and died in 1893, in York, Neb., leaving one child, who is now cared for by Mrs. Nagel. Otto E., who was born November 17, 1865, and was educated in Elmhurst, Ill., and Canton, Mo., went to Leavenworth, Kan., in 1882, spending about a year in that place. The succeeding year was passed in his old home in Warsaw, after which he returned to this place. For a time he engaged in the milling business, but afterwards opened a grocery, which he conducted until his death, which occurred at Warsaw March 19, 1894. In 1889, he was elected City Marshal, and filled the position for two years. In politics, he was a Republican. On the 21st of October, 1890, he led to the marriage altar Louisa Berlin, and to them were born two children, but one died in infancy. The other bears the name of Mabel. Mrs. Nagel, widow of the subject of this notice, is a daughter of Daniel Brehm, who lived and died in Germany. After his death his widow and two of her children sought homes in America, whither three of her family had previously emigrated. Mrs. Nagel here grew to womanhood. She is a most estimable lady, and her many excellencies of character have brought her the high regard of all with whom she has come in contact.
Mr. Nagel was a member of the Evangelical Church, and was most zealous in church work. He contributed most liberally to its support, and if ever there was not enough money raised to pay the pastor he made up the deficit. It seemed that he could not do too much for the church, and charities and benevolences found him alike generous. In politics, he was a stalwart Republican, and he twice served as a member of the City Council. In 1875, he served as Mayor of the city, and for several years was its Treasurer. In all of these positions he discharged his duties with a promptness and fidelity that won him high commendation. In the home circle he was a kind and indulgent husband and father, and did everything in his power to enhance the happiness and promote the welfare of his wife and children. His loss throughout the community was deeply mourned, and his memory will ever be a hallowed one while his friends and family live.
MRS. CATHERINE JOHNSON , who is now living on section 6, Walnut Grove Township, was born on the 16th of July, 1849, in New Jersey, and is a daughter of John S. and Maria A. (Brookall) Nevius. They, too, were natives of New Jersey, the former born July 16, 1820, and the latter October 16, 1825. They were married on the 8th of August, 1846, and remained in the East until 1857, when they emigrated to Illinois, locating in Henderson County. The father purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, buying the same on time, but as soon as possible he paid off the indebtedness on the place, and not only freed it from debt, but added to it, until at his death he was the owner of four hundred and forty acres of good land. He worked his way steadily upward to a position of affluence, and during the last few years of his life he lived retired, resting in the enjoyment o fthe fruits of his former toil. He passed away on the 14th of February, 1888, and was laid to rest in Raritan Cemetery. His widow is still living, and now makes her home in Stronghurst with her son Simon.
In the Nevius family were seven children, of whom five are yet living, namely: Simon, of Stronghurst; Mrs. Catherine Johnson; Sarah J., wife of T.V. Gilmore, who resides in Stronghurst; Peter B., who makes his home in Raritan; and Brachie, wife of Robert Humphrey, one of the representative and successful farmers of Henderson County. Mrs. Mary B. Powlson is deceased.
Mrs. Johnson came with her parents to Henderson County when a maiden o feight summers, and here grew to womanhood. Her childhood days were spent under the parental roof, and in attendance at the district schools of the neighborhood, where she acquired her education. On the 4th of March, 1873, she gave her hand in marriage to Peter D. Johnson, who was born April 18, 1847, and was a son of Jacob H. and Liddie (Wykoff) Johnson, who were also natives of New Jersey, and came to Illinois in 1870. The son always followed agricultural pursuits, and was a wide-awake and enterprising farmer, who successfully managed his business interests and became well-to-do. In politics, he was a Democrat, but never sought or desired political preferment. The best interests of the community ever found in him a friend, ready to aid in their advancement. He passed away on the 1st of January, 1894, respected by all who knew him, and his remains were interred in Stronghurst Cemetery.
To Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were born four children, all of whom are yet living: Annie, born December 9, 1873; Aaron, March 3, 1878; Simon P., August 17, 1880; and Eva, on the 12th of August, 1886. The children are all with the mother. The family has a pleasant home in Walnut Grove Township, where Mrs. Johnson now owns one hundred and twenty acres of good land. Since her husband's death she has managed the property, and by the assistance of her sons carries on general farming and stock-raising. She is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, and a most estimable lady, who has the confidence and high regard of all with whom she has been brought in contact.
FRANK McFARLAND is one of Oquawka's native sons. He was born on the 9th of October, 1861, and is a representative of one of the early families of the community. His father, John McFarland, was a native of Knox County, Ohio. Emigrating to Illinois, he took up his residentce in Oquawka, where for a nimber o fyears he engaged in business as a lumber merchant, but at this writing is living retired. He was united in marriage with Miss Ellen King, a native of Kentucky, and to them were born six children, three sons and three daughters, as follows: Laura, deceased, wife of T. C. Allen; Donzela, who has also passed away; Frank of this sketch; Harvey, a cutter by trade, living in Oquawka; Walter, a cutter of ladies' garments, now employed in Washington, D.C.; and Maude, yet at home.
Midst play and work the boyhood and youth of our subject were passed, unmarked by any event of special importance. His education was acquired in the public schools of Oquawka, which he attended until sixteen years of age. In 1887, he began clerking for R. D. Stanley, in whose employ he remained for a period of three years. On the 11th of October, 1893, he accepted a position as salesman with the well-known mercantile firm of McFarland & Allen, and has since continued with them. He has always lived in Oquawka, save in 1889, when he made a trip to the West, and was employed in a dry-goods store for a time. He also engaged in painting, but during the latter part of the year he returned to his native city.
