acquired state school land N1/2 of Section 10; while Joseph C. Osborn also acquired a 40 acre tract of the NW1/4 of Section 10; and his brother, Z. M. Osborn acquired the remainder of the S1/2 of Section 10 except an 80 acre tract which Henry Tiedgen acquired. One Chas. L. Lyon acquired the N1/2 of Section 11, and C. H. Reeves homesteaded the SW1/4 of Section 11 and his brother-in-law, T. C. Osborn, homesteaded the SE1/4 of the same section.
Then we come to the NW1/4 of Section 12, which is undoubtedly the first quarter section on which patent was applied for by perhaps the first woman to settle on the Battle Creek. This was Mrs. Rosina Ketterman, widowed the first winter of 1867 and 1868 and then married another new settler, John Lucht, in 1870. Her brother, John Prauner, homesteaded the NE1/4 of Section 12 and one Wm. Ellis settled on the SW1/4 and Wm. H. Switzer took the SE1/4.
D. A. Hale took the NE1/4 of Section 13 and also acquired the NE1/4 of Section 14 and the SE1/4 of Section 14. John Moore took the SE1/4 of Section 13 and his brother, Thomas Moore, took a part of the SW1/4 of Section 13 with some other land; Willard I. Colby took the NW1/4 of Section 13; John D. Hale took the NW1/4 of 14; A. J. Thatch took the SE1/4 of the same section and M. S. Cox, also of Virginia, took the NE1/4 of 15. J. T. Hale took the SW1/4 and S. P. Pilger the SE1/4 of the same section. Hattie A. Hale, a sister of the Hale Brothers, acquired three quarter sections of school land in Section 16 and J. C. Reeves took the SE1/4 of the same section.
John Emerich took a part of Section 17, Township 22, Range 3. The now forgotten town of Emmerich which was located nine miles south of Meadow Grove, was named after him.
In reviewing the names of Schoolcraft Precinct settlers, we have Carl Prauner, Fred Scheerger, Germans; Joe Skala from Bohemia and a group of Virginians headed by John D. Hale, T. C. Osborn, F. J. Hale, and C. H. Reeves. Other Hale brothers to follow were Troy Hale, and Charlie Hale. The father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Warner Hale also came with young children. The original party came by ox team from Omaha. The Osborn brothers to follow were Allen (Shine) Osborn, Fielden H. (Hoyt), who was too young to take a homestead but later acquired the NE1/4 of 15-22-3; Joseph C. and Z. M. Osborn and a still younger brother, Robert.
T. C. Osborn and his wife had four children, Frank, Enoch, and Lee and the daughter, who became Mrs. Fields Boyer. She moved with her family to Cherry County where some of her descendants still reside. T. C. (or "Doc" as he was best known) retired in Battle Creek where he passed away. His home was the one occupied by the Alfred Henseleit family.
Allen "Shine" Osborn whose first wife was Sallie Dufphey, later married Ellen Cox who was a sister of Mastin Cox. He stayed on the farm all of his life. He and his wife Ellen had five children: Richard, Troy, June, Allen, Virgie.
F. H. "Hoyt" and his wife Alice Kenney, retired to Norfolk