METHODIST CHURCH, Central City
This organization dates from June 24, 1866, when the first religious society was formed. Formal organization of the church was completed in the spring of 1872.
Erection of the first church edifice was started in 1873, and completed in 1877.
The first pastor to serve this church was a Circuit Rider, Rev. T. B. Lemon. The present pastor is Rev. Charles E. Funk, who also ministers to the Fairview Methodist Church.
A complete list of the names of Charter Members is not
available, but the following names are recalled:
THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Of Lone Tree, Now Central City
Organized on August 3, 1872.
First Church edifice erected in 1874, and dedicated on October 11, 1874.
First organization steps were led by Rev. George R. Carroll, District Missionary of the Presbyterian Board of Home Missions for Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota, accompanied by the noted missionary, Rev. Sheldon Jackson, who came to Lone Tree on Saturday, April 13, 1872.
First meetings were held in a hall over Person's Store, which is now Gambles. The first church building, a one room frame structure. was erected on the lot now occupied by the Manse and which was donated by the County Commissioners.
The present church building was dedicated June 28, 1914.
The first pastor was Rev. George W. Newell and the
present pastor is Rev. Robert O. McLeod. Twenty-one
ministers have served.
STRANBERG CARBUREATOR & ELECTRIC SERVICE
REV. AND MRS. GEORGE W. NEWELL
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, Central City
Site Updated: 03 December 2015