©Copyright 2000 -2004 by Peggy Struwe
Logan County was organized in the year 1885 with the same boundaries it has today. A group of men left Lincoln to look over the unorganized territory, with the view of organizing a county and establishing a county seat. They expected to make a fortune selling town lots. After looking over much territory they concluded that the valley near Hoagland was what they wanted, and through their efforts the territory was organized into Logan County. As the county seat location chosen was only five and one-half miles from the Custer County line, they must have a small county and twenty-four square miles was the smallest area which could be legally organized.
About one-third of the land in the county is used for farming, and the rest is grazing land, the southern edge of Nebraska sandhills.
The South Loup river rises in Logan County, near the homestead of the late Judge Hogeboom. Some of the finest prairie hay land in the state is along this river and it was here that the first settlers located.
On July 25, 1885, the first officers elected to carry on the business of the county were: Commissioners I. N. Froman, Riley E. Haskell and Herber A. Chapin; clerk, Charles S. Wells; treasurer, W. L. Newkirk; judge, F. R. Hogeboom; surveyor, Perry Newburn; sheriff, J. B. Doan; justice of peace, Richard Hoagland.
Settlers had been coming into the territory prior to its organization; and with the formation of Logan County, promoters were so sure they could get the county seat that they built a spacious two-story frame building to be used as a courthouse. There were, however, several other settlements in the county ambitious to become the seat of government. One was in Dorp precinct near the homestead of Judge Hogeboom, another in the southeast part of the county on what is known as Garfield table. Leaders of these settlements decided to bring their forces together and defeat Logan by starting a new town to be known as Union, which was to be located on a Mr. Llewllyn's pre-emption. However, Jim Gandy of Broken Bow heard of the new town that was to be started and told the leaders if they would name the new town Gandy, he would move from Broken Bow, bring in some business men, and promote the town. He had some badly needed money to invest, so the new location became Gandy.
At the election of July 25, 1885 the Gandy location was chosen county seat. The town was mapped out and recorded on Nov. 22, 1885. The Gandy folk had been more cautious than those at Logan. There was no new town at the location until after the election. A small frame building was erected as a temporary courthouse. Jim Gandy built the first court house - the pride and joy of the pioneers. It was a two story building with a high cupola on the top.
When Gandy won the county seat Logan no longer needed its building, which was used as a community center and dance hall for a short time, then was moved to the Schrader (now Charles Brown) farm and converted into a fine barn.
All during the years the pioneers had looked forward to the time when they would have a railroad. It was a glorious time in 1911, when after many false rumors, work was actually started to extend the Union Pacific branch from Callaway. A townsite company organized with the co-operation of the railroad was to locate towns along the new rail line. They seemed to pay no attention to the location of established communities or towns in the county. Altho the railroad passed directly through the old community of Logan, the townsite company located a new town of logan three miles east of what old timers knew as Logan.
Walter V. Hoagland, who had been brought up to Logan, brought his influence to bear, organized a town of Hoagland on his father's old homestead, persuaded the Union Pacific to put in a siding and later stockyards and small depot, Hoagland postoffice today is about a mile and a quarter west of there the Logan postoffice was located.
Before the railroad arrived, the mail was carried into Logan County from North Platte. In early years the route ran first to the judge Hogeboom home to what was known as Dorp post office; then to Ed Salisbury's where the postoffice was Augustus; thence to Jess Smees where the Logan post office was located. A new town was laid out at the railroad's terminus, about three and one-half miles west of Gandy. This new town was named Stapleton, in honor of a friend of one of the townsite officials.
It was a raw new town, the end of a railroad, with a large trade territory. Though naturally sparsely settled, the Logan County sandhills had attracted many families after passage of the Kinkaid act; and Stapleton soon became a prosperous village. Several homes and office buildings were moved from Gandy to Stapleton. Both banks moved as did the drug store and several other businesses.
Those who were not willing to see Gandy completely abandoned incorporated in November 1911, and took in a strip of land which ran far enough north to cross the railroad right-of-way. Since Gandy was the county seat, the railroad company was forced to put in a siding and depot.
Stapleton boosters soon began to promote "Stapleton for county seat", but it wasn't until a special election on May 2, 1929, that they obtained the desired number of votes. The election was contested, but after a year in court a decision permanently located the county seat at Stapleton. On Feb. 24, 1930, the county records were moved, and later the old Nicholas Hotel building was converted into an adequate courthouse.
