NEGenweb Project
Merrick County
On Line Resources

Merrick County's 100th Year: 1858-1958

 

Photograph

CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH


CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Central City

Organized as "Lone Tree Mission" in 1872, and as Christ Episcopal Church, March 12, 1882.

Church Edifice erected in 1882.

First Rector -- The Reverend H. C. Shaw, Present Rector -- The Reverend Robert Ellwood.

Charter Members:
     Dr. and Mrs. Doolittle, Mr. Fleming, Mrs. Bartlett, William McEndree, James Vieregg Family, Albert Ewing Family, John Payne Family, Frank Parker Family, N. S. Belden, George Wells.

Photograph


THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
Central City

Organized January 19, 1872, at home of Reverend John Gunderman in Lone Tree.

After holding services in a schoolhouse the church edifice was erected in 1874. This was the first church built in Central City and the second in Merrick County. The location was Lots No. 7 and 8, Block No. 10, original town of Lone Tree (now Central City). On February 4, 1899, this property was traded to Mary E. Persons for the north one-half of Lots No. 3 and 4, Block No. 18, original town of Lone Tree, where the church now stands.

The first pastor was Reverend John Gunderman who served 8 1/2 years, the present pastor is Reverend Clint Reser.

The Charter Members were:
     Reverend John Gunderman, Orilla Gunderman, E. H. Wilder, Mrs. Julie A. Wilder, C. N. Carvier, Ira Jeffreys, Mrs. Hilton, Mrs. Ella McCabe and H. C. Osterhout.

Photograph


Compliments of
SMITH ELECTRIC
Central City


Compliments of
STATE THEATRE
Central City

49


 

Previous Page Button
Table of Contents Button
Index to Names Button
Next Page Button

© 2001 for the NEGenWeb Project by Mary Alice Vampola, Ted & Carole Miller