Sunday services begin with Sunday School at 10 A.M. and
continue with morning worship service at 11:00. Evening service is
at 8:00. Mid-week Bible study is held on Thursday evenings.
The first pastor was Rev. Lenora Ball and the present pastor is Dr. R. L. Morrow.
On the opening day of the new church, September 1, 1944, the Rev. T. P. Dunn, District Superintendent, gave the message.
Dr. Morrow arranged to have the Rushing Family, Radio Gospel
Singers of Lincoln, Nebraska, for the three services on opening
day. Over 200 persons were in attendance at the Sunday afternoon
service on that day.
In 1876 a frame church building was erected on land acquired from the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1881 the Rev. Eugene Garry was the first resident priest.
On July 1, 1910 Saint Michael's Church was formally incorporated under the laws of the State of Nebraska.
The pastors serving through the years included: The Rev. Albert Hork, 1890; James Gleason, 1891; Florian Delfosse, 1897; William O'Connor, 1907; Felix Gebauer, 1927; Anthony Kluthe, 1931; Hugh Gately, 1936; Martin Brady; Bernard Teves, 1940 and Joseph Duhammel, 1944.
In June 1950 The Rev. Ignatius C. Spenner became pastor and
under his guidance and direction the new Rectory was designed and
completed in 1951. He also designed the present church edifice and
celebrated the first Mass there on April 19, 1953. The church was
dedicated on May 26, 1953 by His Excellency, The Most Rev. Gerald
Bergen, Archbishop of Omaha.
In January 1928 the former Agnew home at 17th Avenue and 20th Street was purchased and remodeled into a church edifice. It was dedicated, free of debt, on December 30, 1928.
The first Reader was Mrs. A. E. Clark and the second Reader was Miss Minnie Dunovan.
The first Reader at present is Mrs. Louella Smith and the second Reader is Mrs. Ina B. Campbell.
The first lecture on Christian Science was given in March 1906 by Mr. Buskirk. The church was first organized as the Christian Science Society, Central City, Nebraska. On December 7, 1928 it was granted the right to become First Church of Christ Scientist.
The Charter Members were:
Mrs. A. E. Clark, Mr. and Mrs. Olsen, Mrs. Thos. Drinkall, Mr. and Mrs. John Lock, Mrs. A. A. Traver, Miss Tillie Skow, Mrs. L. Chandler, Miss Minnie Dunovan, Mrs. Jorgenson, Thomas Drinkall, Miss Alma Barrows, J. B. Johnson, Mrs. R. G. Desch, Mrs. Sarak (sic) Newville, Mrs. H. A. Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Williamson, Mrs. Carns.
Site Updated: 03 December 2015