Merrick County, Nebraska
This Site is part of
Note: These files are old and are presented for reference only. The email addies are invalid
Generation No. 1
1. ISRAEL1 PACKER, son of Elisha Packer and Asenath Mendenhall, was born August 28, 1850 in Harrison, Jefferson, OH, and died November 24, 1927 in Ord, Valley, NE. He married ABIGAIL S. THOMPSON August 04, 1875 in Harrisville, Jefferson, Ohio, daughter of ELISHA THOMPSON and MARTHA GOODWIN. She was born June 20, 1857 in Harrisville, Harrison, OH, and died October 09, 1934 in Central City, Merrick, NE.
Notes for ISRAEL PACKER:
Israel and Abi farmed in Ohio until 1882, and then moved to the unsettled plains of Kansas. It appears that they stayed in Kansas for only a short while, maybe only for the harvest of one crop before returning to Iowa. Her son Leroy has said they had very little to eat because of a bad crop year. Son Walter has told of the necessity to herd cattle on the prairie all day on his pony when he was only five years old. Although this was quite a worry to his mother, she was kept in the house all day with the younger ones, Bertha, Marion, and Rollin who was then a baby. The first land purchased in Marshall County, Iowa by Israel was recorded on October 2, 1882, from William Nichols. Israel's land was sold on August 18, 1899 and the family headed out to homestead in the sandhill country of Nebraska.
The Packer's have a registered cattle brand dated March 13, 1913. The brand, Quarter circle over a heart, was registered under Number 7659 by Israel Packer, Garfield Co NE, for use on left hip. In 1928 the brand was listed to Russell Packer, 1953 registered, Glenn Packer.
Israel's listed on the IGI - Ohio page 53,808 source: M514373 dated 26 Apr 1985 Recorded as: Packer, Isaac (M) Thompson, Abie S. 4 Aug 1875 Jefferson Co OH. There are several more entries listed from other sources with the name of Isaac listed as Israel, the record above is an extracted record from the courthouse and the others are records persons have submitted to the Mormon church.
1880 Jefferson Co Ohio census Mt Pleasant Page 333 ED 103 Line 34: Israel Packer 29 farmer OH/OH/OH; Abi 22 OH/OH/OH; Walter 2 OH; Bertha 1 OH. Israel's father is two families down on this same page.
In addition to the information supplied by the book "Elisha Packer His Descendants and His Ancestors" includes a copy of church records on Quakers titled "The William Wade Hinshaw index of Iowa Quakers" Film #6051154 logged under 977.7 #3 at the Family History Center in Grants Pass Oregon. Record reads: Marietta Monthly Meeting Henry County Iowa 8 Dec 1888 - Hicksite. Information includes both John and Israel Packer's families.
Notes for ABIGAIL S. THOMPSON:
Abi's name was pronounced - long A + Bye. It is said she was very proper and came from a well to do family prior to marrying Israel Packer. She was of the Quaker religion. Will of Abi Packer: Ord, Valley, NE 20 May 1935 Recorded in Misc. BK "T" page 132 No. 1051.
Children of ISRAEL PACKER and ABIGAIL THOMPSON are:
WALTER THOMAS2 PACKER, b. August 26, 1877, Harrisville, Jefferson, OH; d. February 03, 1965, Canal Fulton, OH.
BERTHA G. PACKER, b. December 15, 1878, Short Creek, Jefferson, OH; d. July 11, 1956, Elbert, CO.
MARION ELISHA PACKER, b. November 28, 1880, Marietta, OH; d. August 05, 1937, Lake City, Calhoun, IA; m. BERTHA ELIZABETH KEARY, June 01, 1915; b. April 16, 1883, Lake City, Calhoun, IA; d. May 25, 1959, Lake City, Calhoun, IA.
CHARLES ROLLIN PACKER, b. January 01, 1882, Harrisville, Jefferson, OH; d. October 07, 1950, Bremerton, WA.
KERSEY LEROY PACKER, b. April 11, 1886, Marshall Co., IA; d. January 1977, Meridan, Ada, ID.
MARTHA ELIZABETH PACKER, b. April 19, 1888, Marshall Co., IA; d. September 07, 1971.
HENRY ALLEN PACKER, b. November 01, 1889, Marshall Co., IA; d. April 05, 1949, Lake City, Calhoun, IA.
HIRAM RUSSEL PACKER, b. May 27, 1891, Marshall Co., IA; d. May 27, 1963, Van Buren, AR.
IRA ARNEY PACKER, b. October 07, 1896, Marshalltown, IA; d. April 04, 1974, Central City, Merrick, NE.
Generation No. 2
2. WALTER THOMAS2 PACKER (ISRAEL1, ELISHAA) was born August 26, 1877 in Harrisville, Jefferson, OH, and died February 03, 1965 in Canal Fulton, OH. He married GENEVIEVE HEIGHTON March 16, 1904 in Marshall Co., IA. She was born October 17, 1882 in Ames, Iowa, and died October 06, 1951 in Canal Fulton, OH.
3. BERTHA G.2 PACKER (ISRAEL1, ELISHAA) was born December 15, 1878 in Short Creek, Jefferson, Ohio, and died July 11, 1956 in Elbert, CO. She married JENS OLKJER January 22, 1908. He was born January 22, 1873 in Buena Vista Co., IA, and died August 08, 1964 in Elbert, CO.
4. CHARLES ROLLIN2 PACKER (ISRAEL1, ELISHAA) was born January 01, 1882 in Harrisville, Jefferson, OH, and died October 07, 1950 in Bremerton, WA. He married VERNA ELEANOR MC COY January 05, 1905 in Pond Creek, OK. She was born January 17, 1882 in Scranton, IA, and died November 17, 1955 in Bremerton, WA.
5. KERSEY LEROY2 PACKER (ISRAEL1, ELISHAA) was born April 11, 1886 in Marshall Co., IA, and died January 1977 in Meridan, Ada, ID. He married CORA ESHBAUGH June 14, 1916 in Rockwell City, IA. She was born November 27, 1885 in Rockwell City, IA, and died October 24, 1963 in Boise, ID.
6. MARTHA ELIZABETH2 PACKER (ISRAEL1, ELISHAA) was born April 19, 1888 in Marshall Co., IA, and died September 07, 1971. She married J. SAMUEL HARRIS May 01, 1912. He was born October 25, 1888.
7. HENRY ALLEN2 PACKER (ISRAEL1, ELISHAA) was born November 01, 1889 in Marshall Co., IA, and died April 05, 1949 in Lake City, Calhoun, IA. He married ANNA G. FERGUSON March 03, 1915 in Lake City, Calhoun, IA. She was born April 11, 1892 in Lake City, Calhoun, IA, and died November 05, 1958 in Lake City, Calhoun, IA.
Child of HENRY PACKER and ANNA FERGUSON is:
i. PAUL HENRY3 PACKER, b. November 05, 1919; d. July 31, 1998, Calhoun County, IA.
8. HIRAM RUSSEL2 PACKER (ISRAEL1, ELISHAA) was born May 27, 1891 in Marshall Co., IA, and died May 27, 1963 in Van Buren, AR. He married (1) ELIZABETH ENA RIESS November 17, 1914 in Mahnomen, , MN. She was born November 17, 1896 in Winooski, , VT. He married (2) CATHERINE BLACK January 22, 1951. She was born August 01, 1893 in Alden, KS.
9. IRA ARNEY2 PACKER (ISRAEL1, ELISHAA) was born October 07, 1896 in Marshalltown, IA, and died April 04, 1974 in Central City, Merrick, NE. He married MARTHA EVELYN AMANDA BROWN February 14, 1917 in Central City, Merrick, NE, daughter of CHARLES BROWN and IDA LITTEN. She was born December 23, 1898 in Central City, Merrick, NE, and died November 08, 1994 in Central City, Merrick, NE.
Notes for IRA ARNEY PACKER:
Ira Arney Packer was born in Sherwood, Iowa, on October 7, 1896. He was the son of Israel and Abi. Ira was the baby of the family. He farmed most of his life around Clarks, Nebraska. Ira retired from farming and worked for a realtor in Central City.
