Merrick County, Nebraska
Merrick County Mini-Genealogy
|Charles SHIELDSTROM||born c1822, Sweden|
|Christina FLORIN(E)||born c1822, Sweden||(does not appear in 1900 census with her family)|
|Albert C.||born c1848, Sweden|
|Leticia H. Caroline||born May 1859, Sweden||Married Levi B. Willoughby - Merrick Co. Marriage Record Bk A p 201 #201|
|Joseph||born c1856, Sweden|
|Anna M.||born May 1857, Sweden||Married Daniel T. Sullivan - Merrick Co. NE Marriage Record Book B p 386 #830|
|Gabiel||born c1859, Sweden|
|Louise E.||born c1861, Canada||Married Neils Hamilton - Merrick Co. NE Marriage Record Book B p 43 #489|
|Martha||born c1864, Canada||"Aunt Mat"|
|Sarah||born c1873, Canada|
|Notes: Members of this family appear in 1880, 1885, & 1900 census records for Merrick County, NE. Some marriage records also found.|
Correspondence from Janet Lenon, May 2005:
The Shieldstroms came from Uppsala, Sweden about the time of the Civil War. They were Quakers and did not want their sons to serve in the Swedish Army. They first went to Canada. Martha Shieldstrom - "Aunt Mat" was my Mother's great-aunt.
Janet has provided some material (which belonged to Aunt Mat) for scanning and posting to this website - Temperance cards
John Shimanek, son of Jan Simanek (sp change) and Teresie Tvrz, was born February 5, 1860 in Sach 14, Moravia. He married Mary Emma Andrews, born January 7 1868 in Binghampton, Chenango Co, NY on May 16, 1889 in Clarks, Merrick Co, NE. John died 14 Jan 1932 in Corvallis, Benton Co, OR. Mary E died 11 Jan 1934 in Scio, Linn Co, OR. Both are buried at Franklin Butte Cemetery in Scio, OR.
- They had children:
- John William, born Apr 17 1890 in NE
- Frank Joseph born Jan 14, 1893 in Central City, NE
- Lester Edwin born Aug 10 1895 in Central City, NE
- Eunice Mabel born Nov 9 1897 in Clarks, NE
- Gertrude Ollie born Nov 211899 in Clarks, NE
- Theodore George born Nov 23 1901 in Merrick Co, NE
- Mary Emma born Jun 26 1903 in Scio, Linn Co, OR
- Clarence Arthur born Apr 10 1906 in Scio, OR
- Ida Ruth born Jan 16 1909 in Scio, OR
- Henry Howard born Nov 25 1912 in Scio, OR
Eunice Mabel Shimanek married Frank Bartu (b. 29 July 1894 in Rushville, Sheridan Co, NE) on 12 Sep 1916 in Albany, Linn Co. OR. Eunice died 11 Jan 1993 in Scio, OR. She and Frank are buried in the family plot in Scio, OR.
Cathy Morgan <email@example.com>
Return to surnames page
Alexander Shively married Agnes Adams in 1845 in Seneca, OH. They had eight children of which Thomas was their second, born 1848 in Tama, Iowa.
Alexander and son Thomas Shively came to Mead Township, Merrick County to homestead in 1872. They returned to Tama County, Iowa to bring Agnes to the new homestead. She died before they arrived in Omaha & her body was sent to Clarks by train. She was the second person buried in Bureau Cemetery at Pierce Chapel.
Thomas A. Shively married Indiana Violet Richards, daughter of Amaziah and Rhoda Richards from Mead township on July 12, 1877 in Central City, Nebraska. They were the parents of 7 children. (Photo to left)
1. Charles Monroe Shively (1878-1964) - Mattie Ellen Pressler (1883-1969)
2. Willis Lafayette (Lafe) Shively (1880-1956) - Maude E. Jameson (1885-1919)
m2 - Dolly Keo Moore (1890-1972)
3. Arthelia (Theal) Shively (1882-1950) - Laverne R. Porter (1884-1968)
4. Lulu M. Shively (1885-1906) - Clarence E. Lawson (1882-1949)
5. Lucy E. Shively (1891-1960) - Charles Albert Miller (1881-1949)
6. Lawrence Valentine Shively (1893-1951) - Ethel E. Owens (1891-1974)
7. Thomas Klar Shively (1896-1984) - Celia Agnes Goerl (1906-1984)
Shivelys have been residing on the homestead for the past 115 years. They received an Ak-sarben Award for a family occupying the same farm for 100 years.
Lucy E. Shively and Charles A. Miller had one daughter, Lois June (Miller Lindholm) Dawson. Lois was involved in research for the SHIVELY & the RICHARDS families. Submitter: Lois Dawson (Deceased)
NOTICE: Lola Mae Shively Barnett, daughter of Charles Monroe & Mattie (Pressler) Shively passed away 21 Dec 1998, Wheat Ridge, CO. It's been about three years since we visited there and Lola was delighted to correct her birth year in the family genealogy records, admitted "I made myself older when applied for marriage license" to Glen Jerome - neither was "21 yrs". Lola was 15 and Glen was 17. Our sympathy to the family - Lola was a grand lady!Return to surnames page
Merrick County Mini-Genealogy
© 1998-2007 for NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller