The first sermon was preached in Archer Hall by Rev. C. F. Haywood.
The new church edifice was dedicated on February 11 1900.
Mr. and Mrs. Burt W. Baker, Mr. and Mrs. C. D. Chapman, Mr, and Mrs. S. N. Gurney, Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Templin, Mr. and Mrs. Emil Hansen, Mrs. E. H. Wickham, Lina Wickham, Mrs. E. W. Lehr, Mrs. George Kull, Mrs. D. W. Overstreet and Mrs. M. H. Rawlings.
Present pastor, Rev. Warthen Israel.
The first church edifice was dedicated on March 16, 1884 and the name FAIRVIEW adopted. The fine new church was built in 1951.
The names of the charter members of the Fairview Church
Rev. and Mrs. Esplin, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Crites, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Jewell, Mr. and Mrs. C. D. Chapman, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Willeman, Mr. and Mrs. George Ferris, Mr. and Mrs. William Johnston, Mr. and Mrs. William Clark, Mr. and Mrs. George Clark, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Deselm and Mr. and Mrs. Amasa Insko.
Many pastors served this growing church and the following names
appear, although possibly not in the order in which they
Rev. Fairchilds, Rev. Donaldson, Rev. Dressler, Rev. Marsh, Rev. Pearson, Rev. Hilderbrand, Rev. Esplin, Rev. Wilson, Rev. Fowler, Rev. Porterfield, Rev. Leedom, Rev. Haywood, Rev. Keyes, Rev. Donnelly, Rev. Vogt, Rev. Green, Rev. Molesworth, Rev. Rorick, Rev. Shacklock, Rev. McReynolds, Rev. Underwood, Rev. Trezona, Rev. Taylor, Rev. Campbell, Rev. French, Rev. Sanders, Rev. Morey, Rev. Porter, Rev. Howe, Rev. Romick, Rev, Runnels, Rev. J. H. Fowler, Rev. Geiger, Rev. Brink, Rev. Fry, Rev. Tipton, Rev. Fishel, Rev. Whitman, Rev. Lowell Jones, Rev. Dawson Park and Rev. Charles Funk.
During recent years, the Fairview field has been joined with that of Central City, in that the resident pastors of the Central City Methodist Church have served both charges.
Established as a Mission Church in 1902, the first building was erected in the fall of 1903. M. L. Rossiter, a Catholic banker of Silver Creek headed a campaign for funds that made possible the first church. 40 mixed families joined in this effort,
Father Rembert Stanowski, O.F.M. of Duncan served as the first priest in the Parish. In 1908, Father Edward Soliwowski of Karakow (sic) cared for the parish. Beginning in 1917, Father John Kunkel of Clarks served the parish for 20 years. In 1938, St. Lawrence was a mission of St. Rose of Genoa.
On June 17, 1956, St. Lawrence Mission Parish was officially incorporated as a parish of the archdiocese of Omaha. Father John F. Wieczorek was the first resident pastor.
The following are the names of some of the earlier member families: Kulas, Dubas, Pollards, Dwyers, Shanahans, Donleys, Karges, Bacobis and Masons.
The first pastor was Reverend H. C. Shaw.
Among the Charter Members were: J. P. Shaw and E. C. Shaw and their families. These people were homesteaders in Silver Creek township.
This church is said to be the first church in Merrick County. It has been closed for many years. The church building was torn down and the parsonage sold. The first marriage in this township was William Jarman and Bridget McDermit in the Episcopal Rector's study, December 26, 1870. The first marriage in the church was in 1871. The first religious services were held in a log cabin in 1867 and were conducted by Henry Shaw and Samuel Goodale. The first death was Ann Fuhrman, interment being in the yard of St. Stephen's Church in 1871.
The church continued to serve its congregation for many years and the church building still stands, although services were discontinued a good many years ago.
The Reverend John Roberts was one of the early pastors.
The first church building was erected in 1889 and work on the present. church building was started about 1918 and was dedicated on September 11, 1921. The parsonage was built in 1924 and both buildings are in excellent condition. The present pastor is Rev. L. A. Hansen.
The present membership has grown to 189, with a Sunday School of 140. The church attendance averages 130. Some of the charter members were: Dr. E. L. Robinson, Dr. and Mrs. Crisp, and Mr. and Mrs. James.
The first pastor was Rev. Herbert J. Matt whose untiring efforts during a lifetime of service contributed very much to the success of the organization.
The present pastor is Rev. Lindley J. Cook.
The following persons were Charter Members:
Berry S. Abel, Lettie Abel, Charles W. Abel, Bessie Abel, Herbert W. Abel, Esther M. Abel, Lillian E. Abel, Mary Reeder, Joseph Reeder, William Shelton, James Stephen, William E. Solt, Nellie A. Solt, John N. Thompson, Seth Compton, Olive Compton, Elwood Knight Family, Hugh Littleton, Lizzie Littleton, Herbert J. Mott Family, Joseph Phelps Family, Newton Potee Family, William Roberts Family, Bertha Wadsworth, Mary Ida Ward, Lettie H. Willoughby, William Williamson, Gertrude Goodrich.
Early records indicate that a Friends Meeting had been established in Clarks, Nebr. in 1887, and also an organization north of Clarks called Prairie View.