In March, 1885, Charles Wells, Jr., organized school district No. 1 in Logan County. The school was located at Gandy, and one of the early teachers was Quincy Mahan, a fine pioneer and instructor. He did much to instill ideals as well as ideas into the minds of his pupils.
In January of 1891, as a result of the drouth the summer before, the county commissioners found it necessary to distribute clothing and food to the needy. J. E. Paine was made assistance director. most of the clothing distribution was sent by more fortunate persons in the east. It is amusing to note that many of the boxes contained lovely velvets, fine laces, and beautiful silks - not very practical clothing for a farm wife in a sod house who was probably helping with milking and other farm work.
In 1904 Congress passed the "Kincaid Act," which entitled each person to homestead 640 acres instead of the previous 160 acre limit. This opened up a large amount of grazing land in the county, and in so doing it worked grave hardship on the rancher who had used the open range, or who had leased land from the government under the water right law, for it cut up pasture land into small plots. Almost all the Kinkaiders plowed some of the sandy soil, but time has demonstrated that breaking sandhill soil usually does more harm than good. Many good pastures were turned into blowouts in vain attempts at farming in the sandhills.
A small number of the Kinkaiders stayed, but the majority remained only long enough to mortgage their land or sell it to a nearby rancher. Evidence of this can be seen by driving over the country and observing the small groups of trees planted by hopeful homemakers.
Because of the comparatively dense population during the homestead days, and the difficulty of travel in the sandhills, several inland postoffices were established. Most of them were scattered over the northern part of the county. Ford was named for Bud Ford, at whose home the postoffice was located; Kirsch was in the home of F. J. Kirsch, north of Stapleton; Jem was in the northeast corner of the county, on the T. C. Johnson place; Wagner was located near Jem in the William Kerns home and named for the owner of a nearby ranch; Ranger postoffice was in the Shattuck home about two miles northwest of the E. R. Smith ranch. After population in the hills became less dense and the roads were improved, these postoffices were all discontinued. That part of the county is now served by rural routes.
Logan County pioneers were no more than nicely settled when they realized needed Christian affiliations. The first church organization of which we have a definite date was that of the Methodist Episcopal church of Gandy. Articles of incorporation were filed on Feb. 3, 1888, and the following trustees were appointed: Loami Lloyd, Leroy Karn, J. Gandy, D. S. Chappell, I. N. Froman. The first pastor to be mentioned in the record was the Rev. Mr. Derryberry. The Methodists did not build a church at this time. The Presbyterians erected a small building in 1889 and this was used by both organizations; neither was able to have a pastor all the time. They were fortunate when they had a leader of either faith. The Methodist Church that stands in Gandy today was built in 1907.
On July 8, 1888, the Rev. Thomas L. Sexon effected organization of the Presbyterian Church. W. Quincy Mahan, Albert A Sawyer, C. C. Beckwith, and F. H. Palmer were elected trustees. On April 8, 1905, during the Sunday School session, fire destroyed the church building. A new building was erected five years later. This building was moved to Stapleton in 1912 and on Dec. 21, 1930, it was destroyed by fire. In the summer of 1931 a beautiful brick church was erected. It serves as a community church for all the Protestants of the Stapleton territory.
In the year 1884, the first German Catholic family, John Brosius settled in what is now Logan County. A year or so afterwards more families of the same descent and faith followed: Schrader, Beckers, Polzkills, Karns, Walzs, Beckius, Kramers and Santos. Father Conway, pastor of the North Platte church, celebrated the first Mass in a sod house in Logan County, in the home of the John Brosius family. Those early pioneers erected a little church at Gandy in 1888, but because of the scarcity of priests in Nebraska and difficulties of travel, they were unable to have a priest more than a few times a year. However, on every Sunday all those loyal Catholic families gathered at the little church to recite prayers. With the establishment of Stapleton a spacious and beautiful church was erected in 1913, and the town has had a resident pastor since 1914.
The Haskell ranch is one of the oldest in the county, having been established in 1883 under the name of J. T. Stewart and Company. Partners were John T. Stewart, Riley E. "Cap" Haskell, and Lew Williams. In 1885 Dan Haskell came into the company. The C. T. Stewart Company dissolved in 1893 and the present Milldale Farm and Livestock Improvement Company was formed with John T. Stewart, C. T. Stewart and Dan Haskell as members. Both John T. and C. T. Stewart, father and son, were Council Bluffs businessmen, and management of the ranch has always been under Haskell supervision. Dan Haskell entered the cattle business in 1876 when he bought 100 yearling heifers for $700.00. The ranch now consists of 25,000 acres of deeded and leased land.
In 1887 E. R. Smith came to Gandy as the banker. Much of the money he had to loan was sent west by friends and associates. The 36 percent annual interest rate was very attractive to the eastern capitalist. When Smith made a loan he was asked to guarantee it, so if the borrower failed to pay his mortgage, Smith had to take the land and repay the loan himself to his eastern backers. In a few years he owned many scattered pieces of land, and in order to use them he bought adjoining pieces. By 1898 he had acquired considerable acreage in what is known as the wild horse flats, and in the heart of the hay meadow on the South Loup river. With his wife as a partner Smith began ranching. Mrs. Smith had spent several years on a ranch with her brothers in Custer County.
Mr. Smith continued banking and ranched as a side line. After the bank closed on Saturday night, Mr. Smith drove twenty miles north to the ranch, spent Sunday helping Mrs. Smith plan the work for the week and return to the bank Monday morning.
One fall when work in the bank was light, Smith ran for county treasurer and was elected. Soon after this the editor of the Pioneer grew discouraged and wished to leave. Rather than have the paper close, E. R. Smith took it over. Before the year's end Lew Williams, county clerk, lost his eyesight and asked Smith to carry on the duties of his office. Smith then was banker, editor, treasurer, clerk and rancher, but no one ever called Gandy a one man town.
After working very actively in support of a railroad into Logan County during 1910-1911, Smith died on Oct. 22, 1911, of heart failure. His wife, however, has continued to manage their ranch, and since the departure of the Kinkaiders has added many acres to the original holdings.
Some Logan County "Firsts"
The first white man known to have lived in Logan County was Thomas Kirby, a hunter and trapper. His house was a one room part dugout covered with cedar rails and dirt, located about a mile north of Logan. The first frame home in the county was built in 1877 by Charles Ewing, a rancher. It was located just east of the present town of Logan. John Simons built the first frame house in the town of Gandy. Will Graham, a son-in-law of Jess Gandy, was the first banker. The first district court in Logan County was held at Gandy, June 24, 1886. Francis G. Hamer was judge; H. M. Sinclair, district attorney; Jesse B. Doan, sheriff, and S. R. Chappell, bailiff. The Logan County Pioneer was the first newspaper. John Kelly, the editor, issued the first edition in 1886, working in a sod house. The Pioneer has changed editors many times through the years but has never missed an issue. The first telephone line into Logan County was built from North Platte by E. R. Smith in 1907.
Couny Judge Franklin R. Hogeboom, who died June 30, 1936, was the first homesteader in the county. He came to Nebraska in 1878 by way of Ogallala and to Logan County in 1881.
Many persons and many events have played important parts in the development of Logan County, but not all of them could be described in this short history. The pioneers had the courage and fortitude necessary to enter the wilderness and there make their homes; the men and women who followed had the ingenuity and perseverance to take up the load and successfully build the Logan County of today.
Bakewell, Merritt: Farmer; b Hawkeye, Ia Jan 22, 1878; s of James Bakewell-Josie Richmond; ed Logan Co; North Platte HS 3 terms; m Serena Berdelia Catterson Oct 21, 1903 Gandy; s Lawrence William, Myron James; d Opal Elizabeth, Pearl Crystal; 1885-99 resided in Logan Co where family homesteaded, aided on farm; 1903-11 homesteaded in McPherson Co near Ringgold; 1911-owner & opr farm in Logan Co; past mbr dist sch bd; during sp-Amer War 1899 enl in 22nd inf, served in Philippine Islands until 1902; only Sp-Amer War veteran in Logan Co at present; USWV; hobby, trees for Neb; grandparents came to US from England 1844, settled in Allamakee Co IA; res Stapleton.
Barbee, John Walter: Hardware Merchant; b Tama Co, Ia Jan 8, 1869; s of William Barbee-Anna Cole; ed Tama Co Ia; m Stella Vandegrift June 29, 1922 Kearney; s James Orville, Leonard Forest, Walter Melvin; d Grace Belle; 1884-89 learned harness trade, York; 1889-1907 harness maker, Gandy; 1907-12 harness maker, Maxweel; 1912- in hdw & harness bus. Stapleton; mbr town coun since 1923; mayor since 1935; hobby, fishing; res Stapleton.
Beckius, John Lawrence: Merchant; b Logan Co. Neb July 14, 1898; s of Nicholas Beckius-Eva Schrader; ed Logan Co; m Faye Hildenbrand Feb 1, 1921 Stapleton; s Robert Lawrence, James Thomas; prior to 1919 with father on farm; 1919-1925 opr of recreation room, Stapleton; 1925-27 ins agt; 1927- in groc bus; 1930- ptr in groc, Stapeleton; 1931- mbr town coun; VP Comml Club; Cath ch, KC; Dem; hobbies, hunting and fishing; res Stapleton.
Brewer, Willard Carlton: Clergyman; b Fayette, Ia Nov 15, 1871; s of John J Brewer-Mary Jane Bates; ed Cairo; York Coll, 1891-92; Scofield Bible Course Correspondence; m Cora E Hart Jan 1 1892 Cairo; s Castle Ian; Wilbur Milton; d Elda; 1893-94 minister Amherst; 1889-1902 minister Cairo; 1900-02 Cozad; 1902-16 ordained elder Evang Ch, Beaver Crossing; 1916 joined Verdon Presby Ch as ordained minister; 1902-07 minister, Verdon; 1907-08 York; 1908-10 Hastings; 1910-12 Lake Arthur, N M; 1912-14 Alma; 1914-16 York; 1916-19 Thayer; 1919-21 Deshler; 1921-25 Edgar; 1925-32 Lexington; 1932-34 Emerson; 1934-36 Lisco; 1936- Stapleton; MWA; Rep; hobby, flower gardens; res Stapleton.
Brosius, John Peter: rancher; b Schleidweller, germany dec 16, 1871; s of John Brosius-Mary Werner; ed Germany; m Mary Beckius Apr 21, 1896 Lincoln Co; d Clara eva, Anna Amelia, Minnie Margaret, Verna Emma, Mary Kathryn; 1883 came to US with parents who homesteaded in Logan Co; 1896-1900 homesteaded near Garfield Table, Lincoln Co; 1900- Rancher, stockman near Stapleton; co commr 4 years; dist sch bd mbr 16 years; 1918-33 pres Stapleton farmers State Bank; KC; Cath Ch, trustee; Rep; hobby riding; res Stapleton.
Brown, Rudolph Reese: County Clerk; b Gandy, Neb Sept 6, 1905; s of Charles W Brown-Corda S Wells; ed Hoagland; Logan Co HS 1924; York Coll 1924-27; 1927-38 farmed near Hoagland; 1938- Logan Co clk; 1934-39 chmn; Comml Club; MWA; IOOF; Dem; hobby, hunting; res Stapleton & Hoagland.
Callender, Harry Eugene: Merchant; b Logan Co, Neb Aug 11, 1886; s of David N Callender-Mary Anna Rickley; ed Logan Co; Omaha Comml Coll 1905-06; m Maggie M Smith Nov 1, 1909 North Platte; s Leonard David; 1906-13 ranched with father, McPherson Co; 1913-15 in mdse bus, North Platte; 1915-20 ranched McPherson Co; 1920- in mdse bus, Stapleton; 1922-33 mbr town coun, city treas; IOOF; MWA; Comml Club; Presby Ch; Dem; Hobbies, hunting & fishing; res Stapleton.
Carr, Emanuel Frederic: Physician & Surgeon; b Buffalo Co, Neb Oct 3, 1881; s of George W Carr-Hanna Everhart; ed Grand Island HS; Lincoln Med Coll; Bennett Coll, Chicago, MD 1906; Tau Alph Epsilon; m Irene Hardy Sept 27, 1905 Glenwood Ia; 1906-12 prac med, Ravena; 1911- UP RR surg; 1912- prac med, Stapleton; mbr staff st Marys Hosp, North Platte; 1933- Logan Co Judge; 1912-27 mbr sch bd; during World War, mbr selective service bd; major 314th engrs, ORC; AF&AM, Tehama Shrine; past patron OES; IOOF; Comml Club; Neb St Med Assn; Presby Ch; 1917 co chmn ARC; Dem; hobbies, woodwork, saddle horses; res Stapleton.
Carr, Irene Hardy: Homemaker; b Melrose, Ia Nov 30, 1880; d of James Hardy- Sarah E Chick; ed Russell Ia; Normal Sch, Shenandoah, Ia; KSTC; m E F Carr Sept 27, 1905 Glenwood Ia; s Harold Hardy, Fredrick Dean; d Audrey Lucille; 1896-7 tchr, Russell Ia; 1898-1905 tchr, Mills Co Ia; 1912-17 tchr, Stapleton; past pres Woman's Club; OES, past matron; RNA; Presby Ch; Dem; hobby, book collecting; res Stapleton.
Coufal, Hilda Hattie: County Superintendent of Schools; b Bruno Neb Feb 14, 1906; d of Leopold J Coufal-Anna Schueler; ed Miller HS 1923; KSTC; 1923-27 tchr, Buffalo Co; 1927-28 tchr, Gandy; 1928-35 tchr, Stapleton; 1935-38 prin Stapleton Grade sch; 1938- co supt of schs; Woman's Club, pres; advisory ofcr Theta Rho; treas, past noble grand, Rebekahs; RNA; Presby Ch; Dem; hobby reading; res Stapleton.
Delfs, August Marcus: County Treasurer; b Calco, Neb Aug 16, 1897; s of Fritz Delfs-Louise Voss; ed Chalco; Grand Island Bus coll: m ada Belle Moore Aug 9, 1933 Stapleton; s Richard Marcus; 1924-27 bkkpr Bank of Stapleton; 1927-30 farmed near Stapleton; 1930- Logan Co treas; Comml Club secy; IOOF; MWA; AF&AM; Presby Ch; Rep; hobby, hunting; off Courthouse; res Stapleton.
Evans, Alfred Thomas: Publisher; b Boone, Ia Feb 4, 1872; s of Charles Evans-Rachel Muckey; ed Boone Ia; m Philomena Warden Sept 20, 1922 North Platte; s Alfred Thomas Jr, Anthony Phillip, Terry Warden; 1888 came to Neb with parents, settled O'Neil where father oprd newspaper; 1893-21 resided in south; 1921- owner-opr Logan Co Pioneer; IOOF; hobby, promotion of good roads; res Gandy.
Fleddermann, Bernard: Farmer; b Hanover Province, Germany Apr 1, 1879; s of Henry Fledderman-Mararet Schroeder; ed Germany; 1894-1903 worked on farm near Carrol Ia; 1903-05 farmed near Beloit Kas; 1905-07 farmed near Carrol Ia; 1907-11 farmed, Custer Co; 1911-15 foreman of ranch, Oconto; 1916- farmer,Stapleton; cath Ch; Dem; hobby, travel; res Stapleton.
Glandon, Earl W: Rural Mail Carrier; b Indianola, Neb Dec 13, 1885; s of J S Glandon- _________; ed Bartley HS; KSTC 2 years; m Rose Hogg Aug 4, 1914 Shelton; s Adrian Merwyn; 1905-10 rural sch tchr, Redwillow, Merrick & Buffalo Cos; 1911-19 supt of schs, Pleasanton, Oconto & Stapleton; 1923-28 editor & publisher of Stapleton Enterprise; 1928- rural mail carrier, Stapleton; past treas & secy Logan Co Fair Assn; past mbr sch bd, Stapleton; past mbr Baker Rural HS; Corresponding secy Neb Ornithologists Union, serving 3rd term; hobbies, bird study, wild flower study, photography; res Stapleton.
Hughes, George Harbin: Retired; b Algiers, Ind Feb 20, 1861; s of James H Hughes-Sarah Rothrock; ed Algiers Ind; m Emma Thatcher Sept 16, 1888, North Platte; d Jessie Maden, Caryl; 1884-1891 homesteaded near Garfield Table, Logan Co; 1920- resides in Gandy; 1915-17 bank cashier, Gandy; 1815-21 Logan Co judge; mbr sch bd 6 years; IOOF; Meth Ch; Rep; hobby, flower preservation; res Gandy.
Karn, John B: Postmaster; b Logan Co, Neb Dec 29, 1888; s of Peter Karn-Emma Beckius; ed Logan Co; m Agnes Jesse Bakewell July 1, 1929 Ft. Morgan, Colo; d Dorothy Donna; 1913-18 grain buyer, Logan Co; 1919-23 farmer, Logan Co; 1923-38 in auto bus, Stapleton; 1934- PM, Stapleton; during World War, 1918-19 with ambulance co, O/S 9 mos; Amer Leg; Comml Club; hobbies, hunting, fishing; res stapleton.