The family moved on to Nebraska when Ira was around three years old. Ira's older brother tells of rising early one morning and finding his horses and saddles gone. These Packers were known for their long legs and the thieves found it necessary to cut pieces from the stirrups to shorten them. They made the mistake of leaving the scraps of leather on the ground. Through these fresh cuttings both the horses, and saddles were traced to an Indian Reservation just to the north of where he lived.
Ira married Martha Brown on Valentines Day, 1917, Central City NE. Ira farmed most of his life around Clarks, Nebraska. When he retired from farming he worked for a realtors office until his death. He is described by his family as a quiet, gentle man. He was raised a Quaker as were both of his parents. Ira died on his son Charles birthday April 4, 1974.
Ira and Martha were married by Bryant Howe Pastor M. E. Church. Witnesses were, Mr & Mrs. H. V. Persons. These were the sister and brother-in-law of Martha E. Brown.
Social Security death Index: IRA PACKER 7 Oct 1896 - Apr 1974 Central City, Merrick, NE SS # 543-05-1801 issued in Oregon Before 1951.
Notes for MARTHA EVELYN AMANDA BROWN:
Martha Evelyn Brown was born on December 23, 1898. She was born in Central City, Merrick Co. Nebraska where she spent her entire life. Martha was the second of seven children. There was Margaret Person 1896, Martha, Earl, Alma Butts has twins Max and Maxine, Ruth, Alice Cosner, and the youngest was Merle who was quite the prankster. He was married to Jane Gray, and they had one son.
Martha's father Charles Arch Brown, son of Charles Judd Brown and Amanda Cowles. Charles Judd son of Richard D and Charity Rowe Brown. This family is witten about in the Biography of Johnson Co. NE. Martha's mother was Ida E Litten, born on October 1877, Clarks NE, daughter of Michael & Martha Wilson Litten (all of Central City). Ida died July 31, 1958.
Martha's uncle Ed Brown married her aunt Maggie Litten. Her aunt Eva Brown married her uncle Mike Litten. Siblings to both her parents!
Children of IRA PACKER and MARTHA BROWN are:
i. KENNETH IRA3 PACKER, b. June 11, 1919, Ord, Valley, NE; d. June 28, 1919, Ord, Valley, NE.
ii. CHARLES E PACKER, b. April 04, 1922, Ord, Valley, NE; d. September 18, 1998, Aloha, Washington, OR.
Submitted by Packer <email@example.com>
Elnathan PHELPS IV
1. Elnathan PHELPS IV was born in 1818 in Rutland Co., VT. He appeared on the 1840 & the 1850 census in St Lawrence Co., New York. He appeared on the 1860 census in Kossuth, Manitowoc, WI. The Phelps family moved to Merrick Co, NE in 1867, coming overland by wagon. Elnathan homesteaded land one mile east of Central City. He appeared on the 1870 census in Merrick Co, NE Lone Tree District. He died on 5 Jul 1871 in Lone Tree, Merrick, NE. At about six o'clock in the evening of July 5, 1871 a tornado or waterspout crossed the country going in an easterly direction from Central City, and about one mile east of town destroyed the house of EInathan Phelps, where he and three of his children, Rose, Carrie, and Abraham were eating supper. They were carried some feet in the air and cast upon the ground some yards from where the building stood. The dead body of Mr. Phelps was found in the debris of a cottonwood tree. Mr. Phelps senior, had his neck broken. The children escaped without suffering serious injury. Abraham had his collar bone broken and was knocked senseless, and Rose had her head injured.
He was married to Lucinda WILSON about 1842 in VT. Lucinda Wilson was born in 1822 in New York. She died before Feb 1864 in NE.
Elnathan Phelps IV and Lucinda Wilson had the following children:
Martha Millicent Phelps was born in 1843 in St Lawrence Co, New York.
Jane E. Phelps was born in 1845 in Orswell, Rutland, VT.
Ada I. Phelps.
William E. Phelps.
Albert Phelps was born in 1852 in New York. He died before 1870.
Ann Elizabeth "Elisa" Phelps.
Lincoln Abraham Phelps.
Carrie Phelps was born in 1863 in Wisconsin. She appeared on the census 1880 p19 in Merrick Co, NE.
Elnathan was married second to Catherin PHALEN on 7 Feb 1864 in Central City, Merrick, NE. Catherin Phalen died about 1869 in Lone Pine, Merrick, NE.
Ada I. Phelps was born in 1847 in Orswell, Rutland, VT. She appeared on the census 1870 p239 in Merrick Co, NE.
She was married to Henry C. MARTIN (son of John L. Martin and Rebecca Caskey) on 24 Mar 1868 in Merrick Co, NE.
Henry C. Martin was born about 1843 in Ohio. He appeared on the census in 1870 in Merrick Co, NE. He appeared on the census in 1890 in Veterans Schedule, Merrick Co, NE.
Ada I. Phelps and Henry C. Martin had the following children:
Merril Martin was born in Dec 1869 in Merrick Co., NE.
William E. Phelps was born on 14 Jul 1849 in St Lawrence Co, New York. He appeared on the census in 1850 in St Lawrence Co, New York. He appeared on the census in 1870 in Merrick Co, NE. He appeared on the census in 1900 and in 1910 in Merrick Co, NE. He died on 12 Jun 1930 in Merrick Co., NE, & was buried in Central City Cemetery, Merrick, NE. He was described as very handsome man who sported a large mustache. He and his family moved to Merrick County, Nebraska, in 1867, coming overland by wagon from Wisconsin.
He was married to Laura REED (daughter of Harlow H. Reed & Fidelia S. Griffin) on 30 Jan 1876 in Central City, Merrick, NE.
Laura Reed was born on 25 Dec 1854 in Ohio. She appeared on the census in 1880 in Merrick Co, NE. She died on 21 Jul 1937 in Merrick Co, NE. She was buried in Central City Cemetery, Merrick, NE.
William E. Phelps and Laura Reed had the following children:
William Wilber Phelps b 26 Oct 1876. Married Florence BRANNAN 18 Apr 1899 Merrick Co NE. d 29 Mar 1942
Lucinda F. Phelps b 27 Dec 1877. Married William CAMPBELL 7 Apr 1897 (Hamilton Co NE). d 13 Dec 1947
Raymond Robert Phelps b 12 Sept 1884. Married Mary TAYLOR May 1909. d 15 Jan 1965 Merrick Co NE
Eugene Phelps was born in May 1887 in Merrick Co., NE.
Ann Elizabeth "Elisa" Phelps was born in 1853 in St Lawrence Co, New York.
She married to Robert WATERS (son of John Waters & Mary Mudd) 18 Jul 1870 in Central City, Merrick, NE.
Robert Waters was born about 1848 in Louisiana.
Rosalin Phelps was born in 1854 in St Lawrence Co, New York. She appeared on the census 1880 p39 in Merrick Co, NE.
She was married to James A. BOIES (son of S. J. Boies and Mary E. Coswell) on 6 Jun 1875 in Central City Cemetery, Merrick, NE.
James A. Boies was born about 1856 in IN. He appeared on the census 1880 p39 in Merrick Co, NE.
Rosalin Phelps and James A. Boies had the following children:
Charles Boies was born about 1877 in Nebraska.
Artie Boies was born in Jan 1879 in Nebraska.
Mary Phelps was born in 1859 in Kossuth, Manitowoc, WI.
She was married to Owen GAFFNEY (son of George Gaffney & Ann Sharon) on 28 Dec 1878 in Merrick Co, NE.
Owen Gaffney was born about 1853.
Lincoln Abraham Phelps was born on 10 Dec 1861 in Kossuth Township, Manitowoc, WI. He appeared on the census 1900 p227A in Merrick Co, NE. He appeared on the census 1910 p26B/27A in Merrick Co, NE.
He was married to Cora A. RICHFIELD on 11 Apr 1880 in Central City, Merrick, NE.
Cora A. Richfield was born in 1860 in Michigan. Lincoln Abraham Phelps and Cora A. Richfield had the following children:
Gertie Phelps was born in Aug 1881 in NE.
John Alnathan Phelps.
Willie Phelps was born in 1897 in NE.
Archie Phelps was born in 1903 in NE.
Submitted by Angela Packer
"The Fine Print"
Merrick County Coordinator: Martha A Crosley Graham