THE METHODIST CHURCH
In 1889 this group of Methodist people was formally organized
into "The Methodist Episcopal Church or Class of Palmer" under the
leadership of Rev. J. B. Leedom.
The Charter Members were:
Mr. and Mrs. Henry C. Wells, Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Curtis, Mrs. M. C. Cole, Mr. and Mrs. John Davis, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Templin, Mr. and Mrs. Z. E. Peck, Mrs. Pierce, Mr. and Mrs. Ramoth Sears, Miss Carrie B. Hull, Mrs. Hannah Davis and A. Wadsworth.
The first church building was erected in 1893 and remodeled in 1929.
The present pastor is Rev. Warthen T. Israel.
The Charter Members were Henry M. Cox, E. J. Cox, N. C. Arrents, Mary Arrents, J. H. Applegate, M. E. Applegate, Chetser Green, John A. Liese, Margaret Liese, Michael Blade, Angeline Blade, A. M. Templin and B. S. Templin.
Rev. Humphries of Aurora, Nebraska conducted the first services in the church on July 13, 1888. A downpour of rain kept eleven of the congregation in the church building all night. The dedication service, conducted by Rev. John T. Smith of Nebraska City, was held on July 15, 1888. Student pastors and nonresident ministers served the church for many years.
The first resident pastor was Rev. Harmon H. Utterback, called in 1902 at a salary of $8.00 per week. Rev. Utterback served faithfully for many years and is now retired and resides near the church which he pastored.
The present pastor is Rev. Edward Maertens.
No complete list of members is available but the following names appear:
David Foster, Paul Haux, W. H. McKenney, Ruth McKenney and Blanche Widaman.
Services were discontinued and the church building was sold in 1931 to the Assembly of God. This organization continued for about ten years.
Compliments of JENSEN HATCHERY Central City
Compliments of NIELSEN MOTOR & IMPLEMENT CO.
Site Updated: 03 December 2015