On the 1st of June, 1882, Mr. McFarland was united in marriage with Miss Carrie Cunningham, of Oquawka, and their union has been blessed with six children, five of whom are yet living: Chester, Bernice, Harvey, Gladys and Frank. Ida, the second child, died in infancy. Both Mr. and Mrs. McFarland have a wide acquaintance in this community and have many warm friends, who hold them in high esteem.
On attaining his majority, Mr. McFarland proudly cast his first Presidential vote for Gen. James A. Garfield, and has since supported the Republican party, for he is a warm advocate of its principles. He has served as Alderman of the city for two years, and is now a member of the School Board. The best interest of the community ever find in him a friend, ready to aid in their advancement and progress. Mr. McFarland's career has not been a brilliant one, in the sense of attracting extended public notice, but his life has been honorable and upright, and has gained him the confidence and high regard of all with whom he has been brought in contact.
CHARLES E. PEASLEY owns and operates a fine farm on section 33, Stronghurst Township, Henderson County, having four hundred acres of rich and arable land, the greater part of which is under a high state of cultivation. It is divided into fields of convenient size, and in return fo rht ecare and labor he bestows upon them they yield to him a good income. A comfortable home and good barns are upon the place, together with all accessories and conveniences found upon a model farm.
The owner of this desirable place was here born December 22, 1860, and is the youngest in a family of four children whose parents were John S. and Lucretia (Crownover) Peasley. Addie, the eldest, is now the wife of Nathaniel Bruen. George K. is engaged in stock-dealing in Greeley, Colo. James F. is a prosperous agriculturist of this community. On coming to this county the father entered land from the Government, and to this added from time to time until he was the owner of an extensive tract. In connection with his land speculations he also engaged in stock-dealing, and was one of the first shippers in this section fo the country, engaging in that enterprise at a very early day. He was numbered among the pioneer settlers of the community and was a valued and highly-respected citizen. His death occurred January 25, 1866, and he was laid to rest in Terre Haute Cemetery. Mrs. Peasley, mother of our subject, came with her parnets from Pennsulvania to Illinois during her early girlhood. She still survives her husband and is now living in Burlington, Iowa, at the age of seventy years.
In the usual manner of farmer lads, Charles E. Peasley spent th edays of his boyhood and youth, aiding in the labors of the fields during the summer months, while in the winter season he attended the public schools. His education was completed by a course of study in Denmark Academy, in Denmark, Iowa. On attaining his majority he began farming for himself and purchased the old homestead from the other heirs, since which time he has devoted his energies to its cultivation, except for a period of three years, which he spent in Colorado engaged in the stock business. He now carries on stock-raising and shipping quite extensively, and finds this a profitable enterprise.
On the 3d of October, 1888, was celebrated the marriage of Charles E. Peasley and Miss Lou E. Hunt, of Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa, whose parents were early settlers of that locality. Three children grace the union of our subject and his wife, John, Eugene and Joseph. Socially, Mr. Peasley is connected with the Masonic lodge of Carman and the Knights of Pythias lodge of Stronghurst. He has followed in the political footsteps of his father, and is a stanch advocate of Republican principles. A wide-awake and enterprising young man, he is regarded as one of the leading farmers and citizens of this community, and in the county where he has so long made his home he is held in the highest esteem.
JOHN WALTERS , who owns and operates a fine farm of two hundred and forty acres on section 12, township 12 north, range 4 west, is one of the worthy citizens Britain has furnished to Henderson County. He was born in Lanitian Parish, Monmouthshire, on the 12th of February, 1820, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Baldwin) Walters. Of their family of seven children, he is the eldest, and was followed by Thomas and Amelia, who are now deceased; Charlotta; Elizabeth, deceased; and Mary, widow of Alex Christie.
John Walters was reared by his grandfather, with whom he remained until sixteen years of age, during which time he attended the common schools. When he had attained that age he started out in life for himself, working as a farm hand, and has since been dependent on his own resources, so that the success which he has achieved in life is the just reward of his own labors. During his entire residence in England he worked for wages. Believing that he could better his financial condition by emigrating to America, he made arrangements to cross the Atlantic. On the 4th of May, 1852, he boarded a sailing-vessel at Liverpool, England, and after forty-three days spent upon the briny deep landed in New York on the 20th of June. Coming at once to the West, he took up his residence in Henderson County, locating in Oquawka.
Mr. Walters was married ere leaving his native land, having in 1851 wedded Miss Frances Edwards. On the 13th of May, 1858, he was united in marriage with Miss Olive Jenkinson, and by their union were born eight children, five sons and three daughters; Thomas; Frances, wife of L. Lauver; Wesley; George; William; Nettie, wife of S. Simons; Joseph, deceased; and Amanda, wife of W. Brock.
Mr. Walters made his first purchase of land in Henderson County in 1853, becoming owner of a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, which he operated for a year and then sold. In 1855, he bought the farm on which he now lives, comprising one hundred and sixty acres, but its boundaries he has since extended, until two hundred and forty acres of rich land now pay tribute to his care and cultivation. It is a well-improved place, supplied with all the accessories and conveniences of a model farm, and the buildings theron stand as monuments to the enterprise and progressive spirit of the owner. Mr. Walters is independent in politics, preferring to support the men whom he thinks best qualified for the office, regardless of party affiliations. He has served as School Director, and the cause of education finds in him a warm friend. For thirty-five years he has been a faithful and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and during nearly all this period he has held some church office. He is a charitable and benevolent man, whose many excellencies of character have won him high esteem, and his example is well worthy of emulation.