Kenny, Peter John: clergyman; b Strokestown, Co Roscommon, Ireland May 12, 1894; s of Frank Kenny-Eilen Shanagher; ed Natl Sch. Strokestown; Smmer Hill Coll, Silgo Ireland, 1909-13 Maynwoth Coll, Dublin 1913-14; Wexford Coll, Ireland 1919-20; 1920 ordained to priesthood by Bishop O'Doherty, Loughrea Ireland; 1921 came to US, asst to Father Hayes, Greeley Col; 1923- priest Cath Ch, Stapleton; KC; hobby, hunting; res Stapleton.
Kutsch, Theodore Herman: grocer; b Kearney, Neb Mar 16, 1906; s of Jacob Kutsch-Anna Stamm; ed Miller HS; York Bus Coll; m Mary Louise Gould June 3, 1934 Stapleton; s David Lee; 1926-27 bkkpr First Bank of Miller; 1927-35 Clk, Bank of Stapleton; 1935- owner & opr groc, Stapleton; mbr town coun since 1935; pres Comml Club; Luth Ch; Rep; hobby, baseball; res Stapleton.
Link, John Martin: Assistant Bank Cashier; b st Michael, Neb Nov 2, 1900; s of Jacob Link-Katherine Rapp; ed near St Michael; Grand Island Bus Coll 1919-21; m Grace Salisbury July 8, 1928 Stapleton; d Barbara Jane, Janice Elaine; 1921- asst cash Bank of Stapleton; treas Comml Club; treas IOOF; secy-treas MWA; chmn Wildlife Fedn of Logan Co; committeeman BSA; Presby Ch, elder since 1928, treas since 1923; Rep; hobby, stamp collecting; res Stapleton.
Peterson, Frank Emmett: Bookkeeper; b Toulon, Ill July 21, 1879; s of John Peterson-Sophia Johnson; ed Franklin Co; Gem City Bus Coll, Quincy ILL; m Elizabeth Weston Dec 18, 1904 Wilcox; d Ruth, Mary Elizabeth, Frances; 1903-04 bkkpr First Natl Bank, Blue Hill; 1904-05 emp Gilcrest Lbr Co. Miller; 1905-11 bkkpr, asst cash, First Natl Bank, Miller; 1911-12 with Bank of Gandy; 1912- Banker, Stapleton; 1912-17 , mbr sch bd; AF&AM; Tehama Shrine; Comml Club; Presby Ch; Rep; hobby, fishing; res Stapleton.
Pogson, Mrs Hazel Roten: Publisher; b Sni Mills, Mo Dec 9, 1897; d of Lawrence S Roten-Bell Schneringer; ed Stapleton HS; KSTC 1915-16; Bus Coll, Greeley Colo 1923; m Walter J Pogson Jan 1, 1935 Curtis; 1916-21 bkkpr, Bank of Stapleton; 1921-23 bkkpr Farmers State Bank, Stapleton; 1923-27 bkkpr; 1927-29 worked for Stapleton Enterprise; 1929- owner & opr Stapleton Enterprise; Rebekah, secy, past noble grand; RNA, receiver; Pioneer Birthday Club; past pres Amer Leg aux, Stapleton unit; Presby Ch; hobby, collecting vases; res Stapleton.
Polzkill, John William: Contractor; b Dodgeville, Wis Apr 25, 1880; s of John Polzkill-Margaret Karn; ed Dodgeville Wis; 1886-1902 homesteaded & farmed west of Stapleton; 1902-04 ranched in Grant Co; 1904-08 farmed near Stapleton; 1908-09 drove freight wagon; 1909- carp, bldg contr, Stapleton; Cath Ch; Dem; hobby, travel; res Stapleton.
Smith, Mrs Eli Robert; Rancher; b Creston, Ia Dec 26, 1863; d of John P Hanna-Judith Braden; ed Prescott Ia; m Eli Robert Smith Mar 1, 1889 Fontanelle Ia; d Helen Wharton, Mary Louise; 1889-1911 helped husband manage ranch; 1911- owner & opr ranch properties; 1889- husband owner opr Gandy Bank; Woman's Club; First Congl Ch; Rep; hobby, raising turkeys; res Gandy.
|Go back to the Top or to the Logan County Page or to the NE State Page .||
|About the NEGenWeb Project||Requirements for Home Pages Created Under the NEGenWeb Project|